MYSTcommunity: Things from Book of Ti'ana that have been confusing me - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Things from Book of Ti'ana that have been confusing me

#1 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:40 AM

So I've been wondering about a few things from BoT, but I don't have a copy on hand right this second to look stuff up. So I figured I'd like to see if anyone else has answers to these questions.

Veovis sends gifts to Aitrus to apolgize for mistreating him in school, and Aitrus recalls that he fought Veovis in his thirteenth year. To me, this implies that Aitrus and Veovis were therefore in the same school. However, Gehn starts his Guild training at the age of 4, and he moves into Guild housing with other children of the same Guild. So how do you think Aitrus and Veovis were in the same school at the age of 13?

And actually, that made me consider something else. Aitrus teaches Anna to Write, therefore Aitrus knows how to Write. But Aitrus is a Surveyor, not a Writer. So what would be the point of having a Guild of Writers if any child of any of the Guilds could learn to Write? How does Aitrus learn to make Ages?

#2 User is offline   I'mNotCheating... 

• The Laughing Potatoâ„¢
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:48 AM

I don't recall much about D'ni society, but for the second part of your post, just because there's a guild for something doesn't necessarily mean the activity's restricted to that guild - I'm sure others could have learned about surveying, too, if they'd wanted - but Writing is just a lot cooler. Also, I guess it could have been a cultural heritage thing - lots of people wanting to learn because it was directly linked (no pun intended) to their history.

#3 User is offline   Talashar 

• oglahneth (ancient one)
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:00183867

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:05 PM

View PostCapella, on 11 April 2011 - 10:40 AM, said:

Veovis sends gifts to Aitrus to apolgize for mistreating him in school, and Aitrus recalls that he fought Veovis in his thirteenth year. To me, this implies that Aitrus and Veovis were therefore in the same school. However, Gehn starts his Guild training at the age of 4, and he moves into Guild housing with other children of the same Guild. So how do you think Aitrus and Veovis were in the same school at the age of 13?

Possibly there would have been social interaction between children in different Guilds, especially as they grew older. We only saw Gehn's first term (up to age 8), so maybe later terms were set up differently.

View PostCapella, on 11 April 2011 - 10:40 AM, said:

And actually, that made me consider something else. Aitrus teaches Anna to Write, therefore Aitrus knows how to Write. But Aitrus is a Surveyor, not a Writer. So what would be the point of having a Guild of Writers if any child of any of the Guilds could learn to Write? How does Aitrus learn to make Ages?

I suppose anyone could learn to cook, or take up chemistry as a hobby, but there are still Guilds of Caterers and Chemists. Maybe there are tutors who will teach anyone able to pay the fee, or standard reference works Aitrus could have used to teach himself. But now I'm wondering if Veovis taught Aitrus. That would add some interesting dynamics to the story...

#4 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:43 PM

View PostTalashar, on 11 April 2011 - 12:05 PM, said:

Possibly there would have been social interaction between children in different Guilds, especially as they grew older. We only saw Gehn's first term (up to age 8), so maybe later terms were set up differently.

This is true. I'm still surprised that it does not appear that there is a system of primary education first (general education that all the D'ni kids would need to know before starting a Guild career, sort of like how certain HS courses prep you for college work), but we don't have concrete evidence on that either way.

I suppose anyone could learn to cook, or take up chemistry as a hobby, but there are still Guilds of Caterers and Chemists. Maybe there are tutors who will teach anyone able to pay the fee, or standard reference works Aitrus could have used to teach himself.

You're right about hobbyism versus career path as options. However- and this is subjective- I always got the impression that because Writing was such a high status ability in the eyes of the population, that it would be much more strictly restricted than your average hobby. Factoring in the fact that there's a lot of risk if you make flawed Ages, I tended to presume that it was strictly restricted to the Writers to both prevent things from going horribly wrong and to keep the prestige of the occupation.

But now I'm wondering if Veovis taught Aitrus. That would add some interesting dynamics to the story...

You've hit on my personal theory. I prefer that theory because it feeds into my rabid shipper fangirl mind better than the idea Aitrus taught himself. But yeah, I think that that would serve to accent Veovis' anger at Aitrus teaching Anna to Write- not only is an outsider learning, but Aitrus is tarnishing a gift Veovis gave him by then turning around and giving it to another.

#5 User is offline   Shinkansen 

• Friendly Forum Curmudgeon
  • KI number:00759215

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:31 PM

View PostCapella, on 11 April 2011 - 01:43 PM, said:

You're right about hobbyism versus career path as options. However- and this is subjective- I always got the impression that because Writing was such a high status ability in the eyes of the population, that it would be much more strictly restricted than your average hobby. Factoring in the fact that there's a lot of risk if you make flawed Ages, I tended to presume that it was strictly restricted to the Writers to both prevent things from going horribly wrong and to keep the prestige of the occupation.

I'm guessing, though, that Aitrus' family was not a typical Guild family; Kahlis was Grand Master of the Surveyors, so I'd say that they'd be granted certain privileges, like being able to own and write Ages.

#6 User is offline   Topher Bear 

• shokhootahn (instructor)
  • KI number:06868707

Posted 12 April 2011 - 02:30 PM

Interesting catch there. It looks to me like a failure to link the story up properly. I always did think that opening gifts thing was a story thread that was left hanging, in the end it seemed entirely unnecesary.

If I try to fit the known facts I would say it looks like aitrus started in the writers guild. Maybe it looked from an early age that he had an aptitude for it so they sent him to the writers guild, where veovis bullied him, for coming from an outside guild lower family, so much he was taken out and sent to the surveyors after all.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users