MYSTcommunity: Strange Graphical Glitches After Cleaning LCD Screen. - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Strange Graphical Glitches After Cleaning LCD Screen. Not my Laptop, my friend's Netbook.

#1 User is offline   Mystress 

• "Crazy" is a relative term...
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:01792588

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:02 PM

I had a very good friend of mine (I'll call her D for simplicity's sake) contact me over Skype late last night before bed and tell me that her Netbook had started having very strange graphical problems, namely that there was a thin neon green line near one side of her screen. I questioned D about what she was doing before it started acting up, and she replied that she'd been cleaning her computer. A little questioning revealed that she had been cleaning the LCD screen of fingerprints with a plain wet wipe, and the Netbook was on during the cleaning. D claimed her problems began about fifteen minutes later while she was using the device normally. Over the course of the conversation over Skype, she said that her screen began to have two neon green lines on one side, then a green and a pink line, then a bunch of green lines again, and finally it began to flicker. I told her to turn the computer off and leave it that way.

My suspicion is that she somehow damaged her LCD screen with the chemicals in the wet wipe, but she's concerned it could be the graphics drivers going wonky. I highly doubt her claim, since she got the Netbook only last year, on Christmas. There are no other problems with the computer save the graphical problems. Are there any other possibilities I didn't consider? She runs Windows XP SP3 on an Acer Netbook.

#2 User is offline   aander91 

• Forum game like its 2008
  • KI number:00087015

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:34 PM

Acer Netbook

D:

Well, I feel like if the problem was the wipes, then it would have happened immediately and probably wouldn't have progressed. It sounds to me like something was getting fried.

#3 User is offline   Zenoc2 

• lontahn (discoverer)
  • KI number:01951307

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:39 PM

View Postaander91, on Aug 24 2010, 03:34 PM, said:

Acer Netbook

D:

Well, I feel like if the problem was the wipes, then it would have happened immediately and probably wouldn't have progressed. It sounds to me like something was getting fried.

You don't like Acer?

Aander's assessment seems the most likely to me. It could be that some moisture got into the internals of the screen, and caused some damage. Those green and pink lines sound like what are usually referred to as "dead pixels". The fact that it progressed and got worse intrigues me though... Has she turned it on since then? If not, have her wait until tomorrow, then power it up again. If the graphical glitches appear on the boot-up screens, it's probably the LCD panel itself. If it only happens once Windows loads, it may be a bad graphics driver, or possibly a virus or other malware.

EDIT: Did a little research just now. Turns out that there's a difference between "dead" pixels, which are permanently off, and "stuck" pixels, which stay on, but only show one color. Here's the Wikipedia article.

#4 User is offline   aander91 

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:03 PM

Fraid not. I'm going to be honest, I think they are cheap trash. They don't cost much and, well you get what you pay for.

#5 User is offline   Zenoc2 

• lontahn (discoverer)
  • KI number:01951307

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:17 PM

View Postaander91, on Aug 24 2010, 05:03 PM, said:

Fraid not. I'm going to be honest, I think they are cheap trash. They don't cost much and, well you get what you pay for.

Huh. Well, I admit that their desktops aren't exactly up-to-par.

#6 User is offline   aander91 

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:51 PM

Just from looking at it, price, specs, friends who have gone through Acers like milk. :P

#7 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:55 AM

Most likely cause here is going to be the wipes.
the fluid would gradually seep into the little cracks and crevices around the screen.
Bear in mind that from screen to mainboard connector is only a thin printed circuit ribbon so it wouldn't take much liquid to get in and cause this kind of problem (hence the reason why they make screen wipes for laptops and lcd's).

Only hope is that it will dry out over time.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users