MYSTcommunity: Alice: Madness Returns - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Alice: Madness Returns

#1 User is offline   Menelmacar 

• telahm (guildsman)
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:02751833

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:12 PM

I'm curious. Has anyone here played it? Enjoyed it? And, more pertinently, was anyone really reminded of the Myst games in places?

#2 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 29 July 2011 - 04:30 AM

Played the original which is brilliant - didn't know about this one until the other day so looking forward to getting it.

#3 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:44 PM

Just bought this yesterday - what a waste of money - a real Turkey, control of Alice is awkward and not a bit like the original - you can use the keyboards to move her around but you also have to use the mouse (which controls the camera view) to line her up properly for jumps etc - awkward, badly thought out and to put it plainly - shoddy!

Add to this a lack of a 'Savegame' facility - games are autosaved at various points - and you find yourself up half the night just trying to get to the next autosave point.
Badly thought out, badly designed - not good!

Visually ok (uses Unreal Technology so no surprises that it looks good) but that's about it.

Save your money, go buy something else instead or just play the original - much much better even if it is fairly old by modern standards.

2/10 - and that's just for the graphics...

#4 User is offline   aander91 

• Forum game like its 2008
  • KI number:00087015

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:44 PM

CONTAINS VULGARITY
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

:/

#5 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:34 AM

View Postaander91, on 31 July 2011 - 05:44 PM, said:

CONTAINS VULGARITY
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

:/

Just had a response from EA - they are sorry that I don't like the controls - the lack of a savegame option is (according to them) quite normal in all games these days - is it? I don't think so.

Basically told them that I would no longer buy their products especially as they can't be bothered to take on board customers feedback and the fact their programmers are too lazy to create simple save and load buttons or address obvious control issues.
Did they ever test this game? I think not....

#6 User is offline   luna 

• meh
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:141809

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:08 AM

Not being able to save yourself is getting more common these days, but in my experience these games have a lot of "checkpoints" or auto save points so it is not a real problem(like every 5-10 minutes in normal gameplay). I actually kinda like it (being one of those people who forget save regularly). It sounds like they messed it up here though, placing the autosave points too far apart.

#7 User is offline   Menelmacar 

• telahm (guildsman)
  • KI number:02751833

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:12 PM

:blink:

Wow. Sorry you loathed it.

On behalf of happier things, I guess.

#8 User is offline   Topher Bear 

• shokhootahn (instructor)
  • KI number:06868707

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:15 PM

View Postluna, on 01 August 2011 - 06:08 AM, said:

Not being able to save yourself is getting more common these days, but in my experience these games have a lot of "checkpoints" or auto save points so it is not a real problem(like every 5-10 minutes in normal gameplay). I actually kinda like it (being one of those people who forget save regularly). It sounds like they messed it up here though, placing the autosave points too far apart.

Auto save is a good feature, but I really would like to have my own control over save games. Thats one think I find unsettling with URU. I know it always know where you were, but sometimes i like to go back to before I mucked up a puzzle big time....run through it properly!

I have recently got Lego Star Wars III on the Wii and I find it really annoying that you cannot save mid-campaign, especially when these can take an hour to complete....meaning I can only play when I know I have at least an hour spare....and thats not often!

I guess its another clash of the Ages, us oldies can't cope with modern ways! :blink: :arianna:

#9 User is offline   Prince Sunner 

• wamakaskanskan

Posted 28 August 2011 - 11:22 PM

Note: I have not played either game, though I've played a demo of the original.

Aw it's sad that the sequel didn't work out. From the demo of the first game, I quickly got annoyed with the fighting and jumping puzzles, so I'm afraid I'd quickly lose interest due to it being a chore to play. "Resident Evil" was a pain to get through but I did so for its lovely graphics. "Conker's Bad Fur Day" was... vulgar, but there was some surprising fun to be had, until it got to a first-person-shooter section that for the life of me I can't get past. I wholeheartedly support the idea of easier games to actually see each level, along with an optional harder difficulty once I'm adept.

What got me interested in the Alice series was the idea of seeing dark and creepy stuff, along with spotting familiar characters in a demented light. Which I would have appreciated if Chester looked like himself from the box art. He just doesn't look creepy enough in the game. The trailer-of-sorts for the first game is brilliant. Trailer for the second one was good too (the actual one, not the teeth-falling-out one), just not quite as good. Guess I have to put American McGee alongside Peter Molyneux then: have them on board as visionaries, but get a competent company to do the actual development. Gameplay is everything.

People don't save anymore? Of course they do! I've had enough pain with Half-Life 1's autosaves which would inconveniently overwrite my manual saves. If I try to quick-restore, it loads an autosave and not a manual save. So if I'm in a situation where I'll be dead in one shot (possible as I might expect a health powerup to be around the corner, then I discover it's not), I will die and then get restored to a checkpoint five minutes ago. If none of my five or so saves are sufficiently far back enough... that's it. I have to start the whole game over because I can't start afresh on a chapter (couldn't enable console because I was running it through Wine on Linux, it crashes when console's enabled for some reason).

*sigh* And you know, occasionally it's the quirky games or movies I tend to like best, like the Sly Cooper series or the film "Fantastic Mr. Fox". Last thing we need is for there to be more safe "blockbuster" games or film game tie-ins. I don't know where the game industry's headed, but I've noticed a lack of games that interest me. So then something promising like this doesn't do that well and it's disappointing.

#10 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:20 AM

I did have a crack at the new Alice and sure enough when I came out of the game (You know, to go back to my normal life and stuff like that...) then went back in the next day - sure enough, the area and obstacles I had covered the day before - had to be covered again!
And the enemies...

What a pain!

This is why Autosave (like this anyway) doesn't work - if it autosaved on exit I wouldn't mind so much as just before any difficult puzzle I could exit to the main menu then go back in again - that is assuming of course that it would let you load from your last saved checkpoint - which of course it doesn't anyway!

Good move EA - when did you stop making games properly?

Oh, and as far as EA support goes?
Not good, took them ages to respond and when they did they offered a refund ONLY if I bought the game online from an Origin store - great, if I wanted my money back I wouldn't have spent it on the game in the first place, what I want is a game that works for me the player, not one that lazy programmers couldn't be bothered to make properly.

And sorry, but they were lazy, it can't be that hard to put a 'Save/load' option in, the awful avatar control aside it is this lack of save/load facility that ruins it for me.

The only plus is that if Alice gets killed she re-appears before the puzzle/enemy that killed her - I suppose I can at least credit EA with getting that bit right!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users