MYSTcommunity: Flash Video Problems (Distortion of Image) - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Flash Video Problems (Distortion of Image) please help, this is driving me nuts!

#1 User is offline   Mystress 

• "Crazy" is a relative term...
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:01792588

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:51 PM

Okay, so very recently I began to notice that whenever I play a long flash video file on some sites, I'm having problems. When it hits past about the 14 or 15 minute mark, a wide band of pixelated color appears across the video screen, and *does not go away*. I have had this problem occur twice now; the second time, it messed with my graphics for a moment and appeared to crash as if the hardware could not handle the graphics being displayed; the video was a green blank screen but the audio continued to play. However, this does NOT occur on every site. Videos from Youtube and Blip.TV do not cause this problem, just FLV files uploaded into non-specialized players, like those on ScrewAttack.com or Comedy Central's website - and it only occurs with videos longer than 15 minutes or so.

I am very confused, because all my drivers and Firefox plugins are up to date. The only possible thing that I think *might* have caused it is this: last summer my cat spilled some koolaid on the keyboard, an entire glassful. We drained out the liquid and the computer runs perfectly fine, but I doubt that could start causing this problem now. Is it possible the liquid damage could have caused this issue by somehow seeping into the area that contains the audio/video cards, or is this not a feasible line of thought? I did update all drivers that could be updated, and updated the Shockwave plugin for Firefox as well.

I run Windows 7 64 bit with an Intel Pentium DualCore processor; I don't know the name of my video driver. Is there anyone having the same issue and if so can you help me? If you need photos I can provide them; I'll take pictures next time this problem arises.

UPDATE: I updated all my drivers and tested out a long AVGN (Angry Video Game Nerd, definitely NOT safe for this site so I won't post anything else about him here) video today, about 20 minutes long in fact. I had no problems. The video I *was* watching when this issue occurred was a newer video by the same person (AVGN) in a fluid Flash container. I have heard of this issue occurring with others before running my same OS and varying bit-makes (x32, x64, etc.); either it's a Windows 7 thing or it's a problem with the new Flash build. I've also read that having your screensaver on and then watching the video can mess it up as well. Blip.TV and Youtube continue to be issue-free.

#2 User is offline   Kaelri 

• Red Leader
  • Group: Moderator
  • KI number:49612

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:20 PM

I strongly doubt that the koolaid spill is related. :)

Does it happen when you play the files in a local media player, or only in a Flash player?

Does it happen if you skip ahead in the video, or only after 14-15 minutes of continuous playback?

(It might also be helpful if you could link a specific video that causes this behavior.)

#3 User is offline   Mystress 

• "Crazy" is a relative term...
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:01792588

Posted 04 February 2011 - 04:32 PM

It occurs only in a generic flash container, not in a site-specific one and not in any media players.

It occurs even if I skip ahead, right about at the fifteen minute mark.

One video that causes this to occur (WARNING: Link may not be safe for work because it includes [some very creative and colorful] swearing): Click Here

This is the aforementioned video that in addition to causing video distortion, caused my computer screen to blink out, turn the windows/taskbar to a generic blue scheme with no Aero effects (like what happens when I run Quicktime for... some reason; it's fixed by turning Quicktime off), and made the entire flash container screen turn solid green after the computer screen came back on again.

EDIT: Ugh. Same crap, different link.

Today I was watching an older AVGN video, from September 2010 (not very long ago at all). Not far from the end of the video, I got the odd glitching again. I have therefore concluded that this does NOT happen at a set time mark, but when the video is almost finished playing, because this video was 23 minutes long and had no issues until the very end. This was also on gametrailers.com. Previous AVGN videos, whether posted on ScrewAttack.com or Youtube, do not have this odd colorful glitching issue. The flash container on gametrailers is a very generic flash player, but so is the one on ScrewAttack. The only other possibility I can think of is trying to download the video and watching it in Windows Media Player. Can someone PLEASE help, I really have no idea what to do and it's driving me *nuts*.

EDIT x2: Figured out how to fix it! I looked up my issue and found another person suffering my problem on the Adobe Flash forums - exactly the same issue, too. Apparently, it has to do with the latest version of Flash not always playing nice with Firefox or some video cards. The solution? Turn off hardware acceleration. Problem solved!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users