• « First
  • Last »

For Queen And Age! IC

#76 User is offline   luna 

• meh
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:141809

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:56 AM

Lunanne listens to Aalana she doesn't see, doesn't understand. We've been accused of manipulating thoughts for years! and never got those dumb humans too understand that we just don't do that. I've been accused of causing a suicide 3 miles away for god's sake , Like that is possible. Calm down lunanne, getting angry doesn't help.
When Aalana is done talking to Sylvia . Lunanne says to her (d'ni)" I don't consider myself a " great leader". We, the elves, see boasting and arrogance as childlish, since it caused us a lot of trouble a long time back. That is why I made that comment. Your music is wonderful and I have no problem with it " takes a deep breath " prying on people is indeed considered amoral, but we never got the people on our birthage to understand that and they used to accuse us of every dead in 1 mile radius. We don't talk about those matters. ". " oh yeah," says Lunanne and looks Aalana straight into the eyes "please don't bow , not even to mock . It is unnecessary" hoping to get across to the girl that she meant that serious, very serious.

Click to reveal hidden content

How will Aalana react on this? Why does Lunanne dislike bowing? What do the others think about their sleep? Will they find cover?
Find out in the next episode of "for queen and age"

sorry but it is turning in some kind of soap really :scared:

#77 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:38 AM

Erkos slowly considered who to respond to first. Neither Lunanne or Aalana seemed to be in a particularly forgiving mood, so he began with Sylvia. Drawing close, he quickly summarized the discussion in quiet English. "The girl described the sleep effect as caused by her music, claiming it can control emotions and thought. The winged one gave a somewhat irritated response, which caused the girl to claim the moral guarding she places over her power, and to in turn antagonize the winged one. The winged one seems somewhat hurt, perhaps due to an older problem - I know not exactly what."

The training imager was blurred and - oddly - upside down, but Erkos watched it anyway. "This sword is your weapon. You can use it for three things: to kill, to threaten to kill, and to decorate your house. The sword is your enemy's weapon. He can use it for the same three things. Remember that, and make sure your enemy always needs more decorations. Then, you will not have to fight at all."

He turned to Lunanne next, silencing the biting remarks he wished to give to Aalana. "My thoughts," he said flatly, nodding and indicating his head. I'm not sure what you can hear, but this - stream of thoughts? - is what I want you to pay attention to. We need to get to shelter soon. There is a campsite down the cliffs a little ways. That might be a convenient location, and no less safe than any area in this unknown Age. Have Aalana care for the boy. That should keep her occupied until we can better deal with her dangerous powers. The cliffs should be simple to scale, as the trees should take any weight expended in such a short fall. Perhaps with your flight, we could test them for this. In any way, I will make plugs for all of our ears soon, in case you need a pair as well. ...That is the end of my message.

#78 User is offline   luna 

• meh

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:57 AM

Lunanne listens to Erkos's explanation he got it quite right she thinks wryly then she notices the sign Erkos makes and gets most of his thoughts interesting he does it quite well for a non-telepath, he has a good concentration . Lunanne looks at the boy (d'ni) "Aalana, could you try to give the boy something to drink? he might dry out. I'll take a look at the campsite, maybe I can find out more about that being" She unfolds her wings, warns the squee and jumps of the cliff with a starting run. She circles a few times above the campsite and when nothing happens, checks out the trees.

wryly is a word right? I don't feel like checking it

#79 User is offline   Swampthing 

• Master of Games
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:03330098

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:45 PM

As time passes by, the morning seems to advance quickly. The quality of light {which, upon your arrival was comparable to an Earth spring day's 5 o clock in the morning or so} has gradually come to be nearly that of high noon, perhaps entering double digits. The sounds and sights of the wildlife around you also conform to this, far as one can tell in a place full of unfamiliar fauna. To those with a good time sense, however, it doesn't feel like 5 hours have passed at all. In fact, no more than half of that could have gone by.

Erkos only:
Being more acutely aware of your surroundings, you are able to notice that, while light was penetrating further and further into the forest on the cliff, the horizon away from the cliff has been growing darker and darker, although the masses of clouds did not seem to move any closer. It is as if a gargantuan bullseye lantern was pointed at the ground, its spotlight gradually moving in a direction opposite to the stream's.

One by one, the sleepers awaken. Having been woken early, Erkos is still somewhat sore at the points of the harder impact, but his forearm no longer hurts under the bandage, and it seems there is no more bleeding. The others now awaken completely free of pain. Bruises are gone completely, bumped heads show no swelling and small scratches have vanished without a trace. Akhashver's bleeding has likewise stopped, along with all other ails, though some lightheadedness and nausea remain, perhaps from the concussion or the bloodloss.

The squee chirps with excitement, as its friend carried it through the air. When Lunanne lands on the branch of a tree, it bends from the impact, but instantly straightens once more, holding her weight with no sign of cracking. The squee's mozzle moves instinctively, as it catches and appealing smell, and it jumps off to a nearby, thinner branch and runs to its end, where an inviting bunch of green buds emits a scent that is unfamiliar but decidedly pleasing. The critter starts munching the buds, its ears moving rapidly.

Lunanne only:
From your vantage point in the tree, you see a figure come of out the shelter! Your angle is almost completely vertical, so it's hard to see the face, but the figure is short, with very dark skin and long, black hair. Judging by the body shape, it is most likely a young girl {around 12, if human}. She is wearing a skirt made of vines and leaves that reaches her knees and leans on a crudely made bow longer than her own height, that is held in her right hand. She radiates a sense of purpose, of duty, that Lunanne can sense even without opening up to listen to the girl's mind. If she did, she could probably "read" much more from her.
The girl looks around, emitting a shade of puzzlement, then looks up at the sky. Her face is quite unusual, diverging from that of a "normal" human more than Lunanne's own face, but it's hard to notice details in the brief few moments her face is turned this way. She clearly does not notice Lunanne. She returns into the tent, and immediately comes out again with a small oblct in her left hand. She throws it into the stream, then picks up a primitive arrow from the ground and, pointing her bow towards the water where the object fell, notches the arrow. A thin vine seems to hang from the arrow's butt.

#80 User is offline   luna 

• meh

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:10 PM

Lunanne freezes as the girl appears. seems sentient she thinks I need to warn the others without her noticing. . "come back" she thinks to the squee and when it's unwilling "be silent , there 's danger take fruit with you".
she decides not to read the being's mind ,no reason really . She waits a while but the girl stays looking at the water careful now, maybe I should warn the others to stay away from the cliff, now who to call she thinks and decides on Lyall, he has somekind of telepathic ability he'll probably hear it "Lyall"' she calls out with her mind , "stay away from the cliff! there's a being here. i'll try to come away unnoticed " She looks around hmm if I climb higher up in the tree I might be able to take flight without her noticing very carefully she starts climbing up trying to make as less sound as possible. When she's at the top of the tree she takes off. when she's sure she's out of sight of the being above the cliff she lands, all but falling to the ground from exhaustion from taking flight without running start. She stands up and slowly walks towards the group . when she's there she says (d'ni) " there's a young girl by the campsite , some years younger than you" nodding towards Sylvia "she looks strange, stranger than me, but seems sentient. She is fishing or something like that by a river close by the campsite" She sits down breathing hard.

#81 User is offline   Allatwan 

• Prime Minister of the Black Moiety
  • KI number:01199433

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:17 PM

Aalana looked down.
"I am sorry, I didn't mean to boast, I... never mind, forget it".

oh yeah," says Lunanne and looks Aalana straight into the eyes "please don't bow , not even to mock . It is unessesary" hoping to get accross to the girl that she meant that serious, very serious.

"Sorry", she sulked, "I didn't mean to be hurtful... it's just I'm mad and want to go HOME! Meanwhile, all we're really doing here is WAITING for Dahnaa knows what to happen on top of this cliff... Maybe we should move on and actually DO something".

Aalana, could you try to give the boy something to drink? he might dry out. I'll take a look at the campsite, maybe I can find out more about that being

"Sure", Aalana sighed and shrugged, fetching her rucksack and dragging it to where Akhashever was. Without waiting for another reply from the others, she looked for a waterbottle.
Poor boy, she thought, what are you thinking about all this? I bet it's all strange to you... like it is for me...
She bowed her head and closed her eyes. No use crying, she thought, you've been through worse... She tried to remember Riven, and earlier... Bro Keinmor. She really missed it. She felt her initial anger die as she thought of everything: how Atrus had promised she'd go home through that Fissure, how she had made so many great plans to explore the Surface, how they had all been ruined by that second Fissure...
"Here", she muttered in D'ni, then repeated it in English, "this is for you- water, to drink. You probably need some with that cut of yours".
The boy smiled and drank. Feeling utterly useless- she passably hated feeling useless- she took out her journal.

18th day of the dark month of Riuros koad Gwez Bezv

I already feel this is going to be the worse experience since I left Kerr'Is! Everyone is now awake and Lunnane and Erkos are talking by themselves. I bet they hate me- hah, as if I care! I miss everyone in Kerr'Is already... I had planned EVERYTHING for the Surface, not THIS! I am almost entirely sure SOMEONE here MUST know the reason why we're here... but why won't anyone say anything? Maybe I'm wrong? I don't know yet...
Gosh, I suddenly wish we fell on another one of Atrus' books! At least I'd find out the truth... I can't believe Erkos. No, I mean, it's been only a few months!
Well, here I am, "waiting". It's always better than getting into fights. I'm loud-mouthed, I know it, and might be a bit impatient, but that's no reason to- never mind. I will try to keep quiet and walk at the back of the group from now on. That shouldn't be very hard to do. Besides, that will give me a great opportunity to watch without telling the others too much about myself.
Perfect.

She watched the red-skinned teen wipe a long strand of hair away from his eyes. He reminded her a bit of Thurien... same age, same type of hair. Other than that, they were very different, but she liked finding something- or someone, in this case- that mildly reminded her of home... it was reassuring, in a way.
I wonder what the others are doing... she looked away in the distance at the trees past the cliff.

#82 User is offline   Lostthyme 

• Quab Wrangler
  • KI number:00280695

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:26 PM

Sylvia shrank away from the girl with swords as she began shouting something in a strange language. Sylvia looked away and began picking at a dirt spot on the leg of her pants. It seems a lot of people here speak that language, she thought. I wonder if it's somehow important.

"Have you slept well?" Sylvia looked up to see the girl smiling at her.

Her emotions are going to give me whiplash
, Sylvia thought . I think there are drugs for people who are this bipolar.

"I hope you aren't going to be mad at me for... that," the girl continued. "I shan't do it anymore if it disturbs people. And I certainly am not about to show all the Morzenediou have to offer with their culture anymore", here the girl cast a dark look at Erkos and Lunanne, "since it seems to disturb some of us here..."

Sylvia managed to give a weak smile. "Oh no," she replied. "It's fine. I have to admit that it was a little confusing to pass out like that..." she trailed off. "But I can't argue with a few moments of sleep. Something tells me we're going to need it."

Sylvia noticed Erkos edging near her. She looked up at him expectantly.

"The girl described the sleep effect as caused by her music, claiming it can control emotions and thought," he said, his voice low. "The winged one gave a somewhat irritated response, which caused the girl to claim the moral guarding she places over her power, and to in turn antagonize the winged one. The winged one seems somewhat hurt, perhaps due to an older problem - I know not exactly what."

Sylvia nodded to herself as he turned away to talk to Lunanne. I understand that being forced into a sleep would bother some people. Erkos didn't look too pleased about it himself. I'll have to be careful, she thought, remembering the expressions on the girl and Lunanne's faces. Some of the people here seem really willing to lash out at anyone.

Sylvia noticed that Erkos was staring oddly at Lunanne. They both seemed to come to some silent agreement. After saying a few words to the girl, Lunanne spread her wings and flew over the cliff's edge. A few moments later, Lunanne reappeared.

The woman began breathlessly saying something in the language again. Sylvia noticed that she nodded once in her direction and met her eyes as she spoke.

Sylvia leaned over toward Erkos. "What was that?" she asked. "Why did she nod at me?"

#83 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:42 PM

"What was that? Why did she nod at me?"

"I believe she was attempting to indicate the age of another being that she saw. She describes her as a young girl - younger than you appear. Sentient, it seems, but probably not human."

He spoke to the group in D'ni and English - Amad does not seem to be used here, nor does the other American language - "The campsite is likely a safe area as far as natural concerns are involved. I propose that we talk to this person. It is no good to run away blindly, and we cannot learn much from observation before we will need to start thinking about our own shelter.

We should proceed cautiously. While most of us survey the encounter from this cliff, some few of us may go to the person to ascertain their motives. Lyall, will your magical power protect you if you are attacked?"

#84 User is offline   Yntu Bux 

• rehlyihmah (the unseen)
  • Group: Member

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:59 PM

Akhashver woke up slowly, hearing the words others exchanged. When he finally opened his eyes, the Imnotanangel woman was gone, but a beautiful girl with fierce eyes was holding out a canteen to him, speaking to him in D'ni. Before he had time to recall the words' meaning, she switched to the same Earth language from before. Akhashver smiled. He had much more recent practice with that than he did with D'ni. The circumstances were fuzzy in his mind already, but he did firmly remember that he has been on Earth for a significant time now, and they spoke some English almost everywhere on that enormous Age, aside form whatever else they spoke. He rose to a sitting position and accepted the canteen, taking a long sip of water with his eyes closed.

[english] "Thank you."

Opening his eyes, he saw the girl was now busy writing in some sort of a notebook. He drank some more and got up, making sure he is stable on his feet, his eyes casually turning here and there to take in the scenery. Only when he saw the girl has finished writing, did he approach her. He sat down beside her, brushing away the hair from his face and offered her back the canteen.

"Thanks, I'm..."

- he hesitated, not entirely sure what should come now. In each age, he has a different name, one that fit the age and served to make him appear less alien to the locals. In the greater ages, where cultures and languages were many, he has more than one. He had lived longer in the kibbutz than he ever remembered staying in any one place - maybe even a whole year. The first time he wrote down his Earth name there, the locals read it as a misspelled "Akhishefer" - not the most common name, but quite normal for them. Since then, he kept that as his Israeli name, although he heard his "default" Earth name there as well... just not as a name for anyone who lived during the last two thousand years. But now he wasn't sure where he was anymore. Probably still Earth, but he didn't recognize any of the smells, the trees or even the birds' voices, so it was unlikely to still be Israel. He didn't remember Guyana or Africa, from his previous sojourns on Earth, well enough to compare. So, the default Earth name, then.

"...I'm Ahasferos. Say, where are we? I must have fallen on my head or something."

With that, he felt the back of his head with a had, but to his surprise found only caked blood and no pain or swelling.

"And how long was I knocked out?"

He strained his memory, trying to recall some piece of information to deduce the country he was in from the girl's attire, but couldn't dredge up anything relevant. Then his eyes fell on another girl, this one younger, looking about his age or so. This one dressed in a completely modern, western way. So was the pale man waking up a few paces away. But the there was this robed figure - a third style entirely - and then the older man... Briefly closing his eyes, Ahasfer shook his head, as if to force the fog out of it. He hated not knowing his situation, but had to keep appearing calm, casual and friendly, lest he draw suspicion and hostility. He saw the winged woman (the original source of his confusion) returning and his gaze now traveled towards her. Silently listening to the conversation between the others, he reminded himself to be patient: It will all make sense... sooner or later... eventually.

#85 User is offline   Lostthyme 

• Quab Wrangler

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:13 PM

"I believe she was attempting to indicate the age of another being that she saw. She describes her as a young girl - younger than you appear. Sentient, it seems, but probably not human."

"Oh," Sylvia replied. "Cool."

"The campsite is likely a safe area as far as natural concerns are involved," Erkos said, addressing the whole group. "I propose that we talk to this person. It is no good to run away blindly, and we cannot learn much from observation before we will need to start thinking about our own shelter.

"We should proceed cautiously. While most of us survey the encounter from this cliff, some few of us may go to the person to ascertain their motives. Lyall, will your magical power protect you if you are attacked?"

Sylvia looked away at this point, hearing a quiet voice talking nearby. She raised her eyebrows when she saw the injured boy sitting up and listening to their conversation. What a strange skin coloring, she thought. Red.

"Hey, come join us," she called as she waved her arm at him and the girl. "Lunanne found someone down in the campsite place."

#86 User is offline   Swampthing 

• Master of Games

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:25 PM

Lyall only:
You get Lunanne's words clearly. You also get a vague image of what she sees: the forest below, just like the part here on the cliff, the campsite Sylvia and Erkos spoke of, and a child-sized figure moving quickly between the shelter and the stream. It's very unclear, like looking at something with your peripheral vision without any other kind. You would probably be able to get a much clearer image, if it weren't for this Age's... conditions.

Finally accepting the urgency, the squee grabs another bunch of buds in its mouth, pulling it off the branch, and hurries to settle on Lunanne's shoulder. Just after she sends her instruction to Lyall, Lunanne can see the girl let lose an arrow into the water, the vine trailing behind it, and start walking over to the stream. When Lunanne takes flight, the flapping of her wings and the rustle of the branch she pushed off from combine into a rather audible noise, drawing the girl's attention. However, the distance between the tree and the cliff is so small, that the moment it takes the girl to let go of the vine she was now pulling at and turn, is enough for Lunanne to reach the edge, having most likely remained unseen.

Lunanne only:
A flash of hopeful excitement from the girl. Notably, it comes after you have landed.

#87 User is offline   luna 

• meh

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:41 AM

Lunanne listens to the Erkos' translation and hiss adress to the whole group ohyeah the girl doesn't speak d'ni . Stupid me . yeah I guess we'll have to meet the girl . there really doesn't seem any other cover nearby. Still maybe we could make some kind of tent. There seem to be a lot of backpacks. No too much in the open *sigh* it's probably not you who'll have to make first contact here. you're not there leader. She says to Sylvia "Sorry, I should have remembered that you don't speak d'ni. " then she talks to the group " the girl was hopeful excited just, I think she noticed me and she might have heard us talking."

Then she hears Sylvia talking to the boy and talks to him too "Yeah, come here, we might be able to give a short summary of what happened to catch you up" .She noticed there was something weird about the boy although she couldn't say what was weird. He seemed normal enough.

#88 User is offline   Allatwan 

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:01 AM

"Thank you", the boy finally said.
Aalana looked up with a faint smile.
"No problem..."
"...I'm Ahasferos. Say, where are we? I must have fallen on my head or something." he went on.
She frowned, putting her journal away with a sigh.
"Well... I am not sure I am the best one to explain all this... I... mm... Let's start from the very begining, then", she smiled, "I am Aalana Kaour, second eldest child of Luhaan, Chief of our clan on my Age. My people are called.... the Morzenediou. We come from Bro Keinmor, we are... nicknamed "the people from the sea". The others can present themselves, I don't really know them that much anyway...
What happened was that we all fell through a linking void that is called the Fissure. I have absolutely no idea why or how this happened, but it did. We all arrived here and apparently, you seem to have hurt your head. I had... I felt I had to put you out while the others were washing your wound, since it must have hurt a lot. You see..." she chuckled sourly, "you are going to think I'm a freak too, but since I cannot do something like that without letting you know- I can sing and make music that, err, acts a bit on how you feel and can... do things. Little ones, though, do not worry! I only made everyone fall asleep. Please- forgive me for not having asked your permission before", she looked away. She hoped she wouldn't have to repeat her story again. She hated it.
Ahasferos... what a strange but interesting-sounding name... I wonder where he is from...
She thought about asking, but shook her head. No, that might be thought rude. Let him tell us if he wants- you wouldn't want too many questions yourself, now, would you? Indeed not...

"And how long was I knocked out?" the boy asked.
"Errr.... I have no idea how time works here", she admited, "and since everything is so quick here and on the other Age- the Surface, I don't even know how it's called- I couldn't even tell you if I wanted!"
"Yeah, come here, we might be able to give a short summary of what happened to catch you up", Lunnane suddenly called.
Aalana got up, smothering her dress and leaving her rucksack near a tree.
"Do you want me to help you up or is everything alright?" she asked the young boy, trying to pronounce that language better. She hated her accent there...

#89 User is offline   Yntu Bux 

• rehlyihmah (the unseen)
  • Group: Member

Posted 21 January 2010 - 09:37 AM

A chief's firstborn, probably the heir, yet she acts quite humbly, thinks Ahasfer to himself. This one must be very benign, definitely a potential friend. He smiles cheerfully after Aalana's explanation and lays his hand on hers.

"Oh, but you did! I remember hearing your voice, and i think i mumbled Let's do it or something. So it's all good. And what you're saying doesn't sound freakish at all! Sounds like you're an artist, a real good one... and from how much pain i was in, and how i feel none of it now - i'd say a healer!"

He gives her an encouraging smile, then turns as the "modern" girl and the winged woman called him over. He springs to his feet, trying to ignore the dizziness.

"Yeah, think i'm fine... thanks to you and the others!"
- he says as he approaches those who called for him, then looks over to see if Aalana is coming too. The thought of emphasizing his lightheadedness, to solicit more contact from the lady, did occur to him, but he dismissed it, realizing that appearing capable, rather than a burden, must take priority, so downplaying the vertigo was a better idea.

"So, let me get that straight: everybody's from... different Ages? And does anyone know what age we're on now? I thought I heard D'ni earlier, while i was waking up - is one of you D'ni? I've read about them, met people who met them, but never met a D'ni myself."

As he asked this, Ahasfer's eyes hesitantly passed the bald man and the robed figure. He was pretty sure the others were not members of the legendary race: Aalana's explanation excluded the possibility she is one, the other girl and the pale man looked like typical, western earthlings, and he never heard of the D'ni having wings. Perceiving an uncomfortable silence, he realized asking these things without revealing anything about himself was probably bad form, so with an apologetic smile, he adds:

"Me, I was born on an Age called Serenia. But, I traveled a lot, though. Most of my life, probably. So I don't remember my village on Serenia too well, or my parents, or even what my father named me. Ahasferos is how they call me on Earth. Guess I thought that's where we are, hearing everybody speak English. My D'ni name is Beeratsanril"

Very smooth. No mention of Mother, and no reason for anyone to suspect there's more to it than that. It probably doesn't even matter, though. What's the chances one of them is a Dyversider? Still, you never know with humans of that color. If Mother could link away, maybe other Noblers could too.

#90 User is offline   Allatwan 

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:17 AM

Aalana smiled at the smiling boy.
Ah, finally someone that doesn't judge at first sight, she thought as she got up and followed him towards the others, by the cliff.
"So, let me get that straight: everybody's from... different Ages? And does anyone know what age we're on now? I thought I heard D'ni earlier, while i was waking up - is one of you D'ni? I've read about them, met people who met them, but never met a D'ni myself."
Aalana sniffed very quietly, hoping no one had heard, and bowed her head to hide her smile behind her hair.
Ahahah... so he knows about the D'ni too? Yes, of course... I wish I could answer that question for him! But no, I must blend in, make them forget our previous feud... I wonder if anyone will speak up?
"Me, I was born on an Age called Serenia. But, I traveled a lot, though. Most of my life, probably. So I don't remember my village on Serenia too well, or my parents, or even what my father named me. Ahasferos is how they call me on Earth. Guess I thought that's where we are, hearing everybody speak English. My D'ni name is Beeratsanril"
"Oh, Say-reh-nee-ah?" Aalana muttered, "That sounds beautiful..."
She wondered about his many names, but did not ask.
Rude, that's rude...

#91 User is offline   luna 

• meh

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:47 AM

Earth. The master talked about earth sometimes. It had cars and cities and stuff, but also open space, rare on Roundworld. this could be Earth I guess.

(english)"I don't know or this is Earth, I've heard about it but I have never been there " says Lunanne " I'm Lunanne, an elf, I can do telepathy and empathy, but I will not read your mind without permission. I come from Tertesev, an age written by the d'ni and I've been in k'veer but Erkos is really D'ni " nodds towards Erkos. Then she points towards the squee " this is a squee, it has no name and isn't dangerous" then she adds looking worried " are you sure you don't want to sit down? you were quite injured "

the master = man that came to roundworld. she doesn't know his real name, in roundworld he was always called "meester" which is dutch for master

#92 User is offline   padfoot7726 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 21 January 2010 - 03:07 PM

Ranath stayed quiet and simply observed for the time being, being still somewhat perturbed by the presence of people after so long in seclusion. The winged girl's pet was interesting to say the least, but Ranath was still a bit residually drowsy, and didn't pay attention entirely.

The sky was a welcome sight after his years in the D'ni caves, the last time in the open being his last trip to Harwae, his second age, of lush mountains and forest. It dawned on him that that had been six years ago. He sighed. Sometimes he forgot about his isolation in the caverns. Perhaps he should have simply moved permanently to Harwae. It was certainly a beautiful age, unlike Claden. Claden had been his first. He had, foolishly tried to recreate aspects of Channelwood. The result was a dying, unstable world that looked nothing like his memory. He had learned from his mistakes though, and he was certain that Harwae was stable. Standing in this unfamiliar world, he hoped to himself that he would make it back to Harwae some day.

#93 User is offline   Lostthyme 

• Quab Wrangler

Posted 21 January 2010 - 06:04 PM

Sylvia listened attentively as the boy introduced himself as "Ahasferos". Sylvia moaned inwardly at the addition of another strange name to remember. She was just lucky that she had managed to remember Lunanne's and Erkos' names. She glanced around the group as Lunanne asked the boy if he wanted to sit down.

The man with goggles and the red ribbon on his wrist was Erkos. The first person to really talk to her.

The woman with wings was Lunanne. Sylvia would have to tread lightly around her.

The new boy, Ahas... something. Sylvia had already forgotten.

The girl with swords. Sylvia had seen her temper. She seemed capable of handling herself but if the right buttons were pushed...

The man with the longer hair. Lunanne had addressed him as "Lyall". Sylvia's eyes darted over his face. She could feel a slight blush rising into her face.

There, lurking just a few feet away was the older man... Sylvia knew that she should know his name but in the hours spent here it had slipped away.

And then there's me, she thought.

"So what's the plan?" Sylvia piped up. "Is... Lyall going to go down there to meet the girl?"

#94 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:54 PM

Lyall awoke from the enchanted sleep more slowly than the others. As he roused, he knew that he had experienced a dream, but he could not hold onto it. There were images of running, of movement, of darting and waving through a forest. Yet there was also dreams of Ameya, of the way her eyes sparkled at him when they worked together, or of Aena and the way the matriarch had projected serenity. It was rather...difficult... to awaken to a strange place, not Earth nor Iyeranse.

He stayed quiet as the others discussed the song and the music, some of the conversation in English, some in a strange tongue. He spent the time checking his magical barriers. The curse ones had held, though he worried that exposure to such music again might break them. His regular ones were weakened, and after a moment he decided to lower them, in case he had to protect himself. Be it from the music, or from something in this strange land. And, were he to be put to sleep again, he decided that anyone who disturbed him might deserve it.

He is startled out of his mental weaving by a telepathic reach. "Lyall, stay away from the cliff! there's a being here. i'll try to come away unnoticed " Even more fascinatingly, there appears to be a vision accompanying it, but it's blurry and indistinct. It could be the fact that she's not human, or it could be the cage he's built dampening the telepathy. More intriguingly is the possibility that this place has interesting astronomical conditions. Clearly the light in the sky indicates that there is a deviation from an Earth and Iyeranse pattern of celestial bodies. He finds himself actually looking forward to nightfall, because he wants to see what the sky is like.

Realizing that he is thinking too much and paying too little attention to his surroundings, he lifts his head to look for the winged one, who is currently out of sight- below the cliff, then, spying.She returns and speaks in a strange language, but Lyall already understands the gist of it from her message. It is the robed man, Erkos, who translates for himself and, he presumes, the American girl as well.

"Lyall, will your magical power protect you if you are attacked?"

What a sensible question. He had never claimed to be a wizard on Earth, understanding that such a claim would be treated with disbelief and hostility. Yet this man clearly not only believed him, but trusted him enough to ask if his powers would work. Honesty and foresight, Lyall decided, should be rewarded.

Lyall pondered, closing his eyes and reaching out with his magical senses. It still resonated as dead space, but that didn't mean that he wouldn't be able to cast a spell.

"Magically, this place feels null to me. I would need to cast a sample spell to see if it works," he answered. "But, if it does work as expected, I should be able to protect myself. If they have no magic, but only conventional arms, I should be able to protect myself against anything short of an equivalent of an Earth firearm. If they have magic, I do not know,"he said honestly. Lyall looked at Erkos, Lunannane, and Aalana. "However, I appear to be the most nondescript person here capable of protecting myself. The others might stand out more."

"Is... Lyall going to go down there to meet the girl?" the other person native to Earth, Sylvia he thought her name was, asked.

"Let me attempt a small spell. If it works, I would appear to be the appropriate choice." he said calmly, although nerves twisted in his chest. Since realizing he couldn't regenerate his magic on Earth, he hadn't cast any spells, and he worried whether or not he'd be able to do it here- and, if he did, what that might mean about the curse. Especially with the light as it was. "Allow me to retrieve my wand and see what I can do."

Lyall headed back towards his bag, which had been abandoned when he'd fallen asleep along with the others while treating the man. He repacked the medical bag very quickly into his main bag, than opened the smaller bag. He used his body to shield what he was doing from the others as he took his wand and its holster from its metal case. attaching the holster to his belt, he held the wand lightly in his left hand as he walked back to the others.

"I advise you stand back so that no one is hurt," he suggested and waited for the others to move back. Holding his right hand out in front of him, he drew his left elbow back. He reached into his magical core, pulled power out from it and sent it up his arm and through his wand, feeling a very familiar tingle running through him, and then quickly flicked his wand towards his open right palm. "Flame!" he cried, and waited to see if it would emerge...

Will one of the GMs please respond with whether or not Lyall manages his spell? He is attempting to summon a small flame that will gently rotate above his palm, which is a spell he's practiced for 5 years and thus is competent at. Please tell me if and how well the spell resolves.

#95 User is offline   Swampthing 

• Master of Games

Posted 23 January 2010 - 06:54 AM

For a moment, the air feels suddenly cooler and, though the light does not weaken, everyone's vision shifts, for just this second, as if they were looking at the world through smoked glass. Both oddities disappear almost as soon as they're noticed, and in the next moment - Lyall's right palms bursts into flames!

As the startling effects of the sudden blaze subside, it becomes easy to see that his hand isn't actually burning. Instead, the flame dances just an inch above it, completely airborne, without any fuel to support it. The reddest core of the fire is about the size of an infant's head, with tongues of orange and yellow flame constantly rising up, dying and rising again into the air. The heat is easily felt by anyone standing close enough; yet Lyall's fingers, despite being close enough to the flame for maize kernels to pop, remain perfectly pale and unharmed. At most, there may be some blushing, though it could as well be just the flame's reflection.

An oblong, hairy brown insect rises from a flower some distance away and buzzes towards the unusual source of heat. Before getting very close, it twitches in mid-air and drops to the ground.

#96 User is offline   luna 

• meh

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:03 AM

Lunanne :eyebrow:s "Well, I guess that means you'll be able to defend yourself " she sighs and looks a bit jealous "if I think of all those hours I spent trying to light a campfire ".

I wasn't sure how to say :scared: in a clear short way. if it's all right I'll use emoticons this way more often. it makes posting here a lot easier

#97 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 23 January 2010 - 11:35 AM

Erkos recoiled very little from the surprise. "Impressive." he acknowledged. Judging from the air currents, it is no illusion. Yet the energy is contained in such a way, and perhaps harvested... More practically, that alone seems plenty of a defense in need. "Very impressive, Lyall." Although he was bursting with curiosity, he remembered the sun's slow race - or whatever this strange light is - and returned to immediate problems.

"You are our best chance in negotiations. If you go to meet the girl - the trees seem well equipped to cushion your weight for the transit down, or a rope may be employed if there are any to be had - I can survey the meeting with my goggles, and try to warn for any surprises. You and Lunanne seem to be able to communicate somewhat... telepathically, so perhaps she can stay back to coordinate efforts and to fly to your aid if things go wrong."

...or maybe the energy is transferred from...

It would probably be best if we sent someone with Lyall - probably Sylvia due to luck - but Erkos doesn't know that IC.

#98 User is offline   luna 

• meh

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:28 PM

"You are our best chance in negotiations. If you go to meet the girl - the trees seem well equipped to cushion your weight for the transit down, or a rope may be employed if there are any to be had - I can survey the meeting with my goggles, and try to warn for any surprises. You and Lunanne seem to be able to communicate somewhat... telepathically, so perhaps she can stay back to coordinate efforts and to fly to your aid if things go wrong."

(english) "I've got, uuh, 5 meter rope somewhere " says Lunanne and starts digging in her backpack "I understand Lyall pretty good so I don't think that will be a problem. What do you think Lyall? ah found it " and takes the rope from the backpack. "it should get you some way down the cliff, but the trees are strong enough too."

#99 User is offline   Lostthyme 

• Quab Wrangler

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:45 PM

Sylvia stepped back a few feet at Lyall's warning and bit her lip.

Something changed in the air and Sylvia instinctively threw her hands in front of her face. When she got up the courage to lower them, she saw flames glowing over Lyall's hand.

"Are you sure this isn't a dream?" she murmured weakly. "He's doing magic."

Her doubts came crashing back and she got light headed. This has to be a dream. But... it's not. She shook her head. Need to do something to distract you. Now is not the time to have a breakdown.

"Can..." she said weakly to Lunanne and Erkos. "Can I come watch Lyall from the cliff, too?"

#100 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:01 PM

It worked better than he expected. After leaving it up for long moments to prove to the others that it was not an illusion, Lyall waved his wand again, said "Extinguish!" He then cut the thread of magical power and let the flame die. Of course, he hadn't had to say anything to kill it, but perhaps it was best to keep things up his sleeve, like how much control he had over his magic.

He checked his magical core quickly. It hadn't been a significant drain. He could protect himself well enough from unexpected circumstances.

Erkos' words made sense, and Lyall nodded. "I believe that makes sense. I should be able to comprehend her warnings, and having backup is a good thought."

""I understand Lyall pretty good so I don't think that will be a problem. What do you think Lyall?"

Lyall nodded to Lunanne. "I believe we should be able to communicate well enough to give warning. However, depending on how badly things go, it might be best to write me off and not come to my assistance if I prove unable to handle this."

She found the rope and continued speaking. "It should get you some way down the cliff, but the trees are strong enough too."

"I think it will be fine. I've climbed trees in my day."

"Are you sure this isn't a dream?" she murmured weakly. "He's doing magic."

"It is not," Lyall gently assured her. "It is real. I assure you, I would never use it to harm you."

Share this topic:

• 15 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users