MYSTcommunity: Bring me up to date - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Bring me up to date or what is Cyan doing now?

#1 User is offline   Narayani Girl 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:41 AM

I discovered Myst two years ago. By then of course it was a well known, and finished series. I played the first four games, read three books, and cried in exasperation at what I'm afraid End of Ages will be. I know that Cyan nearly couldn't finish that game and went out of business shortly afterwards. I know that they couldn't get funding for some random undisclosed project. (Latus?) I know that a fourth book was planned but never finished. (Perhaps because Rand Miller lacked the heart to write any more about Myst?) All this was, when? Five years ago? Since then I figured nothing more would happen. I imagined Rand Miller working a normal job and not fooling around with the games that obviously weren't successful any more. And then... then, I read on here, they've brought back Uru LIVE!!! Somewhere out there, Cyan still exists; is still trying??? Can anybody bring up to date?

#2 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:12 AM

View PostNarayani Girl, on Mar 6 2010, 06:41 AM, said:

I discovered Myst two years ago. By then of course it was a well known, and finished series. I played the first four games, read three books, and cried in exasperation at what I'm afraid End of Ages will be. I know that Cyan nearly couldn't finish that game and went out of business shortly afterwards. I know that they couldn't get funding for some random undisclosed project. (Latus?) I know that a fourth book was planned but never finished. (Perhaps because Rand Miller lacked the heart to write any more about Myst?) All this was, when? Five years ago? Since then I figured nothing more would happen. I imagined Rand Miller working a normal job and not fooling around with the games that obviously weren't successful any more. And then... then, I read on here, they've brought back Uru LIVE!!! Somewhere out there, Cyan still exists; is still trying??? Can anybody bring up to date?

Okay, let's see...

Rough Cyan Timeline (I'm not entirely sure on the order of things and all, but this is the general idea)

- Various projects pre-Myst, including Cosmic Osmo and The Manhole.

- Myst

- Riven

- Cyan begins work on DIRT, a realtime game that eventually would become Uru/End of Ages. Presto Studios gets the job of making Myst III Exile, some company whose name I forget gets the job for a realtime game that resembles Myst IV somewhat in plot (I think what we know of as Exile might have been planned as Myst IV, at this time, with that as Myst III, but I'm not sure).

- Eventually, Cyan decides to make DIRT into MUDPIE, an idea for a multiplayer game of exploring D'ni and its Ages. RealMyst gets built sometime around here, as a test of the 3D realtime engine that would go into what would become Uru (after a short stint of the name "Parable"). Uru, or what would become it, is planned to be an online game with content added in bunches every now and then by a large staff at Cyan. It would be hosted, or whatever you call it, by Ubisoft, who at this time was very interested in multiplayer games like this.

- Uru Live beta starts so Cyan can work out the bugs in the system. Story based around the first Journey and some DRC happenings in the cavern starts as "Prologue". Uru, Ages Beyond Myst is released as a singleplayer game with the promised ability to go multiplayer when Uru Live fully opens.

- Uru Live is canceled in beta stage. Technical problems, Ubisoft's growing unease with multiplayer games and this troublesomely ahead of its time concept, etc.

- To D'ni is released so that single-player Uru fans can get to see the City.

- The Path of the Shell brings in single-player content that was originally intended for Uru Live. Ubisoft takes the concept of Myst IV and develops it themselves.

- Around this time, Cyan also sets up Until Uru, a way for decentralized fan based servers to run the content from Uru Live, for multiplayer stuff.

- Due to the poor sales of the expansion packs, Ubisoft asks Cyan to make the next set of Ages-originally-intended-for-Uru-Live into a new standalone game. Cyan makes End of Ages, tying together Uru and Myst in a way. Cyan closes its doors after this production.
(I think the special End of Ages edition had a piece of the beginning of the Book of Mariem that was planned around then [the fourth book], but they changed it later, and we never heard if they started rewriting it after that)

- Cyan comes back like a phoenix somehow. They have ideas for Latus, a game that we don't know much about as it never really seemed to get anywhere, and also set up their own "shard" in Until Uru - adding little bits of new content/events stuff.

- Gametap, convinced by Until Uru and Cyan's shard, picks up Uru Live. Until Uru closes down officially. Uru Live runs with some new content and refitting the content in PotS and To D'ni along with new storyline and such.

- Gametap, having problems of its own and seeing the relatively low amount of people going to Uru Live compared to the costs, decides to cancel. Cyan discusses making MORE, a Cyan run version of Uru Live that would gain them no profit.

- Cyan develops Cosmic Osmo's Hex Isle, a new 3D realtime game based on one of their older works to be distributed by Fanista (sp?). It's not especially good in sales, especially when the partner disappears.

- As MORE is put on hold due to budget problems in Cyan, Cyan finally decides to eventually release Uru Live as open source code, so the fans can modify and work on parts of it and such.

- Cyan develops Myst for the iPhone, which sells well as an iPhone/iPod Touch app. Cyan also begins work with Magiquest for their new MMO - Magiquest Online (spelling?), using the same engine behind Uru (and realMyst, Hex Isle, EoA, etc.).

- Cyan starts up MOULagain as the first step in open sourcing Uru Live. We also hear about development for Riven for the iPhone/iPod touch.

- Oh yeah, and there's also the Mysteriacs working on a Myst Movie based of the Book of Ti'ana.

#3 User is offline   Narayani Girl 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:58 PM

Yeah, I heard about the movie, but hasn't that been being worked on for years too? With no sign of a film company willing to produce it? Of course, I think Cyan should make the movie themselves. I mean, with all the live action stuff they did for the games they should be able to figure out a film! But of course, that's just wishful thinking. :blinky: I think a movie would be so cool...

#4 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 06 March 2010 - 04:13 PM

View PostNarayani Girl, on Mar 6 2010, 10:58 AM, said:

Yeah, I heard about the movie, but hasn't that been being worked on for years too? With no sign of a film company willing to produce it? Of course, I think Cyan should make the movie themselves. I mean, with all the live action stuff they did for the games they should be able to figure out a film! But of course, that's just wishful thinking. :blinky: I think a movie would be so cool...

All movies are worked on for years - they don't usually talk about them before a studio picks it up, though (so we're simply hearing about this much earlier than we usually would). And they haven't precisely gotten "no sign of a film company willing to produce it". I think these post explains the current state of things best.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users