• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

An Indoor Fireplace! And other Relto renovations

#1 User is offline   Zenoc2 

• lontahn (discoverer)
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:01951307

Posted 13 April 2011 - 04:35 PM

Most fun I've ever had in an Age other than Earth? Breaking stuff in my Relto in the name of renovation. :)

I was feeling in the mood for rain today on my little Relto island. Just a nice light rain, so I could get some nice pictures of the water droplets on the orange maple leaves, y'know (not taken with the KI's tiny camera, of course). Of course, what I got when I tapped the page and re-linked was a drizzly downpour. The temperature plummeted, and I had to change out of my new GoMe shirt back into my trusty green jacket. Even then, it was still freezing inside my little hut.

I started thinking of how it stank that my fireplace was on the outside of the stone hut (the wall behind it on the inside does get nice and warm, but water tends to drip through the holes in the fabric shutter on the window just above). Then I thought of all the creative things you other MYSTcommnunity people had written about doing with your Reltos, and I briefly considered moving some coals for a makeshift fireplace inside the hut, but then thought better of it. Doing that would probably leave nasty black marks on the floor, and I didn't really want to move Yeesha's rug to cover those up. That would be lazy.

Finally, my more destructive side gave me just the idea I needed. I went on a search through Ae'gura, and finally, packed away in one of the many crates on the Tokotah rooftop, I found what I was looking for: a sledgehammer.

I linked back to my Relto and, after carefully marking out where the hearth of the fireplace backed up to the wall, I turned off the fireplace page, and knocked a hole in the wall with the sledgehammer. :evil:

I turned the fireplace page back on, re-linked, and voilĂ , I had an indoor/outdoor fireplace! Then all I had to do was put the cover on the outer opening. That little hut warmed up almost instantly. :D

If any of you want the sledgehammer for a similar renovation, let me know; I've been having trouble sneaking it back up to the rooftop without being seen with a potential weapon. :p

(Post your Relto renovations, too! I'd love to hear how you guys have made your islands a little more livable.)

#2 User is offline   foodandart 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:20 PM

I have decided it's all Perils of Pauline on my Relto, and so in fine fashion, I have kicked every loose item I can get my toes on, into the doorway! Why I got sticks and rocks in my Relto I never understood.

#3 User is offline   Cactus Wren 

• shokhootahn (instructor)
  • KI number:01530661

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:57 PM

I've dug up the soil on the far side of my hut, in that narrow space between it and the drop-off, and am planting blackberry canes. I'd put in an apricot tree as well, but from what I've read apricots need frost to set fruit and it doesn't seem to freeze here.

Also, I found a box of Mountain House freeze-dried dinners at Costco, and have brought them to my Relto -- anybody want some? There are two beef stew, two lasagna, three chicken teriyaki, and three beef stroganoff. They're inspectacular but edible and keep indefinitely.

#4 User is offline   Zenoc2 

• lontahn (discoverer)
  • KI number:01951307

Posted 23 April 2011 - 07:17 PM

Mm, I do like beef stroganoff. Actually, I think I have some in my house. I've left my Relto and the other worlds across the linking books for a few days, mostly to catch the Portal 2 release. :D Of course, if anyone wants that sledgehammer, let me know- I still have it, and I need an excuse to visit the Cavern again. :)

I'd never thought of planting anything else on my Relto... I guess it didn't occur to me that I could dig there. It occurred to me that I could smash a hole in my wall, but not that I could dig and plant a few bushes... I think that says something a little disturbing about me. :twitch:

In preparation for the DRC's eventually approving of some explorer-written Ages (has to happen eventually, if they want all these donations to keep pouring in), I've thought of bringing in a little wooden bookshelf that I have. Need some way to secure it, though.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users