• Group: Team Member
  • KI number:00280695

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:08 PM

Second Chances (Prompt 1)

#3 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:43 PM

The First Token, a response to prompt 25.

Some notes on this piece:

-This is the second iteration. The first one was more depressing. Also, it had some extra backstory about the causes of the Fall and the relationships between our protagonists before it that, while providing valuable context, didn't add anything to the story in the now.
-The pairing here is obviously unusual. As some of you may have known or suspected, I'm a Veovis shipper fan. I like Veovis/Aitrus, Veovis/Anna, or Veovis/Aitrus/Anna as pairings pretty much equally. This ficlet gave me a chance to consider how Gehn would have felt about his parents if Anna hadn't raised Gehn alone, I just threw in the twist that Veovis served as the paternal figure instead.
-I left Gehn's actual parentage unsaid because 1.) they're not likely to be able to know for sure and 2.) I think it's interesting how we can see what we want to see in others. Veovis looks for Aitrus because he's discomfited by the areas in which Gehn does resemble him, and also because he misses him. It's more complex of a feeling to deal with.

#4 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:07 PM

View PostLostthyme, on 17 April 2011 - 08:08 PM, said:

I really liked the imagery you use. The way that you parallel the increase of his hopes to the Releeshahn settlement's increase, and the fact that Yeesha is born in the spring as flowers bloom, are wonderful comparisons. I was also amused by Catherine's comment about it taking 20 years before Atrus has to worry- it's the right light-ish beat that's both humorous and perfectly in-character. I could picture Atrus' handwriting when I read the journal entries.

#5 User is offline   Lostthyme 

• Quab Wrangler

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:30 PM

Katran of D'ni (Prompt 2)

Obsessive person that I am, I'm going through these prompts in numerical order. Just thought I would point that out before I got weird looks. Posted Image

View PostCapella, on 18 April 2011 - 04:43 PM, said:

The First Token, a response to prompt 25.

While I don't agree with the relationships in it (I've never been much of a Veovis shipper, anyway Posted Image), as always, your writing was wonderful. Your writing style really draws me in and gets my attention.

#6 User is offline   Zenoc2 

• lontahn (discoverer)
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:01951307

Posted 24 April 2011 - 04:14 PM

View PostLostthyme, on 18 April 2011 - 08:30 PM, said:

My favorite piece so far. I could definitely see Cathrine/Katran writing something like this- it sounds so much like her journals. The last line was perfect. :D

#7 User is offline   Lostthyme 

• Quab Wrangler

Posted 24 April 2011 - 08:34 PM

Torturer (Prompt 3)

It's never really dawned on me just how disgusting the brothers were. I didn't have the heart to make this one any longer. Posted Image

But once you understand how twisted Achenar is, it just makes his redemption in IV all the more amazing.

#8 User is offline   Allatwan 

• Prime Minister of the Black Moiety
  • KI number:01199433

Posted 29 April 2011 - 12:09 PM

I really loved these short fanfics! My favourite ones are Capella's story and LostThyme's second-last one :)
I might participate. It'll depend on my work and whether or not I can finish the other two short stories I started two months ago.
But if I do, I'll be sure to have them edited by one of you before I post it here :)
[edit] I really enjoyed TropherBear's story about Yeesha's first link. Very original and nicely written :)
I finished my second prompt but haven't put up either stories yet. I'd actually rather have some feedback on them first :p I'll be writing the third and fourth stories I have in mind before the end of June, not to worry :) [/edit]

#9 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:48 PM

Response to: Torturer- LostThyme- Prompt 3

I was very creeped out by this one. I am interested by how Sirrus and Achenar become numbed to the suffering they cause, and how they require more and more stimulation in order to feel like anything has meaning. It's definitely a self-destructive cycle they got sucked into. And it's creepy how they need to find bigger and bigger prizes. Makes me glad we left them there in Myst!

Response to: Yeesha's First Link- Topher Bear-Prompt 18

I really liked Atrus' comment about how exposing Sirrus and Achenar to the Books too early warped their minds and made them think of the Ages and all they contained as toys. I think it's a very plausible explanation for their behaviors. It's good to see Atrus not only recognize a problem in his personal style, and actually do something about it. The idea that Yeesha spent some extra time in-between in her first Link is also very interesting, and makes me wonder if maybe that's part of what drove her crazy in the end; maybe there's something in there that turns people a bit off.

Response to: An Ocean Of Memories- Allatwan- Prompt 22

I really like the idea that Katran has a double consciousness when she views Riven, that she cannot help but see it as it was at the same time as she looks at it as it is. I've always thought that she idealized Riven while she was away from it, on Myst with Atrus and their children, and that she had built up this mental image of it in her mind; I don't think it was the kind of idealization where you imagine nothing was wrong with it, because she knows about how nasty Gehn was and how damaging his changes were, but since she was raised there and she loves the place, I imagine she held it lovingly in her memories and framed it in a certain way. Returning to it, when the islands have drifted, when Gehn's changes have become more and more apparent, must have been a great shock and challenge to that mental conception, and I like how you have that manifest in physical confusion, nausea, etc.

#10 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:32 PM

Prompt thread has been updated with 15 new prompts. Many are BoT related. Also, we have a ton of AU prompts. This is not bad, but it would be interesting to see some new canon prompts. Remember, feel free to PM me at any time with new prompts that you've come up with! They'll be added to the list when we get enough for a decent-sized batch.

#11 User is offline   Allatwan 

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:45 AM

View PostCapella, on 16 May 2011 - 02:48 PM, said:

Response to: An Ocean Of Memories- Allatwan- Prompt 22

I really like the idea that Katran has a double consciousness when she views Riven, that she cannot help but see it as it was at the same time as she looks at it as it is. I've always thought that she idealized Riven while she was away from it, on Myst with Atrus and their children, and that she had built up this mental image of it in her mind; I don't think it was the kind of idealization where you imagine nothing was wrong with it, because she knows about how nasty Gehn was and how damaging his changes were, but since she was raised there and she loves the place, I imagine she held it lovingly in her memories and framed it in a certain way. Returning to it, when the islands have drifted, when Gehn's changes have become more and more apparent, must have been a great shock and challenge to that mental conception, and I like how you have that manifest in physical confusion, nausea, etc.

Wown thanks :) However, I must say that I wasn't very creative: I merely described things I felt when I both left India and returned to France for the first time in seven years :p Glad you liked it nonetheless! ^^

#12 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:06 PM

It has been suggested that I split the prompt lists into two lists; one for prompts that could take place in canon, and one for explicitly AU prompts. That way ficcers could focus on which type they want to write, and readers can also sort more efficiently. How does everyone feel about this idea?

It would require minor renumbering of the prompts, redoing of the fic headers, and redoing the TOC, but I could take care of all those things for everyone if we decided to do it.

#13 User is offline   Kaelri 

• Red Leader
  • Group: Moderator
  • KI number:49612

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:42 PM

I'm all for it. Seems like a natural and useful way to improve the organization of the list.

#14 User is offline   Allatwan 

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:01 AM

Personally, I don't think that is where the "organization issue" comes from. I mean, what you could do is space both groups of prompts (as in the first ones and the ones you just added recently) so that the list is less of a block to read. However, separating AU from canon might be another way to "separate" them so that the whole thing is easier to read.
The other thing that is confusing, if I may say so, is the fact that comments, prompt list and prompts themselves are all in different places. However, I'm aware that this can't really be fixed since they do need to be separate :/

#15 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:48 AM

I hadn't realized we were going to get quite this many prompts quite this fast, but apparently I am really good at going on prompt drives. I do agree that a giant long block list of prompts is going to eventually be a pain to read, whether it's split into "canon" and "AU" or split in some other ways. I could potentially go nuts on organizing them and having them sorted by canon and AU, and then within each division sort them by timeline (which would put all prompts about BoT together, about Riven together, etc), which would make about 10 prompt sections and mean that each section had comparatively fewer prompts, but that kind of hyper-specialized organizing would thoroughly break the idea of prompt numbering, and I'm not sure anyone but me would care about having it that organized anyway.

So I think the proposed split into 2 is a good way of keeping the lists slightly managed, but I'm not sure how to make it any more reasonable than that unless I just added a space between each group of, say, 5 or 10 just for readability's sake.

Comments are separate from fic for purpose of not having 5000 separate threads, and it seems that most of the commenters have adapted to the system pretty easily. That one would be hard to fix. We could potentially merge the prompts and fic threads, but the worry there was that eventually we would hit the character limit in the first prompt post. However, we could "reserve" a few posts in a combined thread in case that happened. Anyone in favor of merging the prompts and the submissions into one thread?

#16 User is offline   Allatwan 

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:46 PM

Naw, keep the prompts separated from the comments. That's fine.
And just space out the prompts however you want it to, as long as it's easier to read :D

#17 User is offline   Topher Bear 

• shokhootahn (instructor)
  • KI number:06868707

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:47 AM

Response to torturer prompt 3.

Although a nasty subject, it does sound like what went on from the clues in myst. Though it suggests that achenaar is the really evil one and sirrus was mearly selfish and self absorbed. Perhaps this balances out the reverse portrayal in revelations, which I always felt went against the message from Myst.

Response to second chance, 1

Good story, think you got the aitrus catherine relationship spot on!

Response to first token, 25

I'm sorry, but I don't quite get this story, the writing and imagery is good, just the story. I could never see anna and veovis together, and in this universe I don't see where the fall came from?

Prompts thread. Perhaps they could be seperated into there categories: new in last x months, most popular written about, less popular, and no submissions yet.

#18 User is offline   Talashar 

• oglahneth (ancient one)
  • KI number:00183867

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:47 PM

The Next Beginning, prompt 29

#19 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:06 PM

View PostTalashar, on 24 May 2011 - 06:47 PM, said:

Creepy little ficlet. Sirrus would name a kid after himself, and tell disturbing bedtime stories about his own glory. I really liked this one.

#20 User is offline   Allatwan 

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:48 AM

View PostTalashar, on 24 May 2011 - 06:47 PM, said:

This is my favourite quickfic- no offence to the others, besides there are more to come anyway, so that might change! ^^
But I just wanted to let you know, Talashar, that I LOVED the plot, pace, and tone. Great job! :D

#21 User is offline   Talashar 

• oglahneth (ancient one)
  • KI number:00183867

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:58 PM

Age of Judgment, prompt 17

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users