• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Review my Speech!

#1 User is offline   aander91 

• Forum game like its 2008
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:00087015

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:39 PM

Neil Peart, from the canadian progressive rock band, Rush, is known for being an intriguing lyricist, and incredible songwriter, and he is widely considered to be one of the world's best drummers. But to many, he is far, far more than that. He is a survivor. He has overome incredible obstacles, excruciating emotional pain, and the very fact that he is alive today is a testament to his profound perserverance.
In the mid 90's. Neil had it all. Freedom, wealth, a job that he loved, and a close knit family, incliding his wife, Jackie, and his daughter of 19, Selena. They led a good life, enjoying the comforts of a successful musician, but things were about to be set in motion that would take Neil to unbearable depths of pain and sorrow. On July 4th, 1997, Neil Peart's daughter and only child, Selena, died in a tragic accident while driving home from college. The accident ruined them both, left them in a cold world with no way out. At Selena's funeral, Neil told his bandmates "Consider me retired." Neil went on trying to recover. But recovery never came. They lived empty lives, the days dragged on and the numbness remained. They looked for a reason to live, finding no warmth in life. They were walking blindly into an ice storm of remorse. Soon, the horrible emotional pain cultivated into a physical pain in the form of cancer. Jackie battled the cancer, but only half heartedly. Neil obsevered that it was as if she almost saw the cancer as salvation. A way out of the darkness, and an end to the terrible pain that made every day a living hell. After ten months of drawn out depression, Jackie, finally succumbed to Cancer. Neil was ruined, but he knew that this was what she had wanted. He described it as a "a slow suicide by apathy." Neil knew that there was nothing he could do. He had lost his entire family in less than a year. He sat alone in a home filled with the ghosts of his past. He knew he had to get out, or he would they would destroy him. It takes a strong person to go through all of this pain and not turn to drugs, alcholism, or even suicide, and Neil was strong. He knew that these weren't options and that he had to find another way. Like a man posessed, he abandoned his home and rode off on his motorbike, not knowing where he was going or for how long he would ride. His trusty bike had led him on great adventures before, but this time, it needed to lead him to safety. He rode for days on end, not stopping for anything but food and shelter. He soon found that he had traveled from his home in Quebec all the way to Alaska, and the freedom breathed life into his soul once again. Soon, the freedom was like a drug, he couldn't get enough. He rode all the way down to California. He found beauty in nature's grand design and it empowered him further. He felt life returning to him, and he felt better than he had ever felt in his entire life. He felt his connection to the world was stronger than ever, and he started to feel his senses coming back to him. He then travled down to Mexico, and finally, he flew home from an Airport in Belize.
From his travels, he connected with life in a way that he had never done before! He felt blessed to still be alive, and he realized that he can go on, and that he can honor his lost family by doing what he loves most, making music. Today, Neil is working on a new album with his band after 3 successful studio albums and 3 tours just in the past 5 years. Neil even wrote a song about his travels called "Ghost Rider" which he performs at nearly every concert.

#2 User is offline   Lostthyme 

• Quab Wrangler
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:00280695

Posted 03 December 2009 - 05:00 PM

So your speech is entirely about Neil Peart? What is the speech for?

I know the speech isn't completed yet, but I would suggest throwing in a quote said by Peart, or something someone said about him. I've gathering from what you've written (and your love of Rush) that you're praising him. I think it effectively conveys the grief and hopelessness that Peart experienced and his recovery from it.

And he really drove his motorcycle from Quebec, to Alaska, all of the way down to Belize? Wow.

It's good so far. How long is the speech supposed to be?

I don't think anyone would want to read my speech I'm writing right now. It's about how the Declaration of Independence is a great work of rhetoric.

#3 User is offline   aander91 

• Forum game like its 2008
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:00087015

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:17 PM

Alright, it's finished. It's for my upcoming ASL competition on Saturday, and it's supposed to be 3-4 minutes. I just timed it. It's like six. But it's easier to scrap stuff than to add to it.

And about your speech, I seem to remember someone doing a speech similar to that about 2 years ago and medaling. :D

#4 User is offline   Lostthyme 

• Quab Wrangler
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:00280695

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:16 PM

My speech isn't for any medals. It's for a rhetoric class. And unfortunately, the teacher doesn't particularly like me. Actually, she gave me a death glare just earlier in the school year.

Good luck on your competition. :D

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users