MYSTcommunity: If my theory is right, then Riven could have ended terribly wrong... - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

If my theory is right, then Riven could have ended terribly wrong... How did Atrus write Gehn's prison book?

#1 User is offline   Allatwan 

• Prime Minister of the Black Moiety
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:01199433

Posted 23 January 2011 - 12:12 PM

Hi everyone!

I hope this doesn't end up being a stupid thread, but I really wanted to know other people's thoughts on this.
As I recalled several conversations about Myst with offline friends, I remembered some of the crazy things we said we would do if we, as a group, had been the Strangers. Needless to say we would have entirely messed up the games (some of you, for instance, might remember that terrible fanfic I wrote two years ago on my siblings, cousins and I in Exile? Imagine the same kind of chaos to the power of 5, for Riven). The thing is, I ended up thinking about something which, at first, seemed harmless. In the end, however, it might have totally changed the ending.

OK, here's what I'm wondering about:

If prison books are corrupted links, and that linking books are part of a preexisting descriptive book, then a prison book is a corrupted link based on a preexisting descriptive book, right?
Now... Gehn's prison book in Riven was made to look like K'veer. But did the "original", non-corrupted link lead to K'veer, or did it lead to one of its copies?

I have been thinking about this because one of the crazy things my friends and I mentioned we would do was to edit the prison book so that it was a normal linking book (since one of us is good at copying other people's handwritings, and since it would have been easier to talk Gehn into linking to a book that wouldn't have trapped Cho first, for instance).
So... Here's the thing: if it is a different book altogether, then the outcome would be the same, right? It'd just be a prison Age.
But what if Atrus had based his prison book on a linking book to K'veer... then would that mean that Gehn would have linked to K'veer... and met Atrus?
Yeah, we have weird, chaotic ideas like that :p

#2 User is offline   Kaelri 

• Red Leader
  • Group: Moderator
  • KI number:49612

Posted 23 January 2011 - 12:58 PM

This is what we know about trap books, from Atrus's journal:

The procedure is actually quite simple: by altering key lines of text but slightly, a normal Linking Book’s connection can be partially severed, such that anyone who attempts to use the Book will be permanently trapped in the dark void of the Link — that is, unless someone else then uses the Book, at which point that person would become trapped, and the first person displaced back into the world.

The technique can be applied to Books that have already been written, changes to the original text being so slight that anyone who is unfamiliar with the code will be unable to detect them.

The unanswered question is whether a trap book's "partially severed" connection can be repaired - and, if so, whether that can be done without being at the link-in spot. (Since you have to be there when you first write the linking book, you may also have to be there to make edits.) We really don't know the answer to either question for sure.

If the answer is yes, though... then, yep, 100% guaranteed family reunion.

#3 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin

Posted 23 January 2011 - 01:03 PM

You'd also have to know the correct change(s) to make to repair the Link. Given that the Stranger is likely unfamiliar with Linking Books beyond "I know how to use them" (I doubt Atrus would have had much time to instruct them in Writing and the finer points of theory), it's unlikely the Stranger would have the skills to make that kind of repair. It's possible that Catherine could have fixed it to a normal Book (allowing the two of you to use it over something like lava or water so the Book becomes ruined once you're gone), but given that Gehn must be trapped first in order for you to free her, you don't really have that kind of opportunity.

#4 User is offline   Allatwan 

• Prime Minister of the Black Moiety
  • KI number:01199433

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:37 AM

I agree with you Capella, but the hypothesis is still... frightening :p

#5 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:55 AM

View PostCapella, on 23 January 2011 - 01:03 PM, said:

You'd also have to know the correct change(s) to make to repair the Link. Given that the Stranger is likely unfamiliar with Linking Books beyond "I know how to use them" (I doubt Atrus would have had much time to instruct them in Writing and the finer points of theory), it's unlikely the Stranger would have the skills to make that kind of repair. It's possible that Catherine could have fixed it to a normal Book (allowing the two of you to use it over something like lava or water so the Book becomes ruined once you're gone), but given that Gehn must be trapped first in order for you to free her, you don't really have that kind of opportunity.

Yeah, if Atrus saw the technique as proof against Gehn (who, although mistaken in many ways about writing, still has a lot of knowledge and experience in it), and it was originally thought up at all (which would probably require it to be somewhat proof against writers noticing it easily to fix it), then I doubt the Stranger or even Catherine would be able to fix it.

Actually, if she was quick at it, you would have the opportunity to escape that way. Use Gehn's allowance of linking to link to Prison Island, give Katran the book. Katran modifies the book, links out so it falls just within the cage. Rush out, link out in the waters around Prison Island.

...on an unrelated note, I wonder if books that get shot through can be repaired.

#6 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:59 PM

View PostGehn, lord of ages, on 24 January 2011 - 08:55 AM, said:

Actually, if she was quick at it, you would have the opportunity to escape that way. Use Gehn's allowance of linking to link to Prison Island, give Katran the book. Katran modifies the book, links out so it falls just within the cage. Rush out, link out in the waters around Prison Island.

Doesn't Gehn take the prison book from you once you run into him in 233 with it? Because if he takes it, then this doesn't work. Unless you go see him first to get access, then go to Tay to get it, then link back to 233 and disappear through to Prison Island without calling Gehn, then do it. There's still a risk someone might be watching her cage, but I can see you having time to take the book and link off the edge before they can get you. Of course, you've still doomed the Rivenese to living with Gehn and on an unstable Age, and the Moiety are in Tay with no idea what happened...

#7 User is offline   Shinkansen 

• Friendly Forum Curmudgeon
  • KI number:00759215

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:01 PM

Or what about burning a Trap Book?

I remember one theory floating around when Myst IV first came out was that Sirrus and Achenar had actually been in Trap Books, but when Atrus burned those Books, the Link was 'forced through', so to say, and Sirrus and Achenar ended up in Haven and Spire.

So, if Gehn's Book was ever damaged to the point of non-functionality, couldn't he be 'forced through' into K'veer?

#8 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:43 PM

View PostShinkansen, on 26 January 2011 - 07:01 PM, said:

Or what about burning a Trap Book?

I remember one theory floating around when Myst IV first came out was that Sirrus and Achenar had actually been in Trap Books, but when Atrus burned those Books, the Link was 'forced through', so to say, and Sirrus and Achenar ended up in Haven and Spire.

So, if Gehn's Book was ever damaged to the point of non-functionality, couldn't he be 'forced through' into K'veer?

Or would it just totally remove the link, leaving him basically stranded (as his own little Age, I guess - linkable to only if the very precise description was given, which would be impossible)? Or would it crush the link around him? Or would he float free entirely, from it or any other link, and just fly around in between Ages forever/until he fell into another Age or fell sideways through a link and so into an Age?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users