MYSTcommunity: How to fix Sound Stuttering - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

How to fix Sound Stuttering On Win7/Vista.

#1 User is offline   Mystress 

• "Crazy" is a relative term...
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:01792588

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:42 PM

A little while ago I had some issues with my computer and sound. I play a lot of music on my computer and watch a lot of videos on Youtube, and I'd begun to notice that my sound was skipping. Not just skipping, though - making odd stuttering, buzzing noises whenever any sound was played, and they happened at random. This quickly got annoying and at one point scared me that I may need to get a new sound card, but thankfully I found a helpful solution to the problem:

1) Turn off indexing. This can be helpful to find files faster, but it also makes the files more fragmented. There's not much of a reason for it unless you really need everything organized and need to find everything fast, and I really don't. This can also mess with your sound files, because fragmenting is particularly harsh on them. To turn off indexing, go to: Computer >> Right-click on the drive you want to turn off indexing on >> select Properties from the drop-down menu >> choose the General tab >> uncheck "Allow files on this drive to be indexed". Apply the changes and hit OK. Now indexing is turned off, but it may take time to unindex all of your files; it took my laptop a half hour.

2) Change your sound quality on your speakers. You can also add enhancements if you like; I added Bass Boost and Virtual Surround so the quality of my music was better. To change your sound quality: Right-click the speaker icon in your system tray >> select Playback Devices from the drop-down menu >> Select "Speakers/Headphones" >> choose the "Advanced" tab >> go through the sound quality options in the drop-down tray until you find one that works for you >> Hit Apply, then OK. Now your sound quality will be set to whatever you set it as.

These two things should be the first things you try when attempting to diagnose sound issues. If you're still having them, it might be a bigger issue, which isn't something I can really help with. :)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users