MYSTcommunity: Stoneship - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Stoneship

#1 User is offline   AaronAKAAtrus 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:02961432

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:16 PM

Hey, has everyone else seen the new iPhone game advertised on Cyan's website? It is apparently called stoneship (ha) and looks a little like civilization revolution with a pirate theme.

#2 User is offline   aander91 

• Forum game like its 2008
  • KI number:00087015

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:51 PM

Links?

#3 User is offline   DinoThrasher 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Member
  • KI number:00804795

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:11 PM

Found it. http://www.cyanworlds.com/news/

That advertisement at the top of the screen takes you here:
http://www.cyanworlds.com/iOS_Stoneship/St...OS/Preview.html

While normally I would say that ad is not related to Cyan, the link keeps you on cyanworlds.com and the name Stoneship is suspicious.

#4 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:46 PM

Curious indeed.

I'd be guessing that Stoneship could be simply a working title (since it would be extremely confusing if it was a unrelated setting with the same name, and it would be bizarre indeed if it was in Stoneship, the Age), or even just a name purely for the preview (as a sort of joke). Hmm... you have different scores or points or levels for different materials (a compass - navigation? A sword for some kind of military power? Is the third one a medal?) - then a sword with no number (perhaps one is for your fighting resources, and the one without numbers is to start a combat of some kind?) and a paper (I'm guessing that this is for a regular options menu?). Looks sort of like the map is shown as an old-timey drawn map, until perhaps you sail over it, in which case it's replaced by the "true" idea of what it looks like.

But yeah... I'm extremely curious as to what in the world it is.

Hmm.

#5 User is offline   GermanShepherd 

• shokhootahn (instructor)

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:27 PM

(Erm, Latus forum?)

Stoneship got a mention in an article about the Riven iPhone app on Touch Arcade: http://toucharcade.com/2010/08/19/from-cya...itle-stoneship/ It doesn't really say anything we haven't already seen, but it's still interesting.

Also, is it just me, or does the title seem to be something of a misnomer? Of course, this is based on pure speculation. The article says "it may be some sort of top-down naval combat / tower defense / puzzle game..." When I saw the screenshot, I thought of naval tower defense, too. Assuming that, yeah, Stoneship had ships and people from a mainland, but they weren't hostile. It was Mechanical that had the Black Ships and pirates. I don't know. It was just something that came to mind! Hopefully it's some sort of awesome puzzle game and not yet another tower defense clone.

#6 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:11 PM

View PostGermanShepherd, on Aug 19 2010, 02:27 PM, said:

(Erm, Latus forum?)

Stoneship got a mention in an article about the Riven iPhone app on Touch Arcade: http://toucharcade.com/2010/08/19/from-cya...itle-stoneship/ It doesn't really say anything we haven't already seen, but it's still interesting.

Also, is it just me, or does the title seem to be something of a misnomer? Of course, this is based on pure speculation. The article says "it may be some sort of top-down naval combat / tower defense / puzzle game..." When I saw the screenshot, I thought of naval tower defense, too. Assuming that, yeah, Stoneship had ships and people from a mainland, but they weren't hostile. It was Mechanical that had the Black Ships and pirates. I don't know. It was just something that came to mind! Hopefully it's some sort of awesome puzzle game and not yet another tower defense clone.

I think it's Latus forum just because nobody uses the forum any more (well, for Latus that is, since that seems fairly long gone by now) and it's vaguely the same kind of thing (a Something Else that seems mainly non Myst related and nobody knows much about). :P

Stoneship could have pirates, but yeah, I doubt that it's based at all in the Myst universe (now, on its own "stoneship" is a cool name for a nautically themed game, and as a working title/preview title, it's a nice easy thing to remember). It doesn't look much like a tower defense to me, although I could see some elements of that being possible (perhaps to defend your puzzle or combat and such missions, you can build towers or such? Or the towers are preventing your progress? Or maybe the little range thing is instead something for supply radius or something? Or something entirely different?).

#7 User is offline   DinoThrasher 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:07 PM

This was posted in the URU forum sometime today. I don't have my timezone set up correctly, so I'm not sure exactly when: http://cyanworlds.co...neshipTheme.mp3

Edit: It was posted 5:54pm GMT -5 (Eastern Time).

#8 User is offline   Lostthyme 

• Quab Wrangler
  • KI number:00280695

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:35 PM

That is one nice piratey maritime sounding theme. Yarrr.

#9 User is offline   DinoThrasher 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:09 PM

Agreed, I love music from Cyan games and it looks like this one isn't going to be an exception.

#10 User is offline   AaronAKAAtrus 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • KI number:02961432

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:53 AM

Stoneship!

#11 User is offline   Talashar 

• oglahneth (ancient one)
  • KI number:00183867

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:16 AM

Trailer on Youtube.

#12 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:43 AM

A review, including video of the tutorial, explaining how the game works. :arianna: Looks nice.

#13 User is offline   Lostthyme 

• Quab Wrangler
  • KI number:00280695

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:04 PM

Thanks for sharing it, Gloa! Makes me wish again that I could buy it.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users