MYSTcommunity: How bad is it? - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

How bad is it? or, I need advice.

#1 User is offline   Narayani Girl 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:22 PM

After playing Myst I was dying to play Riven, but had no plans or intentions to play Exile after that. Because I loved the game and I was certain that because Exile was made by another company it wouldn't be the same. But for Christmas my brother and I got the 10th anniversary DVD edition with the first three games on it, so when Riven was done, since we had Exile, we decided to see how badly they'd mangled it. I was amazed. I loved it. So, since Exile was so good, I decided Revelation couldn't be that bad, so when I got the irrepressible urge to play Myst I bought and played it. It was pretty good too.
BUT! End of Ages uses animations!!! I feel betrayed! I've been certain that it is not worth my time or money. I have heard several opinions that confirm this. Yet I feel like, I thought Exile was no good and I was wrong, maybe I'm wrong here too. Maybe I need to play it to find out just how bad it is.

What do you think?

#2 User is offline   Lostthyme 

• Quab Wrangler
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:00280695

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:44 PM

What a topic you've unleashed...

It's waaaay different than all of the others. Like you said, real actors were put aside for animated characters, which I think at the time were groundbreaking, but still. For me, at least, the feel that the previous games had (even Revelation to an extent although it was far from the original Myst itself) was absent and the game as a whole a had rushed, almost sloppy air. I think EoA was born of a need to put something out so it was slapped together from content they were planning on releasing in MOUL. On one hand I wish I had never played it, but on the other hand, all of the Myst jokes it generated are worth it.

Either way, I would say play the game just so you know about it. :blinky:

#3 User is offline   Talashar 

• oglahneth (ancient one)
  • KI number:00183867

Posted 19 March 2010 - 05:55 AM

It's not all that bad in my opinion. The Ages look good for the most part and the puzzles have an interesting concept behind them. The major problem with it is that it was rushed and made use of Ages that were designed for Uru, and so the story feels like it was slapped on the environments at the last minute, rather than being inseparable from them as in Myst or Riven.

#4 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 19 March 2010 - 09:08 AM

View PostTalashar, on Mar 19 2010, 04:55 AM, said:

It's not all that bad in my opinion. The Ages look good for the most part and the puzzles have an interesting concept behind them. The major problem with it is that it was rushed and made use of Ages that were designed for Uru, and so the story feels like it was slapped on the environments at the last minute, rather than being inseparable from them as in Myst or Riven.

This.

Outside of the "how good a Myst game is it" reasons, there are these:
- End of Ages is a good very Myst-ish game if you compare it to the rest of the market (not just Myst games).
- There's lots of references, fandom jokes, raw information that you'll gain from playing it. :blinky:

End of Ages is perhaps the closest game in tone and puzzle/Age/story connections to Myst itself, but with a sort of Uru flavor to the environments.

The ideas behind almost everything are very ingenious, but sort of rushed. As Lostthyme says, "sloppy" - but not in the sense that the creators didn't care or were lazy - you can tell they put a lot of thought into everything, but just not enough time.
- The characters have a deep and interesting story that seems to originally have been intended for Uru Live in some form. Due to the transition, there are some obvious high and low points in the monologues and story of the characters (especially Esher). There's a really good story there, but you might have to get past some less good parts to enjoy it all (also, Esher's appearances and Yeesha's journals seem compressed - they pop up a lot for the time given [maybe it's just due to a lack of really long journals (because it was originally for an Uru Live expansion, and thus long times spent in one place would break up multiplayer flow?)?] as if they were intended to be revealed over a much greater area).
- The environments are solid Cyan Worlds... worlds. The realtime 3D look will take awhile to get used to, and it might (because of the graphics) not have as many places where you just sit and stare at a scene for hours, but it works - they know how to use it. You'll have a variety of navigation options depending on how you like to explore the area (either in ways much like that in Myst/Riven or Exile/Revelation, but with movement animations as you go from node to node, or methods more like Uru and all).
- The storyline is based closer to Uru than to the original Myst series (although it connects the two a little more).
- The puzzles are Myst style easy, although some spots will involve lots of ??? (or I just hate Todelmer*). A bit too much hangs on one mechanism (the Slate interface), in my opinion - again as if the original plans would have been much larger. The integration of puzzles is somewhat like Myst, and somewhat like Uru (Myst where the puzzles are perhaps the least connected to the environments and all, and Uru where they are most connected, even to the point of being invisible), but nothing that is just game breakingly tedious or out of place.

*The puzzles only, I mean. The Age itself is gorgeous.

#5 User is offline   DinoThrasher 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • KI number:00804795

Posted 19 March 2010 - 06:52 PM

Personally I think the issue with Myst V is that it was way too much at one point. Animated characters, an almost "spin-off" like story, real-time, Bahro... I think this because URU actually does a lot of the similar things but doesn't feel quite as off.

A lot more polish would definitely help this game out.

And for the puzzles: I found this to be the hardest of the games, especially Todelmer. It's easily one of the most amazing looking ages I've ever seen and I love the giant blue Saturn in the distance, unfortunately none of the puzzles are really very coherent and it will be more guess and check than actual puzzle solving there. Other puzzles might come across as just way too easy. I also felt the tablet use wasn't very well explained at the beginning. Took me forever to get out of the cave in the first age since I didn't realize how to use the tablets.

#6 User is offline   Menelmacar 

• telahm (guildsman)
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:02751833

Posted 19 March 2010 - 09:59 PM

I honestly didn't really have that many complaints about the game, it's just the ones I did have were really big ones.

- Esher.
- The puzzles tended to be tricky for the wrong reasons. Ideally, it should be difficult to unravel how it works but easy to actually solve once you understand it; my experience was generally the exact opposite, where the first half (
Click to reveal hidden content
"find symbol to draw on slate"
) was generally straightforward, but the second half (
"draw symbol on slate"
) was ridiculous. This resulted in a general sense of relief after each solution, rather than a Eureka moment.
-- This was particularly annoying because
I usually like puzzles revolving around "here's an object with unusual properties, use it to do this which doesn't actually seem to involve those properties at all". Making me irritated with this is difficult, but turning it into a series of fetch quests worked marvelously.

- Who's monologuing at m- oh, Esher's back.
- I remember thinking the first Age in the game - the frozen one - seemed absurdly linear... though Todelmer and Laki'ahn did a lot better with this.
- The cobbled-together look of the Keep and whatnot really bugs me. There's a semi-primitivist look there that I suppose is just an extension of certain aesthetic choices in Uru, but taken to an extreme that feels completely at odds with much of what I enjoyed about the rest of the series.
- Finally, I don't think you should be able to
win almost accidentally, simply because you're so annoyed with the two people who were ostensibly trying to help you that you don't feel like helping either of them back!

N

#7 User is offline   Narayani Girl 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 20 March 2010 - 01:36 PM

I think I need to play it.
If for no better reason than to find out what the deal is with Esher. :D

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users