MYSTcommunity: WARNING: Riven for iOS is awful. - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

WARNING: Riven for iOS is awful. ...in my opinion, anyway.

#1 User is offline   Haxxy 

• rov nee (new person)
  • Group: Member

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:34 PM

I can't believe how much Riven was butchered in its iOS release. Cyan "optimized" the game for the purpose of reducing its size, but oh, my goodness. The video quality is absolutely unbearable. One of the most beautiful games ever made deserves more than 3-4 frames per second in its video sequences. I'd gladly have used up the extra gigabyte it'd take to provide me with the full experience. Anyway, I wasted my money, big time. Please do not make the same mistake.

Sorry to be harsh, but I'm so incredibly disappointed that I feel it's necessary.

#2 User is offline   Kaelri 

• Red Leader
  • Group: Moderator
  • KI number:49612

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:49 PM

I don't have too much experience with iOS devices, but is there any chance that some other app was interfering with Riven and/or using up resources? Maybe another game, or a plugin-heavy webpage choking your processor?

If not, I'm really sorry to hear that. :( Cyan is not known for skimping on quality.

#3 User is offline   aander91 

• Forum game like its 2008
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:00087015

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:48 PM

Woah what?

Good news, I think something else it interfering with the game. I beta tested this and the videos rolled flawlessly, even on an outdated OS and a 1st gen touch.

Got more good news, Cyan is on the ball with bug fixing. Report the bug on the Uru Live forums and I can guarantee they'll find a fix and implement it in the next update if it's a bug in the game.

#4 User is offline   luna 

• meh
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:141809

Posted 24 March 2011 - 01:15 AM

I haven't yet played it a lot but the vids look fine to me, I am on 2 gen ipod touch

#5 User is offline   Haxxy 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:46 AM

View Postaander91, on 23 March 2011 - 11:48 PM, said:

I think something else it interfering with the game. I beta tested this and the videos rolled flawlessly, even on an outdated OS and a 1st gen touch.

I know for certain that this is not the case. Not only have other people complained about it in reviews, but also, certain video sequences are smoother than others. For example, Cyan decided to keep the mag-lev sequences highest quality, but simple things such as opening doors and the sunner animations are horrendous. This isn't a bug. Also, I am on an iPhone 4.

#6 User is offline   aander91 

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:19 AM

You said it's the framerate, right? Again I can promise that the videos played fine before it hit the market.

#7 User is offline   Free Bird 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Admin
  • KI number:343012

Posted 24 March 2011 - 12:37 PM

Didn't you sign an NDA or something?
I mean, I wouldn't know, since I wasn't a beta tester, but given Cyan's modus operandi it seems highly unlikely that they wouldn't let you sign an NDA for this...

#8 User is offline   aander91 

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:27 PM

I don't recall ever agreeing to an NDA before testing.

Why exactly would that be necessary? I'm not really sure how or why me talking about this would be an issue as this is the first thing I've ever tested.

#9 User is offline   Haxxy 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:14 PM

Okay, let me download Riveal and Riven for iOS again, and I'll extract some of the video clips and see how they play on the computer. If there aren't any copyright issues, I'll upload a couple examples of small clips. Perhaps I'll even put them side-by-side with the PC version to emphasize my point.

#10 User is offline   debrotam 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

I don't know, I always did enjoy the graphics of Riven with its superb images, but that wasn't what I played it for. It allowed me to be plunged into the mysterious world of Age Five and to solve all the same puzzles as the original, only in a portable version. Hey, we should be lucky that we can even carry Riven around! Good thing Cyan didn't neglect Riven or forget about it; otherwise we wouldn't have this iOS version in the first place. Sure, the videos are a bit low framerate-wise (although I still don't understand why some of the MagLev videos are very smooth, as well as the cart ride to Boiler Island, when all the rest are jerky and low-framerate) and the photos are a bit pixelly, but think about it: a game that used to be on FIVE DISCS, right in your pocket! I don't know about anybody else, but that's my two cents.

#11 User is offline   033031056 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:16 AM

And now it's out on the IPad as a stand alone version.......and it's really good !

#12 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:19 AM

View Post033031056, on 22 January 2013 - 06:16 AM, said:

And now it's out on the IPad as a stand alone version.......and it's really good !

Would the I-Pad version run on the I-Phone? They are both Apple Products with what is I presume a very similar OS...
Just wondering...

#13 User is offline   033031056 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:33 AM

There are two versions of Riven on the Apple Store.

One is for the IPhone, which will also run on the IPad.
It looks fine on your phone but not so great on the IPad because the screen is bigger and the images were sized for the IPhone display.

The other app is for the IPad only.
The movies and images are of a much better quality than the IPhone version.

Get both !

#14 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

While it's true that iOS is the same on both devices, there are other constraints that affect where apps run. The iPad and iPhone have different screen sizes and different resolutions, and apps look best when sized for the screen of the device you're using. iPhone apps can be scaled up for use on an iPad, but they're going to have a visible hit on quality. Conversely, iPad apps cannot be scaled down onto a phone. So you'd need to buy the phone app for a phone and the tablet app for a tablet, because that's what will look best on the device.

The concerns about software and hardware is also why it can be harder to port to Android, FWIW. With iOS devices, you generally only have 2 (now 3, I guess) screen sizes to worry about; phone size and tablet size. And you can always assume that most people will be on the most recent OS or one OS back, and you can have a solid grasp on what hardware your app will be running on. But with Android, there's a great level of fragmentation on both the hardware side and the software side, which means things aren't that simple. Software-wise, there are still devices running the 2.0 and 3.0 versions of the OS, so you have to figure out how far back you want to be compatible (or even CAN be compatible). And hardware-wise you don't have the same predictability either - for example, many of the free-on-contract devices have underpowered processors and awful resolutions. Do you want to build your game only for top-end phones? Because then that will shut your game out from a massive quantity of devices. Also, people with Android devices tend to actually spend less on purchasing apps. So when you have to consider all of those factors, it often becomes easier to develop for iOS instead; less variables to work with, easier to get on many devices and in many hands, and you have a chance of actually getting paid back.

#15 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

View PostCapella, on 23 January 2013 - 10:26 AM, said:

While it's true that iOS is the same on both devices, there are other constraints that affect where apps run. The iPad and iPhone have different screen sizes and different resolutions, and apps look best when sized for the screen of the device you're using. iPhone apps can be scaled up for use on an iPad, but they're going to have a visible hit on quality. Conversely, iPad apps cannot be scaled down onto a phone. So you'd need to buy the phone app for a phone and the tablet app for a tablet, because that's what will look best on the device.

The concerns about software and hardware is also why it can be harder to port to Android, FWIW. With iOS devices, you generally only have 2 (now 3, I guess) screen sizes to worry about; phone size and tablet size. And you can always assume that most people will be on the most recent OS or one OS back, and you can have a solid grasp on what hardware your app will be running on. But with Android, there's a great level of fragmentation on both the hardware side and the software side, which means things aren't that simple. Software-wise, there are still devices running the 2.0 and 3.0 versions of the OS, so you have to figure out how far back you want to be compatible (or even CAN be compatible). And hardware-wise you don't have the same predictability either - for example, many of the free-on-contract devices have underpowered processors and awful resolutions. Do you want to build your game only for top-end phones? Because then that will shut your game out from a massive quantity of devices. Also, people with Android devices tend to actually spend less on purchasing apps. So when you have to consider all of those factors, it often becomes easier to develop for iOS instead; less variables to work with, easier to get on many devices and in many hands, and you have a chance of actually getting paid back.

Wow! Thanks Capella, that answers all of my questions in one - fantastic thank you. :loveya:

#16 User is offline   033031056 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:15 AM

......and the moral of this story is ?

Save up and buy an IPad.....it's a bit more expensive but you'll always get the apps you want on an IPad.

With Android.....you might get them......maybe......maybe not.........and who wants to live with all that uncertainty ? lol :arianna:

#17 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

View Post033031056, on 24 January 2013 - 05:15 AM, said:

......and the moral of this story is ?

Save up and buy an IPad.....it's a bit more expensive but you'll always get the apps you want on an IPad.

With Android.....you might get them......maybe......maybe not.........and who wants to live with all that uncertainty ? lol :arianna:

I wouldn't phrase it quite like that. There are plenty of reasons to want to have an Android device instead of iOS, not that this is a thread for getting into that. If you do so, I'd recommend not going with one of the free or very low cost options, but to go with something made by and actively promoted by Google - such as the Nexus series of phones and tablets. Those are likely to have powerful hardware and the newest version of the Android OS, which will make them more likely to be able to run resource-demanding apps. It won't solve the issue of "what if what I want hasn't been ported". However, if what you want has been ported, you're going to be more likely to be able to run it on a Nexus device than on a free-on-contract low-end device that AT&T is offering.

Sorry for threadjacking.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users