MYSTcommunity: Myst games in Lion - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Myst games in Lion

#1 User is offline   iPenguin 

• lontahn (discoverer)
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:54 AM

I don't know how many Mac users still frequent these boards, but I figured I might give it a shot. I upgraded one of my computers to Lion earlier this year, not realizing at the time that Apple had discontinued its Rosetta emulation of old PowerPC software. Most of the programs affected by this either have had updates since then or aren't very useful anymore, although there are notable exceptions. Old games seem to be most affected by this because they are the least-likely to be upgraded.

Has anyone out there seen a patch or a work-around that would allow Lion users to still play any of the old Myst games?

#2 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:42 PM

How much RAM and what Mac do you have? There are a few potential solutions, depending on how tech-savvy you want to get.

-use a solution such as Parallels, VMWare Fusion, or VirtualBox to set up a Windows installation, install and play the games there
-Use BootCamp to install a Windows partition, boot into it, play there
-Use Wine, wrap the Windows versions, and play them that way
-Use CrossOver Games to install the games, play there
-use PlayonMac to install and play

Most of these require cash outlays of varying types. This is, unfortunately, what happens when you switch fundamental underlying architecture. PlayonMac is a free option and skips the technical complexity of installing and running Wine, so if you don't want to do a ton of fiddling and risk messing up your machine, that's my recommendation.

#3 User is offline   iPenguin 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

Thanks I'll check that out! I'm thinking another option I could do would be to install an older Mac OS onto an external hard drive and boot from there if I want to play an old game...

#4 User is offline   zib_redlektab 

• rov nee (new person)
  • Group: Member

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

Hey, I know this is a pretty old thread, but it's exactly what I came here to post about. I've had some amount of success getting realMyst and Exile up and running on Mountian Lion (the same approaches will work for Lion, I am sure). The original Myst is giving me all sorts of trouble, but I am about to make another attempt on that front. Riven is easy, thanks to RivenX. Beyond these, I have not yet tried to run anything, but I am very hopeful.

If you want help getting any of these games running on a Mac, I'd be happy to help you get set up. :)

#5 User is offline   olddude 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:02 AM

You can find patched installers for Myst III & IV here. Both work in Mt Lion. The Myst V patch did not. See the More info link about what doesn't work in Exile. In my installation the hand cursor doesn't quite appear the way it should in Myst IV but it works.

http://dl.dropbox.co...Myst/index.html

#6 User is offline   Estari 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:53 PM

View Postzib_redlektab, on 26 December 2012 - 11:46 AM, said:

Hey, I know this is a pretty old thread, but it's exactly what I came here to post about. I've had some amount of success getting realMyst and Exile up and running on Mountian Lion (the same approaches will work for Lion, I am sure). The original Myst is giving me all sorts of trouble, but I am about to make another attempt on that front. Riven is easy, thanks to RivenX. Beyond these, I have not yet tried to run anything, but I am very hopeful.

If you want help getting any of these games running on a Mac, I'd be happy to help you get set up. :)

Saw your message, and I need help getting Myst 3 Exile to work on Mountain Lion for my Mom's big screen iMac computer. What tricks did you use to get it working?
I haven't gotten to play it on a big screen monitor with a mac in years, It would be so nice to see that beautiful graphic quality again along with the movies working properly.
My Mom's computer is version osx 10.8.5

Thank you
Estari

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users