MYSTcommunity: How would you improve Myst? - MYSTcommunity

• 2 Pages +

How would you improve Myst?

#26 User is offline   Mikemc 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

I'd make it more like Far Cry. Huge islands to explore, natives to befriend and run screaming from, odd wildlife to gawk at but no terrorists. Maybe just make a Myst game that tells the story of Sirrus and Achenar - It could play out however you like and if your actions aren't cannon, then that's just because the other brother is telling your story and keeps making stuff up :p

#27 User is offline   debrotam 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

Okay, so I feel like if I were to make changes, I would say that:

• As an island (exploration area), Myst Island needs to be more expansive (something maybe like J'nanin's size.) It lets the player explore the "home base" age, and allows them to see the different aspects of the area before they explore the other ones. I think possibly more "eye candy" (meaningless little clickpoints, animations, or areas where the player could, say, get a view of the sea, see little places on the island where Atrus might have sat/written/etc. Plus, animals like a squee or two might be interesting) would be beneficial. In the "page" or "lesson" ages, I think that their size could be slightly increased, but their general size as it is seems fine.

By the way, has anybody noticed that Atrus really doesn't have an "office" or even a writing desk on Myst? Of all the times that he has gone to Myst to escape there with Catherine, shouldn't he have had a place to write Tomahna or something? There doesn't even seem to be any sort of bench, or for that matter, and place to sit at ALL on the entire island (except for the chair in the sunken ship).

#28 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

Atrus had a desk. It was removed by his sons. Or maybe it was used as firewood.

;)

#29 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

View Postdebrotam, on 26 February 2013 - 06:41 PM, said:

Okay, so I feel like if I were to make changes, I would say that:

• As an island (exploration area), Myst Island needs to be more expansive (something maybe like J'nanin's size.) It lets the player explore the "home base" age, and allows them to see the different aspects of the area before they explore the other ones. I think possibly more "eye candy" (meaningless little clickpoints, animations, or areas where the player could, say, get a view of the sea, see little places on the island where Atrus might have sat/written/etc. Plus, animals like a squee or two might be interesting) would be beneficial. In the "page" or "lesson" ages, I think that their size could be slightly increased, but their general size as it is seems fine.

I'd think the opposite, actually. Sure, Myst could use a little expansion for various realism and atmospheric needs, but I don't think it would benefit much from being enlarged. It could make it less compact of a hub while adding little to the story. In terms of series backstory it's important (and it would be interesting from a fan perspective to know more of Atrus and Co's day to day life and environment) but it's not that important in the game's story.

The game's story is very much about Sirrus and Achenar - and that comes out in the Ages. Giving the Ages more room (while expanding Myst only slightly) would allow for a lot more varied eye candy that helped illustrate each brother's influences more deeply than one room per Age. Furthermore, Atrus' story is mostly told by the Ages he writes, not where he lives. We see his hand in the backstories of each Age, and the designs within (the fortress in Mechanical, the pumps in Channelwood, etc.) more than in Myst's stuff (which just... is).

• By the way, has anybody noticed that Atrus really doesn't have an "office" or even a writing desk on Myst? Of all the times that he has gone to Myst to escape there with Catherine, shouldn't he have had a place to write Tomahna or something? There doesn't even seem to be any sort of bench, or for that matter, and place to sit at ALL on the entire island (except for the chair in the sunken ship).

He doesn't have a bedroom, kitchen, or bathroom either. I think it's safe to say that it's in with the other practical rooms of Myst Island - buried in some hidden corner. :p

On another note, I'm not sure if this was mentioned before but a particular puzzle baffles me.

If Atrus wanted to keep it secret from his sons, why use a fact about an island they've lived on all their lives?
If he wanted to keep it safe from random explorers, why use something that could be immediately determined just by looking around (while other puzzles, hidden away in back rooms, in journals, etc. - without an explicit mention of exactly what data is needed - are reasonably hidden)?
If he just wanted to make sure she knew the number, why not just write the number?

Wouldn't it be simpler to just have him say you have to turn on all the Marker Switches to get the message (and thus force the player to figure out what a Marker Switch is, to notice that there's a forechamber, and to explore the island some - which may have been the motives for that puzzle)?

#30 User is offline   Shinkansen 

• Friendly Forum Curmudgeon
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:00759215

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

View PostGehn, lord of ages, on 27 February 2013 - 07:11 PM, said:

On another note, I'm not sure if this was mentioned before but a particular puzzle baffles me.

If Atrus wanted to keep it secret from his sons, why use a fact about an island they've lived on all their lives?
If he wanted to keep it safe from random explorers, why use something that could be immediately determined just by looking around (while other puzzles, hidden away in back rooms, in journals, etc. - without an explicit mention of exactly what data is needed - are reasonably hidden)?
If he just wanted to make sure she knew the number, why not just write the number?

Wouldn't it be simpler to just have him say you have to turn on all the Marker Switches to get the message (and thus force the player to figure out what a Marker Switch is, to notice that there's a forechamber, and to explore the island some - which may have been the motives for that puzzle)?

I think the thing with that puzzle was that the whole forechamber/Atrus' message was added fairly late in the game design process. People had trouble figuring out what exactly they were supposed to do, so the forchamber message, as well as Atrus' note to Catherine, to give the players somewhat of an idea of what they needed to do without having a puzzle that was too difficult. Otherwise, people run into a wall pretty quickly and they're stuck on Myst island.

#31 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

The note was crumpled as if thrown away and retrieved from the trash, read, and hastily dropped. Where it was dropped is uncertain: Myst Island is windy and it could have been blown to the lawn where we found it.

Catherine certainly didn’t find it so it must have been Sirrus or Achenar. One of them found it and thought it unimportant enough to leave lying about. Who but they and their parents could ever come to Myst and their parents were trapped with no way back.

So, who crumpled it? Perhaps Atrus wrote it and left it on a desk where Catherine could easily find it. Sirrus found it, read it, laughed, then crumpled it and threw it on the floor. Achenar found the crumpled note, read it, laughed, and tossed it aside where it blew to the lawn where we found it.

The instructions were more explicit than Catherine needed but Atrus wanted to be perfectly clear so she would have no doubt of her course of action.

I would improve Myst by giving clues as to why the note was crumpled and how it got to the grassy lawn.

#32 User is offline   Ellie 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:41 PM

I haven't played RIVEN or any of the other games. I've only played realMYST. I can honestly say that I can only come up with one suggestion to improve the game,because everything else was GREAT(DIFFERENT,but GREAT)!
The suggestion would be to add more animals to a few of the ages(especially on MYST).
I loved the seagulls and butterflies, but maybe seeing more wildlife would add to the beauty of the island.
In the Rime Age, I really liked seeing the mother whale(?) with her baby swimming.
In the Stoneship Age;when you'd go downstairs,you could see the unique sea creatures swimming around and look at the plants.
Well, that would be my only suggestion, as you can tell,I'm an animal lover. :loveya:

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users