MYSTcommunity: Riven from GoG problem - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Riven from GoG problem On Windows 7 Home Premium.

#1 User is offline   IMForeman 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Member

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:39 PM

I got the version of Riven from GoG, and I'm having a few issues.

1.) Turning off 640x480 mode doesn't actually give me any scaling. All it does is allow the adapter to maintain its normal resolution instead of switching to 640 mode, but the graphics remain steadfastly 640x480, a tiny little window in the middle of the screen. Is there any way to get the images and movies to scale to fit the screen?

2.) After a few minutes play, it crashes, just locks up.

I have it set to Windows XP compatibility mode.

#2 User is offline   Mystress 

• "Crazy" is a relative term...
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:01792588

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:24 PM

Ah yes, many problems seem to occur with the Riven ROM from GoG. I believe the Riven from GoG is the CD-ROM version of the Riven ROM, which newer computers (Vista, Win7) can't run - it's just too old. I *have* managed to make the tenth anniversary DVD-ROM of Riven run on my Win7 laptop, so there's a possibility. Myst Masterpiece 10th Anniversary runs, too! It's very common for the DVD-ROM of Riven to freeze up, however, like it did for me when I LPed it a bit ago, so save often. The freezing should resolve itself after you have some finished, saved games under your belt.

Is it stalling during movies? It could be that you're just missing a Quicktime file that the game doesn't install to Win7/Vista, there's a thread somewhere in here that'll give you the link to a download of it... Another possibility is that you're using the wrong version of Quicktime - too new of a version, I mean. You might need to install the older version from an actual Myst Masterpiece or Riven DVD-ROM disc.

If anyone else has any possibilities...?

#3 User is offline   IMForeman 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:19 AM

View PostMystress, on Aug 17 2010, 11:24 PM, said:

Ah yes, many problems seem to occur with the Riven ROM from GoG. I believe the Riven from GoG is the CD-ROM version of the Riven ROM, which newer computers (Vista, Win7) can't run - it's just too old. I *have* managed to make the tenth anniversary DVD-ROM of Riven run on my Win7 laptop, so there's a possibility. Myst Masterpiece 10th Anniversary runs, too! It's very common for the DVD-ROM of Riven to freeze up, however, like it did for me when I LPed it a bit ago, so save often. The freezing should resolve itself after you have some finished, saved games under your belt.

Is it stalling during movies? It could be that you're just missing a Quicktime file that the game doesn't install to Win7/Vista, there's a thread somewhere in here that'll give you the link to a download of it... Another possibility is that you're using the wrong version of Quicktime - too new of a version, I mean. You might need to install the older version from an actual Myst Masterpiece or Riven DVD-ROM disc.

If anyone else has any possibilities...?

No, it seems to freeze pretty much randomly. In the Gateroom when nothing is happening, down the corridor to the tram, in the jungle. No videos playing anywhere. I was thinking of getting the 10th Anniversary edition to see if it works, but I may just wait for the iPhone/iPad version due in the fall.

#4 User is offline   Mystress 

• "Crazy" is a relative term...
  • KI number:01792588

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:12 PM

View PostIMForeman, on Aug 18 2010, 01:19 AM, said:

No, it seems to freeze pretty much randomly. In the Gateroom when nothing is happening, down the corridor to the tram, in the jungle. No videos playing anywhere. I was thinking of getting the 10th Anniversary edition to see if it works, but I may just wait for the iPhone/iPad version due in the fall.

That's the same issue I had - random freezing, and I haven't been able to figure out the cause yet. I tried playing with recording software and without recording software, neither had any impact on lessening the freezing. The best you can really do, I'm afraid, is save and save often. Is the game otherwise playable?

#5 User is offline   Mr_FJ 

• rehlyihmah (the unseen)

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:58 AM

View PostIMForeman, on Aug 16 2010, 04:39 AM, said:

1.) Turning off 640x480 mode doesn't actually give me any scaling. All it does is allow the adapter to maintain its normal resolution instead of switching to 640 mode, but the graphics remain steadfastly 640x480, a tiny little window in the middle of the screen. Is there any way to get the images and movies to scale to fit the screen?

Try setting it to windows 98/me combatibility mode :arianna:

#6 User is offline   aander91 

• Forum game like its 2008
  • KI number:00087015

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:13 PM

For the scaling issue, go to your Graphic Card program (Nvidia control center, etc.) and play around with those. There should be something referring to scaling at lower resolutions in there.

#7 User is offline   chiktionary 

• rehlyihmah (the unseen)

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

View PostMr_FJ, on 24 September 2010 - 11:58 AM, said:

I purchased Riven from GOG - 27 Jan 2013 - playing it on Windows Vista. Initially experienced the save game issue but after trawling through multiple forums managed to get that fixed by:
- Deleting Microsoft Offive Groove from Office 2007
- Reset compatibility from Windows 95 to Windows 98
- Renamed the Riven directory to Riven1 and created a new desktop shortcut.
Now I'm getting the random crashes during gameplay, and usually due to saving throughout the game as I progress I've been able to restart from where I've left off. But sometimes the game is crashing after hitting Ctrl+S which then corrupts the saved file and I have to start the game all over again.
It's so disappointing to see that these issues in Riven have been occurring for gamers for the last few years and still nothing seems to have been done about it.

#8 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:26 AM

View Postchiktionary, on 27 January 2013 - 11:43 PM, said:

View PostMr_FJ, on 24 September 2010 - 11:58 AM, said:

I purchased Riven from GOG - 27 Jan 2013 - playing it on Windows Vista. Initially experienced the save game issue but after trawling through multiple forums managed to get that fixed by:
- Deleting Microsoft Offive Groove from Office 2007
- Reset compatibility from Windows 95 to Windows 98
- Renamed the Riven directory to Riven1 and created a new desktop shortcut.
Now I'm getting the random crashes during gameplay, and usually due to saving throughout the game as I progress I've been able to restart from where I've left off. But sometimes the game is crashing after hitting Ctrl+S which then corrupts the saved file and I have to start the game all over again.
It's so disappointing to see that these issues in Riven have been occurring for gamers for the last few years and still nothing seems to have been done about it.

Most of the above worked for me AND downloading older version of Quicktime - have managed to run it ok on Vista Business Edition without any crashes (XP was always falling over when I tried to save), Riven for the IPad is now available if it is of any help, and very good from all reports.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users