MYSTcommunity: Neighborhoods in D'ni - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Neighborhoods in D'ni brought on by your Friendly MC Gathering

#1 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:55 PM

A few of us were hanging out in MC's neighborhood today, and we started talking about the purpose of the neighborhoods. (The purpose they had in D'ni, that is, not the purposes that modern explorers are putting them to.) Some really great points were brought up by Kaelri and Talashar, so I thought I'd start a thread here that people can chime in on.

Here's what we know for sure:

-They are community spaces
-They are residential
-They are on the wall of the cavern, not in the city proper

Things we realized we don't know:

-What kind of people lived in neighborhoods? Were they tied to a certain socioeconomic class, to Guild members, to religious groups?
-About how many people lived in a neighborhood?
-Did they have any access to the rest of the cavern that wasn't via Book?
-What kind of variation exists between hoods? Are all hoods as identical as we see in-game, or do some vary significantly (not just mirrored or in different color scheme, but losing major features, such as the Egg Room maybe being replaced by something else)

#2 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:11 PM

The DRC Research on Class System is useful if we're going to talk about who might have lived in hoods. The hoods we see have a decent number of amenities;
-a classroom
-An auditorium
-A religious chamber (the Egg Room's floating seed and private rooms seem to be a chapel/church equivalent
-Two recreation and gathering areas (the garden/heek table area and the fountain courtyard).

That's not even including the advantage of having a Book Room, since access to Ages was a status symbol. (Although, as Kaelri pointed out in-Cavern, it's quite possible that that room acted mostly as a way to get into the main cavern, since we have no easily observable way of getting down to water level to take a boat across to the main city. Which is not to say there isn't one; I hypothesized that one of the doors that we can't get into leads to a tunnel down to the water level for a ferry.)

These amenities taken together seem to indicate a pretty high level of wealth in the community. That makes me think that the hoods are the areas of the Upper Class, because if they have money and are running prominent services like banks or pubs, you can afford a nice miniature estate area. Middle Class is a possibility if it's a shared-wealth thing (alone, members could not afford those perks; a group of 8-10 together, pooling their resources, could afford a nice communal area that everyone could share, and multiple people might be able to have an Age or two to share); the fact that Middle Class had much of the Minor Guild enrollment makes me see this as this plausible.

#3 User is offline   Lostthyme 

• Quab Wrangler
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:00280695

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:24 PM

From what I remember from BoT, there was severe class distinctions that probably led to neighborhoods being split by class. The whole setup with the Bevin/Kirel mirrored thing was probably just for easier design in the game and not actually representative of what things would actually have been like.

Then again, I don't have any sources for any of this. It's just what feels right to me.

#4 User is offline   Talashar 

• oglahneth (ancient one)
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:00183867

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:36 PM

I'm not fond of the idea that the D'ni built hundreds of identical neighborhoods, and prefer to think that there are significant differences IC. As long as instances are treated IC, I'd actually prefer that they all be instances of the single Bevin, but that's been ruled out, apparently. :mellow:

The classrooms in particular interest me. Were they for informal education of children under five, or did the Common Schools have local sites in each neighborhood? (Private education seems unlikely, as according to the Ji notebook it was attempted but never caught on.)

#5 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:37 PM

I agree with LostThyme that neighborhoods would differ by class and with Talashar that there are many different types of neighborhood. I wrote both my posts above under the assumption that I'm analyzing only one neighborhood (the one that MC has), and I'm going to try to stick to that theory whenever possible. So, when looking at the hood many of us have on our shelves in-game, I'm trying to figure out what types of people lived in this particular one, and from there trying to extrapolate out how it might have changed if it belonged to different groups.

All we really know about non-Guild schooling is that the minor Guild of Educators taught children, right? So maybe it was a traveling system, and that's why (some) neighborhood had classrooms; it seems like, transportation-wise, it would be easier to move one teacher in to teach several students then to shuttle several students to a classroom outside the hood.

#6 User is offline   Topher Bear 

• shokhootahn (instructor)
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:06868707

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:56 AM

from BoT i would say that there was little linking going on, this was reserved for public library areas or rich individuals own 'gardens'. i am sure tat travel around cavern would have been via boat and walking not linking. not least because they had not yet learnt to link within an age. to travel from hood to Aeguira would have required am intermediate age. i know we have the nexus in live, but i don't think it was there in the books. i am sure they would have travelled by boat as did Aitrus and (forgotten his name, the writer who turned bad) to get to K'veer. so there must be a small jetty below somewhere.

#7 User is offline   Free Bird 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • KI number:343012

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:11 PM

Artistic license is probably the reason why all hoods look the same in Uru. The Nexus, however, may very well have been a normal part of daily life for the D'ni. Just because it wasn't mentioned in the books doesn't mean it didn't exist. Of course the exact details (how many different rooms there were, etc.) are a bit vague, but conceptually I don't see why it couldn't have been done that way.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users