MYSTcommunity: Netbook issue - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Netbook issue I've seriously no idea what's wrong...

#1 User is offline   Allatwan 

• Prime Minister of the Black Moiety
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:01199433

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:30 PM

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to know if someone might be able to help me with this one, since I have absolutely no idea what's wrong with my netbook, although GoogleChrome might be the issue, who knows :/
Here's the thing: I bought this ASUS netbook just last August and it was working perfectly until three weeks ago. At that point, it would sometimes freeze while I watched videos. The trick was to close it and wait until the screen went dark, then open it again and it would work. The thing is, it's started to do that very often now, nearly each time I'm watching a video, and doesn't always "unfreeze" properly again. I updated Chrome just this evening and yet, it hasn't changed a thing. In fact, now it's started to do it with music I was listening to on this online player! I have also tried to use Internet Explorer instead, but it occurred too.
Does anyone know what the issue is? Should I simply undo some updates and see what was wrong, is there a video card to download from somewhere or is it even more complicated than that? I'm starting to get worried since this is the computer I use to work on a daily basis at school!
Just so you know, it's an EePC that uses Windows 7. And yeah, Chrome's the default web browser. Thanks a lot for taking time to read this.

#2 User is offline   Lostthyme 

• Quab Wrangler
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:00280695

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:49 PM

Do you think it might be Flash player? I know I had a lot of issues with that. It's the only thing I can think of.

#3 User is offline   Allatwan 

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:02 PM

I think so. I've tried to update it several times, though. Do you know where I could download it for Windows 7 or of there's a special way to install it?

#4 User is offline   aander91 

• Forum game like its 2008
  • KI number:00087015

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:02 PM

It just kinda sounds like buffer issues. How good is your connection?

#5 User is offline   Allatwan 

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:45 AM

Unstable. I've changed companies and all, but I think that's basically how all French Wifi connections are, you know. Seriously, I had less issues in the middle of the Spanish Pyrennees than at home in Paris!
The issue probably comes from the fact that my normal "house" connection is constantly interrupted by my outdoor connection (our phone company lets us have this "free outdoor connection" thing) and vice-versa, which forces me to re-connect constantly.
I'd never thought about that, actually. This might be the issue. Thanks Aander!

#6 User is offline   luna 

• meh
  • KI number:141809

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:04 AM

Okay, I might know something that could help you:

Go to "Network and Sharing center" in Control Panel

click on "Manage wireless networks"

right click on one of the house connections , let's say A ( from now on you'll have to connect to this one by hand, so the one you use less maybe)

go to "Properties"

uncheck "Connect automatically when in range" or something like that.

click op "Ok"

Now it won't connect automatically anymore to this network. You'll still have the problem when you're on A though as the other network will still connect automatically (hope you follow this >.>) so you might need to do it for both networks.

Feel free to ask if something is unclear .

#7 User is offline   Topher Bear 

• shokhootahn (instructor)
  • KI number:06868707

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:51 AM

Sounds like your talking about watching videos online. Have you tried watching offline? Work out if it is browser/connection issues or player/netbook issues.

#8 User is offline   Allatwan 

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:44 PM

View PostTopher Bear, on 19 May 2011 - 06:51 AM, said:

Sounds like your talking about watching videos online. Have you tried watching offline? Work out if it is browser/connection issues or player/netbook issues.

Yes, I have done that quite often, and it works fine. It doesn't crash, overheat, freeze or whatever.

@Luna: yup, I did that. But I still need to be close to the server-whatever-you-call-that thing for it not to glitch.

#9 User is offline   luna 

• meh
  • KI number:141809

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:12 AM

View PostAllatwan, on 19 May 2011 - 01:44 PM, said:

Yes, I have done that quite often, and it works fine. It doesn't crash, overheat, freeze or whatever.

@Luna: yup, I did that. But I still need to be close to the server-whatever-you-call-that thing for it not to glitch.

Router probably >.> then it probably has to do with connection strength I would say.

#10 User is offline   Allatwan 

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:01 AM

View Postluna, on 20 May 2011 - 12:12 AM, said:

View PostAllatwan, on 19 May 2011 - 01:44 PM, said:

Router probably >.> then it probably has to do with connection strength I would say.

I guess, because it did it again :p

#11 User is offline   Zenoc2 

• lontahn (discoverer)
  • KI number:01951307

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:07 PM

Is it the whole computer that freezes when this happens? If that's the case, you might have a virus that got in using a Flash player. Try running Malwarebytes on your computer. It usually finds whatever my default antivirus can't.

While we're on the subject, I've thought of another possible issue: does your netbook get hot when you run it? IIRC, Flash is comparatively resource-heavy, and might be causing your computer to overheat and lock up.

#12 User is offline   Allatwan 

Posted 21 May 2011 - 05:40 AM

Thanks, Zenoc2. No, it doesn't overheat, just freezes. I can't use the mouse or anything. The sound, when it's on, either stops with this queer hum, either goes on extremely slowly along with the hum. It's really weird. My antivirus is pretty good, though: it's BitDefender. And it says that my computer's OK (I run a scan on a daily basis, sometimes even twice a day :p).
I'll check that link, though.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users