MYSTcommunity: Relto Book Spines - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Relto Book Spines

#1 User is offline   Almaron 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:45 PM

There used to be a page somewhere about this, but I've been unable to find it so far. Basically, people were trying to speculate on what some of the ages on Phil Henderson's Relto could have been based on the spines. This is certainly an interesting idea, because there are several distinctive spines that reappear.For reference, pixel replicas of all the books can be seen here.

For example, the design on the Bevin book is shared by the Kirel book, and one could assume that this binding was used for Neighbourhood Linking Books. A maximum of four of these books can be seen on Phil's shelf, depending on which version of Uru you are playing. However, another book with this same binding is used to Link to Er'Cana in MOUL. I personally think that this could ignored, as the same book can be seen with Er'Cana in the offline Uru. Two other books also exist with similar patterning to the Neighbourhood pattern, except they appear to be symmetrical.

The garden ages are another example of ages with similar spines, and so are the Pod Ages. Phil's Relto appears to have another Nexus book marked with a "3", so whatever that leads to is anybody's guess. Perhaps the Maintainer's Nexus?

One book appears to have the Symbol of Ahnonay on it, so perhaps this age was owned by Kadish?

The Teledahn book spine can be seen replicated in several different colours. Because Teledahn was written as a gift, this probably means that the book spine was nothing special, and simply the type of book that was being made at the time, although it could have been a special spine (for ages gifted to Guildsmen, or a Caterer's age, or something).

A maximum of nine ages can be seen that in most cases are a solid colour with an adorning on the top, although some of them have a D'ni number on the side. These are probably basic books, made for anybody to link to.

Another four books are adorned with a symbol similar to the Nexus symbol. I'm a bit out of touch with things, and I can't remember where I've seen this symbol, but I know it's somewhere in Uru.

The book used in Uru: Complete Chronicles for the Watcher's Sanctuary is interesting, because the patterning on the side can be seen replicated in MOUL on banners in the Guild Pubs. This could mean that that particular binding of book indicates a Guild Pub.

What does this all mean? One day, when it is possible to edit Uru, and add new ages, we might also be able to edit books, and create spines that better describe the ages. We could have a "Guild Book", containing all of the original 18 Guilds, plus the Watcher's Sanctuary and the Guild of Greeters. We could have thousands of Garden ages with the same binding, and different Neighbourhoods all with their own colouring.

#2 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:16 PM

Here's a reference of Phil's Relto bookshelf in game (for ease of spotting things)

View PostAlmaron, on Nov 5 2010, 04:45 PM, said:

One book appears to have the Symbol of Ahnonay on it, so perhaps this age was owned by Kadish?

Doesn't Kemo also have Ahnonay symbols scattered around it? I wonder if the symbol is some personal symbol, or something he partially derived the design of Ahnonay around (as a common symbol he could use to sneakily reference what was actually there, while being covert). It also might suggest a specific connection to Ahnonay.

The Teledahn book spine can be seen replicated in several different colours. Because Teledahn was written as a gift, this probably means that the book spine was nothing special, and simply the type of book that was being made at the time, although it could have been a special spine (for ages gifted to Guildsmen, or a Caterer's age, or something).

Yeah, that type of book looks like a more generic one. Maybe dyed a bit to fit the general look of the Age (I'd think they'd have maybe 10 different colors, and Age writers would pick the closest type, because the D'ni are picky like that).

Another four books are adorned with a symbol similar to the Nexus symbol. I'm a bit out of touch with things, and I can't remember where I've seen this symbol, but I know it's somewhere in Uru.
Nexus podiums, and some round balconies/circular areas (including around the fountain in the 'hoods). I think it might generally suggest either the concept of linking, or the concept of bringing things together (or being the "center" of things).

The book used in Uru: Complete Chronicles for the Watcher's Sanctuary is interesting, because the patterning on the side can be seen replicated in MOUL on banners in the Guild Pubs. This could mean that that particular binding of book indicates a Guild Pub.

Or it might mean it indicates a pub in general (since Watcher's Sanctuary isn't a Guild Pub) - that type of building and purpose (and we don't have enough surviving stuff in Kahlo pub to see if that also fits the theme).

#3 User is offline   ddb174 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 06 November 2010 - 08:49 AM

It's already possible to create your own Ages, and there are already over a hundred fan-made Ages! See here: http://dusty.homeuni...t/wiki/UAM/Ages

And Drizzle patches the Relto files so that they can have custom book covers, and there are about 30 or so that do have custom covers! Using the UamKiPlugin, you can use a special command to set which books you want on the lower half of your Relto bookshelf.

#4 User is offline   AaronAKAAtrus 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:02961432

Posted 06 November 2010 - 05:04 PM

i think they mean Phils Relto

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users