MYSTcommunity: Unauthorized Linking Books - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Unauthorized Linking Books Or "My Journeys Through the Fan-made Ages"

#1 User is offline   Zenoc2 

• lontahn (discoverer)
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:01951307

Posted 23 January 2011 - 12:22 PM

(Hope it's alright to post this here. There seems to be some conflict between Cyan and the Guild of Writers at the moment, though over what, I'm not sure. Seeing as we're not really affiliated with them, I decided I would post this here, as opposed to on MOUL's forums or something.)

1-21-11
I'm very, very disappointed.

About a week ago, I wrote down my musings in this journal, on the state of the Cavern, and the disagreements between the DRC and the explorers writing new Ages. I wrote about how I was just beginning to discover the Devokan story, that strange tale spanning Ages, dimensions and time. And then, just as I finished writing, I felt one of those headaches, which plague me so often in visiting other Ages, coming on. I blacked out, and awoke back in my room on Earth. I have been back to Relto and other Ages since then, but only now did I think to open my journal again. To my dismay, all that I had written was gone.

This isn't really that big a deal, I suppose. I've learned quite a bit since then, and I know now that not everything I wrote was correct. Still, it's disappointing to no longer have a record of the thoughts and feelings at the beginning of last week, when I first began receiving the books I requested through the Drizzle program. Need to remember to thank the people at Alcugs (I think that's the name of the company.)

Perhaps it would be best to summarize the events of this past week.

-After several failed attempts, I finally managed to link into the world that Dot Macchi and the others in the Devokan Trust refer to as "Restoration". I find it interesting that they have put so much effort into restoring _places_, against the teachings of Yeesha... (focus, Zenoc. Speculate later, just summarize now).
-After further attempts, I managed to meet with Miss Macchi, as well as Paislee, who, like Quinquifid, is a former inhabitant of Devokan.
-Explored some of their islands (althought it's clear that there's still much more to discover)
-Read everything I could find about the Devokan story. This took a considerable amount of time.

Today, I finished reading what has been written of this story so far. Already, it has seen some endings written, and just as many beginnings.

I am standing beneath the red sphere, in the gazebo in Serene, as I write this. After reading of all that was lost, as Devokan after Devokan (there were multiple islands of Devokan that formed over time) was destroyed, I cannot help but feel sorry for Quin (as his friends refer to him). It is clear that the young man is a genius- not in the way that my classmates back on Earth often call me such, but a genuine genius. Still, the way that he destroyed the original Serene cannot be overlooked...
It is clear that he and his mysterious Aunt Elspeth are key to this story.
The cold here, as well as the strange noises of the fireflies and whaterver creature is moving about in the trees here, is setting me on edge. I'm linking to somewhere with a bench, so I can sit down and think clearly about all that is happened. Perhaps another visit to Neolbah is in order.
---

I had hoped to use Dot's desk to do some writing (that chair, despite the tears in the fabric, is quite comfortable), but it seems that I can't get my journal out of my pocket while sitting down. Just as well- she might not take kindly to others using her office so freely.
The sound of the fountain here is softer and more calming than the ones in the Bevins. I have to be careful not to fall asleep here- the stone benches have some nasty sharp edges.

I've been meaning to write down some of my speculations on the mysterious spheres that are so common around the islands of Devokan. Miss Macchi said herself that they still don't understand everything about the spheres. So, here's what I have gathered so far:

Blue/white Spheres: these seem to be used mostly for transfering things- objects, places, even creatures and people. However, people have passed through these spheres and come out the other side in the same world, so exactly what effects the transfer is unknown (as far as I can tell, even Quin has to put up with their slow transfer rate).

-Speculation: It's easy to see the similarities between these spheres and those depicted in Myst V: End of Ages. How much artistic licence there is between these and what RAWA actually saw is unknown, but I think that the way they undulated and moved may have been made up, if indeed these are the same kind of spheres as those which the explorers have come to call "Linking bubbles". The main difference I see is that the ones seen in Winterfell and in Restoration changed in size over long periods of time, while the size of the linking bubbles remained mostly constant.

As to _what_ these spheres/bubbles really are... again, this is purely speculation. However, I think that they represent some kind of in-between place- the dark void that travellers are flung through when they link between Ages.

Perhaps it would be easier to explain it in the way that the idea came to me. Imagine a stack of papers. Each paper is filled with sentient, two-dimensional creatures. Now, suppose that someone in our dimension were to take the paper on top, and cut a hole in the middle of it, just a little bigger than one of the creatures on the paper. Then the paper is laid back down on the stack. A creature on the page stumbles into the area where the hole is. From here, through just a tiny shift in our dimension, he could fall through the hole, onto the paper below his own!

Now, we have these spheres, these things that transfer people and places between worlds. Might they be "holes" in our world? A hole in one of the paper worlds discussed above, literally, would be an intrusion of our dimension in to theirs. Could these spheres not be an intrusion of a higher dimension into our own?

While inside one of these spheres, people can still be in the world that they entered from. And yet, something effects a transfer, from one world to another, while inside the sphere. Could this transfer be us making that tiny shift in the fourth dimension, to another "sheet of paper," as it were?

Again, this is all wild conjecture, and has no basis in real science. Still, I can't help but think that I'm on the right track. It
would explain how the bubbles in Myst V facilitated RAWA's linking between Ages. Flung through the fourth dimension, to another world in our third dimension...

I'm sure anyone who knows anything about inter-dimensional travel would be laughing at me right now. :p

The way the spheres can be controlled is intriguing, though. I'm reminded of the platforms each of the linking bubbles in Myst V rested on. A common motif with anything constructed by the Bahro is large, tooth-like bones. How were they controlling their spheres? And what is it that allows Quin and Nalates to control theirs?

That island of Deepwater is the key to understanding all of this. The island, and Elspeth Sorrelwood- since it is clear that she is some kind of time-traveller- are somehow connected, and they are the keys to understanding more of this mystery.

I think I'll leave the red spheres for another time. That's enough writing for now.
---

Just linked back from Sonavio after falling off of a floating ... rock. That place is really, really big . Also, I don't like it when my evil corporations start using mystical native tech.
---

The DRA (D'ni Research Association) office for Adrael belies just how huge Adrael is too. Big enough to be its own complete adventure, separate from the Uru of D'ni. All well and good, but I think that when I learn to Write, I'll make smaller Ages.

Of course, it's easy to see just how much work went into this one- the level of detail is on par with most of the official, DRC-approved Ages.

The first time I walked up to one of those automatic doors scared the crap out of me, though.

1-22-11
I hadn't realized just how much I wrote yesterday. I hope people don't mind the wall of text when I transcribe this onto the forums. :p

Fully explored Sonavio today, with... a small amount of help. Lots and lots of red herrings.

#2 User is offline   Zenoc2 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:27 PM

I guess I'll just hope someone reads this... although maybe I should lead by example, and comment on the other journals here. I'm sure other people would like some feedback too.

1-23-11
I... eugh. Man, this place stifles thought. The sadness of this dried-up Age presses out all emotion, other than a dazed, numb feeling, upon looking at the red sky and the barren, spongy ground.

I'm sitting near the top of the elevator on Ulteemah as I write this entry. The writer claimed (in a rather strange note, posted in the central chamber below) that his focus when writing this age was "texture". Well, it has certainly paid off. The pale yellow ground and the blood-red sky are both beautiful and horrible. And yet, despite the author's claim of leaving out story altogether, the land still speaks volumes.

Anyone who has watched anything about the ocean on National Geographic should be able to see what I'm talking about: this place looks very much like a dried-up, dead coral reef. The few corals (if that is what they are) that still stand on this dry ground now look bleached, drained of almost all of their color and life. The small standing pools of water in this otherwise waterless Age also point to this conclusion.

Beautiful, and terrible. And horrifying . I can't stay here any longer.
---

It's been a while since I've been to Eder Tomahn, the little pub behind one of the rest areas in the Great Shaft. "Rest house," or "rest home" is what the name means, according to the audio log that Andy (Andy Legate?) left here. It's exactly what I needed after Ulteemah.

I just listened to the audio log again. I hadn't remembered just how closely involved Andy was with Dot and Quin.

Quin. What was it that he saw in Serene that made him chose it over the others for his experiment? He's one of the people more closely involved with the ongoing developments in Devokan, and he and Nalates are the only ones of that core group that I have not met yet.
(Obviously, as of this posting, that's no longer true, although I have yet to meet Mr. Oddenfen in person.)
---

Two unnerving Ages in a row! I'm afraid I don't share Quin's... whatever it is that let him explore the ERC Age so calmly.

The ERC Age wouldn't freak me out so much if it wasn't for the strange lighting . It seems that the atmosphere traps the light from the nearby sun so that it's always visible, even when it's on the other side of the planet. What makes it so unnerving is that whatever chemicals are in the atmosphere absorb everything but the green light. Stranger still is that the land itself is lit with a soft purple glow. I'm surprised that any of the plants here, save for the carnivorous bug-eating one (which has EYES, by the way) have survived.

I'm standing next to what seems to be one of the casualties of this planet's strange light. The G'lanhomi, the noxious gas-producing plant from Sonavio, seems to have ceased pumping out its over-powering...

Agh!
---

How could I have been so foolish?! This whole time, I've been exploring these unapproved Ages *without a Maintainer suit*! How? How could I do something so idiotic?
Breathe. Focus. It's safe here.
I'm standing in the library of my Relto, safe again. As far as I can tell, I suffered no harm in the ERC Age, but... what was I thinking?
From now on, my first link into an Age will be with my Maintainer suit on.
---

Hehee. Hehe hahahee. There's a special exhilaration in going where you know you're not supposed to be.

Obviously, I'm feeling much better now. I've found a new Maintainer's suit, since my old one seems to have disappeared. I'm also standing next to the Wall, in the main building of Gahreesen. The DRC would definitely not approve my fiddling with the chute system to get in.

That sounds really unsually mischevious of me, but... ohhh this place is cool. 8)
Of course, I haven't forgotten what else this Age was used for. Cool tech aside, this was definitely a place of corruption for some... and of suffering for others.
---

Hello, Rell-too. How is it that I managed to save all of the *strange* Ages until today?
---

Strange and beautiful. Just as I wrote that first remark, the sun set! I could barely see to write!... And now the sun is up again! This Age seems to rotate at a speed close to that of Teledahn. How the gravity here has not crushed me or thrown me off the face of the planet is beyond me.
---

Oh my. I think my visit here is going to be much longer than anticipated.
---

This Age continues to impress me more and more! It even has a labratory, with properly labelled bottles of chemicals! Must explore more tomorrow.

#3 User is offline   Zenoc2 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 24 April 2011 - 06:49 PM

This story is still going on, although I haven't remembered to post it here as well as on the Devokan Forums. You can find the rest of the story, starting here, over on those forums.

#4 User is offline   foodandart 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 25 April 2011 - 04:47 PM

Cool. Thanks for the link.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users