MYSTcommunity: How did the Stranger REALLY know? - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

How did the Stranger REALLY know? Spoilers

#1 User is offline   Korora 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:13 AM

So. The version of Myst we see is artistic license. So how the m****cript did the Agent know to avoid the Red and Blue Books and take the page? Luck, or some tipoff replaced by the talking panels?

Eudyptula albosignata

#2 User is offline   Almaron 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:57 PM

I think that the Stranger intentionally avoided the Linking Books in the Library, as he had no idea where they would take him. He was already trapped on Myst, the last thing he'd want to do is get further lost.

The next step for him would have been reading the journals on the bookshelf, and using these books to access the Ages that were undoubtedly safe, unlike the Red and Blue books, which had no journals about them. Over time, the Stranger would have seen the damages wrought by Sirrus and Achenar, and quite probably found evidence suggesting they used the Red and Blue books themselves, as Atrus somehow knew they were in there, and yet he wasn't there when they linked.

Finally, the Stranger recovers the lost White Page, through evidence in Sirrus and Achenar's rooms in the various Ages, and goes to K'veer, where he frees Atrus.

As for the fireplace book, it could be that one of Atrus' unseen journals mentioned the use of the Fireplace, and that the Stranger figured things out from one of Atrus' common puzzles.

I think it's also said somewhere that Myst Island should be bigger - the island as we see it in Myst is missing some areas, due to game limitations. That suggests to me that more Books survived than were shown. Selenitic has no connection to Sirrus and Achenar, and that's why it survived their purges. Any uninhabited world without large creatures would have held little interest to Sirrus or Achenar, and thus could have survived, and have merely been made to appear burnt in the Myst game, along with the journals that talked about them (excerpts from several of which were listed on Cyan's website for a while). It's not like Sirrus and Achenar would need to burn the journals, as they had no incriminating evidence, but they'd have needed to be burnt for the game otherwise people would have gotten confused with all the extra useless journals. How the fireplace book got burnt is confusing though...perhaps it got knocked in with the other books?

#3 User is offline   Lostthyme 

• Quab Wrangler
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:00280695

Posted 16 February 2011 - 04:04 PM

Yeah, the really observant Stranger (certainly not me) would notice that both of the brothers were really messed up and can't be trusted. The only option left is to do the exact thing they said not to do and go see their dear father.

#4 User is offline   Kaelri 

• Red Leader
  • Group: Moderator
  • KI number:49612

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:13 PM

I tend to think of the red and blue pages representing clues (journals, letters, records) to the brothers' histories. The "trap" books basically accomplish the same thing, but more directly - a face-to-face oral account makes for a more compelling video game than hitting the stacks. I think Almaron makes a good point, that the "real" Myst, being larger, probably had more Ages, more of Atrus's commentary, and more evidence of the brothers' conquest. In either case, the Stranger's challenge is the same: explore the Ages, analyze the evidence, and decide who to trust.

The only thing I find disappointing about this scenario is that it probably means the Stranger never actually met Sirrus or Achenar, which makes the events of Exile and Revelation a little less impactful. The alternative is the incredibly risky act of visiting Spire and Haven with linking books to Myst - realistically, I'm sure there were a few lying around - and making sure to destroy them as he linked back. He would need to have learned enough about the Art to understand how best to do this, and even then, being totally unfamiliar with the prison Ages and their inhabitants, he'd be at a severe disadvantage. (On the other hand, a physical struggle with the brothers would make a hypothetical Myst movie much more exciting. :D )

#5 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:09 PM

View PostKaelri, on 16 February 2011 - 05:13 PM, said:

I tend to think of the red and blue pages representing clues (journals, letters, records) to the brothers' histories. The "trap" books basically accomplish the same thing, but more directly - a face-to-face oral account makes for a more compelling video game than hitting the stacks. I think Almaron makes a good point, that the "real" Myst, being larger, probably had more Ages, more of Atrus's commentary, and more evidence of the brothers' conquest. In either case, the Stranger's challenge is the same: explore the Ages, analyze the evidence, and decide who to trust.

The only thing I find disappointing about this scenario is that it probably means the Stranger never actually met Sirrus or Achenar, which makes the events of Exile and Revelation a little less impactful. The alternative is the incredibly risky act of visiting Spire and Haven with linking books to Myst - realistically, I'm sure there were a few lying around - and making sure to destroy them as he linked back. He would need to have learned enough about the Art to understand how best to do this, and even then, being totally unfamiliar with the prison Ages and their inhabitants, he'd be at a severe disadvantage. (On the other hand, a physical struggle with the brothers would make a hypothetical Myst movie much more exciting. :D )

There's also looking through the linking panels, which might get some picture of what people are doing (especially if, as it might seem from Myst 4, the linking panels of the trap books were placed slightly differently than those we see [rather than aiming for one special link in cage, placed to look at a nice enticing view]). Also, there is Rime. How it is introduced in realMyst could very well be artistic license too. Instead, it could have been discoverable earlier on (via a journal or something already present, or even other books linking to it), with some codes for the various Ages scattered around (either in one place as Atrus formed a list of the crystal codes, or in various journals as he found them, etc.). By records (journal notes and such) and observation via Rime or linking panels, the Stranger could discover that Sirrus went to one Age and Achenar to the other. It could be possible that the brothers might notice the interference (although Myst 4 suggests they might have been totally oblivious to such things) and try to communicate (after all, Sirrus did know exactly where to position the statue - although that could be partially from asking for the location information, or guessing from where an earlier linking panel was placed).

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users