MYSTcommunity: The Great Zero Line - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

The Great Zero Line Conflicting sources

#1 User is offline   Almaron 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:44 PM

I'm looking over several maps of Ae'gura, in an attempt to figure out the location of various districts and missing buildings, and I find myself wondering about the direction of the Great Zero line.

According to the books in the Hall of Kings, the Great Zero line was set by Ri'neref to face magnetic north. Only religious buildings, or buildings authorized by the King could be built along it. It also states that Guild buildings had to be built to face it. It was briefly modified by Me'erta to face towards a prominent landmark of D'ni, but this didn't last. If the Great Zero is currently functioning properly, then the line runs down the Great Stairs, with the Temple Of The Great King, the Guild Hall & the as yet unseen Temple Of Yahvo on it. It is also suggested that the city expanded outwards from the Great Zero line.

Aitrus' map of the route from the surface to D'ni makes the matter confusing. Five cardinal points emerge from Ae'gura, each divided into five; corresponding with the D'ni numbering system (Each point having 12500 spans between them, adding to a grand total of 62500). I initially thought that the second of the five points must refer to the Great Zero, because it was located in the centre of the inhabited area of Ae'gura. Aitrus' map also shows the location of the aptly-named South Gate, which lies roughly to the south of the Great Zero line, enforcing the possibility of it indeed being the northernmost span. However, according to this map, nothing was built on the left side of the Great Zero. If the Great Stair runs along the Great Zero line, then according to the map, the Palace, the Canyon Mall, the Concert Hall, the Great Library (and possibly the district of Kerath'en, see below) should not exist.

Worse, the clay models of D'ni support the view of the Great Zero line being centred in the city. Not only does the whole of Ae'gura encompass nearly 25000 torahns (the area between two of the five points); a depiction that is shared by Aitrus' map, but the city limits are roughly the same difference from the Great Zero on either side; ranging from J'Taeri District in the upper part of Ae'gura, to Kerath'en and the Great Library in the lower part (actually, upon closer observation, it is larger on the Great Library side, as the district of Ishah juts out. Current observations of Ae'gura suggest J'Taeri is on one side of the Guild Hall, Jaren on the other, and Ishah and Kerath'en both located past this, although not on the same level. The district locations for J'Taeri & Jaren, as given in the books, also contradict the placement of the Great Zero line, as they are both supposed to be located on the east side of the island, and presumably, the Great Zero line, when only one such district is shown, which has already been identified as J'Taeri, due to it being the location of The Great Tree Pub).

Which source is wrong here? Is the Great Zero set to the wrong co-ordinates? Did Guildsman Aitrus make a mistake when mapping the city? Or is something else wrong?

#2 User is offline   AaronAKAAtrus 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:02961432

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:45 AM

The OOC interpretation:
Spoiler

Or, in IC words:
Spoiler

#3 User is offline   Talashar 

• oglahneth (ancient one)
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:00183867

Posted 05 February 2011 - 01:09 PM

I wonder if the discrepancy has to do with a clash between the four-valued directional system as seen here, which includes teemah (the label for the south gate), and the five-valued system associated with the Great Zero.

View PostAaronAKAAtrus, on 05 February 2011 - 09:45 AM, said:

Spoiler

I don't think Wingrove had anything to do with the map.

#4 User is offline   Zenoc2 

• lontahn (discoverer)
  • KI number:01951307

Posted 05 February 2011 - 07:52 PM

Y'know, I just saw a reference to the "old Great Zero Line", in one of the books in the Hall of Kings. Facing out the door that leads to the Great Library, it's directly to your left. Apparently, that king declared that the old line was accurate and should be followed again.

#5 User is offline   Almaron 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:27 PM

What's directly to the left? The Hall of Kings, or Me'erta's Great Zero Line? I don't remember any notes as to where his altered line was? Although I did read in Book Of Ti'ana that there was a large pillar of rock somewhere in the lake, that was damaged during the fall. The fact that this is identified as a prominent landmark of sorts leads me to think that this is where Me'erta's Great Zero was pointed.

Also in Book of Ti'ana, they mention that the D'ni wouldn't excavate the east side of their cavern due to lava deposits. This enforces Aitrus' map, as two sides of the caverns are populated; one of which is identified as south. In addition to this, lava is noted in the eastern region of the map.

Playing Uru to check the co-ordinates is no help - according to the KI, Ashem'en District should be located nearly opposite Tokotah Alley, when the King's journals detail that Ashem'en was intentionally built on the outskirts of D'ni, to prevent a repeat of the plague brought in through Nehw'eril, a central city district. Worse, this suggests that Ae'gura faces the City Proper, something that would contradict many maps and notes listed before.

#6 User is offline   AaronAKAAtrus 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • KI number:02961432

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:46 PM

View PostTalashar, on 05 February 2011 - 01:09 PM, said:

I wonder if the discrepancy has to do with a clash between the four-valued directional system as seen here, which includes teemah (the label for the south gate), and the five-valued system associated with the Great Zero.

View PostAaronAKAAtrus, on 05 February 2011 - 09:45 AM, said:

Spoiler

I don't think Wingrove had anything to do with the map.

Cyan is artistic, they can edit a map ;)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users