MYSTcommunity: Achenar isn't crazy - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Achenar isn't crazy

#1 User is offline   penguindude 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 14 December 2009 - 05:19 PM

Well, I'm finally finishing up Haven, and as I'm listening to his journals, I'm thinking, "What happened to the laughing, mad-clowinish Achenar in the first Myst?"

Well? How do they explain the sudden change in Achenar's behavior?

#2 User is offline   aander91 

• Forum game like its 2008
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:00087015

Posted 14 December 2009 - 05:54 PM

Shhh, it's a sekrit.

#3 User is offline   Shinkansen 

• Friendly Forum Curmudgeon
  • KI number:00759215

Posted 14 December 2009 - 05:55 PM

They were probably counting on twenty years alone with a bunch of fluffy mangrees would make anybody not laughing, mad, and clownish.

Though of course, it seems the Achenar in Myst IV was a more "My father never loved me so I'm bitter and I mutilate animals" kind of Achenar, while Myst Achenar is more of the "KNIVES!!!! MWHA HA HA HA, HE HE HE, HO HO HO!!!" variety.

Then of course, there's the question of why twenty years alone with a bunch of fluffy shiny crystals didn't make Sirrus all nice and happy.

Or what would have happened if Sirrus ended up in Haven and Achenar went to Spire, besides Achenar jumping off the ledge out of frustration and Sirrus loosing his mind and becoming King of the Mangrees.

#4 User is offline   ShorahNagi 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:09 PM

View PostShinkansen, on Dec 14 2009, 06:55 PM, said:

Or what would have happened if Sirrus ended up in Haven and Achenar went to Spire, besides Achenar jumping off the ledge out of frustration and Sirrus loosing his mind and becoming King of the Mangrees.

I'm pritty sure the Cerpatee or Camoudile would have gotten Sirrus first before he even had a chance to meet the Mangrees. So maybe it's a good thing each brother ended up where they did...

#5 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 14 December 2009 - 07:00 PM

View Postpenguindude, on Dec 14 2009, 03:19 PM, said:

Well, I'm finally finishing up Haven, and as I'm listening to his journals, I'm thinking, "What happened to the laughing, mad-clowinish Achenar in the first Myst?"

Well? How do they explain the sudden change in Achenar's behavior?

1. Drugs/alcohol, specifically the lack of them in Haven.
2. Lots of years to look back at his crazy self and be horrified.
3. Hard work, especially altruistic work.
4. He's still pretty crazy - or rather, appears crazy. Listen to the memories of his speeches especially. Achenar is much more sane sounding in his writings (even in Myst - remember the letter about taxation he wrote to Sirrus?). He's very emotional and has trouble communicating, so he just says everything he's thinking at the moment - when he writes, he can pause and think out his statements. We didn't see this in Myst much because he didn't leave a lot of writings for us to read through.

#6 User is offline   Talashar 

• oglahneth (ancient one)
  • KI number:00183867

Posted 14 December 2009 - 07:40 PM

The change in Achenar's personality between Myst and Revelation can't be attributed to his time on Haven. The Achenar from the amulet flashbacks is essentially the Achenar of Revelation's present, not the Achenar of Myst.

#7 User is offline   Allatwan 

• Prime Minister of the Black Moiety
  • KI number:01199433

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:19 AM

View PostGehn, lord of ages, on Dec 14 2009, 08:00 PM, said:

2. Lots of years to look back at his crazy self and be horrified.

Oh God! Now THAT'S scary! XD

#8 User is offline   Sonic_light 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:36 AM

There's also the introduction of Yeesha. He seems to have gone into big brother mode (not Orwell, mind you) when they brought her into the mix. Just looking at his actions after Sirrus sprung them from their prisons, the first thing he did was try to protect Yeesha. Mind you, I'm not saying that this was an instant sanity potion, but it helped.

#9 User is offline   laughingpineapple 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 15 December 2009 - 10:15 AM

Achenar is much more sane sounding in his writings (even in Myst - remember the letter about taxation he wrote to Sirrus?). He's very emotional and has trouble communicating, so he just says everything he's thinking at the moment - when he writes, he can pause and think out his statements. We didn't see this in Myst much because he didn't leave a lot of writings for us to read through.

This is an excellent point, never outright stated in the games but so, so true. :D
Point 2, 3 and Yeesha are facts, all confirmed by his diaries and actions.

#10 User is offline   penguindude 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:56 PM

View PostSonic_light, on Dec 15 2009, 09:36 AM, said:

There's also the introduction of Yeesha. He seems to have gone into big brother mode (not Orwell, mind you) when they brought her into the mix. Just looking at his actions after Sirrus sprung them from their prisons, the first thing he did was try to protect Yeesha. Mind you, I'm not saying that this was an instant sanity potion, but it helped.

One problem, however, is that we find journals of when he first came to Haven, which would've been before we met him in Myst.

Or maybe I had the wrong impression... Haven is the "prison age" we see Achenar in during the first game, right?

#11 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 15 December 2009 - 07:14 PM

View Postpenguindude, on Dec 15 2009, 04:56 PM, said:

View PostSonic_light, on Dec 15 2009, 09:36 AM, said:

One problem, however, is that we find journals of when he first came to Haven, which would've been before we met him in Myst.

Or maybe I had the wrong impression... Haven is the "prison age" we see Achenar in during the first game, right?

Yes, Haven is the blue book prison Age from Myst. Parts of his journals are written before the Stranger arrived in Myst. The difference is mainly the difference between his writing and speaking. In his speeches, he's surprised, probably tired or distracted, and trying to convince an unknown stranger to help him. In his journals, he can write when he's calm and has thought about his statements a little more.

Also, we see his writings as more sane because there's a slow movement towards calmer and saner writing and actions in Revelation (so we equate the sane and the less sane writings as one rather sane tone). In Myst, even his sanest moments are surrounded by lots of crazier things.

There's also the Sirrus factor. In Myst, Sirrus is very careful and rational (relatively speaking), which is meant to make Achenar seem more crazy (and vice versa). In Revelation, Sirrus is starting to snap, and we only hear his journals and some improvised speeches (which do not hide his craziness as well as his careful persuasive speeches in Myst).

#12 User is offline   laughingpineapple 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 15 December 2009 - 07:25 PM

Before and after, I believe... but his earlier entries are not what I would call sane. Progress is shown. It could be argued that it's not enough, but it's there. I used to think so, but this writing VS speech thing is making a lot of sense in my head right now.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users