MYSTcommunity: Richard Vander Wende podcast interview - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Richard Vander Wende podcast interview Talks about his whole career, including at Cyan

#1 User is offline   tbr 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:01 AM

Just came across this great audio interview with Riven designer Richard Vander Wende, recorded shy of a year ago. It's on stage as a part of some kind of exhibition opening. They keep referring to various slides that unfortunately don't translate too well into the audio recording...

Wende talks about his long career involving some very early computer games, his work at ILM with George Lucas and others, his work at Disney, and of course his work with Riven at Cyan. A lot of great stuff that I didn't know about him. I had now idea just how important he was in the design of Aladdin - in this interview, he says that he essentially was the person at Disney who started that whole project off - they had this idea that they maybe wanted to make a movie based on the Aladdin story, and asked Vander Wende to spend a few months creating designs. Based on his designs, they eventually decided to go ahead and make a movie, which for a while was the top grossing animated movie ever. That's just incredibly cool.

Also includes an interesting anecdote about Wende meeting Michael Jackson. Interesting enough, the interview was conducted just two weeks before Jackson's death.

The Cyan related stuff starts at around minute 40.

http://podcast.northwestmuseum.org/2009/06...n-and-film.aspx

#2 User is offline   Yali 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • Location:The home of poutine, Jack Frost, and Myst IV Revelation

Posted 16 October 2015 - 11:40 AM

Has anyone saved it? I'd like to re-hear it.

#3 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 16 October 2015 - 12:37 PM

Webpage seems to have gone...

#4 User is offline   Fadookie 

• rov nee (new person)
  • Group: Member

Posted 06 May 2017 - 10:43 PM

Hey y'all,
I stumbled across this as well and managed to locate a copy in the internet archive. I also fixed the link on his wikipedia page to point there.

It's a fascinating interview, I'd highly recommend giving it a listen. Of course, the slides are missing, but you can find a lot of the material he was discussing on his website and YouTube.

Interviews with him seem to be few and far between. Let's make sure we don't lose this. :)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users