For Queen And Age! [OOC] A roleplaying game in the Myst multiverse

#51 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:16 AM

View Postpadfoot7726, on Nov 20 2009, 08:51 AM, said:

View PostGehn, lord of ages, on Nov 20 2009, 10:23 AM, said:

Also, when are the events set at? Is it Old D'ni time (Kings, Guilds, BoT), or Gehn's Era (BoA), or Atrus' Era (Myst through Myst IV), or the DRC Era?

That's what I was thinking when skimming through this (kinda confusing) thread. I'd also like to know. If it's a Gehn or Atrus era, then I think I'll join in, but I don't know enough about the other times.

If you're going to make a male character, I'll be happy to answer any questions you have about the other eras. :P

#52 User is offline   padfoot7726 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 20 November 2009 - 12:52 PM

View PostGehn, lord of ages, on Nov 20 2009, 11:16 AM, said:

View Postpadfoot7726, on Nov 20 2009, 08:51 AM, said:

View PostGehn, lord of ages, on Nov 20 2009, 10:23 AM, said:

Also, when are the events set at? Is it Old D'ni time (Kings, Guilds, BoT), or Gehn's Era (BoA), or Atrus' Era (Myst through Myst IV), or the DRC Era?

That's what I was thinking when skimming through this (kinda confusing) thread. I'd also like to know. If it's a Gehn or Atrus era, then I think I'll join in, but I don't know enough about the other times.

If you're going to make a male character, I'll be happy to answer any questions you have about the other eras. :P

Thanks. :P I'll probably think over it and post my character later.

#53 User is offline   Swampthing 

• Master of Games
  • KI number:03330098

Posted 21 November 2009 - 04:42 PM

The time is now. If your character is from Earth, or is otherwise aware of Earth's calendar - that's year 2009. I think that makes it post-DRC.
However, you don't actually need any relevant information to play it. Your character doesn't even have to know who the D'ni are. The last time any NPC in this campaign had anything to do with D'ni was many centuries ago - before Ti'ana's time.

Oh, and as a guideline for what's canon, far as this game concerned: where the books and games conflict - the games are our canon.

What did you find confusing, Padfoot? I'll do my best to fix it. Maybe the deficit of player we're seeing is due to similar confusion.

#54 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 21 November 2009 - 04:58 PM

View PostSwampthing, on Nov 21 2009, 02:42 PM, said:

The time is now. If your character is from Earth, or is otherwise aware of Earth's calendar - that's year 2009. I think that makes it post-DRC.
However, you don't actually need any relevant information to play it. Your character doesn't even have to know who the D'ni are. The last time any NPC in this campaign had anything to do with D'ni was many centuries ago - before Ti'ana's time.

So only humans and D'ni really need any knowledge of D'ni and all. Like Erkos... I'm going to have to revise his backstory just a little (or else he's really ancient).

Oh, and as a guideline for what's canon, far as this game concerned: where the books and games conflict - the games are our canon.

Uru canon?
(Uru canon differs from Revelation canon in that D'ni is shown as somewhat more technological - more computer-like devices, for example - the DRC clearly exists, and there are bahro and other dark secrets in D'ni's past. Revelation canon differs from Riven canon on whether trap books are real. Riven canon differs from Myst canon in that "Dunny" is replaced with "D'ni", and there's more of a foreign flavor to the environments. Exile fits in either Riven or Revelation canon. Myst V is in Uru canon, for the most part. That should explain things for most any Myst fan [unless they just read the comics or something]).

#55 User is offline   Swampthing 

• Master of Games

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:55 AM

View PostGehn, lord of ages, on Nov 22 2009, 12:58 AM, said:

Uru canon?
(Uru canon differs from Revelation canon in that D'ni is shown as somewhat more technological - more computer-like devices, for example - the DRC clearly exists, and there are bahro and other dark secrets in D'ni's past. Revelation canon differs from Riven canon on whether trap books are real. Riven canon differs from Myst canon in that "Dunny" is replaced with "D'ni", and there's more of a foreign flavor to the environments. Exile fits in either Riven or Revelation canon. Myst V is in Uru canon, for the most part. That should explain things for most any Myst fan [unless they just read the comics or something]).

Wow, i didn't realize there were so many differences. How does Revelation conflict with any of the things you mentioned as Uru canon? Ok, i'll try to answer clearly:

* Wherever books provide info and the games do not - the books are right. What i mentined earlier is only about times where a book fact conflicts with a game fact.

* D'ni was advanced as wahrk, by the time of the fall. Furthermore, it was actually capable of much more than it was implementing, in ways of technology: the Coucil's conservative approach put any development that was not truly necessary on ice, but the records of every such invention still exist somewhere. Any technology seen in any part of the canon is canon, and has been implemented there {and proabably elsewhere} and then {and probably before}.

* The DRC clearly exist...ed, at some point. Uru shows them disappearing, right? If somebody wants to play a character who was DRC, or in regular contact with them - you are free to decide thier fate {within reason} and put it in your background. Otherwise, far as anyone knows - they were, they're gone, they left stuff behind.

* Yeah, Bahro are definitely canon. The rules explicitly allow you to play one.

* Trap Books are Prison Ages with an extra feature. Said extra feature {which causes linking into such an age, when occupied, to eject the previous occupant} was most likely the invention of Atrus or Gehn. Alternatively, it could have been a proper D'ni invention, whose used was discontinued very quickly after it was first officially applied, due to the obvious problems there are with it. The family we know and love simply liked the invention much more than the D'ni state did.

* It's definitely spelled D'ni and is foreign as wahrk. How the heek it is pronounced will probably depend on whether you were raised in upper class society, among commoners, or entirely outside of D'ni and just learned the language from texts. Nobody knows where the stress goes.

#56 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 22 November 2009 - 12:08 PM

[quote name='Swampthing' post='385086' date='Nov 22 2009, 02:55 AM'][quote name='Gehn, lord of ages' post='385073' date='Nov 22 2009, 12:58 AM']Uru canon?
(Uru canon differs from Revelation canon in that D'ni is shown as somewhat more technological - more computer-like devices, for example - the DRC clearly exists, and there are bahro and other dark secrets in D'ni's past. Revelation canon differs from Riven canon on whether trap books are real. Riven canon differs from Myst canon in that "Dunny" is replaced with "D'ni", and there's more of a foreign flavor to the environments. Exile fits in either Riven or Revelation canon. Myst V is in Uru canon, for the most part. That should explain things for most any Myst fan [unless they just read the comics or something]).[/quote]

Wow, i didn't realize there were so many differences. How does Revelation conflict with any of the things you mentioned as Uru canon?[/quote]
Well, Revelation doesn't expressly say much about D'ni technological advancements, so it's not very obviously removed from Riven canon in that regard. It does show more tech (the journal, the cameras, the pod) then Riven and the books would suggest (although these could be Atrus' inventions), but not as much as Uru. Also, there aren't references to bahro or D'ni slavery and suchlike. (in reality, each new game and book changed the canon in slight ways, often going towards a more "foreign" and uniquely D'ni feel, and adding in more and more D'ni technological skill, but I just separated them into a couple categories to simplify things)

[quote]* The DRC clearly exist...ed, at some point. Uru shows them disappearing, right? If somebody wants to play a character who was DRC, or in regular contact with them - you are free to decide thier fate {within reason} and put it in your background. Otherwise, far as anyone knows - they were, they're gone, they left stuff behind.[/quote]
In To D'ni, they are shown to have left the cavern. They returned in D'mala and MOUL, but it is at least assumed that they left again (when MOUL closed).

[quote]* Trap Books are Prison Ages with an extra feature. Said extra feature {which causes linking into such an age, when occupied, to eject the previous occupant} was most likely the invention of Atrus or Gehn. Alternatively, it could have been a proper D'ni invention, whose used was discontinued very quickly after it was first officially applied, due to the obvious problems there are with it. The family we know and love simply liked the invention much more than the D'ni state did.[/quote]
Perhaps following Atrus' journal in Riven?
Click to reveal hidden content
[quote]A Prison Book -
Many years ago, during a hunting expedition through the ruins of D'ni, I chanced upon a formula for a most unusual type of Book. Unfortunately, due to the fact that my father was then in the habit of confiscating my discoveries, I was forced to leave it behind. Years later, however, as part of my efforts to protect the vulnerable worlds linked to the Books in my library, I was pleased to find that I could still recall most of the formula, and with little experimentation quickly succeeded in creating one of these devices myself.
The procedure is actually quite simple: by altering key lines of text but slightly, a normal Linking Book's connection can be partially severed, such that anyone who attempts to use the Book will be permanently trapped in the dark between the void of the Link - that is, unless someone else then uses the Book, at which point that person would become trapped, and the first person displaced back into the world.
The technique can be applied to Books that have already been written, changes to the original text being so slight that anyone who is unfamiliar with the code will be unable to detect them.[/quote]

#57 User is offline   Allatwan 

• Prime Minister of the Black Moiety
  • KI number:01199433

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:43 AM

Hey, just wanted to say I drew Erkos and Lunnane during the week-end. Might post them here :P Coming up soon: Aalana...
When will we actually start playing, BTW? Are we waiting for a special amount of people to join? Or a special date?
[edit] ohhhh.... I just re-read Gloa's description- he changed it! It doesn't look like Erkos much, then. Either I'll make another one, either... I'll ask someone more talented to do something about it! XD [/edit]

#58 User is offline   Swampthing 

• Master of Games

Posted 23 November 2009 - 12:34 PM

We're waiting for two more people to join. As soon as we have 6 players - we can begin.

#59 User is offline   Allatwan 

Posted 23 November 2009 - 12:55 PM

That's good. :P
OK, so now...

JOIN NOW, YOU REMAINING TWO PEOPLE!!!! XD

#60 User is offline   luna 

• meh
  • KI number:141809

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:16 PM

I have drawn a map of tertesev (why, because I felt like it ) and a character. Well I made a sim in sims2 that looked a bit like my character, made two screenshots, printed them and traced them. I then adapted the pictures somewhat ( sims 2 doesn't support facial ridges, missing thumbs and white hair strangely enough). I have to say that even using that, I still managed to mock up the fingers and mouth ( and more), these are supposed to look normal :P. Shows how bad I am at drawing beings that have to look even remotely like humans :P
Attached Image: character1.JPG

and of course I support Allatwan :D

YOU! Join! I know you are out there!

#61 User is offline   Allatwan 

Posted 23 November 2009 - 03:13 PM

Oh, how niiiice! ^^ I'll try to scan and colour mine! ^^ I'll need to COMPLETELY re-make Erkos, though :P Unless Gloa accepts him with random D'ni-ish clothes instead of his Scribe-like robes... sorry, guys, but I hadn't seen your updates! Expect some from me too, tomorrow or sometime during the week. :P

#62 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:47 PM

View PostAllatwan, on Nov 23 2009, 09:43 AM, said:

Hey, just wanted to say I drew Erkos and Lunnane during the week-end. Might post them here :D Coming up soon: Aalana...
When will we actually start playing, BTW? Are we waiting for a special amount of people to join? Or a special date?
[edit] ohhhh.... I just re-read Gloa's description- he changed it! It doesn't look like Erkos much, then. Either I'll make another one, either... I'll ask someone more talented to do something about it! XD [/edit]

Oh yeah, I probably should have mentioned that. :P

View PostSwampthing, on Nov 23 2009, 10:34 AM, said:

We're waiting for two more people to join. As soon as we have 6 players - we can begin.

impatientimpatientimpatientimpatient...
:achenarbook: :sirrusbook:
Come on, people... all the cool kids are joining, so should you!
this is the official "join, you people" colour, endorsed by the Committee of For Queen And Age Needs YOU

View Postluna, on Nov 23 2009, 12:16 PM, said:

( sims 2 doesn't support facial ridges, missing thumbs and white hair strangely enough)

No white hair? Are you sure? What are old people supposed to do?

View PostAllatwan, on Nov 23 2009, 01:13 PM, said:

Unless Gloa accepts him with random D'ni-ish clothes instead of his Scribe-like robes...

That could actually look interesting, but yeah, it would look quite different from Erkos. Easy concept art for another player, perhaps (and a male character at that) :P . Or it could be a backup character in case your characters kill Erkos or something.

#63 User is offline   Swampthing 

• Master of Games

Posted 24 November 2009 - 03:37 AM

Yay, art!

I edited our first post. Apparently, i forgot to do it immediately after saying i will, last time. >_< Anyway, hopefully less confusion now. Also, note the slight change in my signature. XP

About the trap books, i think the best resolution is this: Atrus was too moral to make any experiments that would inevitably leave someone trapped, so his conclusions were imperfect. In fact, the result of messing with an Age in this way, still leaves the Age intact. Thus, anyone linking through ends up in that Age, rather than "the dark between the void of the link", but linking when someone is already in will still eject the latter and that is still the only way to leave.
...Incidentally, that means Gehn is on a prison age we know nothing about. An Age. Appearing in the games. That we know nothing about.
*shows early symptoms of Mystfan Fever*

That kinda leaves the questions of how was anything shown in Revelation possible.
I think Atrus and Katran grew softer about their sons, at some point {it's mentioned in Revelation, vaguely}. That's when the Linking Chambers were built and the "visits" started. Obviously, that was also when Atrus wrote changes into Haven and Spire, which made them into regular Prison Ages again, to make these visits possible and the linking chambers necessary.
...Incidentally, that means a skilled enough Writer could "correct" in the same manner Gehn's book, making it possible to link into that age without automatically unleashing Gehn. Just saying.

Here, now we don't have huge, gaping inconsistencies anymore.

#64 User is offline   luna 

• meh

Posted 24 November 2009 - 05:05 AM

View PostGehn, lord of ages, on Nov 23 2009, 11:47 PM, said:

View Postluna, on Nov 23 2009, 12:16 PM, said:

( sims 2 doesn't support facial ridges, missing thumbs and white hair strangely enough)

No white hair? Are you sure? What are old people supposed to do?

I didn't see it, although old people do have white hair in sims. Maybe it is only an option by old people

Swampthing said:

...Incidentally, that means Gehn is on a prison age we know nothing about. An Age. Appearing in the games. That we know nothing about.

...Incidentally, that means a skilled enough Writer could "correct" in the same manner Gehn's book, making it possible to link into that age without automatically unleashing Gehn. Just saying.

hmm, could be interesting in the game

#65 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:55 AM

View PostSwampthing, on Nov 24 2009, 01:37 AM, said:

*shows early symptoms of Mystfan Fever*

Actually, we do know a little about it.
We know that the link in point looks like K'veer (Atrus and the brothers in Revelation described the link in points they saw as identical to the actual Age appearance, so it isn't likely that the linking panel is completely false), and that it is close enough to K'veer in writing that Gehn trusts it (so it probably doesn't say "open sky" or "underwater" or "five moons" or something like that, although Gehn could probably miss more subtle differences).

Hmmmm...

#66 User is offline   Allatwan 

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:36 AM

Hehe, I always thought so! I must be a D'ni writing genius! XD Kidding! That reminds me of one of my old unpublished fan-fics I destroyed! :P LOL! But that would actually be interesting for a game... ^^
BTW, Gloa, I don't get your acronym... :P was it supposed to be linked with Gehn escaping?

#67 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 24 November 2009 - 01:02 PM

View PostAllatwan, on Nov 24 2009, 09:36 AM, said:

BTW, Gloa, I don't get your acronym... :P was it supposed to be linked with Gehn escaping?

Nope :P

#68 User is offline   Allatwan 

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:26 PM

Ahah, OK! :P

#69 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:26 PM

A quick mockup with the current character art:
Posted Image

Might have to make it longer to fit three more characters without getting squished.

By the way, this post...

View PostLostthyme, on Nov 16 2009, 05:15 PM, said:

I'll try to draw Erkos, if you want. I'm not promising anything good, though. I'm not that great at drawing people of the male gender.

Lies. :P

#70 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:16 PM

So, uh, I'm interested in joining in! But you'll have to give me until this weekend to make a charsheet?

I was gonna make a girl, but it seems we have a dominance of female characters to date, so should I make a boy?

#71 User is offline   Swampthing 

• Master of Games

Posted 25 November 2009 - 06:26 AM

OMY! Gla, i love it! :=O
I just noticed something: Erkos looks very european, despite being Amad. Lunanne, on the other hand, looks quite amerindian.
Oh, after looking long enough, i also catch something of Atrus and Achenar in Erkos. Iiiinteresting...

Capella: feel free to make a girl! It would be interesting to have a party that's predominantly female. {I only had one such party before, and then the players were all of ages 10-13. ^_^} Besides, there will eventually be NPCs tagging along, and any such persons have a 50% chance of being male. :=D

#72 User is offline   luna 

• meh

Posted 25 November 2009 - 07:00 AM

I wouldn't see too much in how Lunanne looks now, Swampthing. In fact, I hope Allatwan finds the time to post a better looking picture of her. But you're indeed right that she looks a bit indian with her hairstyle and clothing. :P.

And what for females somehow I don't think they're will be a lot of the friendly chatting that is usually associated with females :P

#73 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:30 AM

View PostCapella, on Nov 24 2009, 08:16 PM, said:

So, uh, I'm interested in joining in! But you'll have to give me until this weekend to make a charsheet?

I was gonna make a girl, but it seems we have a dominance of female characters to date, so should I make a boy?

Yay, another player!

View PostSwampthing, on Nov 25 2009, 04:26 AM, said:

OMY! Gla, i love it! :=O
I just noticed something: Erkos looks very european, despite being Amad. Lunanne, on the other hand, looks quite amerindian.

Erkos is european because the only Amad we've seen looks very european (I don't know, maybe the tribe has some interesting backstory?)

Oh, after looking long enough, i also catch something of Atrus and Achenar in Erkos. Iiiinteresting...

Well, Erkos is probably somehow related to Keta, who was Atrus' mother...

Capella: feel free to make a girl! It would be interesting to have a party that's predominantly female but with more males than just Erkos, of course. Like, at least one more, so he's not the only male player character in the whole thing.

Fixed. :P

View Postluna, on Nov 25 2009, 05:00 AM, said:

And what for females somehow I don't think they're will be a lot of the friendly chatting that is usually associated with females :P

Friendly chatting, friendly killing each other due to deep emotional insecurities, what's the difference?

#74 User is offline   Swampthing 

• Master of Games

Posted 25 November 2009 - 12:46 PM

There are at least two key male NPCs i have in mind, at least one of them will be eager to join the team once encountered.
Anyway, this thread {as well as my PM inbox} needs moar Zang!

Speaking of PMs - Allatwan, weren't you gonna send the rest of your background in?

It's awesome that we're gonna have Capella, but i also ponder where U disappeared... and, more recently, Padfoot too... :=/

Wowowowow! I didn't know about Madoc and Brendan! :=O The thought about the results of either journey meeting the Vinlanders is rich in potential...

#75 User is offline   ZangieF 

• MC's self-proclaimed IT security expert
  • Group: Member
Posted 25 November 2009 - 01:46 PM

View PostSwampthing, on Nov 25 2009, 10:46 AM, said:

There are at least two key male NPCs i have in mind, at least one of them will be eager to join the team once encountered.
Anyway, this thread {as well as my PM inbox} needs moar Zang!

Speaking of PMs - Allatwan, weren't you gonna send the rest of your background in?

It's awesome that we're gonna have Capella, but i also ponder where U disappeared... and, more recently, Padfoot too... :=/

Wowowowow! I didn't know about Madoc and Brendan! :=O The thought about the results of either journey meeting the Vinlanders is rich in potential...

Bah, I know, I keep meaning to reply to that and then busying myself putting in one more (virtual) coin in MAME to play another round of Galaga '88, or some such thing. XD

Share this topic:

• 29 Pages +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users