MYSTcommunity: Riven for iPad - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Riven for iPad

#1 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

Well, just purchased the new version of Riven for the I-Pad, haven't installed it yet as I haven't bought an I-Pad yet (on my list) but I did use Riveal to extract all the files...

Now, the claim is that the images are higher res than in the original game, the video clips certainly are and the sound files are a lot better quality too, but....

The original discs held something like 4600+ images, this downloaded file only holds just under 700!

Where are the rest?

There are loads of Ani files, jpgs and a few png files but they are within the 'just under 700' - how do they get the rest of the images?

I know I have extracted this from a Mac file to a PC but Riveal should be able to do that shouldn't it?

Strangely enough, the extracted total file size matches the original downloaded install file so presuambly nothing is compressed and nothing is missing which leaves the question, where are the rest of the images?

Most bizarre...

Addendum:
Just downloaded Riveal 10.5.2 which seems to have sorted the problem, however I would disagree with the claim that the images are high res - in fact they look grainier and more pixelated on zoom than the originals I have from the DVD...

Addendum 2:
All files appear to be 680 x 392 which is the same size as the originals but the file size is slightly smaller implying a lower resolution - a strange outcome for 2 years of hard work???

#2 User is offline   Free Bird 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Admin
  • KI number:343012

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

This is just like people claiming remastered music sounds better, even though it usually doesn't. It's strange, but although humans sometimes have an irrational preference for the old, they also have an irrational preference for the new, sometimes.

By the way, it would be interesting to add the DVD version of Riven to your comparison.

#3 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

View PostFree Bird, on 17 January 2013 - 01:26 PM, said:

This is just like people claiming remastered music sounds better, even though it usually doesn't. It's strange, but although humans sometimes have an irrational preference for the old, they also have an irrational preference for the new, sometimes.

By the way, it would be interesting to add the DVD version of Riven to your comparison.

Yeh, actually they are the DVD files and GOG files that I have (no apparent difference between DVD and GOG), oddly enough the movie files from the IPad version seem to have been altered, they appear to be slightly higher res and slightly brighter which detracts a bit from the mood of Riven.
In a way I am a little disappointed in the quality of the extracted files as I was expecting better - perhaps the quality is higher than the IPhone version?

Still, I will find out how good it looks when I get an Ipad...:cool:

Shame they don't do it for the Android...

#4 User is offline   tbr 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:54 AM

Ugh, that bicubic resizing looks really bad. It's probably the worst possible option, especially with the dithering in the original images. I realize they probably don't have the original stills in higher res, and rerendering everything it not an option. Still I would have preferred either a pixel doubled version (3x would fit the retina iPad pretty ok) or some of those smart fractal resizing algorithms that are around. Then you would have the option of crisp and retro (pixelated), or crisp and slightly fake (fractal).

Blurry just makes my eyes hurt.

Still, looking forward to a completely playable version of the game. Guess I'll have to make some room on the iPad...

#5 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:22 AM

View Posttbr, on 18 January 2013 - 02:54 AM, said:

Ugh, that bicubic resizing looks really bad. It's probably the worst possible option, especially with the dithering in the original images. I realize they probably don't have the original stills in higher res, and rerendering everything it not an option. Still I would have preferred either a pixel doubled version (3x would fit the retina iPad pretty ok) or some of those smart fractal resizing algorithms that are around. Then you would have the option of crisp and retro (pixelated), or crisp and slightly fake (fractal).

Blurry just makes my eyes hurt.

Still, looking forward to a completely playable version of the game. Guess I'll have to make some room on the iPad...

Yes, agreed, given that they have spent 2 years on this you have to wonder if they wouldn't have been better off re-rendering them after all.
I appreciate they had to stay within a 2 Gig limit but how they can claim to have high res images is beyond me, high res compared to what?

#6 User is offline   tbr 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:51 AM

View PostJohnraka, on 18 January 2013 - 03:22 AM, said:

Yes, agreed, given that they have spent 2 years on this you have to wonder if they wouldn't have been better off re-rendering them after all.
I appreciate they had to stay within a 2 Gig limit but how they can claim to have high res images is beyond me, high res compared to what?

Any claim I can find about higher resolution seems to compare with the iPhone version, not the PC/Mac version.

#7 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:59 AM

View Posttbr, on 18 January 2013 - 05:51 AM, said:

View PostJohnraka, on 18 January 2013 - 03:22 AM, said:

Any claim I can find about higher resolution seems to compare with the iPhone version, not the PC/Mac version.

Ah, that would explain everything...

#8 User is offline   033031056 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

Just download this a few minutes ago . . . . and I think it's great !

Finally we have a decent version of Riven for the Ipad.

Glad to see the flying bird as I headed up to the wood clearing area as I really missed it lol

Sad to see the animated water has had to be cut out, no doubt due to space issues, but the images look good and the aminations are great.

Well done to all at Cyan for this, you've made my 2013 . . . thanks guys x

#9 User is offline   033031056 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:39 AM

(Sorry to double post)

And I also am really please to see the fading transitions between scenes is back and working correctly !

For all you new folks out there who have only ever played Riven on a "new" fast PC and have never seem the gentle soft fade from one location to the next .....this is a really immersive feature that seemed to have been lost.

Go into your setting for Riven on your IPad and make the transitions as slow as possible....slide the slider all the way to the left (...I think it's the left !)and enjoy Riven the way it was originally meant to be played.

I think that this lovely clear version will make me play the game from the start....which will be the fist time in years !

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users