For Queen And Age! IC

#1 User is offline   Swampthing 

• Master of Games
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:03330098

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:17 AM

Click to reveal hidden content
Welcome to the In-Character thread!
* To maximize immersion, there will be no Out-of-character talk here, beyond this post. Anything you wish to say OOC about anything in the game goes in the OOC thread. Any questions about the game? Ask them in the OOC thread.
* If it has to be attached to a specific IC post - include it here, but wrap it in Spoiler tags. 
* Please disable your signature when posting IC. It helps separate your character from her/his player.
*Your first IC post should be a description of what your character was doing at the time when our adventure starts. Remember that your character had no prior knowledge that this is about to happen! Simply show a fragment of the character's day, then stop at any point you wish. The GMs will take you from there. :=D

#2 User is offline   Yntu Bux 

• rehlyihmah (the unseen)
  • Group: Member

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:53 AM

- Move to the left, your fan gets in the frame!
- Like this?
- Too far! It's not reaching her hair now, move closer. Good! Got it! Your turn.
Illanit got off the unsupervised bike, to stand behind Sharon and get a look at the digital camera's screen, and lifted her hand to catch the hand-held fan Shefer turned off and now threw to her. It grazed her fingers and fell on the grass. She left it there for now, while Shefer climbed on the Harley Davidson and put on a pair of shades left in the basket behind its seat, which were way too large for his face.
- Should i take it off? - Shefer pointed his thumb at the many-pocketed jeans vest he wore over nothing.
- Only if you want your pic to look like it's from a gay pride rally!
- Yeah, either keep it on or loose the shades - added Sharon, suppressing a burst of laughter to match Illanit's own.
Shefer giggled too, but it seemed somehow artificial, like he didn't really get the humor. For a moment, a spark of guilt passed in the girl's mind: what if Shefer's gay? Would that make her comment insensitive? He seemed flirty enough with both of them, and a few other girls, but some things did point towards... But his cheerful voice snapped her out of her second-guessing:
- Here, how's that?
- Cool! Got it!
Sharon switched the lighting mode on the camera's controls, as a thin cloud previously obscuring the sun now withdrew from it completely, then passed the gadget to Ilanit.
- Take one with both of us. Shefer, move back on the seat!
As her sister pointed the camera back at the unsupervised Harley, Sharon quickly placed across the lawn to join Akhishefer, their eccentric friend with the oddly hued skin, who pushed himself backwards along the bike's seat, taking his feet off the stirrups, and was now trying to free a few stray hairs of his that got caught in the hinge of those large shades.

#3 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:07 PM

Ben leaned forward onto the counter, chewing idly on the stick of a lollipop. Lyall waited patiently, knowing he was not going to be able to get anything out of the laconic shopkeeper until Ben was good and ready to share it. He ignored the itch to move, reassuring himself that he would be out of there soon enough, and Ben might have something important to say to him.

“You gonna be all right out there?” Ben finally asked in his smoking-roughened voice.

Lyall shot him a puzzled look. “Is there a reason I would not be?”

“Well, you've been out of town for a couple days, so maybe you haven't heard. There's been some tracks spotted outside of town- big predator tracks. Might be coyote, but Danny swears it's wolf. You might wanna postpone your camping trip.”

Lyall shook his head. “I go camping once a month. You know that.”

“I just don't want you eaten up. You know the kids would hate it.”

At that, Lyall had to smile. Ben's children were wonderful. Nine and eleven, they had helped Lyall learn English in the school, and in return he had taught them- edited, of course- some old Iyeransian tales, and later, some rudimentary survival skills, like starting a fire.

“I am not afraid of wolves,” he reassured them gently. “Besides, Danny is a tale-teller, and he would prefer it to be a wolf over a coyote. If it were that way, he would have a better tale to tell. It is likely that the tracks are those of a coyote that has moved on.”

“I suppose you're right. You'll be back in in a week, though?”

“Of course I will,” Lyall assured him.

He stepped out of the shop and took a deep breath. It wasn't that he didn't like Ben. He did. But the general store was always filled with a variety of smells, some of which were pleasant, some of which were not. His sensitive nose could easily pick out the overlapping scents of soda, popcorn, convenience meats, plastic packaging, and more that always filled the store. Coming outside was like stepping into a completely different world. It would be even better when he left town and got out into the desert.

There the air would be clear and crisp, untainted by the smells of gasoline, of perfume, of the myriad ways in which humans had an effect on the smells of the environment. The air was dry, and burned his nose with sand particulates when he breathed in. After three years, he really should have been used to it, but he had come from a more forested land, and sand was still obnoxious. The temperature was colder than he would have expected in a desert before- it was winter, after all, and even the desert was subjected to winter- but it wasn't cold enough to actually bother Lyall. The heat bothered him intensely, but unless it began to snow regularly, it wouldn't affect Lyall.

In less than an hour, he was out of the town- would have taken him less than a half hour, had he not been stopped a few times by friendly townsfolk wishing him farewell. Most of them, despite living in the desert their whole lives, had little interest in what lay beyond the town boundaries- unless it was another town, or Vegas, that is. They respected the desert, sometimes cursed it during the worst dry seasons, but they held no interest in really being a part of it, and they couldn't understand the fascination Lyall had with it.

Perhaps it was his origins in Iyeranse, though he could never explain that to them; they would consider him crazy. But Earth's technology had seemed quite strange to him when he had arrived, and he was still wary of much of it. Even if he had the legal status to acquire something such as a credit card or a car, he held no interest. He worked at simple jobs, he earned cash, he bought what he needed, and he walked where he needed to go. He had what he needed in his life, and what Earth humans so often surrounded themselves with was, well, luxury. They were so disconnected from their land, even as they lived on it. To Lyall, it would forever be strange.

He needed his monthly trips into the desert for more than the most basic reason. They were a way to connect back with nature, a way for him to return to something he knew. The land was not the same, the climate was not the same, and certainly none of the flora was the same. And he could not reach out to it and draw its power into himself, as he had done in Iyeranse so effortlessly. Yet there was something that called him out here, over and over again. There was still power in the way the wind blew, in the chill crisp air of the night, in the presence of sharp-edged rocks that had jutted out of the ground for decades and would be there decades later. Just because he was unable to touch it didn't mean he couldn't acknowledge it, and when he did, he felt close to home.

It was just getting to be twilight when he reached the spot where he intended to stay this night. It was a small oasis with fresh water and a rocky outcropping that would block the morning sun that he could take shelter under- assuming there were no snakes there, but he could chase them out if there were any. He reached behind him and unhooked the bigger canteen from his big camping backpack. He would get some water first, and then start setting up his sleeping arrangements.

#4 User is offline   padfoot7726 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:38 PM

Ranath sat deep in thought, poring over the ancient D'ni text. His study of the Art had gone on for 94 years, but he still felt the drive to become as experienced as possible in it's intricacies.

The stone desk he worked at sat in the north corner of a hidden D'ni basement, under a home in a small and remote cavern of D'ni. Ranath hid here. He wasn't sure why. Perhaps he was paranoid. But lately (meaning the last one or two decades) he had been hearing more noises on his excursions through the remote cavern. His excursions were mainly to find food, water, and new resources for learning the Art and, at times, the interesting D'ni culture.

He had just gotten back from one actually, and still had his pack on him when he sat down to look at this book, which, from what he could tell, was written more than two thousand years ago. Quite a prize. He had also grabbed another Kortee'nea, which he thought would come in handy when he began writing his third age. His other two had each taken over a decade, and were his pride as a Writer.

He got up for a moment, walking across the dimly lit room to get a glass of water.

#5 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:05 PM

Erkos paced back through the small hallway.

"It appears to be another puzzle, Gehn," he declared to the grey haired bat swinging carefully on his hand, "A word puzzle of such kind, then some way to manipulate it as onto a series of colored lights."

The D'ni have advanced minds. Remember that. It is their delight to defend themselves not with force - for what can resist the power of other Ages? - but with their minds and puzzles.

"I think a combination lock lies behind the puzzle - there is naught else that would force the wall to take that shape. That may use the code in the numbered tiles. Do I bore you, Gehn? Go - fly away home. You know the way as well as I do."

Erkos watched the bat soar over the masonry of the Lower City until it was out of sight. Then he returned to the lock and cautiously entered a color code.

In the darkness they walk through the streets,/ Looking to each other for reasoning; / Trying to comprehend the mourning that floods the city, / And holds them against lying down. / There are others that ignore the crying. / They are confident in strength, and speak as if immortal. / They too fall to the dance of death, and as they do / They hold in memory the nights of restlessness.

-

Erkos sat down, penciling in the newly discovered corridors into his series of maps. To these maps he carefully glued on several photographs of the areas to aid in later navigation. It was not, as he had hoped, a productive adventure. Other explorers had arrived before him - using their heavy technology to carve a way through the plumbing system. Instead of a shipment of cloth and fruit, all that was left in the storage was a rusted crowbar. Erkos placed that in his pocket anyway, along with his helmet and D'ni goggles. He would not need them in the return trip.

There is a returning of seasons, /Death and living, / Until an ultimate end. / The path is cleared at the end of time. / Do not be afraid of the injury, it is the path of peace when it is needed. / An area for long suffering. / An area of stone.

He began writing in his journal. It was a new one, as he had finished the last journal just a day ago. The pages were still crisp as if it was newly made, but Erkos knew it was much older than it seemed. The book had come from his journeys through the D'ni city, and it predated the declines of them both.

"The journal of Erkos, of the Amad. Let those who read it have reason. Let those who know it have caution." Without dating the first entry, he began to write in neat D'ni.

"Warehouse twelve from sector 1 is barren. Signs of previous entrance, and most likely the removal of goods by human hands. Recovered one crowbar.

Will return to the boat after ending this entry. I will return home the next day, as my supplies are not such as to continue my explorations in this area. I also do not wish to leave my surveillance of the few individuals left in the caverns."

He had little else to mention at the time, so he put the book away and extinguished his firemarble. Without glancing at his map, he began rewinding his steps through the corridors of the building.

In this class, you will learn of the Art of the D'ni. Here indeed is the greatness of my people. The power of our knowledge is quite immense. To those who do not know it, it might seem mysterious or unpredictable, but the D'ni have mastered such elements into their own control.

#6 User is offline   Lostthyme 

• Quab Wrangler
  • KI number:00280695

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:10 PM

"Calculus. I hate Calculus." Sylvia was trudging through the local park, her backpack slung over her shoulder. There was no way she would ever be able to finish the homework back at home: her sisters would be all over her with their giggling and their talk of boyfriends. Sylvia couldn't help but wish that she was an only child. She would rather brave the winter frost than deal with her sisters.

A few minutes into her walk she came across an abandoned pavilion set back off of the main path. It would be protected from the biting wind, it had a few benches and tables, and it was away from other people: it was perfect. She shivered and grumbled a bit as she dropped her bag on the table and slid into a bench. Still sighing, she cracked open her book. "Okay, first problem," she muttered as she fiddled around in her bag for a pencil and a calculator.

"Differentiate Posted Image"
After a few minutes of scribbling and calculator button pushing Sylvia moaned and threw her pencil down. "I never should have slept through that class." She rested her head down on the book.

Sylvia felt her eyes begin to close. She didn't even fight it as her mind drifted away and she fell asleep.

#7 User is offline   luna 

• meh
  • KI number:141809

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:22 PM

I’m leaving” says Lunanne watching Acke, her friend, from the doorway to the bedroom. “Are you sure you should be up already?” he asks worried. “I have packed” she says “I cannot stay” “did I do something wrong?” asks Acke looking confused. “No, you were great, just everything here reminds me of it “she says. “Do you have everything” he asks. Lunanne rolls her eyes “of course I have everything it isn’t the first time I go into the wild” She opens her bag “Look, food, drink, rope, blanket, some bowls and even soap. And of course my knife and linking book back”. Acke hugs her and whispers into her ear “it was not your fault” “I know” she answers “it’s just that “. “Sst." says Acke and steps away “good bye”. “Goodbye” says Lunanne, climbs down the pallet and walks into the wild forest.

After some miles walking she decides to rest by a stream and fruit tree. She picks some fruit from the tree and sits down. “Alone” she thinks “I haven’t been so alone for months”. A squee slowly approaches her from the bushes “food?” it asks. “Here some fruit” she says and gives the squee a piiece of fruit. It looks at her and tells her “you sad, eat fruit, you happy” .Lunanne smiles “I’ll try it out” and takes a bite from the delicious fruit while she opens her mind to the forest.

#8 User is offline   Allatwan 

• Prime Minister of the Black Moiety
  • KI number:01199433

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:44 PM

Aalana licked her lips nervously, not daring to look behind her or on her left side. There, through the window, was Kerr'Ys as she'd always known it. High spires loomed up towards the surface, small crowded streets were decorated with long fishing nets hanging from the roofs over the streets with lots of little coloured lamps. She sighed as she heard the door open, and then close slowly.
"Your brothers and I finished getting the ship ready up there. Are you sure you want to do this?" she heard a deep voice boom. She slowly turned around, taking her long dark hair out of her face to see her father better. There he was, a tall dark-ginger-haired man with a beard in a long dark green tunic and plaid cloac, his gold torque necklace and brooch glittering in the bright but flickering lighting or the richly furnished room. He would have looked like any clan chief from Bro Keinmor if one hadn't noticed his long grey-blue fish tail under the tunic. For they were all in Kerr'Ys... the legendary "sunken city"- a city that had never sank, as the Kantrieren legends claimed it, but had been built underwater by the Morzened.

"Yeah, I am, Tadig, you know I have been getting ready for this for two months already! I won't turn back now..."
The tall man nodded sadly. "Yes, master Khaleem, your teacher, told me. He will be waiting for you at the D'ni capital, but we will need to make a stop at Keriolet first, for business I have there- I did tell you about this before, didn't I?"
The dark teen nodded silently. She had been ready for this, but now, she was almost a bit aprehensive, since it wouldn't be like the first time she'd been to D'ni. Back then, she was with master Khaleem, her D'ni preceptor, and it had been for a very short time. This time, she had made it clear to him and her parents she wanted to explore it herself, and maybe even go to that legendary world "on top"! They called it the surface. She wondered what it looked like.
"Are we leaving, then?" Luhaan asked. She nodded.
"Will Mamm be there too before I leave?"
"Of course".
_____

The D'ni capital was just another pretty island in Bro Keinmor, except the architecture was clearly D'ni. Everything went by five, was made of Nara and had intricate stained glass paintings representing scenes of the ancient city and its culture before the mysterious "Fall" she had heard of at school. Gweltaz sulked as their father talked with master Khaleem and she put her heavy bag containing everything she had over her shoulders.
"I cannot believe you are going to the droched's world! It is bad enough they're all trying to make this world theirs, but now they want to take our people away, teaching them their language and Art... It's dangerous, you know..." the pale boy made a face as he said this. His sister laughed.
"Droched? No, they aren't madmen- or idiots either, Gweltaz! Trust me, I'll be back soon enough to hear you at the next Samhain ceremony".
"But that's in a year! Surely you'll be back earlier!" the young boy sounded angry.
"Gweltaz, things like time don't all work the same in other worlds... but I promise I'll be back as soon as possible".
"Promise me you'll make a song about it", her brother sighed with resignation. He knew his sister: she was stubborn alright, a true Morzened. He'd never make her change her mind, no matter which excuses he'd chose. He hated realising he missed her already.
"Aalana!" their father called, "I think it's time to say goodbye".
She hugged them all tightly and went in master Khaleem's house where he would give her more of those worried and annoying recomendations everyone at Kerr'Ys had given her.
An hour later, they were in his study, looking at the linking book he barely used now, since it only led to a ruined city.
"Well... I think we've pretty much talked about all there was to talk about before you left. All I can say is... good luck, Aalana", he patted her on the back, "I hope you find what you want over there".
"Chehvshehm, Navah. Shorah b'shehm!" She said in a pure high-pitched voice that had no traces of an accent.
"Shorah b'shehm..." the aging man replied, his voice tailing off as she linked.
_________

Aalana closed her journal. It had been three months already since she had gone, and she could remember everything clearly... How she had re-visited D'ni and had, several times, felt the odd feeling of being watched without having ever seen anyone. Then, the surface... the very bright sunlight, the gorgeous desert, so much red that stood out from the sky's deep blue hue... she had gasped and walked for a while before reaching an interesting place- some sort of Cleft in the rock. It was deserted, but looked like people had lived there at one point. And then, the book. She remembered how she had opened it only to stare: it was a linking book. She had linked, naturally... and had landed on some cold and irritating island where she had met a strange D'ni man that reminded her a bit of her father, physically, and whose name was Atrus. A strange name indeed, but not as strange as his request. After freeing him, she had thought she would have been able to go back to the surface a bit. But no, Atrus asked her to go free his wife on some other Age. She had stared, and he had added "my friend".
"Yeah, some sort of friend! I don't even know the guy", she had snorted to herself upon arrival- to a CAGE. Yes, Atrus had made her link to a cage. And outside, some fairly idiotic-looking young man slightly older than herself was starring at her with huge eyes.
"What, you want my picture?" she'd replied in agressive D'ni. He had broken up in some uncomprehensible language mixed with D'ni.
"Oh great, just great..." she had sighed. The "idiot" had then stolen her D'ni trap book and she'd been freed from that cage by a rebel. "Now what?"
Well, now that she just sat there in front of the Fissure with her notebook, waiting for Katran to say goodbye to her friends, she smiled as she fell on parts of her journey here on Riven. How she had finally gone to Tay, how she had learnt Rivenese and had tried, with Nelah, to talk the Moiety into peaceful negociations instead of more violence... They had given her just a week to finish off the job Atrus had given her before they'd take matters in their own hands. And she had done it. Katran was now coming back up.
"Ready?" she asked the older woman in red. She smiled.
"Yes, ready".
"OK, here we go..."
Aalana began punching in the code to open the Fissure. Her job here was already done.

She landed on the hard ground with a soft thud. She blinked at the now very bright sunlight. Atrus had promised this "Fissure" led back to the Cleft. Well, so far, it did look like the Cleft, but some things were different. When she had been there the first time, several years ago, it had been empty. When she had been back three months ago, it had been the same, but she had notices strange colourful cloths had been hung in odd places- perhaps someone had come back there at one point? She had wondered about how time worked on Earth... Maybe 100 years meant more to them than it did to the Morzened. Who knew... It sure didn't much to the D'ni.
Now, however, there were more things. Indeed, someone had been there and had left a campfire and strange tracks. She wondered who they were and whether they would come back.
"By the Mother Ocean!" she exclaimed to herself, "There must be natives here! Oh, I do hope they'll come back! That way, I will be able to learn more about the people from the Surface... Maybe I should wait here!"
And so that's what she did. Little did she know that random New-Mexicans- or other humans- might not be used to seeing people in a long Celtic-looking gown with two curved swords hanging from their belt and carrying big a leather bag and struggling with their KI to take a picture of normal-looking Zamboni tracks in the middle of the desert. If only she knew what those really were...

#9 User is offline   Swampthing 

• Master of Games

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:59 AM

Sylvia's dream is much warmer than the park. It also involves flying. She dreams of soaring through a temperate night's sky, over the roofs of her town, passing by bats and owls that cross her path. But when Alice Sylvia wakes up, though the roofs, bats and owls are gone, it seems she is still flying! Faraway spots of white light sail by her, as she tumbles through a seemingly weightless void. Though she has no trouble breathing, there is no sensation of moving air around her.

As Lyall takes a gulp of water, he sees something odd: the rock formation before him seems to move further away from him. It is only a second later that he feels the earth moving. He has little time to react before finding himself in what seems like a spontaneously formed pooled of quicksand! Unlike quicksand, however, his sinking is rapid and does not seem affected by any movement or lack thereof. Even more surprisingly, as the ground level reaches his chest, Lyall's feet suddenly feel completely free of restriction! Within seconds, his head disappears under the sand. But a second later - he breathes freely again: cool air surrounds him and fills his lungs. He feels nothing under his feet, nor anywhere else, for that matter. All around Lyall is darkness, punctuated by distant points of pure light, and only a trickle of sand that he feels on his skin still hints on the direction whence he came, as his body slowly rotates in the silent void.

Suddenly, the basement's floor shakes under Ranath's feet. The noise from above him tells of cracking and falling stone, and before long - a large piece of the floor above him, already littered with fresh debris on top, collapses to his left. He isn't able to get far before the source of the disturbance reaches him: a crack, right under his feet. An even stronger tremor knocks Ranath off his feet, and without much light, he sees only the outline of his desk, tumbling past him into the forming chasm, before a similarly smooth and hard surface collides with his head, knocking him out.

At first, it seems like an anomaly of the KI's display, but the next moment Aalana can easily see it happening with her own eyes: the tracks on the ground are coming apart, as creating distance between them. A second later, Aalana's feet start doing the same, as the very earth beneath them seems to stretch elastically, until a tear forms in it. Within moments, the tear expands so greatly, that Aalana's feet no longer reach its edges! She falls through, as do the remains of the bonfire a few steps away from her... but instead of the pain and discomfort of falling victim to an earthquake, she is met with the rather pleasant sensation of weightlessness, comparable to the one felt underwater, and a pleasant coolness of the surrounding air! The crevice she has fallen into is perfectly dark, except for the Yoni-shaped tear far above her, through which she can still see the New-Mexican sky. As she falls further and further, the tear grows smaller; as it does - she is able to see around her more clearly: myriads of tiny, white holes in the blackness are surrounding her. Soon, she can no longer see the tear at all.

Aalana:
Unlike the others, to you this is all very familiar. You easily recognize the Fissure. You have no clue why it just went and opened right under you, though.

Sharon gasps and instinctively jumps backwards, as the earth rumbles under her feet. She lands with her butt on the grass, and can only stare in horror as the soil gives way beneath the motorcycle... with Akhashver still on it! It falls on its side, dropping its faux-rider, and within ten seconds or less - is swallowed by the rapidly expanding crack in the ground. Through the shades, Akhashver is able to see the world spinning around him for a moment, and then - darkness. There is a dull pain in left leg, which got between the bike and the ground as they fell, but other than that - he feels nothing. As the shades slip off {without much damage to his scalp, fortunately}, the boy can see tiny stars winking all around him. They appear very far away, though it is hard to say for sure. He does not seem to be laying on, or in anything at all: the sensation is similar to a free fall, but unlike falling - there is no wind whooshing by.

The squee chirps loudly, suddenly startled, yet Lunanne is not aware of any predator who is awake anywhere near enough for the critter to detect. A couple seconds later, she realizes what disturbed her new acquaintance. A few trees around her tilt slowly, as the earth surrounding their roots is pushed aside. Birds take flight in unison from all around, disturbed by the sudden shift. The squee starts running away, but too late: a deep, long trench opens up in the soil beneath them both. It happens so quickly, that as it swallows Lunanne, she cannot even feel its walls! Soon, she realizes she cannot feel anything at all around her: no ground, no rocks... and no living creatures, whose minds were all around her just moments ago. Both in her ears, and in her mind, there is but silence. Looking in any direction, she can see the night's starry sky; but these stars form no constellations she can recognize. They move slowly past her, as her body slowly tumbles in the seemingly weightless abyss.

Erkos's progress through the corridor ends abruptly, as he reaches a collapsed section. A very newly collapsed section, in fact. Though he did not hear it collapsing, while he was inside, he is quickly compensated for this omission, as the sound of cracking stone and collapsing floors surrounds him suddenly. The piece of corridor containing Erkos himself must be newer and more solid than the rest {perhaps the result of repairs after a much earlier earthquake in this area}, for it remains intact - two walls, floor and ceiling, plus the narrow door-frame behind him - as everything around it crumbles into much smaller pieces and collapses down. But even this limited protection does not last for long: soon, what was formerly part of the left wall cracks across, and the whole thing breaks up. Now exposed from all directions, instead of just two, Erkos is struck by several pieces of debris as they grow denser and denser around him before... nothing.
Erkos' fall never actually comes to an end, but at some point, he is no longer twisting for his life out of the way of collapsing masonry: the pieces of walls and floors are all gone, as far as he can tell. It does not seem as though he hit the ground, nor is there any debris underneath him. Nor is there anything else underneath him either, for that matter. Erkos seems to be floating within a dark void, surrounded by nothing but faraway lights.

#10 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:15 PM

Several Years Ago: Erkos sat cross legged on an especially comfortable piece of D'ni furniture he had scavenged from the empty D'ni city. "Do you ever wonder what is beneath, Gehn? There are caverns in the Surface, but when I compare them to this, they appear small indeed. No sun or moon... or stars, but in other regards as if in the outdoors. Then they lead to this, this great cavern under which there are none - or are there? What lies beneath the city, Gehn? Where does the molten rock find birth? Is it perhaps that deeper still there stays more caverns, perhaps of even greater size?"

------------------------------------------------

For a fleeting moment, Erkos woke to find himself falling. Above him was a large crack, through which he could barely see the masonry of the building he had been in moments ago. It was as if he had fallen into the greater caverns underneath D'ni that he had imagined years ago, and his mind was still too fogged to remember the later discoveries of D'ni soundings and experiments that showed the sphere to instead be filled within with a very solid core and mantle. It was not too fogged to remember his studies in gravitation, and to quickly realize that such a fall would soon accelerate him into regions with such pressures that would end his existence.

Such revelations seemed so minor to Erkos, though. Instead, his brain was contemplating what this new discovery meant. "Why did it break there? Is it sealed somehow, and do the D'ni know of this? Is D'ni itself perhaps a giant seal to this greater cavern? The lights, too... are they as well other caverns of similar kind as are found throughout the Earth - their light briefly drifting down as they themselves break or hold against the pressures? They remind me of stars." And, as he for a moment looked back at his older life beneath those stars, the buffeting cold winds and his previous injuries sent him back into unconsciousness.

#11 User is offline   Allatwan 

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:42 PM

At first, Aalana was perplexed. This was very similar to the Fissure, except... how come the Fissure had opened there?! As she fell down, she tried to let herself go and not stress. It's only the Fissure, you're not actually falling, she told herself. She decided to just wait as she started re-reading a few verses from a song she had written for the Rivenese people. She had indeed started re-writting some of their legends into song, inspiring herself of D'ni and Rivenese tunes she mixed with her own Morzened music. Re-reading it all, she noticed both spelling mistakes and words that needed to be changed.
OK, now this line's too long... maybe add a bit of rythm...
By the time she was done, she had gone even more down and it was already pretty dark when she felt herself link. It was that same tingling sensation followed by that strange wooshing noise that echooed against the Fissure's walls and through her head as everything became blurry and disappeared into even darker darkness...

And yes, I know "even darker darkness" doesn't make much sense, but it's late, I'm tired, and I couldn't think of anything else! :blinky:

#12 User is offline   Lostthyme 

• Quab Wrangler

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:20 PM

Sylvia twisted around on her back as she fell through space. That's what she assumed it was, at least. Small points of light and distant constellations drifted through her vision.

But if she was in space, how was she breathing? Sylvia decided not to worry about it. Her dreams had been stranger before.

She was weightless as she fell, as if she was in orbit around something. The only pressure she could feel was the occasional bumping of her backpack against her back. Odd, she thought. Why do I have my homework with me in a dream?

She turned her body around so her head was pointing down and closed her eyes. Strangely, there was no rush of air as she fell. It was just like she was falling through the vacuum of space.

"What a nice dream," she murmured, her voice quickly swallowed up in the timeless void. She sighed contentedly. "Don't wake me up, Mom."

#13 User is offline   luna 

• meh

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:21 PM

Suddenly Lunanne is falling, tumbling through a starry sky. She seems to be all alone but when she tries to touch her ,suddenly painful ,back her hands meet squee fur.It seems to be too scared too make any noise. As the falling continues Lunanne decides to try out her wings. they only stop her and the squee from tumbling however . She's getting colder and colder and hopes this stops fast and the landing is soft. "it is not the height that kills you" she remembers "but the ground" .

#14 User is offline   Yntu Bux 

• rehlyihmah (the unseen)
  • Group: Member

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:50 PM

Am I dead? Was it this easy? No pain at all, no tedious wait, filled with nausea and other nasty sensations while my blood runs out or my lungs collapse?

Akhishefer tried moving a little, looking around. That's when he felt the ache in his leg. Not too bad, but still there.

But if this is Death, then... then now what? What's gonna happen? Am i just stuck in limbo or something? Or will something start soon? Will it be like the Guardians' tales? Or like in Mother's book? Or like what the rabbi explained? Or maybe...

For as long as he fell, Shefer's mind kept scrolling through the many different religious he had encountered in his life. He realized the ones he could remember are only a small part of those he came in touch with throughout his travels, and there were surely even more, countless more faiths that he had never heard of! But even out of those he could remember, and well enough to recall what specifically they promised him after his death, he could not say that any one felt any truer than the others. Maybe it was a problem with the way people told him of all these faiths, maybe with the faiths themselves... the only thing he could be pretty sure of is this: a dead person's leg is not supposed to hurt!

#15 User is offline   padfoot7726 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 12 January 2010 - 05:45 PM

Ranath's eyes crept open in the gloom of the void. Stars fluttered past the reach of his understanding. He slowly began to regain consciousness, and was able to piece together his present situation.

He looked up. A silhouetted fissure hung distant in the ether.

A fissure... the void of the infinite linking plane... tree of possibilities...

His mind crept back towards his studies, to an esoteric entry from an ancient book of commentary on a failed age, concerning the age's destabilization. Fissures had appeared. "Tears in the linking plane" the maintainer had described it. Below them lay a void of stars. Did this mean that Earth was unstable? Had Ri'neref perhaps truly made a mistake in this, the greatest of ages?

Ranath's head throbbed. His mind ebbed. Thinking hurt. He slowly fell back into unconsciousness.

#16 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous

Posted 12 January 2010 - 06:35 PM

Lyall gasped in shock as the earth began to move beneath his feet. He took a deep breath, knowing he had only seconds to react. Though he knew it might drain him, he reached down, down into his magical core, seeking power he had used only once since he had reached Earth. It hurt, it burned, and Lyall had no illusions that he would be in serious pain if he used it. But he might die, otherwise. If he could summon the right amount of power, and visualize the right effect...

But the sensation of his feet breaking free startled him, and his concentration shattered. The sand closed over his head before he could regain it, and for a single, choking moment, he feared his own death.

Then he was free, out of the sand, and falling into deep darkness. It was beautiful, a rich vivid black, and speckled with distant points of light that shone in colors that could faintly be picked out, like stars. He realized he could breathe, though he was still falling. He waved his arms, trying to right himself in the void, but he did not know which way was up or down. He was falling, falling, through the blackness, no idea of where the ground would be or how long it would take to meet it.

He began to panic, thinking about it. Inside his mind, in the instinctual depths of the hindbrain, he felt a kicking and rising, roused by his panic. Lyall knew what would happen if he did not stop it now, and concentrated. Hard. If he could just hold it back, catch it now, maybe nothing would happen. Maybe no harm would be done.

But he knew it could be. There was danger in his instincts. He could hurt people. A startled wizard could lash out with strong powers unconsciously. There were reasons that one did not surprise a wizard, that there was a set of rules and etiquette for wizards to deal with each other, so that no one crisped someone else by accident. That was why they were trained on how to handle their power; because if this falling ended in a negative way, and he was hurt or knocked unconscious, he had no idea how he would react. He couldn't take the risk that someone would find him, try to wake him, and his power lash out uncontrollably and hurt someone- or worse. Especially with the curse.

Instinctively he reached out to try to gather power for his task, a habit that had not been broken even after three Earth years. What shocked him was that when he reached out, it responded. This was old, deep power, the kind of power found only in the most sacred and undisturbed locations in Iyeranse, the kind of power he had never dreamed of tapping. Unused parts of his mind reached out, opening to it like a flower to the sun, responding to the incredible sense he felt. Oh, it was as if he was alive again, as if he could see. He'd adjusted to the feeling of blunted senses while on Earth, had adapted to work around it as others could work around the loss of a limb or a sense, but he'd always felt a dull ache. Now those senses were alive and vital and stretching, and he could just lose himself in sensation, back under what felt like a warm gentle sunbath...

But that wasn't why he had opened.

Reluctantly Lyall closed himself off, gathering the power into him. It was almost more than he could contain, and he felt his magical core overflowing, as if it was a glass filled too much, water sloshing over the brim. He could not hold it for long, but if he could just do what he needed to do-

He closed his eyes to let his will work its way, and rode along with the power as if it was a wave, letting it flow through his mind as it willed, his consciousness just along for the ride. When it reached the part of his mind he wanted, he directed it to flow there, imagining the part of his mind as behind a brick wall. Carefully he began to build the wall, knowing as he did that he was racing time- would the wild, untamed part of himself break free before he could confine it? He could sense it rising, stirring, reaching for the rest of him, outside of what he was doing- but time had no meaning here. Only will did. His will, its will, and the power to enforce the will.

Brick by brick Lyall built the wall, closing off his mind. He created a detailed block around that rough, wild part of him, picturing it safely enclosed inside a brick dome, unable to escape. It had windows, at first, but he deliberately closed them, pictured them sealing over, making it impenetrable. He knew he had succeeded when he felt a thud against the inside of the brick wall, but the wall held. In his mind, the wall separated his instincts and the curse from his body, completely; they could not touch him, they could not influence him; he was free. It wouldn't last forever. Lyall knew that. But he could make the wall as thick as possible, and he would deal with the breach when he had to, and others would be okay.

There was more power, still, and he used it to continue sealing off his instincts. With the curse ones down, he could focus on his regular magical instincts. Those he did not wall off completely; wizards had damaged themselves doing that. On Earth, he'd worked in safeguards against it, a sort of aversion where if he tried to use power, it hurt. It was risky, of course, and if he needed to use it he could do as much harm to himself as good- but it worked as a simple safeguard. If his power tried to react to something he didn't consciously sense, it would send spikes of pain through him, which would hopefully revive him enough that he could consciously control it. It was a simple, but elegant, tripwire.

When he opened his eyes, he was still falling, no closer to the sky or to the ending, as if nothing had happened. Yet something had happened; he felt the shield inside his mind, the shield blocking off his instincts, the shield keeping him safe. And yet, though he had closed himself off to prevent burnout, there was still power coursing through him, fresh power, not his own stale power, and it was glorious.

He opened his core, just a little bit, to continue feeling it wash through him; not enough that he could cast magic- he knew not what it would do, in this strange place. But he bathed in it, and relaxed in it. This place was powerful, but...gentle. He knew somehow that it would not kill him, not drop him onto the ground and let him crack himself open and die. So, for as long as he remained in this place, he was going to lie back and enjoy the warmth of the magic; he didn't know when he would ever feel its like again.

#17 User is offline   Swampthing 

• Master of Games

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:17 PM

The darkness dissipates sharply, suddenly.
Aalana falls into what feels like a mass of knotweed, which provides quite a soft landing. Just behind her, some large, metallic object, full of shiny reflective surfaces, crushes down through the helpful plantlife. Seconds later, as Aalana's weight creates an impression in the mass, a large backpack rolls over to collide with her. She can see another large traveling bag, different from both her own backpack and the one currntly pressed against her side, rolling off the cushion of weed to her left, where the tangle of has recently been broken by a smooth, sturdy desk. Considering the weeds' elastic firmness, that thing must be extremely heavy.

Before she can truly get her bearings, a man falls out of nowhere, as if he just appeared from thin air a few meters above her. The soft impact awakens Ranath, as he lands atop Aalana, and the first thing he sees is her face. His head still hurts a bit, his vision slightly unfocused, but other than that - he feels fine. As far as his physical wellbeing is concerned, anyway.
Another man falls out, his pose loosely fetal, and lands on his side in the very center of the knotweed - about an arm's reach behind Aalana'a and Ranath's heads. Unlike the former, however, Erkos does not come to his senses on impact. Despite the tears in his clothes, the multiple bruises, and the bleeding gash on his right forearm - his body seems relaxed, more like that of a sleeping man than that of an unconscious one.

A thud is heard, as yet another person - this one an adolescent, falls out of the sky a short distance to the left from the main pile. Perhaps mere minutes ago, landing in this spot would be as fun and safe as it was for the others to land a meter to the right, but not so now. Akhashver falls flat on his back against the hard stone desk, knocking the air out of his body and causing the world to swim before his eyes for a few moments, before he passes out. Weaker thuds are heard here and there, as several large rocks and half-burnt pieces of wood land all around - some missing the knotweed, others falling right through it.
Yet, it is still raining men as well: Lyall is the next to emerge, trailing a tail of red sand behind him. His landing is rougher than most, but still much softer than Shefer's. A meter off from Ranath and Aalana's feet, missing the knotweed entirely, he lands on the soft, grassy ground. To either side from him, Lyall can see broken pieces of wood that was once polished and dyed, but now shows the signs of being exposed to the elements for years. It may have been some sort of furniture, when it was whole.

Sylvia can see the others beneath her for a second or two, before she crashes into the far right of the floral tangle. Being closer to the edge than the center, her weight causes her to start sliding off, but with some of her limbs caught quite deeply between the knotty stalks, her weight pulls on the whole thing, shifting the balance of everything on top of it. As soon as Sylvia's feet touch the ground, Ranath, Aalana and Erkos roll off the knotweed, over her and onto the ground, freeing her caught limbs in the process. It is then, that Erkos awakens - aching all over and most likely disoriented, but stable and safe, as far as he can tell.
Over and around the lot of them, multiple heavy books fall, some tearing in half from hitting the ground while open. Sylvia's calculator is the next thing to drop, landing in the same spot as its owner and also sliding down the slope quite harmlessly. Finally, a large pair of shades falls from above and embeds itself in the knotweed.

As soon as the darkness around her vanishes, Lunanne feels the air resistance return, blowing into her wings as if they were the sails of a ship. Though there are no upward air streams to do much flying, she is able to soar down and land on her feet with perfect grace, a small distance from the poor tangle of knotweed and in plain sight of Lyall and the pile of everybody else. The squee in her hand stares around it in shock, then runs up Lunanne's arm to cower in the percieved safety atop her shoulder.

- - -

Around the seven of you is a forested plane. The trees are of various leaf-bearing kinds, some of them similar to ones you have seen in your own ages, others not so. Most of the trees are in early stages of bloom. The earth is grassy, with flowers blooming in great plenty as the trees are not close enough together to block much sunlight. Deskwards from the knotweed, the plane ends with a small cliff, but it can't be very high, judging by the splosh of a stream from the same direction, which sounds very close, and some of the treetops from below reaching high enough to pass the higher plane's ground level.

#18 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:56 PM

The gathering's path is brought by the wearing of time. / A wound has been cut, the paths are entwined.

Erkos rolled away from the main group of bodies, stopping as his cautious arms felt out the steep decline of the cliff. With blurred vision and a throbbing headache, he rose to a crouch and surveyed the surroundings.

It was not especially unusual, he observed. The sounds and smells were consistent with the general atmosphere of an untouched forest area of an Age. That was, other then the scattered humanoids standing and lying nearby.

Taxed by the fall and exertion, Erkos decided the best course of action was to lie silently and hope an explanation would be quickly evident.

#19 User is offline   Lostthyme 

• Quab Wrangler

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:07 PM

One minute Sylvia was drifting lazily through the void, the next minute she found herself gripped by unforgiving gravity once more. Before she could let out so much as a squeak she landed heavily on the side of something soft and found it tipping under her weight.

Oh no oh no oh no, she thought as she slid. Both of her arms got caught in the object just as she reached the edge, gently depositing her feet onto the ground.

But she soon saw that she wasn't out of danger yet. There were three other people on the plant-like object with her, and they were sliding toward her fast. Sylvia braced herself.

The three people crashed into her and rolled over her, a tangle of limbs and bodies. Sylvia felt herself get yanked out of her place in the plant and they all landed in a heap.

"Oww..." Sylvia moaned from her place under the others.

Out of the corner of her eye she saw her calculator drop from the sky, adding to the comical effect of their landing.

One of the people on top of her disentagled himself and rolled away a few feet.

"Eh..." Sylvia said to the other two, her voice muffled, "You're sitting on me."

#20 User is offline   padfoot7726 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:16 PM

Still reeling from the shock of the fall, Ranath stood. His glasses had landed near him, fortunately unscathed. He reached down and put them back on, adjusting the lenses against the nape of his nose.
Pacing away from the group, he glanced around. It was certainly an age he was unfamiliar with. The flat lanscape was unsettling in it's juxtaposition with the trees. The babble of water was a relief, though.

Turning around, he looked at the faces around him.
"Eh..." a muffled, feminine voice spoke, beneath the mass of bodies, "You're sitting on me."

As the writhing pile sorted itself out, Ranath looked at the few others, and noticed a man lying on his back, obviously conscious, yet not getting up.
Curious, Ranath inquired, "Hello? Are you okay? Do you speak D'ni?"

#21 User is offline   Allatwan 

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:52 AM

Oh, Mother Ocean... Aalana thought, trying to free herself, WHAT just happened? I should have listened to master Khaleem: the Surface is just a great of toruble you REALLY don't want to end up in. But since we linked... some"place", I might as well make the most of the sutuation.
She tried to free one of her swords, but found she couldn't. Her patience slowly running thin, she felt for her belt and took out a Moiety dagger and tried to cut the vines. But before she'd even done anything, they seemed to break free and they all landed on the ground- and on top of her. Crawling away from the group, she got up, brushed dust off her clothes and muttered to herself in Morzened. Then, she cautiously turned around. She had indeed linked to some forest Age with a group of people- whoever they were- and had now no clue where she was. Not that the mumbling group just a few feet away looked like it knew much more.
I bet this is ALL Atrus' fault, she thought, next thing you know, he'll pop up somewhere and ask us to retrieve or imprison ANOTHER of his relatives! These little jokes are begining to get on my nerves... It's bad enough he's got to scatter his linking books everywhere! Now, he's using the Fissure... so much for D'ni progress! Why didn't master Khaleem tell me about this "Fissure" back in Keriolet anyway? Unless it's a pure invention of Atrus'...

As she was thinking about this, she noticed her KI watch's glass had a big scratch. Even angrier at Atrus, she tried to take a picture to see if it was still OK. Apparently, it didn't malfunction. She turned around with a sigh and walked towards the others, wondering who they were, what they were all doing here, and seriously hoping this wouldn't ruin her day. She looked at the cliff one more time- where a D'ni looking guy stood, looking like he was nauseous or something like that- and thought that it wasn't such a bad lookig Age after all and that maybe it would be fun to explore it too.
At least I'll have something to tell my family when I come home! She thought as she walked up to the rest of the group. She hesitated for a minute- should she talk to them in D'ni? There was that other language from The Surface Atrus had told her about... but she hadn't had much practise and wasn't sure she'd have enough vocabulary to make precise sentences. So instead, she picked D'ni.
Hey, isn't that the universal language when it comes to linking? She thought, Besides, the guy near the cliff and this one here with the glasses look D'ni- I sure hope they are and will be able to explain all this!
"Shorah Shehm'tee!" she grinned and tried to help the girl with the short hair up. Glancing at her clothes, she wondered where she came from- maybe The Surface, she thought with rising excitement. Then again... her hair was strange. Why was it so short? In Bro Keinmor, short hair for women was a sign of mourning. She wondered if it was the same in the girl's culture. Maybe she had lost a very close friend or relative and had cut it as a sign of grief. Maybe they burnt it too, like in Bro Keinmor, with branches from the dead person's holy tree? She waited for them to answer, wondering more and more about what would happen next.
This can't be bad... Lots of new people from different cultures, an unknown Age... I think another adventure's just begun!

#22 User is offline   luna 

• meh

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:14 AM

Lunanne looks around and searches the place with her mind. There is no one close by except six people who also fell out of the sky, although not so slowly . seems wings can be useful after all she thinks. Those people seem to be confused but not aggresive, at least one of them seems to be badly hurt. She checks her equipment and calms the squee down a bit. She sees a man laying on the ground, he doesn't make any attempt to stand up although concious that one is probably the one with the pain she thinks. Somenone else seems to have noticed too and asks "are you okay? Do you speak D'ni?". stupid question really, someone lays on the ground and doesn't really move after having falling out of the sky , of course he is not okay! . It reminds her of something . She pushes the memories away and walks towards the man. Maybe she can help. People who lay on the ground and have so much pain they can't stand up, don't tend to be very dangerous.
She hears someone say "Shorah shehmtee !" okay make that one d'ni speaker, no two , you wouldn't ask someone or he speaks d'ni when you don't speak it yourself, and one cheerful person let's hope she doesn't babble

#23 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:53 AM

Lyall felt gravity return, and, letting out a startled yelp, instinctively tucked himself in and rolled when he hit the ground. He picked himself up and dusted himself off, checking himself for injuries. Nothing serious, just what felt like it was going to be a huge bruise on his right hip. Quickly he checked the walls and traps in his mind; all intact, all holding. He swung his packs off his shoulders, and shook them; nothing rattled with a sound of being broken, and he decided to assume everything was fine.

In front of him was a giant...tumbleweed? It kind of looked like it. As he watched, he saw things slide off of it and onto the ground. They started to move and stand, and then some made noise. People? Here? And from the looks of it, they had arrived the same way he had. Fantastic.

Lyall quickly rushed over to them, in time to hear one- a short-haired girl- speak English. At least I'll be able to understand someone here, he thought. Then another man spoke English. The next woman, however, spoke in something totally unfamiliar, dashing his hopes that everyone would be able to communicate fluently.

"I have a medical kit, if anyone is hurt," Lyall offered in English. He set down his packs and opened the larger one, reaching for the kit. One of the men had stood up, looked around, then lay back down- if he was injured, Lyall felt compelled to do something.

#24 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:25 PM

As he watched the other fallen people begin to organize themselves, Erkos realized two things. First, that they were all nearly as surprised as he was. The disorder and confused questions seemed to indicate that none of them had organized this interesting occurrence, or at least that they were highly incompetent if they had. This reassured him greatly. As he sat up to better see his surroundings, however, he was much less reassured by the greater realization of how weak he currently was.

His simple tan robe was not entirely ruined, but it was hardly presentable. His red sash had been lost somewhere in the confusion, but the ribbon around his wrist was still there. Not that it matters. he thought, Nobody appears to be Amad. He winced from the pain, noticing as he did that winged humanoid winced at a reasonably similar time and manner. Empathy.

But such thoughts would be irrelevant, almost as useless as the various first responses of his fellow sufferers. When surprised, people are apt to say the silliest of things. "Where are we?" he asked in English, and then in Amad and Spanish. Then, to the questioning of spectacled man, [D'ni] "I do speak Duhny. I assume you do to, yes? Do you know where we are?"

#25 User is offline   luna 

• meh

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:35 PM

Lunanne comes closer and calls out "maybe it is easier if everyone comes here for a moment" and repeats this in D'ni. then as answer to the man's question she says (d'ni)"No, we don't no yet where we are. As for the language English and D'ni seem to be in the majority but " noticing some people looking confused " not one language is spoken by all . We should do a introducing round I think before we worry about location ". She then repeats this in English for the non-d'ni speakers. "I'll start , I am Lunanne , an elf, I speak english, D'ni and dutch although that doesn't really matter here. I'm a telepath and empath ,but I will not read your minds without your permission. I come from Tertesev and have no idea how I got here except there were stars. O yeah this little guy is a squee, he came with me accidentally, he won't bite as long as you're nice. And now I have talked a lot more then I'm used to so one of you is. I can translate if you don't speak english or d'ni" She then repeats this in D'ni and sits down.

Share this topic:

• 15 Pages +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users