MYSTcommunity: Any good, free word processors out there? - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Any good, free word processors out there? My ASUS netbook doesn't have microsoft word...

#1 User is offline   Allatwan 

• Prime Minister of the Black Moiety
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:01199433

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:03 AM

Hey! I have issues with the netbook I got for my birthday! :eyebrow: It's an ASUS "EeePC" and its microsoft trial expired. I tried to buy a liecence somewhere but apparently, one can only buy those online (at least where I live). The problem is that my parents are totally against buying stuff online, even on totally safe sites like microsoft's. Which means I now need to find something good and free real quick because that's the netbook I'll be using to work in University on a daily basis! I don't think anything is compatible with works out there, but if anyone here knows about something similar, could they please let me know? So far, I just downloaded Abiword and Jarte but haven't installed it on my computer yet... Are there any good word processors that are easy, free and legal to download?
Thanks a ton for the help!

#2 User is offline   luna 

• meh
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:141809

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:33 AM

Openoffice. Google docs is also quite good but that is an online service. Open office is also quite similar too word but then free . www.openoffice.org I think

Edit : Kaelri says it a lot better :eyebrow: ( sometimes I wonder whether the browser on my ipod is really that useful)

#3 User is offline   Kaelri 

• Red Leader
  • Group: Moderator
  • KI number:49612

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:13 AM

If you're looking for a Microsoft Word replacement, you're looking for OpenOffice. It looks and works almost exactly the same, has all the features and abilities that a University student is likely to use, and it can open and save standard Word documents (along with a host of other formats). I've been using it for about 7 years, and while it has its downsides - it's slow and a bit of a memory hog - it's still better than anything else I've tried, and I've tried a lot.

That said: if your Word needs are really minimal, and you have reliable Internet access, you might find Google Documents more to your liking. Definitely faster, easier and more portable than OO. (I have a bit of an old-school attitude about web-based services; I like having my stuff on my own hard drive, and a temperamental router has made me paranoid about losing my connection. But I know a lot of people who use web apps like Docs exclusively. And they've come a long way in the last few years. So it's a matter of preference, I guess.)

#4 User is offline   Lostthyme 

• Quab Wrangler
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:00280695

Posted 31 July 2010 - 12:55 PM

OpenOffice is what my school uses on its computers, if you needed another vote for it. :eyebrow:

#5 User is offline   Allatwan 

• Prime Minister of the Black Moiety
  • KI number:01199433

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:28 AM

Thank you SO MUCH guys! :eyebrow:

#6 User is offline   Mystress 

• "Crazy" is a relative term...
  • KI number:01792588

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:11 PM

I've used OpenOffice before, and while I don't find it all that impressive, it's a very good free tool and beats the heck out of notepad. :P If I couldn't use Word, I'd use OpenOffice.

#7 User is offline   ArchitectofAges 

• rov nee (new person)
  • Group: Member

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:45 PM

If you wanted your 1337 points for the week, you might teach yourself LaTeX or HTML. There's also Abiword, and Microsoft's Wordpad would be fine in a pinch.

I just wanted to mention these for the sake of completeness. As everyone else has said, OpenOffice.org is the free Word, and Google Docs is the free online Word. However, if all you're doing is document formatting, they're a titch slow for me.

-Josh

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users