MYSTcommunity: PORTAL2 - MYSTcommunity

• 2 Pages +

PORTAL2 PORTAL2

#26 User is offline   aander91 

• Forum game like its 2008
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:00087015

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:08 PM

Now why don't you just take a nice lil lady break and I'll handle it from here.

#27 User is offline   Paul_V 

• rov nee (new person)
  • Group: Member
  • KI number:09948522

Posted 29 April 2011 - 04:47 PM

Downloaded the demo of Portal on Monday and quickly played through it. After three and a half years finally got to see what all the fuss is about. :blurp: Very fun. I've purchased the game and will download it tonight. Can't wait to begin playing it again!

#28 User is offline   Kaelri 

• Red Leader
  • Group: Moderator
  • KI number:49612

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:55 AM

I just finished. I didn't mean to blow through it in 3 days, but I guess that's what happens when games are awesome.

It was right at the end that I realized why I love Portal so much: it's exactly what it would be like if Pixar made video games. The same sense of humor, the ability to weave a strong narrative with simple elements, and the genius of making a deadly sentry turret the most adorable thing in the world.

Stephen Merchant was a brilliant casting choice for Wheatley. I don't think there are a lot of voice actors who could have kept up with Ellen McLain's GLaDOS, but I could listen to both of them talk for hours.

There was really never a dull moment. I never got seriously stuck on any of the puzzles (rare for me), and I'm glad that it was longer than the first game without being an arduous slog like some of these Bioware RPGs. I played on a borrowed copy, so sadly I can't try the co-op until I get my own, which I'll probably wait for the price to drop a bit before I do. But this is definitely one I'll be purchasing, and I haven't bought a game since Braid. Highly recommended. Just a real gem. There is still magic in gaming.

#29 User is offline   aander91 

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:14 AM

It'll be about 30 bucks in a week I think.

#30 User is offline   Kaelri 

• Red Leader

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:40 AM

That makes me very happy.

#31 User is offline   Paul_V 

• rov nee (new person)
  • Group: Member
  • KI number:09948522

Posted 04 May 2011 - 05:56 PM

I completed the original Portal a few days ago.

:blink:

I...think I need to play it again. I didn't completely understand the ending. But it was fun! It was like Alpha Team, Monster's Inc., and 2001: A Space Odyssey all mixed in a blender.
Oh, and even though I was expecting it, GLaDOS still disturbed me. :arianna:

I think I'll wait a couple years to play Portal 2. By then I'll be sufficiently prepared to take on the new game and it will also be affordable. And maybe I'll be able to avoid spoilers this time around. Yeah right :blurp:

#32 User is offline   Tweek 

• telahm (guildsman)
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:38864

Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:33 AM

Amazon.com has Portal 2 for a more reasonable price of $30 (for the PC anyway).

#33 User is offline   Kaelri 

• Red Leader

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:10 PM

Found a very gratifying article yesterday about the writing in Portal 2 (and video games in general). Excerpt:

Not everyone is enamored of all this talking. In a 2007 interview with the gaming site Rock Paper Shotgun, Wolpaw himself compared game writing to being "the guy who talks between the nude girls at strip clubs." As the Portal scribe put it then, a game writer "tries to do a good job and be entertaining and enthusiastic, but everybody's just there for the nakedness. … Nobody cares about what that guy does, and anybody who does care is probably a little maladjusted." There are certainly some gamers who feel that way. Mitch Krpata, a sometime Game Clubber at Slate, wrote of Portal 2, "Sometimes I found myself wishing the voiceover of the moment would just shut up so we could get on with things."

But surely dialogue and voice acting have been granted full citizenship in games country in the year 2011. Haven't they? Aren't they the equal of, say, beautiful animation—an element that has equally little to do with gameplay but is nonetheless accorded great respect by players and critics? Sometimes I think we are asking too much of game designers (and writers) when we demand that they express themselves solely through gameplay and interactivity. Novels are not solely experiments in how to use text—at least, the best ones are not. Nor are the best movies always the ones with the most virtuosic camera work. (Or, as Wolpaw said in his Eurogamer interview: "People seem to be skipping straight to the pure art, and yet nobody's made the Caddyshack in games yet, right? So I'm like, woah woah woah, let's put on the brakes—let's make Caddyshack, and then we can make Anna Karenina or whatever.")

#34 User is offline   aander91 

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:49 PM

^^^More to video games than the gameplay.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users