MYSTcommunity: Uru CC on Mountain Lion, no Rosetta? - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Uru CC on Mountain Lion, no Rosetta?

#1 User is offline   olddude 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

Has anybody been able to get the Complete Chronicles to run in Mountain Lion without installing Windows?

I've Drizzled the online components into my CC installation on an older 1.3 GHz PC that's borderline incapable of running some of the new ages. It would be great if I could get Uru to work on my 2.2 GHz MacBook Pro.

I've got the instructions for patching the old Mac Myst Online.app with a new UruLauncher.exe file. I've tried that and it launches and seems ready to run the updater but it has to be force quit for some reason and I have yet to be successfully lured into playing Uru online, so I've gone no further with it.

The Myst games have always been a personal experience that I enjoy progressing through with my own minimal mental resources. I understand that some online ages have problems that need assistance to solve but fly mode is one work-around for that.

It seems to me that if the online version can be made to work without Rosetta, on an Intel Mac with a wrapper, it should be possible to get the stand-alone game to work, no? I realize that I'm asking for assistance with Uru, while online. The irony.

#2 User is offline   foodandart 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:21 AM

Eeep. I tried back and forth using WINE and some other emulators and it just didn't work out. Even had the same issue you've had with the hangs of eternity. I'm not sure what issue there is but since 10.5 I've noticed that a lot of the Windows emulation/WINE-type installations just don't work. My guess would be some hardware security is getting in the way of the Windows drivers accessing the video or audio and it doesn't initialize. May be that Parallels, as a developer of Mac software is getting access to the API's from Apple whereas the lowly emulator devs are not.

I've gotten best luck with an old copy of Parallels version 4 and a Vista restore disk from a Gateway that took a lightning strike.

On thepiratebay, there is a torrent to a patched Uru game - Uru Total Chronicles by bogdahn.exe that has the Drizzle fly-mode built-in and you get that, get the latest offline KI and the Uru Age Manager and install them into a virtual Vista with all the Java updated and you're good to go.

Good luck!

#3 User is offline   olddude 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:17 AM

Thanks foodandart. I'm glad to see that, even with interest in these games evaporating, some people are still hacking away. I've managed to tweak my PC a little and have gotten through the online ages sloooowly. Minkata is a little like walking with anchors on my feet.

The Drizzled game is an interesting fusion of on and offline game play with some fly mode necessary to get through doors you can't open without help. Still fun nonetheless.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users