MYSTcommunity: Reputation? - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Reputation?

#1 User is offline   Shinkansen 

• Friendly Forum Curmudgeon
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:00759215

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:42 PM

Being the crusty old young curmudgeon I am, I'm still getting used to the new board, but there's this one feature that's gotten me a little intrigued.
It's that little box down in the right-hand corner of everyone's posts.

It's called 'reputation'.

What is this for, exactly? Is it a short-hand way of showing which members are ones to watch out for?

Also, with a few clicks, I found that I can quite arbitrarily raise and lower nearly any member's reputation, though, only once, it seems. Couldn't this feature be massively abused?

And I know I'm going to start calling the thing the "Infamy" or "Badboy" box. :rolleyes:

#2 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:40 PM

Reputation is to give an opinion on whether a specific post is positive or negative. Therefore, posts that are off-topic, spammy, or otherwise don't contribute to the discussion going on in a particular thread could be given a negative reputation. Likewise, a post that's extremely helpful, insightful, or otherwise a great contribution might be given a positive reputation. Basically, it serves as a numerical way of quantifying how many people really liked or disliked a particular post.

For a practical example, take some of the pinned threads we have with technical fixes to get older Myst games running. If you find a post with a method that makes your copy of Riven run, you might click the green plus to give it positive reputation, as a way of saying "this post was really helpful".

That said, we're still working out exactly how it's going to display and operate from now on, so expect to see a few changes as the next few days move on. The reason you can only give it once right now is, you give it once per post. There's also a cap on how many times it can be given per day and how often it can be spread around, which is why it may appear you can only give it once.

tl;dr: It's not intended to be a direct way of passing judgement on a member, but as a way to rank submitted content. If you're familiar with Reddit or Digg, it's like an upvote or a thumbs-up. If you're familiar with Facebook, it's like a "like this".

#3 User is offline   Shinkansen 

• Friendly Forum Curmudgeon
  • KI number:00759215

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:07 PM

View PostCapella, on 26 January 2011 - 08:40 PM, said:

tl;dr: It's not intended to be a direct way of passing judgement on a member- that's the star ratings in the profiles- but as a way to rank submitted content. If you're familiar with Reddit or Digg, it's like an upvote or a thumbs-up. If you're familiar with Facebook, it's like a "like this".

Or the 'thumbs up/thumbs down' thing on YouTube.

#4 User is offline   aander91 

• Forum game like its 2008
  • KI number:00087015

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:58 PM

On one forum I frequent, they have a Karma system where users can rate other users in a similar fashion. It's a horribly immature board, and people were thinking the same thing there, it seems pretty abusable. Incidentally, the numbers are pretty accurate, but that doesn't mean it's a good system. If you're on the unpopular side of a debate, maybe you'll get down voted, and some people even go so far as to point out low Karma in arguments or debates.

That said, this is easily the most mature board I frequent, so I'm sure we'd have no problem with a less impactful version.

#5 User is offline   Mystress 

• "Crazy" is a relative term...
  • KI number:01792588

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:32 PM

Except whether people like/dislike your posts or not shows up on your profile as well. And currently, there is a glitch (unless it was fixed) where you can fix your own reputation by upvoting your own comments. The upvote yourself glitch was fixed.

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks the whole reputation thing is a bad idea. Best to have a minimalist version (the profile stars) instead...

#6 User is offline   aander91 

• Forum game like its 2008
  • KI number:00087015

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:39 AM

Again, I really don't think it'll be a problem here. If someone is getting downvoted, then it's probably for a good reason (forum ettiquite, just being a swearword, etc). Nut we really don't have users like that, so I'll be surprised if anyone is in the negatives.

#7 User is offline   chucker 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • KI number:196082

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:00 AM

View PostMystress, on 26 January 2011 - 11:32 PM, said:

And currently, there is a glitch (unless it was fixed) where you can fix your own reputation by upvoting your own comments. The upvote yourself glitch was fixed.

The ability of someone to vote on their own posts wasn't so much "fixed" as disabled. I don't think it was much of an issue.

#8 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:15 PM

The issue of the appropriate use of reputation (and consequences for abusing the ability to give it) are spelled out in the new forum guidelines. I hope this, especially the warning that giving negrep because you disagree with an opinion or poster will result in a warning, clears up the concerns voiced in this thread.

#9 User is offline   Topher Bear 

• shokhootahn (instructor)
  • KI number:06868707

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:32 AM

Bad idea. Reputation isn't needed in mc. We have gotten on fine without it. Anyway I can't see or vote on the mobile version.

And whats this about not having the woodchuck in polls. That is part of old myst lore, past of what made mc what it was!

#10 User is offline   luna 

• meh
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:141809

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:12 AM

At a certain point in history people also got along fine without computers and spaceflight....

I'm sorry, I am not certain whether reputation is a good thing or a bad thing myself but I hate bad arguments.

#11 User is offline   chucker 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:14 AM

Reputation will be the end of all civilized society.

#12 User is offline   Kaelri 

• Red Leader
  • Group: Moderator
  • KI number:49612

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:33 AM

Reputation will accelerate the heat death of the universe.

And whats this about not having the woodchuck in polls. That is part of old myst lore, past of what made mc what it was!

That's been in there for years. I guess some higher-up didn't care for it so much. ;)

#13 User is offline   chucker 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:34 AM

I'm pretty sure I never complained about it. :p

#14 User is offline   Free Bird 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • KI number:343012

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:07 PM

The woodchuck thing got pretty old pretty fast. That was a long time ago, though...

#15 User is offline   AaronAKAAtrus 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • KI number:02961432

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:59 PM

WOODCHUCK? :?

#16 User is offline   Mystress 

• "Crazy" is a relative term...
  • KI number:01792588

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:59 PM

Oh. Woodchuck. I vaguely recall woodchuck...

What happened was that people would make polls, and then put "Woodchuck" as a joke, non-sequiteur answer possibility. Some team member/mod/admin got really tired of it and decided to disallow it, which is kind of a shame because it could've been a funny enough site-specific meme and would probably have died on its own anyway once people realized it was really not all that funny.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users