MYSTcommunity: Horrible realization - MYSTcommunity

• 2 Pages +

Horrible realization After finishing EoA

#1 User is offline   Swampthing 

• Master of Games
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:03330098

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:05 AM

Correct me if i'm wrong here. Please do - I WANT to be wrong. Cause, hate him or hate him MOAR, Esher is the only fully D'ni-born and D'ni-raised person we've ever heard speak - right? So, he'd be the authority on correct D'ni pronunciation, amirite? And you know what that means...
Click to reveal hidden content
[kh] is the proper pronunciation of the apostrophe. "Dkhni", infamously quotes as "Ducknee", IS CORRECT. >_<

On an unrelated topic: it's quite clear that EoA was, first of all, about releasing the Bahro from their enslavement. But then... what the heek was the significance of anything we've achieved in Uru?! :=S

#2 User is offline   Allatwan 

• Prime Minister of the Black Moiety
  • KI number:01199433

Posted 04 November 2009 - 09:20 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I always thought "KH" was like "GH" and "KH" in Arabic!
Oh, I don't care! I find it cooler that way! :evil: Just to annoy you Myst fans, I will keep my strange almost-Arab accent in D'ni! Hahah! I defy your canon!

#3 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 04 November 2009 - 10:08 AM

View PostSwampthing, on Nov 4 2009, 06:05 AM, said:

Correct me if i'm wrong here. Please do - I WANT to be wrong. Cause, hate him or hate him MOAR, Esher is the only fully D'ni-born and D'ni-raised person we've ever heard speak - right? So, he'd be the authority on correct D'ni pronunciation, amirite? And you know what that means...
[kh] is the proper pronunciation of the apostrophe. "Dkhni", infamously quotes as "Ducknee", IS CORRECT. >_<

Yes, Esher is the only fully D'ni born and raised person we've heard (well, I think there might be a broken bit of an ancient D'ni recording somewhere in Uru, but other than that). Still,
1) The D'ni could have different accents, especially if they were raised in certain groups (elite or poor, for example, or in more isolated Ages or areas in the city).
2) It has been speculated that Esher has a speech disorder, perhaps as a side effect from snake venom. If I remember right, it was a fairly major person who was "speculating" this, too (like RAWA or someone).

I might note also that Gehn, who was born in D'ni and raised there for many of his early years, does not say "Ducknee"

On an unrelated topic: it's quite clear that EoA was, first of all, about releasing the Bahro from their enslavement. But then... what the heek was the significance of anything we've achieved in Uru?! :=S

Freeing them fairly inefficiently and ineffectually. Some of the basic problems with their enslavement were not changed (and Yeesha's failure with the Tablet and her pride issues might have negated any effect we had), and we couldn't free them all at once.

#4 User is offline   Talashar 

• oglahneth (ancient one)
  • KI number:00183867

Posted 04 November 2009 - 12:07 PM

View PostSwampthing, on Nov 4 2009, 07:05 AM, said:

Nope. RAWA has confirmed that Esher is pronouncing it wrong, and that after a consonant the apostrophe represents schwa [ə].

View PostSwampthing, on Nov 4 2009, 07:05 AM, said:

My take was that Uru involved freeing individual Bahro from a more physical prison, while End of Ages released them as a group from their servitude to the Tablet. But that's just speculation.

View PostAllatwan, on Nov 4 2009, 08:20 AM, said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I always thought "KH" was like "GH" and "KH" in Arabic!
Oh, I don't care! I find it cooler that way! :evil: Just to annoy you Myst fans, I will keep my strange almost-Arab accent in D'ni! Hahah! I defy your canon!

The D'ni kh is indeed like the (standard) Arabic kh.

#5 User is offline   Allatwan 

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:44 PM

YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!! I win! XD I'm more D'ni than I thought!

#6 User is offline   Swampthing 

• Master of Games

Posted 07 November 2009 - 03:18 PM

Thanks, i am greatly relieved. :=}

About Uru - it still feels quite pointless. Yeesha made it all sound so important... :=/ And the expansions even more so; unless someone knows of a profound purpose our actions in them served?

#7 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 07 November 2009 - 05:47 PM

View PostSwampthing, on Nov 7 2009, 01:18 PM, said:

Thanks, i am greatly relieved. :=}

About Uru - it still feels quite pointless. Yeesha made it all sound so important... :=/ And the expansions even more so; unless someone knows of a profound purpose our actions in them served?

Um, letting Yeesha see the futility of her plans and thus start working on her part in the EoA journey? Being helpful and perhaps befriending some bahro? Making sure that Yeesha didn't get bored and start making even stranger Ages and instancing?

#8 User is offline   Allatwan 

Posted 07 November 2009 - 05:51 PM

Lol, you sure seem to have gotten it before us! ^^ How about "so as not to make the Stranger die of boredom in D'ni"?

#9 User is offline   Mystress 

• "Crazy" is a relative term...
  • KI number:01792588

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:48 PM

View PostSwampthing, on Nov 4 2009, 09:05 AM, said:

Hate him or hate him MOAR...

Dude, no self-respecting Myst fan likes Esher *ever*. He's like the black sheep of the Myst villains; even the camoudiles are more popular. :evil:

#10 User is offline   Allatwan 

Posted 08 November 2009 - 03:26 AM

LMAO! XD Too true!

#11 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 08 November 2009 - 05:06 PM

View PostMystress, on Nov 7 2009, 06:48 PM, said:

View PostSwampthing, on Nov 4 2009, 09:05 AM, said:

Hate him or hate him MOAR...

Dude, no self-respecting Myst fan likes Esher *ever*. He's like the black sheep of the Myst villains; even the camoudiles are more popular. :evil:

Let's see, Esher has:

Atrus' habit of being useless and talking about random stuff when we want puzzle clues.
Gehn's old age and tendency to go on long monologues that don't help his cause.
Sirrus' smugness and taste for flamboyant evil.
Yeesha's insanity.
None of their advantages.

So yeah. Actually, he'd be sort of cool if he wasn't so obvious and so simple (which is probably due to the production time). He's actually got a sensible position (which is probably because he was first meant to be in Uru, and would have been a not necessarily villainous opposition of Yeesha [probably]), is actually kind of a nice friendly person sometimes (then the next appearance, or further along in the appearance, he's annoying Esher again), and he has cool goggles. Also, he ridicules Yeesha.

#12 User is offline   Talashar 

Posted 08 November 2009 - 06:48 PM

View PostGehn, lord of ages, on Nov 8 2009, 04:06 PM, said:

Actually, he'd be sort of cool if he wasn't so obvious and so simple (which is probably due to the production time).

Ironically, there were originally going to be multiple characters representing old D'ni (see here and here for concept art), but it was decided that a single character could be better developed.

#13 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:33 PM

View PostTalashar, on Nov 8 2009, 04:48 PM, said:

Actually, he'd be sort of cool if he wasn't so obvious and so simple (which is probably due to the production time).

Ironically, there were originally going to be multiple characters representing old D'ni (see here and here for concept art), but it was decided that a single character could be better developed.

The seers turned into Esher? :evil:

Wasn't there another concept art (I don't remember where) with someone who looked very much like Esher, though? It was titled something like "cavern prince", and he had a lantern in one hand, I think.

Also, was the mention about the Noloben survivor supposed to be Esher all along (as in, Esher fulfilling the same plot purposes as he is in EoA)?

#14 User is offline   Talashar 

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:40 AM

View PostGehn, lord of ages, on Nov 8 2009, 06:33 PM, said:

View PostTalashar, on Nov 8 2009, 04:48 PM, said:

The seers turned into Esher? :evil:

I don't think there's been explicit confirmation, but it's strongly suggested by these points:

1) The seers are unused End of Ages concept art.
2) End of Ages was once going to have multiple D'ni in the place of Esher.
3) The strategy guide has an unused bahroglyph described by its caption as Yeesha meeting some D'ni.
4) The D'ni in the bahroglyph look like the seers.

Much more than that I personally don't know.

#15 User is offline   Swampthing 

• Master of Games

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:35 AM

View PostGehn, lord of ages, on Nov 8 2009, 01:47 AM, said:

Um, letting Yeesha see the futility of her plans and thus start working on her part in the EoA journey? Being helpful and perhaps befriending some bahro?
Ah, you make a good point. My displeasures are layed to rest now. However, this part:

View PostGehn, lord of ages, on Nov 8 2009, 01:47 AM, said:

Making sure that Yeesha didn't get bored and start making even stranger Ages and instancing?
How would that have been a bad thing? :P

#16 User is offline   Mystress 

• "Crazy" is a relative term...
  • KI number:01792588

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:16 AM

It could possibly, if we look at the canon route, caused the new, stranger ages she wrote to become unstable no matter how well she structured the writing - or, in a Lovecraftian route, the ages might become so bizzare as to be physically or mentally damaging to the visitor. In other words, the new ages might literally damage your sanity or worse. So yes, it could be a bad thing, just because some of Yeesha's ages are rather bizzare.

#17 User is offline   Swampthing 

• Master of Games

Posted 13 November 2009 - 12:12 PM

Waaaaaaaah, now i really want those cosmic horror ages to exist! :P

Just remembered another thing: didn't Uru make it quite clear that Atrus is dead?

#18 User is offline   Talashar 

Posted 13 November 2009 - 12:38 PM

View PostSwampthing, on Nov 13 2009, 10:12 AM, said:

Just remembered another thing: didn't Uru make it quite clear that Atrus is dead?

It's implied, but not explicitly said.

#19 User is offline   Swampthing 

• Master of Games

Posted 13 November 2009 - 04:04 PM

Not just this note, there were others. One text spoke of Atrus in 3rd person and said something along the lines that the burden, or the guilt, finally crushed him. I guess that can be written off as him becoming a broken man, but not actually dying... and then there's the whole Relto thing. She says it was a gift to her parents, but here you are - receiving it from her. That seemed like a pretty clear implication that neither of the people the gift was originally given are still alive. But in the end of EoA, we see Atrus alive; not exactly full of vitality, but alive. So... qls?

#20 User is offline   Allatwan 

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:13 PM

Well, in my happy-perfect-fandom where everyone makes group hugs, has cake and where Yeesha wears pink, Atrus is alive and well! :P

#21 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:42 PM

View PostSwampthing, on Nov 13 2009, 02:04 PM, said:

Not just this note, there were others. One text spoke of Atrus in 3rd person and said something along the lines that the burden, or the guilt, finally crushed him. I guess that can be written off as him becoming a broken man, but not actually dying...

Yeah, it could just mean he was really depressed, or insane, or even that his health was shot or he just became an evil villain (that would have been an awesome twist).

and then there's the whole Relto thing. She says it was a gift to her parents, but here you are - receiving it from her. That seemed like a pretty clear implication that neither of the people the gift was originally given are still alive. But in the end of EoA, we see Atrus alive; not exactly full of vitality, but alive. So... qls?

Well, she could have decided that she would "give" it to her parents by giving it to the explorers. Also, Relto is instanced in such a way that he could be living on one of them (or even "they"). Or, of course, she could just now despise them, causing her to refuse to give them their present.

And isn't there an Atrus texture set in Uru?

It looks to me like they were feeling that Atrus should be dead around then, due to his age, but they didn't want to just start the thing with that (just in case they needed something later, or maybe because they didn't have a good story about his death yet), so they made it ambiguous. Then they needed Atrus to "connect" things in Myst V, but still liked the idea of the effect on the players of his death.

#22 User is offline   Allatwan 

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:48 PM

NOOO! He's alive I tell you! :P

#23 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 13 November 2009 - 06:16 PM

View PostAllatwan, on Nov 13 2009, 03:48 PM, said:

Have you played EoA? If so, then (major spoiler)
You've seen him alive there. Old and possibly senile, but alive.

#24 User is offline   Allatwan 

Posted 13 November 2009 - 06:26 PM

LMAO! :P No, but STILL! I'm like the cat people: even if he "died", he'd still be alive! :D To me anyway.... :blink:
'Coz I DEFY YOUR CANON! XD
Wait... I just realised that first sentence didn't make sence... :P Oh well.... blame it on the Dukh'nee! XD

#25 User is offline   Swampthing 

• Master of Games

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:09 PM

Hey, if you guys spell Escher's pronunciation of D'ni as "Duckni", how will you have him pronounce "Book of F'ni"? Escher will be banned by the mods!

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users