MYSTcommunity: It's possible - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

It's possible Sirrus and Tesla

#1 User is offline   Narayani Girl 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:11 PM

It took me forever to figure out the whole crystal bomb thing in Spire. I never did find out on my own exactly how the linking chambers were destroyed, what cause the explosion in Tomahna, etc. I thought Sirrus had some big crystals that made a loud noise or something. I didn't know how he could have escaped from Achenar when they were fighting, which for a long time kept me convinced Achenar had to be the bad one. Finally I find you all at Mystcommunity, read a few threads about revelation, Sirrus, and so forth, and the light broke through. Thank you.

At the same time I was reading about Sirrus and electrically charged crystals that emitted a high frequency when grounded, I was also reading about Nilkola Tesla, and hand held oscillators that would bring down steel framed buildings when set to the right frequency. And I thought, what in Space, it's real. Those stupid crystal bomb things weren't as stupid as I thought. In principle it actually exists.

Is that cool or what?

(Of course, I have held for a long time that the whole practice of writing ages is the same things as writing computer code. And when I learned to "Comment out" code in CSS I could only think of the negative symbols in D'Ni...)

#2 User is offline   Mike44njdevils 

• choortahn (learner)
  • KI number:04781115

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:39 AM

View PostNarayani Girl, on Mar 19 2010, 09:11 PM, said:

In principle it actually exists.

Is that cool or what?

I think the Mythbusters did a show on this very phenomenon, and at first they thought the "myth" was busted, but after some intense experiments (I think the one on the bridge was especially eye opening) they raised it to a definite plausible. So yeah, VERY cool indeed.

#3 User is offline   uberlutra 

• lontahn (discoverer)
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:00429457

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:28 PM

That's beyond cool! That's absolutely brilliant! I never knew that, and I've spent way too much time wandering around Spire (though I was probably too busy trying to get into Sirrus' brain that I didn't think about his science...which is such a large part of it! Oh, man, dude, you rock!) and never made that connection. It's awesome! I have to go do research on Tesla now.

#4 User is offline   Allatwan 

• Prime Minister of the Black Moiety
  • KI number:01199433

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:23 AM

:pout: Beyond cool... but I'm not THAT surprised :D

#5 User is offline   Menelmacar 

• telahm (guildsman)
  • KI number:02751833

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:58 PM

...This, uh... This isn't common knowledge? :D

N

#6 User is offline   Allatwan 

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:28 PM

@ Menelmacar: My thoughts exactly XD

#7 User is offline   Narayani Girl 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:30 PM

You knew???

I sure didn't. I mean, how many people play Myst and study electrical engineering?

#8 User is offline   Allatwan 

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:34 PM

I'm what the French call an "L" student, meaning I ONLY study languages, history, philosophy and literature and don't do science or math in High School anymore, but I guessed it seemed really plausible, especially considering stuff I thought similar which I had seen on TV. So, yeah, I don't know about Menelmacar, but I sure don't study electrical engeenering! XD

#9 User is offline   luna 

• meh
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:141809

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:36 PM

I knew that was possible, probably because of school since I choose a science direction, or mythbusters, I don't study electrical engineering either :D

#10 User is offline   aander91 

• Forum game like its 2008
  • KI number:00087015

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:42 PM

View PostNarayani Girl, on Mar 25 2010, 08:30 AM, said:

You knew???

I sure didn't. I mean, how many people play Myst and study electrical engineering?

You'll have to excuse Menelmacar, he's our resident Mechanical Genius and whatnot.

From a musical standpoint though, everything vibrates at a certain frequency (strum one guitar string and they all vibrate to create the pitch), so I suppose if you could get whatever material the bridge was made out of to resonate, you could certainly do some damage. Although I could be missing the principle behind it entirely,

#11 User is offline   300happy 

• some creep who still lurks
  • KI number:00060309

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:30 PM

View Postaander91, on Mar 25 2010, 04:42 PM, said:

View PostNarayani Girl, on Mar 25 2010, 08:30 AM, said:

You knew???

You'll have to excuse Menelmacar, he's our resident Mechanical Genius and whatnot.

From a musical standpoint though, everything vibrates at a certain frequency (strum one guitar string and they all vibrate to create the pitch), so I suppose if you could get whatever material the bridge was made out of to resonate, you could certainly do some damage. Although I could be missing the principle behind it entirely,

No that's pretty much it. Resonate a frequency, anything within reasonable distance made of that stuff will collapse. I do believe there was something where the density or materials required different amounts of time, but that might be countered by putting more energy into the noise blast. Of course, I'm also pretty sure air itself can't support infinite energy boosts in the sound traveling through it...but it's probably enough. I don't know any of the maths/science behind it, just the theories. I remember watching a documentation where they used sound to do some demolition. (the building was the only one made of that older mix on the block, and needed to just be totally torn down without harming the other buildings, so they pulsed the inner walls of the structure with frequencies.)

Kinda scary when you think about how many people have access to sound equipment like amplifiers, and how most of our buildings/bunkers/ect are made out of either 1 or 2 main materials... :D But yeah, Myst 4 sound bombs are definetly possible in Real Life.

Now how Sirrus knew what frequencies to use on Tomahana is another matter entirely, but presumably Atrus probably built the Tomanhana walkways out of the same stuff the cages were built/written with. He does seem to be a lazy sort with that, I mean, how many black steel walkways and cable bridges/cars does he think the ages need? He must have some formula lying around for those contraptions. Those and steam powered stuff, of course. :pout:

#12 User is offline   Menelmacar 

• telahm (guildsman)
  • KI number:02751833

Posted 26 March 2010 - 06:12 PM

Silly me thinking Tesla had permeated popular culture by now... :D Sorry.

Just about everything important has been mentioned already, so I'll just toss in a couple extra things that may or may not be interesting.

(1) Frequency weapons become vastly more complicated the more chemically diverse the substance is - Tesla's idea that it could have been a literal earthquake machine, for instance, wouldn't have worked because the Earth isn't a single solid mass, and the same wave travels through different materials at different speeds and refracts in different directions, making it insanely complicated to harmonize the waves with the generator. Similar problems apply to human tissue, which is also flexible and absorbs the waves very easily without breaking.

(2) There are some slight differences between the crystal bombs, Tesla's machine, and what 300happy started wandering into a bit.
- Tesla's machine utilized mechanical waves, taking the substance it was in contact with and wobbling it back and forth on an atomic level at the right frequency until the bonds break.
- The crystal bombs seemed to do the same thing, but by using electromagnetic resonance - acting on the electrons in the bonds instead of the atoms themselves, which is why the explosions occurred instantaneously instead of having to remain in contact for a while.
- Ranged weapons that transmit waves through the air would use mechanical vibrations, like Tesla's machine, but with an additional level of complexity because the frequency will shift as the wave passes from the air into the substance you're trying to destroy. Plus you have to use an elliptical dish to focus the waves the correct distance away, or else you'll waste energy and probably blow up your own equipment to boot.

Also of note, there is a book at my local public library that contains detailed blueprints and instructions for building Tesla's earthquake machine. :pout:

N

#13 User is offline   Narayani Girl 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:10 AM

I give up. I've never met anyone before who had acquired that much random knowledge, let alone half a dozen at one blow. Here I thought I had discovered something new. :D

Anyway, that's all very interesting. I knew there was some difference between various devices but I haven't studied long enough to know what exactly. So I've learned something today. :pout:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users