MYSTcommunity: Rand Q&A in Kirel (5/19/12 at 2:30 PM EST) - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Rand Q&A in Kirel (5/19/12 at 2:30 PM EST)

#1 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:47 PM

There's a Rand Miller question and answer session today May 18th, in Kirel, at 2:30 PM EST (which means right now) until around 3:30 PM EST. I should have posted about this earlier, but I was only reminded about it a short time ago. Since I dunno if any of you can link in now (Kirel's pretty busy!), I figured the least I could do would be to post anything good while it's going on, and link later to an official chatlog.

Live updates:

-Q: Will the new realMYST ever be on any non-iOS systems? (Since it was made with Unity, which can make cross-platform games.)

A: "it seems fairly easy to consider undated versions for Mac and PC; just not as sure for Android".
Ed note: I assume he means "updated".

-Q: iPad version of Riven?
A: Cyan is "making progress with an iPad version."

-Q: Will Myst 3 and Myst 4 ever be made available through venues like Steam?
A: Cyan is trying to get the "right people to say okay" to allowing this.

-Q: Would Cyan do a Kickstarted to fund games?

A: Cyan has "gotten so much feedback from fans and friends encouraging us to do it", but that there are two issues. One issue is which project to propose. Apparently they're considering two ("one Myst related and one completely new"). The second is that "we need to get enough money from realMYST to fund a good Kickstarter proposal with some great artwork and a convincing video".

-Q: Will MOUL ever have any plot?
A: Rand would like there to be some plot in MOUL in the future, but it's not likely to happen in the near future because of resources. However, he would "like nothing more than to see some new stuff happening in MOUL."

-Q:Did Cyan had ever had long-term plans for letting players build and change Ages?
A: Rand said that "the first step was just simple customization- like you see in the Reltos." Then people could have "options in adjusting params of books." Eventually, there would have been a Nexus that linked to explorer created Ages, and Guilds such as the Maintainers and the Cartographers would have gotten to help check them for safety and map them. The idea of having two Nexi was so that "explorers would know that they were linking to Ages from "new" writers."

-Q: Any news on the Myst movie?
A: Apparently Hollywood swings between momentum and lulls. Some interest was there a few weeks ago, but not it's quiet. Rand says "it's a slow process, and not one I understand very well. But we're cautiously optimistic."

-Q: What Ages would you like to live on in real life?
A: Garrison. Possibly Minkata because of "wide open spaces". Maybe Teledahn, but "too muggy".

-Q: Any update on content licensing for Open Source?
A: "We are continuing to work on more and more opening of open source. I'm sorry for the slow progress, but we've got some ideas to speed things up a bit."

This post has been edited by Capella: 19 May 2012 - 01:51 PM
Reason for edit: adding more info

#2 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous

Posted 19 May 2012 - 01:10 PM

View PostCapella, on 19 May 2012 - 12:47 PM, said:

"we need to get enough money from realMYST to fund a good Kickstarter proposal with some great artwork and a convincing video".

Between Cyan's announcement that realMYST for PC and Mac may soon follow the iOS version, and the comment that realMYST sales would help Cyan have the money to make a Kickstarter proposal, I think that we all know what to do, and that's buy the new realMYST as much as we can!

Also, which proposal would people prefer? Do we want to see Cyan do something totally new? Or do we want to see more Myst? Personally, I'd like to see more Myst. Obviously, I really love the world, and I want to see more stuff set in it and expanding it. I also feel that Cyan doesn't have as much of a name recognition anymore, and that as a result, a new Cyan project might not be funded. On the other hand, Myst is a well-known name, and being able to capitalize on that brand directly might get them significantly more funding.

#3 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:20 PM

Here is the raw chatlog.

There were some parts I forgot to cover while recapping during the event. My favorite was the discussion of other things they would have done, had they time:

(05/19 14:17:10) Trekluver: What kind of content that Cyan was working on for MOULa that did not get completed? We know about Kahlo, but were there others too?
(05/19 14:18:03) Rand: There was quite a bit actually. Kahlo was a favorite around the office, but we had a few very cool...
(05/19 14:18:53) Rand: multiplayer coop and competitive ages. One was like an extensive capture the flag game...
(05/19 14:20:08) Rand: We had an underwater lab area that was amazing. A small ages that was covered in water - and was...
(05/19 14:21:01) Rand: actually spherica so you could explore the entire world. At some point we had a crazy...
(05/19 14:21:35) Rand: world with large birds that players would ride in a simulated battle. And we had designs for a...
(05/19 14:22:05) janaba: awwwww
(05/19 14:22:21) Rand: frozen world that was called something like Ice Runner where players would build and ride...
(05/19 14:22:25) ahlisendar notices that he's drooling
(05/19 14:22:33) janaba: lol
(05/19 14:22:50) AgeExplorer: Nice visions :)
(05/19 14:22:56) Rand: these ice gliders across the surface of ice for racing or just delivering stuff.

I would have loved to see riding birds in simulated battle. I'm not sure my avatar-self would enjoy that, but I would. The underwater lab, otoh, is an awesome concept, but would make me wet myself in fear.

#4 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:31 PM

View PostCapella, on 19 May 2012 - 01:10 PM, said:

View PostCapella, on 19 May 2012 - 12:47 PM, said:

"we need to get enough money from realMYST to fund a good Kickstarter proposal with some great artwork and a convincing video".

Between Cyan's announcement that realMYST for PC and Mac may soon follow the iOS version, and the comment that realMYST sales would help Cyan have the money to make a Kickstarter proposal, I think that we all know what to do, and that's buy the new realMYST as much as we can!

Also, the new realMYST looks amazing.

Also, which proposal would people prefer? Do we want to see Cyan do something totally new? Or do we want to see more Myst? Personally, I'd like to see more Myst. Obviously, I really love the world, and I want to see more stuff set in it and expanding it. I also feel that Cyan doesn't have as much of a name recognition anymore, and that as a result, a new Cyan project might not be funded. On the other hand, Myst is a well-known name, and being able to capitalize on that brand directly might get them significantly more funding.

Yeah, the name recognition of Myst is a pretty big thing for getting funding. They really could use a breakthrough with a new idea of some sort, and I don't really see what they'd do with Myst (that's different enough to get a bigger audience than just the old fans, but similar enough to keep the old charm [a problem a lot of people seemed to have had with Cosmic Osmo: Hex Isle]) - unless maybe it was something Uru related... but the reliable old brand and name recognition of MYST is a big issue for a little hardly known firm like Cyan Worlds.

I would personally prefer something new, as long as it was more than just an app style game. Something fresh and whimsical without the need to fit into the larger and quite filled-in canon and feeling of Myst.

#5 User is offline   Jevasi 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Member

Posted 20 May 2012 - 04:21 PM

Awww Man! I go off to a Nano Manufacturing Techniques Program over the summer and something like this finally decides to happen.
Oh Well.
Personally for the kickstarter project I'd love to see something new in the vein of LATUS but I can imagine that brand recognition could play a large role in the success of the venture and thus something Myst related would be beneficial. I guess I'm not quite sure what I would like to see, though I can't wait to get the updated version of Real Myst. Finally I can run it without headaches.
P.S. Age ideas like that are what I had always dreamed of seeing in Uru Live. Hmmm... Anyway back to studying up on safety procedures and Vacuum systems for my quiz tomorrow.

#6 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:10 PM

View PostJevasi, on 20 May 2012 - 04:21 PM, said:

Personally for the kickstarter project I'd love to see something new in the vein of LATUS but I can imagine that brand recognition could play a large role in the success of the venture and thus something Myst related would be beneficial. I guess I'm not quite sure what I would like to see, though I can't wait to get the updated version of Real Myst. Finally I can run it without headaches.

Yeah, a non-Myst thing would have to be really compelling - and probably very MYST-like - to get as good of funding as really anything Myst related.

What really do we know of LATUS? I wonder if whatever that was is still an idea sitting around in their heads, or if we could ask to finally figure out what that could have been.

P.S. Age ideas like that are what I had always dreamed of seeing in Uru Live. Hmmm... Anyway back to studying up on safety procedures and Vacuum systems for my quiz tomorrow.

Yeah, the Ages sounded awesome. It seems sort of like they realized too late a need for a lot of game-like Ages (or they were just harder to make and thus slower in production, or they needed the basics for a storyline set in to begin with) to keep attention up in between story elements and new puzzle sections.

I wonder what was so amazing about the underwater lab.

#7 User is offline   Jevasi 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Member

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:00 AM

What really do we know of LATUS? I wonder if whatever that was is still an idea sitting around in their heads, or if we could ask to finally figure out what that could have been.

I know that Rand talked about it during the Q and A session at Mysterium, you can find it Here @ 41:10. He mentioned it as involving time travel and making small changes that would have consequences that impact the surroundings. I think some of the games he talked about in the beginning of the video might be what they are thinking about for the kickstarter.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users