MYSTcommunity: EoA Fly Mode. Getting to Releeshahn? - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

EoA Fly Mode. Getting to Releeshahn?

#1 User is offline   olddude 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 21 November 2009 - 10:16 AM

*There may be spoilers here for both for the game and for flying*

When you are transported to another area/age in the game and the bar doesn't appear at the bottom of the screen, to show loading progress, you know the new location is already loaded and nearby.

For instance: If you fly out to the center cable car support on Todelmer and position yourself halfway between the support and the nearest column, then lower yourself through the ground for a few hundred virtual yards, you'll find the space pod.

When you are in Kveer at the conclusion of the game, nothing loads as you are transported to Releeshahn. That indicates to me that it's somewhere nearby.

I know you can visit Releeshahn with your URU avatar using Drizzle but in MYST V, you are paralyzed when you get there and fly mode doesn't work.

I've tried initiating fly mode prior to being transported and flying up or down before the Bahro wings appear but I just end up in total darkness with the Releeshahn bird sounds playing.

Am I right about Kveer and Releeshahn co-existing? Has anybody found Releeshahn while flying?

Has anybody flown to Kveer from Releeshahn using Drizzle in URU?

Can you imagine how someone who doesn't play MYST would react to that last sentence?

#2 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 21 November 2009 - 01:45 PM

View Postolddude, on Nov 21 2009, 08:16 AM, said:

Am I right about Kveer and Releeshahn co-existing?

I'm pretty sure they are. I remember seeing a thread recently discussing that they had to pick between K'veer and Releeshahn in Drizzle because they were in the same Age or something (I don't remember where I saw this). Also, the music for Releeshahn is labeled k'veer, right?

Can you imagine how someone who doesn't play MYST would react to that last sentence?

:P

#3 User is offline   Zardoz 

• shokhootahn (instructor)
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 21 November 2009 - 03:19 PM

There's a discussion of this issue in this Guild of Maintainers thread. As I recall, Releeshan is not loaded until Yeesha links you there, but the fixes described in that thread changes that.

#4 User is offline   olddude 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:44 AM

View PostZardoz, on Nov 21 2009, 04:19 PM, said:

There's a discussion of this issue in this Guild of Maintainers thread. As I recall, Releeshan is not loaded until Yeesha links you there, but the fixes described in that thread changes that.

Very cool! Thanks!

#5 User is offline   Allatwan 

• Prime Minister of the Black Moiety
  • KI number:01199433

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:33 AM

:reads whole thing: OMG! :P That's awesome! I wish I could go and actually see Rehleeshahn one day! :P

#6 User is offline   olddude 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:08 PM

View PostAllatwan, on Nov 23 2009, 12:33 PM, said:

:reads whole thing: OMG! :P That's awesome! I wish I could go and actually see Rehleeshahn one day! :P

Don't get too excited. Keep in mind that you are positioned and held in specific places at the successful completion of M5. The Releeshahn age is only what you can see. You can fly around and look at the way it's constructed but the parts are meant to be viewed from a very limited perspective. It's not like you're going to see more stuff by flying (or falling) down the stairs.

#7 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 23 November 2009 - 09:19 PM

View Postolddude, on Nov 23 2009, 04:08 PM, said:

View PostAllatwan, on Nov 23 2009, 12:33 PM, said:

Don't get too excited. Keep in mind that you are positioned and held in specific places at the successful completion of M5. The Releeshahn age is only what you can see. You can fly around and look at the way it's constructed but the parts are meant to be viewed from a very limited perspective. It's not like you're going to see more stuff by flying (or falling) down the stairs.

Well, from the pictures I've seen there's a little more of the little trees around the place, and there's some nice new views. But in general, yeah... its made to be viewed from one general perspective only.

#8 User is offline   olddude 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 24 November 2009 - 08:23 AM

View PostGehn, lord of ages, on Nov 23 2009, 10:19 PM, said:

Well, from the pictures I've seen there's a little more of the little trees around the place, and there's some nice new views. But in general, yeah... its made to be viewed from one general perspective only.

The Age is essentially the patio you are linked to. Beyond that are the equivalent of low-res painted flats, arranged to give the illusion of 3 dimensions. What you can't see from the game's perspective is more rock wall behind you and the beginning of steps, supposedly going down to the lush valley. The steps aren't solid and the valley is just a matte painting with a giant lance protruding out of it.

You'll remember that Yeesha and Atrus go toward but never actually go down the steps (smart move). If you try to walk down the steps, you may very briefly see a character from the game as you free fall.

#9 User is offline   Allatwan 

• Prime Minister of the Black Moiety
  • KI number:01199433

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:15 AM

Still- any little bit of view you get is nice! :P

#10 User is offline   olddude 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 25 November 2009 - 08:19 AM

View PostAllatwan, on Nov 24 2009, 12:15 PM, said:

Still- any little bit of view you get is nice! :P

I agree.

One of the coolest things about fly mode in any of the 3D games, is seeing how the game designers have constructed things and created illusions. There are many surprises. If you haven't explored the ages in fly mode you're missing an amazing experience.

#11 User is offline   Zardoz 

• shokhootahn (instructor)
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:16 AM

View Postolddude, on Nov 25 2009, 06:19 AM, said:

One of the coolest things about fly mode in any of the 3D games, is seeing how the game designers have constructed things and created illusions. There are many surprises. If you haven't explored the ages in fly mode you're missing an amazing experience.

A dude after my own heart. For realMyst, I expressed that sentiment here. And probably the coolest example of creating illusions is the Selenitic maze. Within the game, you see the maze only through the window. Fly mode enables you to get outside the maze runner and see the environment in which the maze exists. Very cool.

#12 User is offline   Free Bird 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Admin
  • KI number:343012

Posted 25 November 2009 - 01:48 PM

View Postolddude, on Nov 25 2009, 02:19 PM, said:

If you haven't explored the ages in fly mode you're missing an amazing experience.

And I gladly choose to miss out on something that would only serve to spoil the magic for me.

#13 User is offline   olddude 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:25 AM

View PostZardoz, on Nov 25 2009, 11:16 AM, said:

A dude after my own heart. For realMyst, I expressed that sentiment here. And probably the coolest example of creating illusions is the Selenitic maze. Within the game, you see the maze only through the window. Fly mode enables you to get outside the maze runner and see the environment in which the maze exists. Very cool.

Your realMYST flying shots were my main impetus to get the patch and start flying. Unknowingly, I even took a shot from a nearly indentical position to one you had on your site from Channelwood.

realMYST is a bit more challenging to fly in because things often remain solid but you can sometimes wiggle through tough places if you're persistent enough. Getting there from here is the game within the game.

#14 User is offline   Lostthyme 

• Quab Wrangler
  • KI number:00280695

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:54 AM

View Postolddude, on Nov 25 2009, 08:19 AM, said:

One of the coolest things about fly mode in any of the 3D games, is seeing how the game designers have constructed things and created illusions.

Too true. One of my favorite things to do in fly mode is to fly at the background scenery. It's funny, but they were almost parodying the methods for that in Ahnonay.

#15 User is offline   MicroProcessor 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 28 November 2009 - 01:12 PM

Looking at the screenshots taken from the Guild of Maintainers website, this is pretty cool to look at that small amount, even if only a little of it actually works fine outside of the intended perspecitve.

I should try doing fly mode some time, I'm too lazy to set it up, but I certainly am interested in seeing the ways the developers constructed everything and created effects with illusions of various types, that kind of stuff always interests me.

#16 User is offline   laughingpineapple 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 29 November 2009 - 03:27 PM

Too true. One of my favorite things to do in fly mode is to fly at the background scenery. It's funny, but they were almost parodying the methods for that in Ahnonay.

Ahem. Was I the only one a bit late in realizing that those things were 'really fake' and not poor modelling on Cyan's part? :P

Anyway. If someone's going to Releeshahn, can they please take a few 'shots of what little we cannot see from the fixed EoA angle?

#17 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 29 November 2009 - 04:10 PM

View Postlaughingpineapple, on Nov 29 2009, 01:27 PM, said:

Ahem. Was I the only one a bit late in realizing that those things were 'really fake' and not poor modelling on Cyan's part? :P

Were you the person who swam all the way over to them, presumably saw the framing and walkways behind them, and then was still so convinced that they were shoddy work that you posted a bitter rant about how poorly the Age was designed? If not, then no you were not the only one (if so, you still probably weren't the only one, but you are the only one I remember hearing about).

Anyway. If someone's going to Releeshahn, can they please take a few 'shots of what little we cannot see from the fixed EoA angle?

The Guild of Maintainers thread linked to earlier in the topic has some pictures from different angles (also, an Uru avatar in amongst the stuff).

#18 User is offline   laughingpineapple 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 29 November 2009 - 05:07 PM

Lol no, not me :P :P :D My Truman Show moment was just delayed by a fleeting "oh, too bad they didn't have the money for everything, I was so looking forward to those ruins... why did they let us get near them, though, they managed well in Gira... WAIT, WHAT?" :blink:

Thanks for the tip, I hadn't checked the link. It's exactly what I had been looking for!

#19 User is offline   tansunn 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member
  • KI number:04139576

Posted 29 November 2009 - 06:15 PM

The only thing that bugged me about Ahnonay was the way the frames and walkways on the image screens just sort of faded into existence as you got close. Other than that, I thought the effect was brilliant.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users