• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Carousel A Carnivalesque Nightmare...

#1 User is offline   Mystress 

• "Crazy" is a relative term...
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:01792588

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:13 PM

Finally finished my newest short horror story, Carousel! It might not be the most realistic tale in the book, but it's sure to be darned creepy and give you a few good chills... as only Mystress can provide, of course. :blinky:

Due to ongoing computer issues and a lack of trust in the pitifully slow computer I'm using right now, I'm posting a temporary link to the story on FictionPress.net. I would post the whole thing here, but I don't trust this laptop not to die on me. I should have the full text up here by next week; pardon my dust!

Clicky: The dark carnival is in town...

#2 User is offline   olddude 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 12 January 2010 - 07:50 AM

Dark... Very dark, but I think you've proved that your stories just need more vomit in them.

Seriously, your writing just keeps getting better. Keep it up!

#3 User is offline   Allatwan 

• Prime Minister of the Black Moiety
  • KI number:01199433

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:01 AM

:pout: WOW! This is EXCELLENT! I loved it! And I'm not the kind of person to like dark stuff! :gosh: I just thought I should give it a try since I'd really enjoyed Revilani Locusani. Well, I must say I wasn't disapointed! :gosh:

“Abigail…” A cold, spidery hand rested on her shoulder, clenching it painfully in its bony fingers. “Abigail… Look at me… I want to see your smiling eyes…”

:blinky: God, THAT part was the scariest, in my opinion! ^^

#4 User is offline   Mystress 

Posted 12 January 2010 - 08:15 PM

*dramatically bows all Mark Hamill Joker style*

Thank you! I'd hope my writing's getting better; I'm nearly in college now and I think I might want to start publishing my poems and short stories for a little cash on the side. Won't pay a lot, I know, but I'd love to do it anyway... just once in my life, you know? :pout:

To me, I think clowns are scary intrisically. I think it has a lot to do with the make-up. The traditional white-face clown has dark markings on a pale (in this case white) base, and often has red lips or a red nose (or both). Compare it to the face of a predator after a kill. A light or pale base with dark markings (stripes, spots, what have you), and a blood-stained mouth and nose from digging into their latest meal. It's even clearer if a clown grins, as baring the teeth is a standard sign of aggression or anger in animals and predators do sometimes snarl, showing off their teeth. I think that the Cerebellum, that reptile part of the brain, recognizes a predatory pattern in clowns - and that's why humans (in general) see clowns as unknowable and somewhat scary.

I also believe that the evil clown as a character represents madness. Clowns inhabit an exaggerated version of our world; they're us as a living cartoon, us without reality. Clowns are, at their base, caricatures of humanity itself. In a way, we're all foolish, all sneaky, all tricksters. Clowns just take that and hyperbolize it, showing us sides of ourselves that we don't want to see. Intellectually, that's another part of the fear - the clown is showing you the truth, mocking you for mocking it when you are just as big a fool as the clown is. Therefore, an evil clown is a version of ourselves without any control at all; an evil clown mocks us for trying to be good people when we are really grotesque and horrible on the inside. It's us if we let our wit blend with our bad traits and overwhelm us. An evil clown is our dark side come to life, a side with no sense of reality or morals, and that's horrifically frightening to most (if not almost all) people because we would really rather not face that evil, irrational, and dark side of us - especially not when it's in such a dramatically hyperbolic form as a clown.

Therefore, Abigail's evil clown represents her fear and an already unstable mindset. She has the potential for darkness inside her, as all humans naturally do, and she, like most people, is repelled by it. Because she doesn't want to face it, it confronts her - in the form of, what else, a caricature of her worst fears. It's not out to physically hurt her nor is it out to draw her into its world. It merely wants Abigail to take a good, long look at herself and realize that she's not as upright and likeable as she thinks - and when she does, the horror of seeing her true self causes her mind to unravel, because she avoided the truth and kept it bottled inside instead of accepting it and working with it.

I did admittedly base parts of the clown on the Joker - mainly in its frame and lanky limbs and its ringmaster-esque style of dress, but that's where the similarities basically end. And before anyone asks, yes, all of Abigail's experiences are indeed based on dreams I've had in the past. Not all my nightmares made it in, though - I had a horrible one about packs of chainsaw-wielding clowns chasing me through a long, dark maze once; another time I dreamt that I had awoken in a carnival, chained to a post by my neck like a dog, and there was this huge audience laughing at me... and if I didn't perform or do something, this hideously evil ringmaster-clown would hurt me very badly...

Yes, my mind is extremely messed up. But sharing that particular brand of sick, twisted evil is precisely my favorite thing to do. Why keep all my own fears locked inside when I can share them with everyone else, spreading them like a particularly malicious and nigtmare-inducing cancer...? And who's to say that my fears are any more unfounded than anyone else's?

I'll leave you guys to contemplate that last one. The Clown sends you its regards, of course. It's been watching you review the whole time, and it's anticipating the next target for its revelation...

Sweet dreams, kiddies... :blinky:

#5 User is offline   Allatwan 

• Prime Minister of the Black Moiety
  • KI number:01199433

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:17 AM

In in a Freudian way, Abigail would have been cured if she had willingly faced what she was unconsciously pushing away?

#6 User is offline   Mystress 

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:12 PM

If you want to take it that way... :pout:

This is my interpretation of my own story; it's not the Word of Yahvo about the story or anything. It's just what was going through my head while reading the story myself. Feel free to take the clown, Abigail, the descent to madness, etc. however you like. :blinky:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users