MYSTcommunity: Releeshahn Flying. The Adventure Continues - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Releeshahn Flying. The Adventure Continues Or: How I spent my Christmas Eve

#1 User is offline   olddude 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 24 December 2009 - 04:11 PM

This may save a MYST V flier some trouble sometime.

See the previous thread about flying to Releeshahn to see how the trouble began.

The cautions about MYST V spoilers apply here too.

Instead of hacking the URU Drizzled version of the MYST V Ages on my PC, I used The MacEoATool to hack the EOA installation on my Mac.

In the MYST V resources, I found the Kveer.age file in the dat directory and changed the line in the prescribed way.

Beautiful! I could now get to Releeshahn from Kveer, just by flying straight up! So far, so Good.

Things are a little surreal up there. There's a very odd totem pole and the usual characters waiting off-stage. You can walk in some places but you'll fall through the ground in others.

The sounds and effects from both Kveer and Releeshahn are now combined in both areas.

You can't avoid making Heaven and Hell comparisons.

I tried saving a game while I was up there, so I wouldn't have to fly up all of the time, but I was always taken back to Kveer when I tried to use the saved link.

Here's where the trouble started:

I was working with my "Player 1" game, the one where I had first played through the game and completed all of the puzzles, saving each step so I could return to any point or puzzle in the game. Players 2 through 5, were either sparsely saved or had no saved games.

This was stupid. I should have been using one of the other players but I had no idea this could happen.

I had flown up to Releeshahn with the tablet from the Keep, and dropped it near the Yeestrus totem, then quit the game.

Big mistake!

The next time I launched the game and continued from Player 1, Huzzah! I was taken back to Releeshahn but...

The final sequence of the game stared to run. The Atrus character started moving, the Yeesha character linked in and they started their speeches. The tablet was in front of me but, of course, I was paralyzed and couldn't pick it up.

Now a Bahro linked in, picked up the tablet and linked out. There was a wing in front of my face and blackness. Atrus and Yeesha continued their conversation. The wing appeared again and I was still in the same place watching the two characters, who were still going through their paces, oblivious to how screwed-up things were.

I let the game end and tried to continue Player 1 again with the same result. I forced a quit but there seemed to be no way out of this cycle and no way to get back to any saved point in Player 1.

I found the sav folder in the Myst V End of Ages folder, in the Application Support folder, in my user library. "Store1", had to be the saved game folder for Player 1.

I reasoned that "GlobalState.data" must be your current state of existence within the MYST V sphere. It was a lucky guess.

I removed that file, restarted the game and continued Player 1. The game started from the beginning with the intro movie. Good! At least I wasn't stuck in the end sequence.

I forced a quit. A new GlobalState.data file had been created. I copied the GlobalState.data file from my Store2 folder and replaced the newly created one with it.

I relaunched the game and continued Player 1. It took me to the last place I was in Player 2. I now had my journal available and selected a save point from it.

Player 1 was back to normal. Whew!

And yes, I backed up Store1 when I was done. :D

#2 User is offline   Lostthyme 

• Quab Wrangler
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:00280695

Posted 24 December 2009 - 05:41 PM

Sounds like you had an... interesting Christmas eve.

So... I have to ask. Was getting the chance to walk around Releeshahn worth all of this trouble? :D

#3 User is offline   olddude 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 25 December 2009 - 07:45 AM

View PostLostthyme, on Dec 24 2009, 06:41 PM, said:

Sounds like you had an... interesting Christmas eve.

So... I have to ask. Was getting the chance to walk around Releeshahn worth all of this trouble? :D

The trouble was worth the trouble, if you know what I mean.

Some very interesting puzzles exist beyond normal game-play.

#4 User is offline   laughingpineapple 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 26 December 2009 - 03:44 PM

An... interesting read :rotflol:

the two characters, who were still going through their paces, oblivious to how screwed-up things were.

Yeah, that's EoA's ending, allright :D

#5 User is offline   Mystress 

• "Crazy" is a relative term...
  • KI number:01792588

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:46 PM

Oh man, I'm sorry you got... uh, trapped in the end sequence, olddude... :D

That's a... really bizzare glitch to have. Weird.

Also, I want some pics of flying in Releeshahn, if you have them. Pretty please, for your favorite whippersnapper? :rotflol:

#6 User is offline   Allatwan 

• Prime Minister of the Black Moiety
  • KI number:01199433

Posted 28 December 2009 - 04:14 AM

I've a question: how does one chose "flymode"? I mean, I've been trying to upload it for Uru, but I don't know how/where you chose it to start with it :D Does anyone know?

#7 User is offline   olddude 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:11 AM

View PostMystress, on Dec 27 2009, 10:46 PM, said:

Also, I want some pics of flying in Releeshahn, if you have them. Pretty please, for your favorite whippersnapper? :D

I've been wanting to do an EOA flying page for my site and I have some time to put it together now. You'll be the first to know when it's done. How's that? You can let me know if you need hi-res versions of anything.

"Favorite whippersnapper?" Hmmm...

View PostAllatwan, on Dec 28 2009, 05:14 AM, said:

I've a question: how does one chose "flymode"? I mean, I've been trying to upload it for Uru, but I don't know how/where you chose it to start with it :rotflol: Does anyone know?

A search may turn up the python.pak patches for the 3D games. The one for URU has been hard to find in recent years. If you don't have any luck finding the URU patch or the EOA patch for Mac or Windows, PM me. In realMYST you must manually change some lines of code and continue to change them to move up and down. Those instructions are still available.

In URU you hit the "esc" key to activate and deactivate fly mode then use the space bar to raise and lower yourself. Use the mouse or arrow keys to move about.

In EOA, the "3" key activates fly mode.

#8 User is offline   Allatwan 

• Prime Minister of the Black Moiety
  • KI number:01199433

Posted 28 December 2009 - 12:14 PM

Thanks a lot! :D

#9 User is offline   olddude 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:16 PM

A small gallery of my EoA flying images is now available. It includes a Releeshahn page. Yes, I sent Mystress a PM about it this morning.

MC members and guests may enter the gallery through this page, with a special image created by flying. I know many of us have wanted to do this very thing. Flying provides the means.

All others must use the site index.

Enjoy!

#10 User is offline   Lostthyme 

• Quab Wrangler
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:00280695

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:01 PM

View Postolddude, on Dec 30 2009, 02:16 PM, said:

A small gallery of my EoA flying images is now available. It includes a Releeshahn page. Yes, I sent Mystress a PM about it this morning.

MC members and guests may enter the gallery through this page, with a special image created by flying. I know many of us have wanted to do this very thing. Flying provides the means.

All others must use the site index.

Enjoy!

That picture! :D

Some of those pictures are really nice. Would it be okay with you if I used some of them to make backgrounds?

#11 User is offline   olddude 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:25 PM

View PostLostthyme, on Dec 30 2009, 04:01 PM, said:

Some of those pictures are really nice. Would it be okay with you if I used some of them to make backgrounds?

Personal message sent.

Just so it's clear to anyone else who might want to use these images, I don't own them. Cyan does.

They have a legal policy about how their properties may be used and how many images, sounds etc., may be used, probably still somewhere on their site. I last saw it when I was emailing Ryan Miller about the images I had planned to use on my site in 2005.

#12 User is offline   only_achenar_lover 

• lontahn (discoverer)
  • Group: Member
  • KI number:00656745

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:43 PM

olddude, you clearly have an issue with Esher, as it seems you're always sneaking up on him. :blinky:
But I like the first pic of him, squatting like a froggy!
And alos Yeeshatrus XD

#13 User is offline   olddude 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 31 December 2009 - 08:24 AM

View Postonly_achenar_lover, on Dec 30 2009, 09:43 PM, said:

olddude, you clearly have an issue with Esher, as it seems you're always sneaking up on him. :blinky:

I guess I might have an issue with Esher. I find it tedious and annoying to have to wait for his speeches to end every time you encounter him in the game. Flying lets you avoid him but...

I think there may be a way to eliminate Esher from the game entirely. It would involve changing more lines of code, like the one that allows Releeshahn to load or not load with Kveer. I'm only guessing about this but it my be my next non-sanctioned, out of game-play puzzle. It could also cause more trouble.

I'll need to do some searches first to see if anybody else has tried this. If not, you may read about it later...

#14 User is offline   aander91 

• Forum game like its 2008
  • KI number:00087015

Posted 31 December 2009 - 11:48 AM

Remove Esher?!

Click to reveal hidden content
Is there any chance you could remove Yeesha? Or better yet! Replace them with Bahro!

#15 User is offline   olddude 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:14 PM

View Postaander91, on Dec 31 2009, 12:48 PM, said:

Remove Esher?!

Actually removing Esher was far easier than I thought it would be:

Open the SDL folder and find the file for the location you want to eliminate Esher from.

Example:

Open the Descent.sdl file. Find the lines that start with "bool boolEsher".

For those lines, change all of the "default=0;" lines to "default=1;"

No more Esher in the Descent part of the game.

The options for quitting the game or changing the settings might be temporarily unavailable in the locations where Esher is supposed to be but they will come back.

You can use this information to figure out how to remove other characters but I'm thinking Yeesha may be problematic. Who will link you to the Descent part of the game? Will it still work? Let me know if you try it.

Edit 1/1/10

I had to try it myself. Yes aander91, you can...

Eliminate Yeesha from the beginning of the game but Kveer is the only age you will ever see.

I have subsequently eliminated Esher from every age except MYST (which didn't work for some reason). It's a luxury, moving around the game without getting waylaid.

#16 User is offline   olddude 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 05 January 2010 - 09:17 AM

The spoiler warning still applies, if you've entered the thread somewhere after the beginning.

Just another point of interest or pitfall to avoid, depending on your perspective:

It's also possible to initiate the ending of the game without playing any of the game at all.

Start a new game. Fly up to Releeshahn. Land by Yeeshtrus, then walk next to the railing until you get to the point where you are normally linked in. You'll know when you get there. You'll be captured buy the game and will have to endure the ending yet another time. :blinky:

In my case, subsequent continuations of the game after doing this deposited me back in Kveer, so the Releeshahn trap apparently only takes effect if you have come back to Kveer and acquired the tablet. That is, AFAIK...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users