MYSTcommunity: What would YOU want to see a Myst movie or TV series be about? - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

What would YOU want to see a Myst movie or TV series be about?

#1 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:51 PM

Moderator Note

This is not a thread to discuss the relative merits of the existing Myst movie project. It is especially not to discuss the controversy about the movie's topic and direction, as fans have been asked not to publicly contribute to the controversy. Posts regarding that topic will have that content removed.

There's been a lot of discussion as to how best to translate the Myst universe to a movie/television screen form. Many video game movies work on the principle of adapting the plot of the games directly to screen, but given Myst's lack of an explicit protagonist, that would be a difficult adaptation to make. Converting one of the novels to a movie script (or to a miniseries) has also been suggested, but there are challenges with that direction as well. Occasionally the idea of an entirely new project, taking place in the universe but not at all based on any of the existing material, has been floated.

Now I pose the question to this board: which of those options would you like to see, if you were hypothetically in charge of this project?

#2 User is offline   Kaelri 

• Red Leader
  • Group: Moderator
  • KI number:49612

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

If I had the chance to do one project, I think the Book of Ti'ana would make an outstanding HBO-style miniseries. For my money, it has by far the most compelling and well-rounded cast of characters, a strong central plot, and incredibly rich themes. I'm kind of a nut for political intrigue and revolution tales, so if you put it in my hands, you'd probably end up with something like "The West Wing in D'ni" - fleshing out the mechanics behind Anna's hearings and Veovis's insurrection would be a lot of fun. But there's also plenty of action-sequence material, particularly at the end. Throw in a soundtrack by Bear McCreary and I think we have a winner.

For a completely different alternative: Atrus's journals in the original Myst make a number of enticing, frustratingly-vague references to an Age called "Everdunes," which is apparently populated by a group of people with a leader figure named "Pran" and some malevolent force called the "Chochtic." I have always wanted to know the full story behind that, and perhaps a production that focused on that story and setting, only peripherally including Atrus and Myst, has some potential.

But between the two, I'd pick Ti'ana. I'd stack the heart of that story up against any other epic on its scale, if only someone would do it justice.

#3 User is offline   rivenwanderer 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:00111929

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

I think that the Book of Atrus webcomic is proving that BoA can make an engaging visual story, with plenty of references to the games, explosions, excellent character-driven stuff (I mean, come on, Gehn is such a great villain, so human and complicated and prideful), and even a cute kitty. And the ending leads very obviously to Myst's intro. I would choose it hands-down. I think it can appeal to casual fans (who poked around Myst but never finished it/got into the fandom), hardcore fans, and even people who haven't played the games.

#4 User is offline   Talashar 

• oglahneth (ancient one)
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:00183867

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:18 AM

Rather than an adaptation I'd like to see an original story. An adventure that Atrus and his family had in one or more of the Ages of Myst would be an interesting side story, and its involvement of Myst Island would provide a recognizable tie to the game for the general audience.

#5 User is offline   I'mNotCheating... 

• The Laughing Potato™

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

I'd be quite interested to see something about a group of characters we'd never heard of before, living their day-to-day lives in D'ni and perhaps other ages. Maybe that'd make a terrible film/tv show/anything else, but it's the kind of thing I like to think about.
Maybe a better idea for a TV series would be similar to SG-1, based around a group of Maintainers exploring new ages.

#6 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• Group: Team Member
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

1. (as a movie) The Book of Atrus. It wanders a bit in parts, but I think it's the most compelling of the stories. It's the most MYST-like, with a sense of total wonder and mystery about D'ni, it has a fantastic but very human and relatable villain, it has a bunch of fantastic worlds to look at (D'ni in its decay, Riven in its prime, Gehn's failure Ages in their crumbling mockery of the old glamour of D'ni - it's sort of the Original Trilogy of Star Wars relative to BoT). There's plenty of excuses for nice scenery, action, puzzles and mindgames - but also a very solid character relationship between Atrus and his drunk old dad. A movie could also potentially focus more on Gehn's backstory itself (the "book of Gehn" unknown period) which has all sorts of possible adventure and drama. Then there's a romance, intrigues, fights, and a meaningful fight in the end.
It would need some trimming at points, and maybe some big changes around the middle (but a lot would just be focusing on different parts of Gehn and Atrus' lives in D'ni, different Ages they saw, etc. rather than an explicit retcon or replacement), but it's a solid linear storyline. It has a nice enough appeal on its own to be more than just a story in some strange science fiction setting (it doesn't depend on its setting to be interesting, so it's not just competing to be the coolest setting and displace things like Stargate, Star Trek, or other universes with adventures in other worlds), and it ties in nicely to recognizable parts of the storyline (with enough depth for fans to also enjoy), which maximizes its ability to attract audiences as well.

2. The adventures of Atrus! As a tv series, episodes of various adventures in different Ages (sometimes staying around an age for several episodes, sometimes alternating between a few, and sometimes visiting an Age for only one episode), it would be an enjoyable show. Either:
a. Book of D'ni/Exile era, so Atrus can have a team of characters with him, looking through many old Ages and finding survivor communities occasionally. (this would also work with other survivor groups - even a revamped Esher, or pre-BoA Gehn, searching through the ruins of D'ni. I think it loses a bit of the adventure with a pre-Fallen D'ni, since even the Maintainers have some general idea of the Ages* and there isn't that much sense of exploration and the unknown. It's more mundane)
b. Pre-MYST, with Atrus, Achenar, and Sirrus (as the "good guys" still - although the brothers' competition and darker sides would eventually play more of a role).

*There's ways around this. Perhaps the Maintainers are a special squad for illicit books, which are completely unknown - they also have to be catching criminals and villains of all sorts during these trips. Perhaps the show follows a rich influential family of D'ni... who have underhanded deals in illicit books and the like (suave D'ni politics mixed with dangerous adventures in a morally ambiguous collection of characters). It's less of a stretch, though, if it's Post-Fall and the survivors don't entirely know what they're doing.

#7 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

View PostKaelri, on 07 December 2012 - 09:12 PM, said:

...Atrus's journals in the original Myst make a number of enticing, frustratingly-vague references...

Not to take your comment out of context but it got me thinking I'd like to see a video presentation focusing on all of the journals in the Myst library. (Now why would I want that?) ;)

The stories and missing information in the journals are so compelling they would make a great introduction to Myst. They could even stand alone as a story of someone who can envision worlds and has the power to make them tangible places on which one could set foot and explore. The Ages as written, how the writer saw them when he visited, and the unexpected changes could be dramatic on video. The worlds and unexpected divergences from the written concepts could have appeal beyond those who know them as Myst.

But his would require Cyan to have enough backstory hidden in their minds or archives.

#8 User is offline   Shinkansen 

• Friendly Forum Curmudgeon
  • KI number:00759215

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

Aside from series/miniseries based on the novels (which would need a bit of rewriting to make good TV, especially BoT, as it jumps around quite a bit), I think something based on the life of King Kerath might be fairly interesting. You have adventure, political intrigue, the story of a figure considered to be a hero amongst the D'ni. If done right, I think it could appeal to people who haven't even heard/played the game, as the whole D'ni civilisation/Ages/the Art aspect would be background/worldbuilding and not the main focus of the story.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users