MYSTcommunity: Crash to Desktop - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Crash to Desktop Myst V in XP

#1 User is offline   FroggieLuvzMacs 

• rov nee (new person)
  • Group: Member

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:17 PM

I can't get Myst V to run. When I launch the game, I get a disc cursor, the resolution changes, screen goes blank, then back to desktop at previous resolution. No error message, nothing. I found a similar issue on the Ubisoft forums but they didn't have a solution yet. I did try the suggestion made here but no change.

Here's what I've tried:
After initial install, errored with "missing binkw32.dll" I found the dll and manually installed it in the EoA folder.
Deleted vpd.properties file.
Tried running in compatibility mode (2000) - side note, is that the "Myst V" app or the "eoa" app? (I set both)
Tried a different cd/dvd drive.
Restarted system after each step.
All above results in the same crash to desktop.
Checked the "detectionui_r" tool, all green checks.

Any ideas how to get this working?

System:
Windows XP Pro (booted on Mac via Bootcamp)
nVidia 8800GT
4GB ram
DirectX 9.0c
EoA is installed in Program Files folder.

Using cd version of EoA. Note: disc 01 is slightly scratched, I did try to fix it...no change.

Edit: don't know if it's related, but I have noticed a significant slow down since the last avg update.
Edit#2: I also get (on bootup) a dialog to Myst V Registration, but win doesn't know what program to use.
This error also comes up (started before EoA install)"Multimi" is not responding and needs to close

09/05/2012 Update: I tried downloading a no cd crack...still no change, same blank screen back to desktop. Was going to try another re install but now the uninstaller is missing and the "add/remove programs" utility in win can't remove either. ! Did I just totally break it?!

#2 User is offline   FroggieLuvzMacs 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:48 PM

Are there any known programs (other than virtual drives) that conflict with Myst 5?

#3 User is offline   FroggieLuvzMacs 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:14 AM

Update: I finally got it to work. I ran the installer (again!) this time with my virtual drives disabled and my av software disabled. So for now, I can play. YAY!!! :blinky: :linking:

#4 User is offline   Almaron 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:33 AM

Hmm...this sounds a lot like what happened to me when I tried to load Uru after having my computer sent to the shop...and they did replace the virus scanner, come to think of it! I'll have to give this a try at some point.

#5 User is offline   Topher Bear 

• shokhootahn (instructor)
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:06868707

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:20 AM

i can't say about Myst installs and avg but ditched using avg a year or so ago when a meaty update caused my laptop to slow right down. it was an older machine no was low on power, and it became virtually unusable. i switched to avira, which gives me a pop up advert from time to time but far less intrusive than the resource hog avg became!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users