MYSTcommunity: Computer spontaneously cycles its own power - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Computer spontaneously cycles its own power

#1 User is offline   Korora 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:22 AM

My computer has this unfortunate habit of spontaneously cold-rebooting itself at random. I've already ruled out power-source troubles; what else could it be?

Eudyptula albosignata

#2 User is offline   Kaelri 

• Red Leader
  • Group: Moderator
  • KI number:49612

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:13 AM

Ok, rule of thumb: when you're looking for tech support, there's no such thing as too much information.

First of all, what kind of computer do you have? Desktop, laptop? What operating system? (Mac, Windows, Linux? And which version?) How old is it? What kind of system specs (processor speed, RAM, disk space, video card)?

What's the last new software you installed before this started happening? Do you share the machine with anyone, who might have made other changes you don't know about? Have you attempted a system restore? Booting in safe mode? Have you scanned for malware?

How frequently does the rebooting occur? Does it seem to happen more often at certain times of day, or when you're involved in certain activites (e.g. gaming, watching video, or performance-intensive processes like graphics rendering)? What do you mean when you say you've "ruled out power-source troubles" - how did you verify this?

The more data we have, the better our chances of solving your problem. :)

#3 User is offline   Allatwan 

• Prime Minister of the Black Moiety
  • KI number:01199433

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:31 PM

View PostKorora, on 17 May 2011 - 09:22 AM, said:

My computer has this unfortunate habit of spontaneously cold-rebooting itself at random. I've already ruled out power-source troubles; what else could it be?

Eudyptula albosignata

This used to happen a lot to my former computer. Now, just wondering:
- Do all USB ports function well?
- Does it overheat at all or does it reboot without it being that hot?
- Do all ventilators work?
- Do the sound card and video card work?

If at least two answers are "no", then your computer's CPU might have issues (which is what happened to my computer ><), in which case you should see someone to move whatever you saved in there on an external disk :/

#4 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:08 PM

Eudyptula albosignata

Power down, isolate from the mains (pull the plug out - lol)
Take the back or side panel off (if you feel confident) - push down on all of the memory chips to make sure they are seated properly - do the same with the video card (if it isn't on-board video), repeat the process for any other cards installed.
Put the panels back on, plug in and power up.

If it continues and hasn't started since installing new software or hardware I would suggest either a faulty on/off switch (button) or faulty power supply.

p.s. Power up with the side panel off and make sure that all of the fans (processor fan etc) are working properly, a fan that isn't spinning up could result in overheating and subsequent reboots..

Not saying the above will solve your problem but it's a start...

#5 User is offline   luna 

• meh
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:141809

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:20 PM

View PostJohnraka, on 17 May 2011 - 02:08 PM, said:

Eudyptula albosignata

Power down, isolate from the mains (pull the plug out - lol)
Take the back or side panel off (if you feel confident) - push down on all of the memory chips to make sure they are seated properly - do the same with the video card (if it isn't on-board video), repeat the process for any other cards installed.
Put the panels back on, plug in and power up.

If it continues and hasn't started since installing new software or hardware I would suggest either a faulty on/off switch (button) or faulty power supply.

p.s. Power up with the side panel off and make sure that all of the fans (processor fan etc) are working properly, a fan that isn't spinning up could result in overheating and subsequent reboots..

Not saying the above will solve your problem but it's a start...

While you're doing that, dust it too >.>

#6 User is offline   olddude 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:36 AM

View Postluna, on 17 May 2011 - 02:20 PM, said:

While you're doing that, dust it too >.>

If by "dust it" you mean vacuum with anti-static precautions (plastic nozzle, no brush, lead clipped from metal part of vacuum to computer power supply housing), then yes, you could do that. Absoultely do not wipe with a cloth or brush dust out of the innards of your computer. One little static spark and you can kill the board or RAM.

But that's what luna meant, right? :D

#7 User is offline   luna 

• meh
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:141809

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:12 AM

well, I was more thinking of the fans to be specific, but yeah you should be careful while dusting.

#8 User is offline   Topher Bear 

• shokhootahn (instructor)
  • KI number:06868707

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:47 AM

In my experience, random lock ups and crashes often result of dodgy memory chip. They do fail, especially if they are not a known make.

Way to check memory is if you have two or more cards try using only one and see if problem is worse or gone.

All advice so far is good. Any updates?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users