MYSTcommunity: Freeware, Payware, and Compatibility - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Freeware, Payware, and Compatibility

#1 User is offline   Shinkansen 

• Friendly Forum Curmudgeon
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:00759215

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:17 PM

Ok, so about two years ago, my old computer was fried in a thunderstorm. I was able to recover one out my two harddrives; the one I lost was all the applications and games that I installed, the other was all my files: homework, photos, music, downloaded files, and so on.
Due to this setup, I lost any installed application I downloaded from the internet, but I was able to keep the install file. One such example is this nifty little programme called Hyperscore, which has since become payware-only.
Because of how insanely unorganized my files are, I couldn't find the install file until recently (it never occurred to me to do a file search :P).

The problem is, Hyperscore won't run. There's no error messages, no popups, the cursor doesn't even change to the 'processing' hourglass-thing, clicking on either the shortcut or the EXE file itself does absolutely nothing. I was thinking that it might be a compatibility issue; my old computer was a 32-bit operating system, the new one is a 64-bit, but if it was a compatibility issue, it wouldn't have installed at all, right?

Is it possible that, when Hyperscore was changed from freeware to payware, that the software company was able to somehow deactivate all the free versions that had been downloaded?

Or is the problem something else entirely? (which is probably more likely)

#2 User is offline   Kaelri 

• Red Leader
  • Group: Moderator
  • KI number:49612

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:42 PM

If the program is authenticating with a server somewhere, I would still expect there to be some kind of message, either telling you that your copy is no longer authorized, or that it can't connect. If it's literally doing nothing, I strongly suspect it's an issue with your system. Make sure it's installed in the right place - if you're on a 64-bit version of Windows, it should install 32-bit apps to "C:\Program Files (x86)". And if you can, test it on a computer with XP. (If you want, you can send it to me and I'll test it on my laptop.)

#3 User is offline   Shinkansen 

• Friendly Forum Curmudgeon
  • KI number:00759215

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:14 AM

View PostKaelri, on Sep 8 2010, 10:42 PM, said:

If the program is authenticating with a server somewhere, I would still expect there to be some kind of message, either telling you that your copy is no longer authorized, or that it can't connect. If it's literally doing nothing, I strongly suspect it's an issue with your system. Make sure it's installed in the right place - if you're on a 64-bit version of Windows, it should install 32-bit apps to "C:\Program Files (x86)". And if you can, test it on a computer with XP. (If you want, you can send it to me and I'll test it on my laptop.)

It's installed in the (x86) directory.

I tried installing on a normal XP computer, first copying with a USB stick and then with a CD. Both times the installer aborted, giving me a "Cannot read or write the following file. Abort, Ignore, or Retry?" message. I can't email because Gmail doesn't allow attachments with .exe files in them, and the alternative account is shared between the 64bit XP and normal XP computer, and it doesn't like it when if you send a message to yourself.

Because of the way the installer aborted and the message saying "Some information may be lost when writing this file to disc" when I tried copying the install file to a CD, I suspect that there may be some copy-protection. I could still try and send you the file, but you'll probably run into the same problem that I did.

#4 User is offline   300happy 

• some creep who still lurks
  • KI number:00060309

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:38 PM

View PostShinkansen, on Sep 9 2010, 11:14 AM, said:

I tried installing on a normal XP computer, first copying with a USB stick and then with a CD. Both times the installer aborted, giving me a "Cannot read or write the following file. Abort, Ignore, or Retry?" message. I can't email because Gmail doesn't allow attachments with .exe files in them, and the alternative account is shared between the 64bit XP and normal XP computer, and it doesn't like it when if you send a message to yourself.

While I can't help with the topic at hand, I can help with sending files through Gmail. Enable seeing the .exe,.txt, ect. part of the files if you haven't, then rename the file extension to something like .txt or .mp3(mp3 might not work anymore, been a while since I tested. Just note yourself in the Gmail what to rename the file, and you can send practically anything. Me and my brother used this work around all the time when our home networking was broken. :arianna:

Of course, it sounds like the install has some sort of metadata attached that makes it run. I'm no tech, but I don't think that metadata will copy if you gmail yourself the file. Though I've never tried either.

EDIT: Gasp, old topic is old and my IE showed it as a new topic. Sorry if I bumped it and the problem was already solved. :rotflol:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users