MYSTcommunity: Some ideas I've been contemplating... - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Some ideas I've been contemplating... ... Because I've neglected the Mystverse for far too long.

#1 User is offline   Mystress 

• "Crazy" is a relative term...
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:01792588

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:23 PM

Okay, I need some opinions. I have a list of crossovers and weird stuff for the Mystverse I've yet to do, just some stuff I've thought on and really haven't gotten time to do anything with. Just stuff that's been hovering way in the very back of my head for years now. I'd like to know what your opinion on these little idea pitches are, and if you think they would be interesting enough to go through with actually writing them.

- A short, probably dark humorfic involving Sirrus and Achenar's experiences in Atrus' ages. Just general things will follow - some plundering, some taking control, some completely random crap that occurs due to these events - waking up next to a channelwood native random, getting punch drunk at a wild stoneship party, stuff like that. Sort of this weird frat-style humor I've never really tried before, because I haven't done a pure humorfic in a long time and this concept just seems to fit this particular story well. I really don't do enough with the brothers and I really should do more, and I'd obviously need to read up on the Brothers again before doing anything with this.

- A Gehn growing-up story, or the story of how Gehn became Gehn, how Riven came to be, etc. somewhat in the style of how I did Locusani, but third-person and possibly shorter. Something like that. I'm not very used to Gehn as a character because I've written him maybe once in a random humor fic, but I would be willing to learn.

- Myst/Uru Live blended with Lovecraftian horror. Not got a clue how to do this yet, maybe a reenvisioning of the Myst universe with Lovecraftian elements: like, something to do with Nyarlathotep causing D'ni's fall, or the Good!Bahro and Yeesha knowing about this ancient evil beneath/in D'ni that the Bad!Bahro worship or something. I don't know, I need more ideas for this, any good suggestions?

- The Joker as the Stranger. Obviously would be A/U and cause MAJOR shifts to the Myst timeline due to the Joker generally screwing people over and messing up their lives. This fic would probably be quite violent and/or tragic for certain beloved characters at points but would otherwise follow the generic Myst timeline. And it would be Comic!Joker, of course.

I'll add more to the thread as I remember them/come up with them, but I'd at least like to get some opinions on these four. If nobody likes the idea I won't pursue it.

#2 User is offline   Allatwan 

• Prime Minister of the Black Moiety
  • KI number:01199433

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:59 AM

I like the Gehn 'growing up" theme :arianna:

#3 User is offline   Talashar 

• oglahneth (ancient one)
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:00183867

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:02 AM

View PostMystress, on Oct 22 2010, 08:23 PM, said:

- Myst/Uru Live blended with Lovecraftian horror. Not got a clue how to do this yet, maybe a reenvisioning of the Myst universe with Lovecraftian elements: like, something to do with Nyarlathotep causing D'ni's fall, or the Good!Bahro and Yeesha knowing about this ancient evil beneath/in D'ni that the Bad!Bahro worship or something. I don't know, I need more ideas for this, any good suggestions?

I've often thought that the Bahro were very Lovecraftian in themselves, and that this was an opportunity that the official story (for the most part) missed.

#4 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:55 AM

- A Gehn growing-up story, or the story of how Gehn became Gehn, how Riven came to be, etc. somewhat in the style of how I did Locusani, but third-person and possibly shorter. Something like that. I'm not very used to Gehn as a character because I've written him maybe once in a random humor fic, but I would be willing to learn.

We need more Gehn's-past stories. Always.

- The Joker as the Stranger. Obviously would be A/U and cause MAJOR shifts to the Myst timeline due to the Joker generally screwing people over and messing up their lives. This fic would probably be quite violent and/or tragic for certain beloved characters at points but would otherwise follow the generic Myst timeline. And it would be Comic!Joker, of course.

Hehe, I like the idea of Stranger-is-evil-but-things-still-pan-out-the-same, and it's just misinterpretations (or even some revision of Catherine's journals) that make the games portrayed as they are. Instead of being invited over for Exile and Revelation, he invites himself over and generally causes the craziness to ensue - but maybe Atrus and Catherine slightly tolerate him (due to them only seeing the better side, or since it generally actually helps them in the end?).

View PostTalashar, on Oct 23 2010, 07:02 AM, said:

I've often thought that the Bahro were very Lovecraftian in themselves, and that this was an opportunity that the official story (for the most part) missed.

I like that idea. Bahro as an Eldritch Abomination style uncomprehensible monster from the void between Ages. The Tablet and other methods of chaining them down have made them more understandable (or made it more understandable), but while the Ronay/D'ni were making those there was terror as the bahro sometimes where met. Or it could be set in the modern day. With the release of the Tablet, the bahro are free again. Over their long imprisonment, they sort of adapted to a more human understandable form, but they're slowly reverting back with their freedom (although some might want to keep their ability to communicate and fit with humans and D'ni... and some might loathe the D'ni and humans and be trying to manipulate things to that).

#5 User is offline   Mystress 

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:40 PM

"Growing Up Gehn" (as I'm temporarily titling it) will need some research, possibly a re-read of Book of Ti'Ana, and most likely another replaying of Riven while focusing on Gehn's behavior.

Hehe, I like the idea of Stranger-is-evil-but-things-still-pan-out-the-same, and it's just misinterpretations (or even some revision of Catherine's journals) that make the games portrayed as they are. Instead of being invited over for Exile and Revelation, he invites himself over and generally causes the craziness to ensue - but maybe Atrus and Catherine slightly tolerate him (due to them only seeing the better side, or since it generally actually helps them in the end?).

The fic will STRICTLY cover only the first four games, because those are essentially all Atrus' and the Stranger's story; EoA occurs later. It will be a dark Humor/Adventure fic. I see a preliminary sketch of this fic going something like this:

1. Joker somehow finds the book, possibly in the basement of Arkham Asylum while trying to escape from it. He uses said book and finds himself on Myst, where he proceeds to find the most completely insane and out of the box ways to solve the puzzles and riddles, freak Sirrus out, find a soft spot for Achenar and his similar (if one-note, compared to Joker) craziness, and generally screw everyone over. The only reason he brings the white page to Atrus is because he doesn't want to be trapped and really would like to go back to Gotham and screw things up there. Joker does not get back to Gotham in the end and makes to kill Atrus for messing with him, but his gun turns out to be empty. Atrus and Joker negotiate - if Joker does one more favor for him, Atrus will try to find a faster way back to Joker's home age (DC Universe Earth).

2. Joker chills on Myst Island for a while, and gets dreadfully bored. On a whim he decides to take Sirrus' wavy dagger from Channelwood and go kill Atrus with it, however when he arrives there he finds that Atrus is already prepared to ask the favor of him. When Atrus mentions having Joker 'take care' of Gehn, Joker takes it as meaning that he's going to play mercenary. Which is exactly what he does. Anyone on Riven who bothers him is pretty much going to die. Joker finds that fire marbles make suitable ammo for his gun and uses those; he also still has the wavy dagger. Most of the friendly allies will be terrified of him. Catherine will wonder precisely what Atrus sees in Joker as a 'friend', but trust him... enough. Long enough into tricking him into letting her escape with her life and warn the Moiety. Joker kills Gehn with Joker Venom and takes his gun, then links Gehn's body into the trap book so Atrus suspects nothing. Atrus does notice Gehn isn't moving; Joker dismisses this as Gehn sleeping, which Atrus accepts well enough. Atrus links out without Joker, and Joker swears Atrus WILL pay for it. Joker then falls through the star fissure, laughing all the way, of course.

3. Joker makes his way back to Gotham City, and a few years pass. While he doesn't change due to being a comic book character, Atrus and his family does. One night, Harley discovers a package left for Joker and becomes curious, but takes it to Joker anyway. It is a linking book to Tohmahna, with a note from Atrus. When Joker recalls how Atrus allowed him to fall into the fissure alone, he vows revenge and goes after Atrus. Catherine keeps Yeesha away from Joker, and then a tense sequence where Atrus tries to prevent Joker from killing him ensues. Joker decides to set Atrus' house on fire. During this time Saavedro suddenly bursts in and steals Releeshahn. Joker accidentally stumbles in the confusion and winds up falling onto the open panel and linking. He solves the puzzles, taunting Saavy all the while. In Narayan he attempts to taunt Saavedro into further madness. This only makes Saavedro angrier at Joker, and a battle sequence ensues. Joker easily overpowers the malnourished Saavedro, and shoves him behind the shield and closes it. Saavedro pleads for mercy, Joker ignores it and tricks him into giving up the Releeshahn book in exchange for his life. Joker says no but accidentally frees Saavedro anyway by leaning on the outer shield switch, which irritates Joker because he screwed up an otherwise 'perfect crime'. Joker then returns to Tohmahna and sets Releeshan on the floor, leaving a note saying that he's not finished with Atrus' family yet and WILL get his revenge eventually. Joker returns to Gotham and forgets about the linking book for a time.

4. Joker is on a walk in Gotham one night and encounters a little girl. He decides, what the heck, I'm overdue for some 'fun', and takes the girl hostage. The girl turns out to be Yeesha and she says Atrus wants his help with something. Joker sarcastically responds that he can't imagine why Atrus wants him around again. However he decides that tormenting Yeesha in front of Atrus will be a better revenge than just going after Atrus at home, and agrees to follow Yeesha back to Tohmahna. There, he 'helps' Atrus adjust the frequency by setting it to a resonance that will allow the crystal viewer to explode. Atrus leaves and a sequence ensues where Joker becomes quite irritated with Yeesha and continuously tries to off her, but keeps getting distracted by various things around Atrus' house and Yeesha hiding, etc. While looking for Yeesha, he gets caught in the explosion of the bridge and gets knocked out. He only gets involved in the events of Revelation because he sees getting rid of Yeesha as 'his' job. In Serenia he goes along with the spiritual ceremony, but his guide senses the 'evil aura' around Joker and refuses to guard him. Joker goes to Dream anyway; the only thing preventing him from being ripped apart is his own insanity making his mind as chaotic as Dream is. He intimidates the Spirits into giving up the access code. When he sees Sirrus again, Sirrus is so frightened at seeing Joker again that he refuses to talk with him and locks the door. Joker finds his way inside and noticed Achenar sacrificing himself to destroy the root, and Joker briefly wonders why Achenar even cares about 'that little brat Yeesha' before pointing out that there was respirator equipment just outside the door. He laughs at Achenar's bad planning then sees Sirrus in the 'Dream Coffin'. He proceeds to stab the guy several times, just because, then moves on. He pretty much knows Sirrus is in Yeesha's body anyway, because Yeesha simply isn't being herself and he knows it. When Achenar runs in Joker shoots him out of annoyance and pulls the wrong lever. He gets crushed and HeSha is released, but due to his death immunity Joker survives and manages to threaten HeSha into pulling the brick off of him and getting back into the dream chair. Joker then pulls the correct lever and goes back into Dream, where he mentally torments Sirrus into madness, accidentally pulling Yeesha free in the process. Joker follows Yeesha back to Tohmahna, where he gives Atrus a stern warning to NEVER drag him on another 'adventure' again, lest he murder him and his entire family. He caps this by telling, in detail, what he did to Atrus' sons. Atrus is horrified and never calls on Joker's 'services' again, and Joker returns to Gotham for the last time, his revenge complete.

5. There is a prologue. Joker forgets about the linking book until decades later (practically nothing in comic time), when Harley finds it again. Deciding it would make a good practical joke, Joker sends the linking book to another rogue, the Riddler. Riddler reads it, links, and finds himself in K'veer (several decades later), about to begin EoA. He sighs wearily and tells himself that he 'should have known better than to trust a gift from the Joker', and the story will leave off there.

I like that idea. Bahro as an Eldritch Abomination style uncomprehensible monster from the void between Ages. The Tablet and other methods of chaining them down have made them more understandable (or made it more understandable), but while the Ronay/D'ni were making those there was terror as the bahro sometimes where met. Or it could be set in the modern day. With the release of the Tablet, the bahro are free again. Over their long imprisonment, they sort of adapted to a more human understandable form, but they're slowly reverting back with their freedom (although some might want to keep their ability to communicate and fit with humans and D'ni... and some might loathe the D'ni and humans and be trying to manipulate things to that).

I'll probably combine these two ideas. The Bahro will be some sort of incomprehensible beings from an utterly alien planet, who have colonized Noloben. They fear snakes because snakes look like a predator native to the Bahro's home age that is even more Lovecraftian and eats them. When the Bahro arrive in D'ni, mass madness breaks out due to the Bahros' original form. They are benevolent for the most part, but unfortunately D'ni's leaders wage all-out war on the Bahro to contain them, and The Tablet, which acts as a sort of 'Necronomicon', falls into the D'ni's hands. This allows them to enslave the Bahro into a less powerful form. The Bahro learn to live with the D'ni, while all the while the D'ni treat them as slaves and call them derogatory names, as they might with any other 'ahrotahntee'. And that's all just the backstory.

The prophet Yeesha (to them she is a prophet) then sets out to understand the Bahro - unlike many others, she does not go mad when exposed to the Bahros' true form and instead gains understanding and great power from it. Yeesha then sets about to foster this understanding in others, but some of the Bahro do not approve of her integration. These 'Bad Bahro' then attempt to attack and destroy the incoming explorers. The story will probably end on an uncertain note, I'm not positive how exactly, though. Any ideas?

#6 User is offline   Talashar 

• oglahneth (ancient one)
  • KI number:00183867

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:07 PM

View PostMystress, on Oct 26 2010, 06:40 PM, said:

The Bahro learn to live with the D'ni, while all the while the D'ni treat them as slaves and call them derogatory names, as they might with any other 'ahrotahntee'.

The history of D'ni relations with the ahrotahntee is complex and not to be blithely stereotyped! :arianna:

#7 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:54 PM

View PostMystress, on Oct 26 2010, 06:40 PM, said:

"Growing Up Gehn" (as I'm temporarily titling it) will need some research, possibly a re-read of Book of Ti'Ana, and most likely another replaying of Riven while focusing on Gehn's behavior.

I happen to have some unused and semi-used ideas about that lying around if you want.

1. Joker somehow finds the book, possibly in the basement of Arkham Asylum while trying to escape from it. He uses said book and finds himself on Myst, where he proceeds to find the most completely insane and out of the box ways to solve the puzzles and riddles, freak Sirrus out, find a soft spot for Achenar and his similar (if one-note, compared to Joker) craziness, and generally screw everyone over. The only reason he brings the white page to Atrus is because he doesn't want to be trapped and really would like to go back to Gotham and screw things up there. Joker does not get back to Gotham in the end and makes to kill Atrus for messing with him, but his gun turns out to be empty. Atrus and Joker negotiate - if Joker does one more favor for him, Atrus will try to find a faster way back to Joker's home age (DC Universe Earth).

2. Joker chills on Myst Island for a while, and gets dreadfully bored. On a whim he decides to take Sirrus' wavy dagger from Channelwood and go kill Atrus with it, however when he arrives there he finds that Atrus is already prepared to ask the favor of him. When Atrus mentions having Joker 'take care' of Gehn, Joker takes it as meaning that he's going to play mercenary. Which is exactly what he does. Anyone on Riven who bothers him is pretty much going to die. Joker finds that fire marbles make suitable ammo for his gun and uses those; he also still has the wavy dagger. Most of the friendly allies will be terrified of him. Catherine will wonder precisely what Atrus sees in Joker as a 'friend', but trust him... enough. Long enough into tricking him into letting her escape with her life and warn the Moiety. Joker kills Gehn with Joker Venom and takes his gun, then links Gehn's body into the trap book so Atrus suspects nothing. Atrus does notice Gehn isn't moving; Joker dismisses this as Gehn sleeping, which Atrus accepts well enough. Atrus links out without Joker, and Joker swears Atrus WILL pay for it. Joker then falls through the star fissure, laughing all the way, of course.

3. Joker makes his way back to Gotham City, and a few years pass. While he doesn't change due to being a comic book character, Atrus and his family does. One night, Harley discovers a package left for Joker and becomes curious, but takes it to Joker anyway. It is a linking book to Tohmahna, with a note from Atrus. When Joker recalls how Atrus allowed him to fall into the fissure alone, he vows revenge and goes after Atrus. Catherine keeps Yeesha away from Joker, and then a tense sequence where Atrus tries to prevent Joker from killing him ensues. Joker decides to set Atrus' house on fire. During this time Saavedro suddenly bursts in and steals Releeshahn. Joker accidentally stumbles in the confusion and winds up falling onto the open panel and linking. He solves the puzzles, taunting Saavy all the while. In Narayan he attempts to taunt Saavedro into further madness. This only makes Saavedro angrier at Joker, and a battle sequence ensues. Joker easily overpowers the malnourished Saavedro, and shoves him behind the shield and closes it. Saavedro pleads for mercy, Joker ignores it and tricks him into giving up the Releeshahn book in exchange for his life. Joker says no but accidentally frees Saavedro anyway by leaning on the outer shield switch, which irritates Joker because he screwed up an otherwise 'perfect crime'. Joker then returns to Tohmahna and sets Releeshan on the floor, leaving a note saying that he's not finished with Atrus' family yet and WILL get his revenge eventually. Joker returns to Gotham and forgets about the linking book for a time.

4. Joker is on a walk in Gotham one night and encounters a little girl. He decides, what the heck, I'm overdue for some 'fun', and takes the girl hostage. The girl turns out to be Yeesha and she says Atrus wants his help with something. Joker sarcastically responds that he can't imagine why Atrus wants him around again. However he decides that tormenting Yeesha in front of Atrus will be a better revenge than just going after Atrus at home, and agrees to follow Yeesha back to Tohmahna. There, he 'helps' Atrus adjust the frequency by setting it to a resonance that will allow the crystal viewer to explode. Atrus leaves and a sequence ensues where Joker becomes quite irritated with Yeesha and continuously tries to off her, but keeps getting distracted by various things around Atrus' house and Yeesha hiding, etc. While looking for Yeesha, he gets caught in the explosion of the bridge and gets knocked out. He only gets involved in the events of Revelation because he sees getting rid of Yeesha as 'his' job. In Serenia he goes along with the spiritual ceremony, but his guide senses the 'evil aura' around Joker and refuses to guard him. Joker goes to Dream anyway; the only thing preventing him from being ripped apart is his own insanity making his mind as chaotic as Dream is. He intimidates the Spirits into giving up the access code. When he sees Sirrus again, Sirrus is so frightened at seeing Joker again that he refuses to talk with him and locks the door. Joker finds his way inside and noticed Achenar sacrificing himself to destroy the root, and Joker briefly wonders why Achenar even cares about 'that little brat Yeesha' before pointing out that there was respirator equipment just outside the door. He laughs at Achenar's bad planning then sees Sirrus in the 'Dream Coffin'. He proceeds to stab the guy several times, just because, then moves on. He pretty much knows Sirrus is in Yeesha's body anyway, because Yeesha simply isn't being herself and he knows it. When Achenar runs in Joker shoots him out of annoyance and pulls the wrong lever. He gets crushed and HeSha is released, but due to his death immunity Joker survives and manages to threaten HeSha into pulling the brick off of him and getting back into the dream chair. Joker then pulls the correct lever and goes back into Dream, where he mentally torments Sirrus into madness, accidentally pulling Yeesha free in the process. Joker follows Yeesha back to Tohmahna, where he gives Atrus a stern warning to NEVER drag him on another 'adventure' again, lest he murder him and his entire family. He caps this by telling, in detail, what he did to Atrus' sons. Atrus is horrified and never calls on Joker's 'services' again, and Joker returns to Gotham for the last time, his revenge complete.

5. There is a prologue. Joker forgets about the linking book until decades later (practically nothing in comic time), when Harley finds it again. Deciding it would make a good practical joke, Joker sends the linking book to another rogue, the Riddler. Riddler reads it, links, and finds himself in K'veer (several decades later), about to begin EoA. He sighs wearily and tells himself that he 'should have known better than to trust a gift from the Joker', and the story will leave off there.

Nice. I like the ending, and poor Atrus' total obliviousness.

They fear snakes because snakes look like a predator native to the Bahro's home age that is even more Lovecraftian and eats them.

Hmm yeah, that would make me fear snakes too.

When the Bahro arrive in D'ni, mass madness breaks out due to the Bahros' original form. They are benevolent for the most part, but unfortunately D'ni's leaders wage all-out war on the Bahro to contain them, and The Tablet, which acts as a sort of 'Necronomicon', falls into the D'ni's hands. This allows them to enslave the Bahro into a less powerful form. The Bahro learn to live with the D'ni, while all the while the D'ni treat them as slaves and call them derogatory names, as they might with any other 'ahrotahntee'. And that's all just the backstory.

The prophet Yeesha (to them she is a prophet) then sets out to understand the Bahro - unlike many others, she does not go mad when exposed to the Bahros' true form and instead gains understanding and great power from it. Yeesha then sets about to foster this understanding in others, but some of the Bahro do not approve of her integration. These 'Bad Bahro' then attempt to attack and destroy the incoming explorers. The story will probably end on an uncertain note, I'm not positive how exactly, though. Any ideas?

Cliffhangers for climatic battles? Climatic battles ending inconclusively, and both sides ending the story recovering? The great knowledge and madness of the bahro having to be both destroyed at the end together, with all of them slaughtered somehow, leaving only a now shaken explorer population (both from what they were subjected to, and the growing madness and hazards that they themselves have become, delving into the Art in powerful and mad ways, anarchic confusion and power struggles that were necessitated by the crisis, etc.), and perhaps a deceptive Yeesha hiding the extent of what happened? A similar kind of total bahro destruction/banishment, except ending with a couple bahro still around (revealed as a surprise at the end - maybe with them in some state of dormancy that makes it impossible to tell whether they were 'good' or 'bad' bahro to begin with)? The bahro being enslaved again into the Tablet (or similar), but at the cost of a now fractured and wild explorer population (similar to how it would be in the idea where the bahro are totally destroyed), including an inability for any one faction to actually keep watch over the Tablet/new-Tablet? A Roanoke style disappearance of the explorers (after various mentions from both sides suggest that they might plan something which would do this, either for good or evil)? The explorers and bahro failing, and then the D'ni from Releeshahn stepping in to control the chaos, but without much background of how they will choose? The instance splitting having to do with such an ending, so now both 'good' and 'bad' bahro success has happened?

#8 User is offline   Mystress 

Posted 26 October 2010 - 10:50 PM

Hmm, the Lovecraftian Uru Live idea might wind up being longer than I'd anticipated...

I think I might want to end it in an 'apocalypse' scenario: the two Bahro factions engage in a massive battle across the ages, causing reality to warp from their battle and countless witnesses to die or go insane. D'ni is once again destroyed, this time for good. Yeesha wishes to keep the damage a secret from the world and makes the remaining (sane) explorers swear to secrecy. The Cavern is sealed, and the Bahro that survive (very few) lie dormant in the now ruined city, to return again when the time is right. In the end, Yeesha failed in trying to foster understanding of and integrate this alien race with humanity, and the results are catastrophic for the Explorers, the DRC (which possibly knew the true extent of what freeing the Bahro has wrought), Yeesha, and the Bahro. The Bahro failed to fully integrate. The Explorers failed to understand the sheer gravity of the conflict between the Bahro factions. The DRC failed to adequately warn everyone because they wanted to keep it all a secret so as not to panic the Explorers. Nobody wins in the end, which is actually pretty fitting for a Lovecraft-inspired story if you think about it.

As for the Joker story, Atrus isn't so much 'oblivious' (though he certainly is for this fic's purposes) as 'stupidly trying to find the good in someone who just isn't a good person'. He knows his 'friend' the Joker is dangerous; the guy noticeably threatens to kill him at least twice. He just doesn't understand quite *how* dangerous.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users