MYSTcommunity: GOG version compared to original DVD - MYSTcommunity

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1

GOG version compared to original DVD

#1 User is offline   Cocovanna 

  • choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member
  • Posts: 91
  • Joined: 17-June 07

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:53 AM

I've noticed that gog.com has released Uru CC. But but but ... The file size is about 1.7G compared to the original 2DVD set! Has anyone compared these two?

(I'm worried because I recently succeded in getting the original Win95 Riven DVD to work in a virtual pc 2007 under Win 7 64 bit, and the difference is HUGE, compared both to the gog and the 10th anniversary version, especially in the video sequences).

I suppose, but haven't tried yet, that the oiginal Uru still works in Win 7, but just in case ...
0

#2 User is offline   Johnraka 

  • Rivenworld Creator
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • Posts: 926
  • Joined: 29-August 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Kalazire & London, England

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:29 PM

View PostCocovanna, on 26 May 2012 - 08:53 AM, said:

I've noticed that gog.com has released Uru CC. But but but ... The file size is about 1.7G compared to the original 2DVD set! Has anyone compared these two?

(I'm worried because I recently succeded in getting the original Win95 Riven DVD to work in a virtual pc 2007 under Win 7 64 bit, and the difference is HUGE, compared both to the gog and the 10th anniversary version, especially in the video sequences).

I suppose, but haven't tried yet, that the oiginal Uru still works in Win 7, but just in case ...



In what way is the difference huge? In terms of quality or screen size or...?
0

#3 User is offline   Cocovanna 

  • choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member
  • Posts: 91
  • Joined: 17-June 07

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:46 AM

View PostJohnraka, on 26 May 2012 - 03:29 PM, said:

View PostCocovanna, on 26 May 2012 - 08:53 AM, said:

I've noticed that gog.com has released Uru CC. But but but ... The file size is about 1.7G compared to the original 2DVD set! Has anyone compared these two?

(I'm worried because I recently succeded in getting the original Win95 Riven DVD to work in a virtual pc 2007 under Win 7 64 bit, and the difference is HUGE, compared both to the gog and the 10th anniversary version, especially in the video sequences).

I suppose, but haven't tried yet, that the oiginal Uru still works in Win 7, but just in case ...



In what way is the difference huge? In terms of quality or screen size or...?


Quality. The stills look smoother in the original, and the videos are very pixelated in the gog version (the underground ride through yellow rings for example)
0

#4 User is offline   Johnraka 

  • Rivenworld Creator
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • Posts: 926
  • Joined: 29-August 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Kalazire & London, England

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:38 AM

View PostCocovanna, on 27 May 2012 - 03:46 AM, said:

View PostJohnraka, on 26 May 2012 - 03:29 PM, said:

View PostCocovanna, on 26 May 2012 - 08:53 AM, said:

I've noticed that gog.com has released Uru CC. But but but ... The file size is about 1.7G compared to the original 2DVD set! Has anyone compared these two?

(I'm worried because I recently succeded in getting the original Win95 Riven DVD to work in a virtual pc 2007 under Win 7 64 bit, and the difference is HUGE, compared both to the gog and the 10th anniversary version, especially in the video sequences).

I suppose, but haven't tried yet, that the oiginal Uru still works in Win 7, but just in case ...



In what way is the difference huge? In terms of quality or screen size or...?


Quality. The stills look smoother in the original, and the videos are very pixelated in the gog version (the underground ride through yellow rings for example)


Aah, now you come to mention it I have noticed the pixelated movies but thought it was my card...

Considering I am making mousemats, cups etc it might be worth me pulling the images from the DVD version not the installed GOG version - thanks for the heads-up...
0

#5 User is offline   luna 

  • meh
  • Group: Team Member
  • Posts: 645
  • Joined: 30-March 09
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Whenever?
  • KI number:141809

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:01 AM

Do you mean it is was 2 DVDs as in one for ABM and one for POTS? Because they may not have been "full". Apart from that it appears to be the download size, GoG still advises to have 2.5 GB free on the HDD so they probably did some compression and extract things on install.
0

#6 User is offline   Cocovanna 

  • choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member
  • Posts: 91
  • Joined: 17-June 07

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

View Postluna, on 28 May 2012 - 12:01 AM, said:

Do you mean it is was 2 DVDs as in one for ABM and one for POTS? Because they may not have been "full". Apart from that it appears to be the download size, GoG still advises to have 2.5 GB free on the HDD so they probably did some compression and extract things on install.


I don't know where it splits, you cannot choose to install 1st DVD only. I'm pretty sure the DVD contents are compressed too, I'll check how much the installed size is.

And the gog version s CC too, i.e. It includes PotS
0

#7 User is offline   Cocovanna 

  • choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member
  • Posts: 91
  • Joined: 17-June 07

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:00 AM

OMG This is kind of embarrassing ... I assumed it was DVDs, it is not :-( The total file size of the two CDs is about 1.1G ... and the installed size after playing, excluding saved files etc. Is about 2.7G ... so they are probably totally all right! My apologies to GoG for the mistake!
0

#8 User is offline   Johnraka 

  • Rivenworld Creator
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • Posts: 926
  • Joined: 29-August 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Kalazire & London, England

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:33 PM

View PostCocovanna, on 28 May 2012 - 11:00 AM, said:

OMG This is kind of embarrassing ... I assumed it was DVDs, it is not :-( The total file size of the two CDs is about 1.1G ... and the installed size after playing, excluding saved files etc. Is about 2.7G ... so they are probably totally all right! My apologies to GoG for the mistake!


Did a side by side comparison of extracted DVD files and GOG files - in terms of quality and actual file info they are identical, didn't look into the QTime movies though.

Just as well to check though as I have heard that 'a' particular version of Riven (don't know which one) had image files that hadn't been quite so compressed as other versions so the image quality would be slightly better - given that Cyan had high quality images to start with and had to reduce the size (and obviously quality) to fit them onto the CD's it didn't seem beyond the realms of possibility.

Not to worry, if we don't ask these questions we never find out - still doesn't explain my pixelated movies though - unless there is a problem with my Graphics card - hope not, that would be a 1Gb paperweight I can do without lol.
0

#9 User is offline   luna 

  • meh
  • Group: Team Member
  • Posts: 645
  • Joined: 30-March 09
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Whenever?
  • KI number:141809

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:08 PM

View PostJohnraka, on 28 May 2012 - 12:33 PM, said:

Not to worry, if we don't ask these questions we never find out - still doesn't explain my pixelated movies though - unless there is a problem with my Graphics card - hope not, that would be a 1Gb paperweight I can do without lol.


Screen resolution? The movies might have been prerendered at 800 x 600 or something.
0

#10 User is offline   Cocovanna 

  • choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member
  • Posts: 91
  • Joined: 17-June 07

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:27 AM

View PostJohnraka, on 28 May 2012 - 12:33 PM, said:

Not to worry, if we don't ask these questions we never find out - still doesn't explain my pixelated movies though - unless there is a problem with my Graphics card - hope not, that would be a 1Gb paperweight I can do without lol.


Just to be precise: The HUGE difference I've observed and the pixelated movies are Ríven differences

I haven't tried GoG Uru, so I can't speak of differences here (and do not suppose there are any).
0

#11 User is offline   Johnraka 

  • Rivenworld Creator
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • Posts: 926
  • Joined: 29-August 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Kalazire & London, England

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:00 AM

View PostCocovanna, on 29 May 2012 - 12:27 AM, said:

View PostJohnraka, on 28 May 2012 - 12:33 PM, said:

Not to worry, if we don't ask these questions we never find out - still doesn't explain my pixelated movies though - unless there is a problem with my Graphics card - hope not, that would be a 1Gb paperweight I can do without lol.


Just to be precise: The HUGE difference I've observed and the pixelated movies are Ríven differences

I haven't tried GoG Uru, so I can't speak of differences here (and do not suppose there are any).



Ah, so from the sound of it I need to get a Win95 DVD version of the game and extract the files from that - anything that gets me higher resolution images from the game has to be a plus - thanks for that, I will search on EBay and Amazon now.
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1


Fast Reply

  

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users