• 15 Pages +
  • Last »

For Queen And Age! IC

#26 User is offline   Lostthyme 

• Quab Wrangler
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:00280695

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:15 PM

The people on top of Sylvia moved off and Sylvia could get a better view of her surroundings. The ground was lush with vegetation and a quick glance back showed that she had landed on some sort of springy plant. "What a trippy dream," she muttered when she saw that one of her companions had wings.

A quick glance around the clearing showed that there were quite a few other people with her, all of varying gender, age, and apparently species. The ground was littered with an assortment of odd objects. Sylvia spotted her backpack a few feet away, next to a wicked looking sword. The others were recovering from their rude landing just as Sylvia was, and it looked like more than one of them was nursing an injury.

A shadow fell over her face and Sylvia looked up. A girl that looked barely older than eighteen was standing over her, a strange expression on her face. The girl then said something strange and grabbed Sylvia's wrist to help her up.

"Thanks," Sylvia said as she struggled to her feet. She shook her cropped brown hair out of her face and ran her palms down the front of her jeans. She tugged a bit on the hem of her shirt.

A man nearby called out "Where are we?" in a strangely accented tone, and then repeated it in a strange language and then in Spanish.

A woman with pointed ears replied that she didn't know and began talking about introductions. Sylvia heard that her name was "Lunanne" but soon zoned out on what she was saying. Sylvia couldn't help but stare out over the cliffs at the horizon. Even the air here seemed foreign. Never before had her dreams been so vivid.

Awesome, Sylvia thought.

#27 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:07 PM

Your legends tell you of two great mythic cities - Atlantis, and Rome. I cannot tell you about Atlantis, although I have seen something similar to it in my travels. Rome... that I can tell you of. It is my city. I call it Duhny.

Erkos looked skeptically at the winged human. [D'ni] "My name is Erkos. I am of the Amad people. I come from the caverns of Duhny, where I was in surprise thrown in a chasm of great size. In it was the appearance of stars, and then I saw no more until I was here - wherever here is. It could be Atlantis risen for all I know." His voice carried a slight hint of sarcastic skepticism, but he suppressed it - it could be quite rash to provoke this Lunanne when he was in such a position.

He could now see her, and all the others, more clearly. Of those closest to him, the bald man with glasses seemed the most threatening. The two females were both young in appearance, and - although one showed signs of martial training - neither had an especially dangerous expression. Indeed, they both appeared almost unnaturally cheerful for such a situation. After a brief double take at the shorter haired one, he examined the other three people.

The appearance of Lunanne showed definite biological differences, and her statements of telepathy and empathy would suggest even greater powers. Taking such a leading position early in the event was also suspicious. Next to her, obscured somewhat by the knotweed fronds, was a pale youthful male. He too had the appearance of power - that, or careful bluffing.

Lastly, the still unconscious person on the desk. Due to his physical state, he did not seem especially dangerous.

#28 User is offline   padfoot7726 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:17 PM

Ranath, having noticed a pattern of introduction, and seeing no reason not to, decided to do the same.
[D'ni repeated in English] "Shorah and Hello. I am Ranath, a Channelwoodsman and a resident of the D'ni cavern system. What I believe to be a star fissure formed in my quarter's leading me here. First of all, I'd like to clarify that it seems that none of us are familiar with another, and this place is new to all of us. Because of this, I think it would be best if we would all stay together just to be safe. Now, did everyone here also fall through a fissure?"

#29 User is offline   Lostthyme 

• Quab Wrangler

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:17 PM

Sylvia snapped out of her distracted admiration of the scenery when a man's voice began speaking in a language she didn't recognize. She surveyed him closely as he spoke. He looked to be around thirty or so, with brown hair like her own. She stared curiously at a red ribbon tied around his wrist. I wonder what that means, she thought.

His eyes fell on her face and Sylvia could see him do a double take. She blushed a bit but stared back.

Another man declared that his name was Ranath. He seemed very self-assured. A silence fell over the group after he finished speaking.

Sylvia cleared her throat. "I'm uh... Sylvia. I'm... human from the planet Earth. I came from outer space. You know, the place with all the stars." She giggled a bit and stared openly at Lunanne's pointed ears. "I have to admit this is the wackiest dream I've ever had. I wonder what wild corner of my subconscious you six popped from." She cleared her throat again, plucking a flower from the ground.

#30 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:37 PM

Erkos responded in order of age. In D'ni he answered Ranath, "I have no knowledge of where we are. I definitely fell in here, and it was from a place apparently with stars that could be described as a fissure of some kind. I have not met anyone here before." Although that was true, his memories quickly brought up his surveillance of Ranath years ago, and also of the young long haired girl - Aalana. They had been to D'ni, although that was somewhat obvious given their language choices. They had been to Duhny very recently, in the scheme of things. "It does seem advisable to remain together, at least until together seems inadvisable to remain around."

He switched to English to respond to the girl. "This is no dream of yours. Look," he pulled out a metal marble from his pocket and picked up a torn piece of his robe. In a series of motions he threw them into the air and dropped them in unison. "The human brain cannot process gravity on such a precise scale. Here I can do calculations on it which appear universal rather than arbitrary, as the subconscious would make them. Look at your hands, or listen to the Duhny speech of the others. They follow fixed physical and etymological laws that would be impossible for the mind to confabulate." In what he hoped was a reassuring voice, he continued, "This is real, or at least not subconscious in origin."

#31 User is offline   Swampthing 

• Master of Games
  • KI number:03330098

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:43 PM

As the assembly looks around, a few further things become apparent. For one thing, although the light levels are similar to those an Earth surfacer would expect at early dawn {except for those living in subpolar areas, anyway}, the sun is clearly seen in perfect zenith! The only shadows are from the trees' branches and leaves, while the vertical trunks {and those of the forest's new guests who are standing up straight} cast none.
Looking at the floral mass upon which the luckier among you landed, one can see a stocky, composite object within the bushy tangle. The little fledgling sunlight is reflected from its metallic surfaces, some of which are hued in black or red, even through the knotweed.

Sylvia, Lyall & Erkos:
Click to reveal hidden content
The object stuck in the middle of the knotweed is a shiny new motorcycle!

Lunnanne & Lyall:
Every living being around you {other than your fellow new arrivals} is in heat, or otherwise peak fertility: every creature in the area that has a concept of mating is busy searching for a mate, courting, brawling for mating rights, decorating its nest et c, as per whatever is appropriate for the species.

Lunanne only:
The red-skinned kid on the desk is having a horrible nightmare.

Lyall only:
Although the sun is in zenith, it feels like early dawn. It's more than just the lighting.

Erkos only:
The most intuitive assumption about the sun would be that it's either much further away from the planet, or much smaller, than on Earth. However, looking around, Erkos can see signs indicating that it's not that simple. For example, looking into the distance while facing away from the cliff - he can see that visibility starts getting worse a much shorter distance ahead, than the forests density would justify. The forest is relatively thin, but you can't see as far as the current lighting would normally allow in such a forest. This anomaly does not occur, when looking in any other direction. Also, a smaller or more distant sun would normally be much weaker in its capacity to provide heat, while this sun seems to be doing as good a job of it as Earth's sun ever did.

At a completely different note: the stone desk is definitely of D'ni origin. You've seen countless desks just like it.

Oh, and as you toss up the marble and the piece of cloth, you intuitively feel something is wrong in their behavior. It's too subtle to put your finger on it, but something may be different about this place's gravitation.

#32 User is offline   Lostthyme 

• Quab Wrangler

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:47 PM

Now the first man who had introduced himself was talking to her in English. All Sylvia could do was blink at him while he explained something about gravity and dreams to her.

"So..." she stammered, "t-this isn't a dream?" Sylvia's eyes widened and she clapped her hands to her mouth. "But... how... how did I get here?" She stared at the others. "What's going on!? There's no such things as elves," she cried as she pointed at Lunanne, "Or fairies or whatever the heck you are!" Sylvia could feel herself begin to hyperventilate as her head began to spin.

"I... I think I need to lay down," she muttered and said a curse under her breath. "This is some serious stuff."

Sylvia stood abruptly and walked away from the group to the cliffside. As she walked by the thing that had broken her fall something shiny and large caught her eyes. Disregarding her find and any danger, she sat down on the edge of the cliff and swung her legs out into space. Not dreaming? But... this has to be a dream!

#33 User is offline   luna 

• meh
  • KI number:141809

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:29 AM

(d'ni)"This is the first time someone actually denied my existence. It isn't like I asked to be an elf, to be locked up and used as a test animal" says Lunanne aloud although mostly against herself. She is irrtated with the confusion, people who don't even believe there own eyes and the fact that someone keeps battering her mental walls. She stands up and uses the warm, rising air to take flight after a running start. From the air it isn't hard to find out who is the problem. A red-skinned kid lying on something seems to be having a nightmare.

can I actually just let Lunanne take flight or is that God-modding(or what ever)? In that case I apologize for this

#34 User is offline   Allatwan 

• Prime Minister of the Black Moiety
  • KI number:01199433

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:20 AM

Aalana smiled at the short-haired girl. "You are welcome" she whispered. She took a good look at the others.
OK, two D'ni men... well, I THINK- two... Surface dwellers? I'll need to tell master Khaleem about this! And... why, that woman looks halfway like a Nixe and Korrigan! Too tall and pale to be a Korrigan, too healthy-looking to be a Nixe... as for the wings...
She stopped looking too directly at Lunnane, since she had a strong feeling she could feel and knew what she felt and thought. Rather disturbing.
Note to self: don't EVER trust that one until you've had proof she's OK...
Since everyone was presenting themselves, she shrugged and said, first in English, then in D'ni:

"Well, I am Aalana Kaour, daughter of Luhaan. I am a Morzened, from the Age of Bro Keinmor", she winced at her own lilt. It would take her time to get used to the accent. Maybe they'd help? She hoped so.
"I am a Clii and Taman student studying the Taraan art of Morzened music on my Age's greatest Barzhic school... it basically means I am a professional singer... How can I explain this to someone who doesn't know Bro Keinmor..." she paused, looking up at the treetops, then smiled at them apologetically, "it's allright. I will explain when the time is right- later. For now, all I can say is that I went to D'ni twice for my studies and mere pleasure, and went to explore the mysterious Surface everyone talked about... the one that triggered the Fall... But I fell on a book, a book by a D'ni man called Atrus. He wanted someone to free him, then go on the Age of Riven, the fifth one his father Gehn ever wrote and free his wife. I also had to.... never mind. I met both of them, brought Katran back- his wife- and went back to the Surface with this void we used- Atrus calls it the Fissure, but the Moiety call it Allatwan- the Moiety are a type or, err, Rivenese natives..." she hastily looked away, realising that one of the men was looking strangely at her... Had she mentioned something wrong?
"Anyway... I fell through a second time almost as soon as I had linked back to The Surface- and I have no idea why. Well, I do have an idea, but I am not sure..."

Suddenly, Lunnane mentioned knowing there was a boy having a nightmare not far from them.
Great, she thought, there are MORE of us idiots? I wonder if we're ALL part of Atrus probably long list of friends- if he considers other complete strangers as friends, that is... Still, I'm not falling in yet another of his little quests anymore! Maybe I should warn them...
"Does anyone here know Atrus too?" she randomly asked, intently looking at them in turns, trying to find out what each face's expressions meant...

#35 User is offline   Swampthing 

• Master of Games
  • KI number:03330098

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:45 AM

From her position, Sylvia can see the forest floor laying about 9 meters below her. The earth here is soft, with some bushes growing horizontally from the cliff's wall itself. It doesn't look like climbing down will be possible, for anyone weighing more than a bush. However, some of the trees from the forest floor below grow very close to the cliff, their tops reaching higher than it and their branches appearing firm enough to support a grown man's weight.
Behind Sylvia, on the stone desk, the skimpily dressed boy stirs and shivers, but does not seem to awaken.
Directly in front of Sylvia, as she looks down, are three shorter trees that have been partially uprooted and now stand leaning, their tops pressed against each other. Many large branches from other trees have been bent and attached to the skeleton these three trunks form. Some of these are newer, but the leaves of most such branches have dried quite some time ago. The whole thing forms a simple, roughly conical shelter with a tall and narrow opening that faces the cliff wall. From the top of this opening, some sort of colorful ornament hangs, about the size of a man's palm; its many colors bright and bold against the green and yellow of the shelter, though details are hard to discern from up here. To the right of the shelter is a round depression in the ground, with brick-sized stones lain around it; it is filled with coals and ash.
To the left of the shelter, a narrow stream passes, running from some unseen location behind the cliff's turn and winding away past the shelter and through the trees. Looking on, over the tree tops in the direction where the water flows {that is, away from the cliff}, one can see the tops of the trees growing taller the further one looks. Towards the horizon, a great mass of clouds hangs.
As time passes by, the light slowly increases, the sun becoming harder to look at, just as if it were rising. Only it's not: it just hangs there in the middle of the sky.

#36 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:32 AM

Lyall takes a deep breath and looks at his new companions. The one who says she is a Morzaned is interesting, and her backstory seems complex. It sounds as though she has had a complex life so far. And he has no idea who her friend Atrus is. He can not really get a sense of her like he can most of the others. He gently probes at the flying woman and gets back a...he can not really describe it, but it's a brief resonance. She must also have some magical or psychic ability. He sends her a feeling of apology; he knew it was rude to impinge on another's shields.

He wonders about the others, especially the startled Earth girl. He wants to help her, but doesn't want to overwhelm her, so he stays silent. It soon becomes moot, as she moves to the end of the cliff. He'll speak with her next.

He nods at the man who introduces himself as Ranath. "I also fell through some sort of fissure.I agree that it is most logical to stay together. We can pool resources that way. For example, I have medical equipment, if it is required."

The other man, nearly as tall as he, speaks very intelligently. Lyall thinks he can like him.

When it is his turn to speak, he decides to give the condensed version in English, as none of the others reflect as though they are Iyerans. "My name is Lyall Greystone. I come from Earth, at least for the last few years. Prior to my arrival on Earth, I was a wizard on the world of Iyeranse. But please do not ask me to demonstate any spells right now." He pauses and sends out another quick probe. Nothing reflects back; there's no magical energy to draw on. He wukk have to conserve his power as if he was on Earth. "I feel no energy here I can manipulate," he adds. "However, I have some expertise in survival, and was equipped to go camping. I am willing to share what I have with any of you."

There. Quiet, well reasoned, short, and offering to help. He thinks he's covered all the bases.

#37 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:39 AM

"this isn't a dream?"

"No, it does..." Erkos trailed off as the girl walked off towards the cliff. She appeared shocked.

Guildsmen, let me tell you a story. One day, I was in the Age of Eder Girrarat. I saw two birds, a hawk and a magpie, watching each other cautiously across the distance of an opening. Wondering what would happen, I threw a small marble into the center, as magpies are known for their interest in metallic objects. The magpie was distracted from its vigilance, and came as though entranced to the marble. It was then that the hawk struck and bit off its head. This is the moral of the story - do not let your fancies distract you from dangers.

Erkos turned back to the main group. As Lunanne launched into the sky, he reached into his pocket for the crowbar he had picked up earlier that day. It is not the best of weapons, but it will do as a defense, especially against wings. He listened but did not watch as Aalana gave her introduction. It was not especially surprising, as his research had determined most of the information long ago.

"I know of Atrus, son of Gehn." he said slowly after she finished. "I have never met him, though. He is old, very old now, and I have understood that he remains mostly in Releeshahn. Is that what you want to know? There is little likelihood of him being here."

#38 User is offline   ZangieF 

• MC's self-proclaimed IT security expert
  • Group: Member
Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:55 AM

View Postluna, on Jan 14 2010, 04:29 AM, said:

can I actually just let Lunanne take flight or is that God-modding(or what ever)? In that case I apologize for this

Lunanne only:
Yes, but there will be a limit on how long she can fly continuously, and how long she must rest before doing it again. Obviously, the rest time decreases with the amount of time she spends flying. For now, we'll say one-hour stretches of flight with a half hour of rest, e.g. if she flies for only 40 minutes, the rest time is 20 minutes.

To calculate the rest time, multiply 30 by however many minutes she'll be flying (up to a maximum of 60 minutes) and divide that number by 60 to get required rest time in minutes.

#39 User is offline   luna 

• meh

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:08 PM

Lunanne listens to the others's introduction and decides to land by the group. "I know Atrus too" she says." He came to my home age a long time ago". " apology accepted" she thinks to Lyall, who 's magic ability seems to include some kind of telepathy. "But maybe we should help the boy lying over there". She walks to the twitching boy and tries to wake him up by shaking him gently. "wake up boy !" . When this doesn't work she gets her flask and splashes some water in his face.

in other words resttime = half the flying time with flying time max 60 min.

#40 User is offline   Allatwan 

• Prime Minister of the Black Moiety
  • KI number:01199433

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:59 PM

Aalana looked at Erkos strangely. Surely he was wrong...
"Atrus is... old? How come... When I saw him, he looked middle-aged! Did- is this part of the Fissure's properties?!? Does that mean.... does that mean that my family's somewhere in the past?!?!" She didn't even want to know the answer.
This is all Atrus' fault, she thought again with bitterness, I should have NEVER touched that bloody book in the first place! Yet... I can't say I regret going to Riven. If I EVER find Atrus, I swear I'll....
Anger rose from her stomach all the way to the top of her throat. She felt for her swords and glared at the D'ni- or whatever he was. She'd sworn never to trust the squatters in her land, appart from a few exceptions. This one looked like he knew more than he was willing to tell, and- maybe he was liying? That would explain.... Still: if she ever wanted to go home, she'd need Atrus' help or someone who knew all about how the Fissure worked. And that might be a problem, considering how no one seemed to know what had really happened. That man, Erkos, seemed to know of Atrus... that meant he might know someone who knew him? She would have to try and find out. Letting go of the swords' hilts, she flashed him a bright smile:

(dni) "Let me guess: we'll all stick together and try to find a way to go home, right? I mean, there has got to be a way to get out of here, right? Maybe we'll find a book, a link of some sort, or even another Fissure. We must stick together to help each other", she added in English, "because I do not know about you, but I sure want to go home! I was supposed to explore the Surface, not... this", she whirled around, sending her hair and dress flying around her as she looked up with a hint of sarcasm.
"And you are from D'ni?", she looked at Erkos up and down, a sneer flashing across her face for a fraction of a second. She realised they might have noticed it and quickly grinned again. "Had you heard of the Fissure before?" stepping closer, she whispered in D'ni:
"I don't know who you are, whether you're liying or not, or anything about you, really, but I'm warning you: I'm much more open-minded regarding the D'ni than most of my people- us Ahrotahntee know about all your lies and pretences. So just a friendly piece of advice: I'll help you, I'll wait as patiently as I can, but you'd better help me all the way if you want my support in this thing, whatever this joke is all about- 'coz that's what it is: a JOKE! And a very bad one indeed. I want to go home. And when a Morzened wants something, they get it. When one wants, one can- that's one of our sayings..." She grinned again, her face unfathomable, this time, "let's be good friends", she added in English.
"I cannot wait to see what comes out of all this..." she thought aloud in English as she watched Lunnane go down, bringing down a young boy with longish dark hair.

Let's hope this one's to be trusted... Oh no, by Daanah! He is hurt- the other man there should have something in his case for that...
She looked around herself again as she walked up to Lunnane and the hurt boy.
If what the D'ni said is right, though, I have no idea what I'll do... Oh, Mother Ocean.... I really AM missing my family now...
She closed her eyes tightly and opened them again quick. Strong. She was strong. She'd gone through worse, hadn't she?
No, not really.

#41 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 14 January 2010 - 01:52 PM

A wizard. Erkos grimaced. Of course, this could mean a scientist or magician - the D'ni had many recorded instances of such people terming themselves wizards. Many even believed it themselves. Neither the Amad or Americans would not believe such things, however, and he had claimed that as a residence. It would be unlikely that even a master illusionist could so illusion his own mind. Most likely, it was the real thing. The D'ni had records of people like that as well - people who could grasp at elemental forces found in their Ages, and so manipulate reality to their wishes.

The man seemed friendly, though. That was moderately reassuring to Erkos. After all, "Ally with magma and you do not fear it".

Erkos' scrutiny of the situation was quickly diverted by the agitation of Aalana. She seemed friendly, at least at the end. The sudden changes in behavior were puzzling, however. Keeping his distance, he analyzed her questions and realized that most seemed fairly rhetorical. At least, she did not seem to wish to pause to have him answer them. He stayed silent, subtly reaching for the crowbar in his pocket in case she became agitated again. Yet more magma, at least in temperament.

#42 User is offline   ZangieF 

• MC's self-proclaimed IT security expert
Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:13 PM

View Postluna, on Jan 14 2010, 10:08 AM, said:

in other words resttime = half the flying time with flying time max 60 min.

Yup, that's exactly it.

#43 User is offline   luna 

• meh

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:58 PM

Lunanne carefully lays the boy down on the ground and turns to Lyall. "you're Lyall right, didn't you say you had medical stuff, I think he needs it, he's breathing but suffering from nightmares and not waking up. Erkos seems to be bleeding too, if that red stuff is blood, that is". then she steps backwards, closes her eyes and checks her mental walls and her power levels. really carying that boy had been draining while he was constantly badgering her walls She looks around : Erkos seems to be suspicious of her and holding something out of sight. Aalana was also distrustful and seemed to be pretty good with those swords. They didn't form any danger to her but she wouldn't trust them. She didn't trust any one really. she looked at the boy again seeing that Lyall had kneeled beside him. looks weird, a bit human really, he can get better or die for all I care. There all the same, caring leads to sadness and they're not worth it. But no one deserves to suffer like that

#44 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 14 January 2010 - 04:48 PM

Oh yes. Erkos thinks as he looks down at his arm. I'm still bleeding.

#45 User is offline   Lostthyme 

• Quab Wrangler

Posted 14 January 2010 - 05:38 PM

Sniffling slightly, Sylvia swung her legs back and forth at the cliff's edge. She had never found heights frightening; quite the opposite. She found something comforting about being able to look out over things, nothing hidden from her sight.

She was in a different world. There was no doubt about it. The sun, the ground, the very atmosphere felt wrong, somehow. But something in her mind wouldn't let her fully accept this. Best to brush it off and move on, she thought. All of these other people seem to be handling it well, why can't I? Sylvia cast a glance down at the trees below her.

Too far to jump, and there aren't any good handholds in the rock. I wonder if those trees there would support my weight?
She could hear the others discussing things behind her. More introductions, no doubt. Her eyes were caught by something on the ground far below. Sylvia's eyes widened and she turned around.

"Hey, guys," she said, her tone even and calm now. "There's some sort of campsite down there!"

Sylvia looked back to the cliffside then up to the sky, quashing down all doubts and fears. "And it looks like the sun is getting brighter."

#46 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:32 PM

Lunanne accepted his telepathic apology, and Lyall was relieved. He spared a moment to wonder about the fact that he can telepath with her, and decided that- if she and possibly even one of the others are willing, later on- he would be interested in experimenting. He knew his Iyeranse limits, knew it should be impossible- and yet, only a certain group, of which he was included, had telepathy, and only then generally with one another. Yet he knew that Lunanne was not like him, and thus he shouldn't have been able to telepath to her. However, she was a telepath, and perhaps that explained it. And yet, he also had to consider his current mental blocking off of part of his powers- he wondered if that, at all, affected it. He hadn't received her in words, just in an impression. Nor, as far as he knew, had he sent in words. So it was possible that if he dropped his barriers, he would be able to send better to an actual telepath, and possibly even reach non-telepaths... if he dared to lower his barriers, which would never voluntarily happen.

He watched Lunanne shake and then splash the man, noticing critically that he appeared unresponsive to both sets of stimuli. From what he knew, that wasn't good. He turned to Lunanne. “I can not promise you I can wake him from unconsciousness,” he warned her. “It may be the best thing for his body. I will check him over for injuries, and then I will treat what I can. But there may be no way to wake him except to wait it out. Unless you want me to give him a sedative, to ease him into sleep without dreams. Without knowing the extent of his injuries right now, I would not recommend it, just in case it worsens the damage.”

He looks over at Erkos. “You are welcome to supplies from my pack if you believe you can treat yourself, sir. If not, I can treat you when I finish with him, if that is acceptable. I have dressings and pads here in the bag, as well as some antiseptic wipes, if you believe there is a risk of infection.”

He knelt beside the unconscious man. Opening his main bag, he pulled out the medical kit. Opening that up as wide as he could, he pushed aside the wrappings and left them over for the wounded man to use if he wanted, looking for the tools.

Of course, if there were serious injuries, Lyall did not know exactly what he could do about them. He had much equipment, but only the knowledge of basic first aid. He was not sure he would be capable of saving the life of the man, if it came down to it. He might be able to do mild magical intervention, but he already knew there was no source of energy with which to replenish himself. What he had gotten in the Fissure, he had used to seal the curse, not to replenish himself; he had felt replenished and “topped off”, as Americans might say about their gas tanks. However, if he expended a significant amount of energy healing the man, there was no guarantee he had find another source of energy. And if he did not, and a later disaster came up that required his powers, would he regret helping this man now? To make things even more complex, to do magical healing, he would need to unwind the traps in his mind, and that would take a few minutes- minutes which, if the man was very badly off, could cost the man deeply.

Enough speculation! I need to know how he is before I worry about what to do! Pulling out the stethoscope, he put it on and put it over the man's heart, listening for a beat. Lunanne said he was still alive and dreaming, but hearing the quality of the heart beating would tell him some things.

Can either the GMs or Yntu please give me some details about Akh's condition so Lyall can treat him without killing him? Gloa, if you want to borrow some stuff, according to the medikit I linked on Lyall's sheet, there's gauze, med tape, antiseptic/antiinfection wipes, and every size bandage pads you can think of- it's like a kitchen sink kind of kit, so Erkos can probably find something to fix himself with.

#47 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 15 January 2010 - 10:39 AM

At the recommendation of Lyall, Erkos rummaged through the medical supplies. The complexity of the arrangement astounded him. He was able to quickly find a bandage wrapping which he clumsily tied over his wounded arm. Not wanting to encroach on the man's generosity, he cleaned off the rest of his arm with pieces of his own cloak. Soon I must change my outfit.

Curious, he looked more carefully at the other components of the medikit. Without the ability to read the apparently Latin labels, he was forced to rely on his knowledge of chemistry to determine the substances involved. The tape looked useful, but it had a strange medical smell to it - if it was meant for a specific task, it may not be the best thing to use. The other salves and materials were equally confusing, although Erkos could recognize a few of the simpler chemicals. Mild toxins. Why would a person want a salve that is a poison? Is it to remove bugs?

Retreating from this field of scientific inquiry, Erkos walked back to the cliff ledge to look at the sight that had excited Sylvia. As the others seemed to not need him at the time, he surveyed the surrounding areas with his goggles.

1. Erkos can't read English, and he doesn't even know there is an English writing system (the Amad do not have a writing system). He does recognize the alphabet used as Latin, however, and so assumes that it is that language.
2. The Amad do not fully understand germs. They recognize that a person who is sick has "bad dirt" which can cause them to be contagious, and so they try to keep things clean. They do not understand that these are actual microscopic living creatures. Thus, Erkos does not know why someone would try to kill such things (the antiseptic) with toxins. Perhaps a doctor of the Amad would be able to intuitively know why (for they occasionally would use similar things, although they knew not why), but Erkos is not a doctor.
3. Erkos is using the D'ni goggles as binoculars for the most part, although he also uses the infrared and other filters to look for anything odd.

#48 User is offline   Lostthyme 

• Quab Wrangler

Posted 15 January 2010 - 04:19 PM

Sylvia looked up from her view of the campsite when she heard someone walk over to her. The man who had tried to help her come to terms with her situation earlier was standing near her. Strange goggles were pulled down over his eyes and he seemed to be casually surveying the small hut and campfire.

Sylvia looked away from him, biting her lip. "Uh... I don't know if you understand me," she said to the man, "but... thanks for trying to help me. This is all just so confusing." She smiled a little. "But I think I understand now. Just a little. There's nothing I can do right now except go with the flow. No point in flailing around."

She looked back up to him. "And uh... sorry for my behavior earlier. I was being ridiculous." She offered her hand up to him to shake. "My name is Sylvia. I'm from... Earth."

#49 User is offline   Yntu Bux 

• rehlyihmah (the unseen)

Posted 16 January 2010 - 05:35 PM

Water in his face. A faint silhouette. Motion.

Am i falling again?

Soft earth beneath him. With the gradual, fitful return of consciousness, Akhashver's ability to feel pain also returns. The back of his head is saturated with the pain so completely, that breathing is hard. His shoulder blades and pelvis also ache strongly. The bouncy "sports shoes" from Earth are probably the only reason his heels are not on that list. Falling with his back on a flat piece of stone was definitely not an experience he would ever like to repeat.
Something cold and round touches his chest. For a moment - he panics! The nightmare is still fresh in his head: a unit of the Vashar Dynasty's armed peons has captured him and was cutting him up into different shapes, then making him walk even as parts of him dangled or slid off each other. Then his wounds were sealed with cement, only for different ones to be carved and the routine repeated. But he relaxes quickly. It was just a dream. Nobler Humans probably never heard of cement. And if they did, you still couldn't mend a wound with it. Besides, nobody could survive even the first carving - the one where they made him look like a spiral tabernacle decoration. An even more reassuring fact: the cold object against his chest has no sharp edges and moves smoothly across his scarred skin.
With great effort, Akhashver opened his eyes. He could only manage a crack, just enough to look through his eyelashes at a point directly before (or is it above?) him. Moving his eyes would be his next step. Maybe. As his gaze focuses and clears, he sees her: a beautiful, winged woman whose head is surrounded by a halo!
His thoughts start racing, quickly recalling as much as he can about such things. Earth had at least three names for them. Akhashver tries hard to speak, but his mouth is yet to respond, so all he can do is focus his thoughts, try to form the words in his mind as clearly as if he were actually saying the words. After all, surely She can understand him, even without him speaking?

Mal'akhit? Angelos? Janiyya?

His view and mind both clear further, and Akhashver begins to recognize the structure of her face: the chin and jaw bones, the cheeks, the eyes, the ears... Yes, he was literally worlds off-target with his first assessment. He tries again, and this time his mouth moves, managing to utter the words, though his voice is weak and raspy:

"Hevit leldar?"

Somewhat reassured by being able to speak again, he manages to open his eyes a bit wider and move his pupils here and there. He can see a man crouching over him. Two tubes exit the man's ears, merging into a single one which goes down outside Akhashver's field of vision. What he feels on his chest is likely attached to that tube and manipulated by the man's hand, but to confirm that, he'd have to raise his head from the ground.

@Luna: Eladrins are entities similar to angels, revered by Elves on Dyverside (a high fantasy style Age). So if Lunanne's telepathy isn't word-based, she'll probably get what he's asking as "are you an angel?"
The reason Akh thought he saw a halo is because the sun was just behind Lunanne's head when he opened his eyes.

@Capella: Akh has a mild concussion and the back of his head is slightly bleeding from a tiny crack in the skull. So heartbeat is normal but breathing is a bit messed up.

#50 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 16 January 2010 - 07:00 PM

Erkos turned to the girl as he processed the meaning of what he had seen. "I too come from Earth... Sylvia. You must be yourself from the Americas, I assume." Her hand remained outstretched, and Erkos searched through his memories for what the greeting possibly meant. Hastily, he reached out and touched the hand, bowing slightly as he did so. "My name is Erkos. I understand that this... occurrence," he gestured upward at the sky, "That it might be upsetting."

"...or to reveal, or to hint. Never to slay but with good purpose. Never to take that which has been returned to you this day. Never to do ill, or to cause ill to be done. Never to return..."

"The Peace of the Maker be with you."

Behind him, he could vaguely hear and sense as Lyall began to treat the unconscious boy. "If we are to unite, we will need a shelter, sooner or later, and some formation of water. I do not trust this location, as more things may loosen and fall through the same as we." he muttered, perhaps partly to Sylvia, though he had turned back to look at the campsite.

Share this topic:

• 15 Pages +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users