MYSTcommunity: Book "Jackets" - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Book "Jackets"

#1 User is offline   Almaron 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:42 AM

While recently playing Myst 4, I noticed that the rather odd covers that the Linking Books have were not part of the cover, they were separate things. Look closely at Haven's Linking Book to Tomahna. It appears to be covered with a set of metal shapes that line the book edges, leave the spine uncovered, and contain a unique circle in the middle of the cover. Two different circles can be seen in the game; one each for Tomahna and Serenia. Presumably, it's a sort of protective jacket, and also a fancy way to identify the age.

Any theories anybody has on this, like why Atrus suddenly added these to (presumably) all his books (Spire and Haven don't have them, as far as we know, but since they are sort of glued in place, they probably weren't needed)?

(I know, it's a short post. But I thought this was something new and sort of interesting.)

#2 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:17 AM

View PostAlmaron, on Jun 15 2010, 01:42 AM, said:

While recently playing Myst 4, I noticed that the rather odd covers that the Linking Books have were not part of the cover, they were separate things. Look closely at Haven's Linking Book to Tomahna. It appears to be covered with a set of metal shapes that line the book edges, leave the spine uncovered, and contain a unique circle in the middle of the cover. Two different circles can be seen in the game; one each for Tomahna and Serenia. Presumably, it's a sort of protective jacket, and also a fancy way to identify the age.

Any theories anybody has on this, like why Atrus suddenly added these to (presumably) all his books (Spire and Haven don't have them, as far as we know, but since they are sort of glued in place, they probably weren't needed)?

(I know, it's a short post. But I thought this was something new and sort of interesting.)

If it's a protective jacket, it might be due to previous experience with books getting burnt (Myst, and the fire in Exile), stolen (Exile), and otherwise endangered.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users