MYSTcommunity: Riven on Android - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Riven on Android via ScummVm

#1 User is offline   FroggieLuvzMacs 

• rov nee (new person)
  • Group: Member

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:24 PM

Anybody been able to get this to work? I'm using the (pc) files from my dvd copy of Riven in the ScummVm emulator. I've already installed the Mohawk plug in. Scumm will add the game but when I try to open it, I get an error message. The first message says "Warning, the game you are about to start is not yet fully supported..." if I click "start anyway" I get "game data not found." I have the same problem with Myst ME.

So my question is, has anyone been able to get Riven to work on Scumm or should I ask this over in their forums? I'd like to bring Myst/Riven wherever I go and my tablet would be the easiest way.

My specs are:
Acer Iconia Tab A200
Android 4.0.3
16GB internal
1GB ram

PC files from dvd edition of Riven

Edit: sorry, I put this in the wrong place, maybe the moderators can move it to the Tech support forum?

#2 User is offline   Zenoc2 

• lontahn (discoverer)
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:01951307

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:22 AM

You know, I actually have gotten it to work on my Asus Transformer TF101, but I had a little difficulty getting to run, too. I'll have a look tomorrow if I get the chance to see which files I copied.

#3 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

View PostZenoc2, on 02 October 2012 - 12:22 AM, said:

You know, I actually have gotten it to work on my Asus Transformer TF101, but I had a little difficulty getting to run, too. I'll have a look tomorrow if I get the chance to see which files I copied.

If you can get it to work on an Android Tablet I would love to know how, I have been trying to find a way for some weeks now...

#4 User is offline   Zenoc2 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:55 PM

I think I actually ended up downloading a nightly build of ScummVM for Android to get it to work- the version number on my screen reads:
1.6.0git264-gc6c7b16 (Aug 11 2012 04:10:33)

Just started it up a few minutes ago to make sure it still works. :p The intro videos are running fine. I think there are still some issues with Riven via ScummVM, but I can't name them off the top of my head. I haven't run into any issues with the game yet. The only difference I see between the required files they list from the Riven DVD, and the files I used, is that even though arcriven.z came included on my DVD, I don't have it on the flash that I have the game files on.

#5 User is offline   FroggieLuvzMacs 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:43 PM

View PostZenoc2, on 02 October 2012 - 12:55 PM, said:

I think I actually ended up downloading a nightly build of ScummVM for Android to get it to work- the version number on my screen reads:

Just started it up a few minutes ago to make sure it still works. :p The intro videos are running fine. I think there are still some issues with Riven via ScummVM, but I can't name them off the top of my head. I haven't run into any issues with the game yet. The only difference I see between the required files they list from the Riven DVD, and the files I used, is that even though arcriven.z came included on my DVD, I don't have it on the flash that I have the game files on.

I tried downloading a nightly build but it won't install. I get an error saying "existing package by the same name with a conflicting signature already installed." This might be a dumb question, if I uninstall the existing ScummVM, will I lose my saved games from the other games that do work?

#6 User is offline   Zenoc2 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:03 PM

View PostFroggieLuvzMacs, on 02 October 2012 - 03:43 PM, said:

View PostZenoc2, on 02 October 2012 - 12:55 PM, said:

I tried downloading a nightly build but it won't install. I get an error saying "existing package by the same name with a conflicting signature already installed." This might be a dumb question, if I uninstall the existing ScummVM, will I lose my saved games from the other games that do work?

I don't know the answer to that one, although it seems to me you likely would. I think it should be possible to copy off your saved games elsewhere, then install the nightly build, then put the saved games into the new install, assuming a similar folder/directory structure. Beyond that, I don't know.

#7 User is offline   FroggieLuvzMacs 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:00 PM

View PostZenoc2, on 02 October 2012 - 06:03 PM, said:

I don't know the answer to that one, although it seems to me you likely would. I think it should be possible to copy off your saved games elsewhere, then install the nightly build, then put the saved games into the new install, assuming a similar folder/directory structure. Beyond that, I don't know.

I got it to work! :D :sepdet: After backing up my saved games, I uninstalled the old Scumm. Then the nightly build installed and after installing the plugins, I could get it to run. Still got the "warning" message but it is able to run. So far the video and sounds play fine, normal gameplay appears ok. The one thing I have noticed though, the save game doesn't seem to work. :bored: I have saved in multiple places and each time the previous save didn't show up. :bored: That's the only bad thing I've come across.

Thanks for your input Zenoc2. :blinky:

So to answer my own question, yes Riven will work on Android. :D

:linking:

#8 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:05 AM

View PostFroggieLuvzMacs, on 02 October 2012 - 11:00 PM, said:

The one thing I have noticed though, the save game doesn't seem to work. :bored: I have saved in multiple places and each time the previous save didn't show up.

The GoG version had problems with saving games. I wonder if any of those fixes would work on Android. ???
http://www.mystcommu...post__p__376238
http://www.mystcommu...post__p__376744
http://www.mystcommu...post__p__378282

#9 User is offline   FroggieLuvzMacs 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:51 PM

View PostA, on 06 October 2012 - 10:05 AM, said:

The GoG version had problems with saving games. I wonder if any of those fixes would work on Android. ???
http://www.mystcommu...post__p__376238
http://www.mystcommu...post__p__376744
http://www.mystcommu...post__p__378282

Thanks for the info!

Well after some experimenting, the save game seems to have fixed itself. ??? It did have a glitch where the file I loaded didn't load in the same spot I saved, but that only happened once. Not sure what's up with that. :arianna: But I have run into another problem. The areas that require a click & drag don't seem to work with my touch screen. :bored: I'm downloading another nightly build to see if it's been fixed yet.

:squee:

#10 User is offline   aander91 

• Forum game like its 2008
  • KI number:00087015

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:13 AM

I can confirm that this DOES work. I have played both Myst and Riven on my Droid X. However, this was a few years back, and have since not had any luck at repeating the conditions in which emulation was possible. ScummVM is absurdly picky.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users