MYSTcommunity: Adventure in the Valley of the Unknown - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Adventure in the Valley of the Unknown It's coming back!

#1 User is offline   Zenoc2 

• lontahn (discoverer)
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:01951307

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:25 PM

Some of you may remember this topic, from the first time we discussed the "Adventure" at COSI, located in Columbus, Ohio. Well, guess what? COSI is bringing Adventure back. :P

For those who don't know, (and don't want to read the old topic- slackers :tomato: ) COSI, the Center of Science and Industry, is a museum in Columbus, Ohio. The exhibit, whose full name is "Adventure in the Valley of the Unknown", was extremely popular for the first few years in the new building, but was soon shut down and only opened to guests with reservations, on account of financial difficulties. A real bummer that was, too; Adventure is more than just an exhibit- it's a live, interactive adventure game, complete with puzzles, history and mythology all its own.

Now, as L'lala (another member here whose name is also that of one of the "Spirits" of Adventure) has brought to my attention, COSI is bringing back Adventure! Now, instead of having to reserve a spot ahead of time, Adventure will be a full-fledged exhibit with a minimal entrance fee. Here are some pictures of the inside of the exhibit, just to give you an idea of what it looks like (strangely enough, most of the pictures are taken in a way that reminds one of the first-person perspective of Myst).

Future Mysterium stop, anyone? :eyebrow:

#2 User is offline   Lostthyme 

• Quab Wrangler
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:00280695

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:04 PM

I want to go. :eyebrow:

#3 User is offline   aander91 

• Forum game like its 2008
  • KI number:00087015

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:13 AM

I should go to this. Columbus is like an hour away.

#4 User is offline   300happy 

• some creep who still lurks
  • KI number:00060309

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:50 PM

Not only does it look exciting, it's opening the day before my birthday! :eyebrow:

Do they have a website with a quick summary of the exhibit so I can spam my parents with it ask them if we can take a future vacation there? It looks like something we would have lots of fun with!

One other question, seeing as I'm in Indiana, and it's in Ohio, how many days would a normal, puzzle loving family of 8 take to solve it? I don't want to go there for just one day only to find that we didn't see everything it has to offer. We have a travel trailer, so it might be fun to camp out there several days if needed. (plus, last I checked, Ohio has other things we could see if we somehow end up with extra days.)

I'd love to go to a mysterium too, but I have a feeling this exhibit would be more fun with family then with random new people I haven't met in person from MC.

#5 User is offline   Zenoc2 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:57 PM

View Post300happy, on Jul 15 2010, 03:50 PM, said:

Not only does it look exciting, it's opening the day before my birthday! :eyebrow:

Do they have a website with a quick summary of the exhibit so I can spam my parents with it ask them if we can take a future vacation there? It looks like something we would have lots of fun with!

One other question, seeing as I'm in Indiana, and it's in Ohio, how many days would a normal, puzzle loving family of 8 take to solve it? I don't want to go there for just one day only to find that we didn't see everything it has to offer. We have a travel trailer, so it might be fun to camp out there several days if needed. (plus, last I checked, Ohio has other things we could see if we somehow end up with extra days.)

I'd love to go to a mysterium too, but I have a feeling this exhibit would be more fun with family then with random new people I haven't met in person from MC.

I looked at COSI's website recently, and while they've announced it to the papers, they've yet to update their website with any info about the soon-to-be reopened exhibit- right now, if you manage to find it at all, it's listed as a family/group activity requiring a reservation. Hopefully they'll update that soon.

The exhibit itself is actually rather small compared to an adventure game like Myst- the main adventure of the exhibit, (sometimes called "Level 1" by the people who discover the additional puzzles) takes less than an hour if you know what you're doing. The additional "levels" involve figuring out the written script painted all over the walls of the temples and caves. If I remember right, there are two written languages to decipher in the exhibit (Levels 2 and 3), the second language being much more challenging. That part could take you a couple of visits. I believe that L'lala (the MC member) has completed all of the levels of the exhibit, so you could ask her for more details.

And I agree with the last statement; as a Mysterium stop, it would be more fun for the concept of the Valley of the Unknown than the actual puzzles (sort of like Cosmic Osmo and the Manhole).

#6 User is offline   Topher Bear 

• shokhootahn (instructor)
  • KI number:06868707

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:51 AM

WOW! That looks so great! My daughter would love it, and me of course!
Wish there was something like that in the uk!

#7 User is offline   Andrewnuva199 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Member
  • KI number:00209849

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:48 PM

I remember that place... barely. I'm guessing I was around 6-8 years old then. And I wondered what had happened to that exibiet inrecent times. Glad to know it's returning! And from the way you described it, sounds like a nice way to keep my Myst skills sharp! :eyebrow:

And OH HECK YES to a Mysterium stop here. I'm still in high school, I have no budget for a plane trip to any other state! (if I did, I'd wait for the next Spokane stop)

#8 User is offline   L'lala 

• rov nee (new person)
  • Group: Member

Posted 08 August 2010 - 04:50 PM

Yay! New thread! I was just at Adventure today :eyebrow: I can answer questions if anyone has them. Adventure currently has two levels (both have three parts that get increasingly difficult.) Today, we ran into somebody planning the third! They want to put in new animatronics and languages, which is incredibly exciting. They're starting to publicize the second level more, which is worth MANY hours of decoding/puzzling, but the first level can be solved easily in a half-hour, give or take. There's a fantastic backstory, with lots of legends and recovered writings (all encoded, of course) that even explore rifts in the space-time continuum. It's nerdy paradise :tomato:

#9 User is offline   Mystress 

• "Crazy" is a relative term...
  • KI number:01792588

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:14 PM

... >.>

<.<

Is the Valley of the Unknown the place where these little guys like to live? :P

But seriously, that looks *awesome*. I wanna go visit!

#10 User is offline   Zenoc2 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:21 PM

View PostMystress, on Aug 9 2010, 05:14 PM, said:

... >.>

<.<

Is the Valley of the Unknown the place where these little guys like to live? :D

But seriously, that looks *awesome*. I wanna go visit!

Bet you a hundred of what ever currency the residents of the Valley used that my sister is going to make exactly the same post she did last time. :P

Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome the Spirit of Inspiration, L'lala! :D A third level with new animatronics? You're serious? :P Was it one of the explorer "guides" saying this?

EDIT: Here, have a link to an Uru-style preview page. :sepdet:

#11 User is offline   300happy 

• some creep who still lurks
  • KI number:00060309

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:56 PM

(long bump is long but whatever.)

I went today, just got back from the long trip home.

IT WAS AMAZING!!!

We did Level 1 and managed to solve the first major puzzle in Level 2(I can't say much more, or it would ruin the surprise and puzzle). We know most of one language, but couldn't get to translating the second language. It was really amazing, and we're planning on going again, possibly for my birthday present later this year, to attempt solving Level 2.

By the end of the day, I think me, my brother, and my sister could read the language by just looking at the tablets themselves. Mom, Dad, and the rest of the family were kinda freaked at that(shortly after it became obveous we were just going to sit there and translate stuff for about an hour or so, Mom and Dad took the younger ones on a tour of the rest of the museum) It was great, cause we 3 would go up to a plaque and be reading it over, silently, and all suddenly go "Ah ha!", and then realize that we need to write it all down in english for the rest of our group to know where we were going next. :chairfall:

Got a bunch of hi res clue pictures to sort through and attempt solving the second language from in the meantime...but we're definetly going back with fresh minds sometime in the future. For now, like a good myst game, we will have to sit back and just let all the clues tumble in our minds. Followed by probably much kicking of ourselves for missing obveous connections of stuff in Level 2 part 2.

For anyone who hasn't gone yet, go! Get in early, and bring a pencil or two(mechanical works best) and some paper(or a mid sized notebook). Bring your friends too, it's much more fun to do with a small team of thinkers, plus you get to laugh at their demise when you run into the few puzzles that only allow one person to enter. From Mystlike puzzles to a classic D&D party split with possible death(ok, more like coming back humiliated as you lost the puzzle again), it's good times for all! :cheesy:

#12 User is offline   Zenoc2 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:07 PM

Hey! Glad to hear that you were able to go! Like you said, it really is worth seeing.

I've been back once since my last post in this thread, but since my family was eager to move on to other exhibits, I didn't get to start on level 2. One of these days, though. :)

Actually, that brings another issue to mind: when COSI first announced the re-opening, they said that it was for a limited time. However, since it's become so popular again that people are willing to pay the extra admission price, I don't know if it's closing or staying open. It's part of the building, so it's not like it's going anywhere.

To anyone else considering making a visit, I have another item to add to 300happy's list: if you're going to do level 2, bring a flashlight. It's purposefully kept dark in the exhibit (probably because "The Valley of the Unknown" is perpetually in the shadow of a volcano, if I remember correctly), and you might not be able to see all of the details you need to unless you have one. Also, do check out the other exhibits. There's a lot of cool stuff to see at COSI.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users