Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Greek Mythology What if it was based on reality

#1 User is offline   Math of 5 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:02 AM

I've recently read some literature that suggested that the very masculine Greek mythology and culture that we know replaced an earlier more "mother-goddess" mythology of the Minoans and other earlier peoples. It was suggested that this is why Hera is presented in such a negative light in mythology, but archeologically was very revered by the people. She was a remnant of the old religion that was married to Zeus in order to bring in the native peoples, but was represented badly in order to subdue them. I keep thinking there might be a story in there somewhere, but how to you write a story about a goddess? How do you make a main character out of someone so removed from a relatable human being? And if the Greek gods were real, what would be the narrative explanation for their power? How would you write a story based out of a mythology? Hope these ramblings make sense...

#2 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:31 AM

View PostMath of 5, on 05 February 2011 - 12:02 AM, said:

I've recently read some literature that suggested that the very masculine Greek mythology and culture that we know replaced an earlier more "mother-goddess" mythology of the Minoans and other earlier peoples. It was suggested that this is why Hera is presented in such a negative light in mythology, but archeologically was very revered by the people. She was a remnant of the old religion that was married to Zeus in order to bring in the native peoples, but was represented badly in order to subdue them. I keep thinking there might be a story in there somewhere, but how to you write a story about a goddess? How do you make a main character out of someone so removed from a relatable human being? And if the Greek gods were real, what would be the narrative explanation for their power? How would you write a story based out of a mythology? Hope these ramblings make sense...

Well, following Greek mythological tradition, the pantheon is not that removed from relatable human beings. Unless you're trying to make a big narrative change from most stories involving them, they are incredibly human in thought and morals at least, and the powers tend to not really distance them that much (they're powers that are fairly understandable - much more than most sci-fi and fantasy races, at least. Nothing's very mind boggling or intentionally alien). Generally their power is explained just by their positions (as in, that's just the normal power of their race [with a lot of differences in specialties between the different titans and gods, but mostly about the same level of power], unlike humans). If you're trying to transition and write in between the two mythologies, that might be a bit more complicated (unless there is more information on how the greek mythology incorporated the older mythology into their canon, so to speak, and explained how they were related and such).

#3 User is offline   Allatwan 

• Prime Minister of the Black Moiety
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:01199433

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:24 AM

I agree with Gloa right there.
If you want to have fun comparing gods and such, I suggest you read excerpts of the Ramayana, Mabinogion, Slav epics and such- you'll notice that all Indo-European myths are usually tied to each other thanks to symbols or similar characters. If you were trying to write a story using Greek Gods, then, these myths may help you add more character traits or just add various characters.
I read a few really interesting books about this which I'd highly recommend you, but sadly, they are all in French :/

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users