MYSTcommunity: Most of the Myst Online forums have been closed - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Most of the Myst Online forums have been closed and of course this cannot be discussed there. So let's do it here

#1 User is offline   luna 

• meh
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:141809

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:18 AM

http://mystonline.co...p=374946#374946

Chogon said:

Hi all,

I will be making some major changes to the MOUL forum today. The result will be to make the forum more focused on MystOnline and to make it more streamlined and manageable. The forum categories that will be no longer be used will be locked and moved to a read only section.
We hope to have other communication venues for the other Cyan World's products (such the mobile apps) but in the meantime please use the Off-Topic category.

Also, some of you may have already noticed that last week I had started removing most of the hidden usergroups and forums. The few remaining hidden user groups' forums will be locked or made read only.

All of us, both past and present Cyan World employees, would like to thank you for your support.

Thanks,
Chogon

Chogon said:

Ok, now that I have made the changes there has been some question as to where to discuss things that are now in locked categories.
Here is some guidelines (With one eye narrowed, "The code is more what you'd call 'guidelines' than actual rules.")

The Guilds - all the guilds that are still active have their own forums. Events can go in Cavern Events
The Hood of Illusions - can make announcements in the Cavern Events
History and Myths - can go in to Spoiler-Free or Spoilers
Creativity - can go in any other thread that is appropriate.
Open Source discussions can go to OpenUru.org or GuildOfWriters.org. Announcements can be where appropriate.
Cyan World's mobile device apps as well as other Cyan World games can go in Off-Topic

Thanks,
Chogon

For me it confirms my suspicions that Cyan is closing down. Developers have been leaving and now they do not seem that interested in OS anymore( although they were thinking about away to submit patches earlier). I wonder though what made them act now, while they appear to have closed some deals like the news about using Myst software in class(http://mystonline.co...pic.php?t=24940) and a deal with Impulse(alike GoG and Steam, http://mystonline.co...pic.php?t=24982) and they were hinting about releasing another mystgame with the movie.

What do you think?

#2 User is offline   Topher Bear 

• shokhootahn (instructor)
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:06868707

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:48 AM

I don't frequent the moul forums. Too busy. When I mentioned this at the weekend during our gathering a comment was made that it was probably best, the moderating was a bit dodgy.

From chogons message it does sound like they have also decided it has gotten out of control, and this is an attempt to bring things back under control. By streamlining and concentrating it on uru live it can be more easily maintained. It may not mean anything from Cyan. Also if they are getting more interested in education, they may want thier own controlled forums to be clearly family friendly.

It could be that they want to spend less time managing it, which could mean that they are running out of money, though they have that counter which suggests otherwise, or it might mean they have other projects which require more time. After all they didn't want to spend time discussing cannon history with the movie guys recently.

We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

Didn't know about new myst game with the movie, find it hard to believe, they wanted to kill it off with EoA.

#3 User is offline   luna 

• meh
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:141809

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:24 AM

Moderating does get out of control but the sensible option of simply firing the moderator who makes it get out of control /every/ time doesn't seem to have occurred to them yet. So if this is an attempt to get things under control, it is a rather bad one.

#4 User is offline   Free Bird 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Admin
  • KI number:343012

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:46 PM

Indeed the veralunacy can be stopped rather easily. Everybody knows whom this is about anyway, so there's no need to be hypocritical about it. The fact that Cyan has failed to act properly after everything that went by shows that they almost certainly won't take decisive action in the future either.

Incidentally, I don't think Cyan's closing down. It might be for the better if they did, though.

Yeah, I've become rather cynical lately, but I just fail to see what the company currently known as "Cyan Worlds" has to do with the Cyan I used to know and love.

#5 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:54 PM

The streamlining of the forums makes sense as a practical perspective; it's the Myst Online website, so yes, the forums should really be about Myst Online, and though that excludes a few other Cyan projects it does make sense. The moderation issue is totally different though, and I don't see how changing forum structure solves the fundamental power of a single individual running amok.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users